• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 won't stay in standby.

Grinchy

Banned
Update 2:
There was definitely something mechanically wrong with it that would never be fixed via software. I had my PS4 replaced and now the standby works perfectly. If you have this issue of the PS4 turning off while in standby, it's defective. In fact, even when you see the orange light, at least in my case, it's not actually even in standby. I found this out with my new, working unit. Standby makes it so you immediately jump right to your User selection screen when you turn it on. Mine was booting up completely every time, even if it was showing the orange light and looked like it was in standby.

Update:
I've tried many things, and none of them have worked. I've tried:
  • Plugging the PS4 directly into the wall instead of the surge protector
  • Initializing the PS4 (basically reformatting it through Safe Mode)
  • Checking and re-checking all power-saving settings
  • Plugging the PS4 into a whole new outlet on its own
None of these things have fixed the issue. Sometimes, when the PS4 shuts itself off while in standby, it then goes through the HDD error check the next time it is turned on. It tells me I shut it down improperly.

Original Post:
I put it in standby, it shuts down and shows the orange light. The next time I walk by, I see the orange light gone and the console is completely shut off. I just noticed this for the 5th time after putting it in standby last night.

I did some light searching and I've brought it up in the standby thread, but I haven't really found any info about this. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is this happening to anyone else?

Stoffinator

Mine just crashed after I left BF4. Wasn't getting any audio in the game, when I left and started Resogun, my controller shut off then the PS4 shut itself off. Some strange things going on.

Blazyr was reporting the same issue too the other day on Twitter

@GarnettLee
Not mad but bummed about my PS4 issue of it not waking from standby when it's been asleep more than an hour or so. Dunno what to do

Thoraxes

Do you have one of those cooky (just wanted to use this word) power saving surge protectors?

If it is, something like that would probably stop feeding it power when it drops to a certain threshold. I have a friend who has one of them.

Grinchy

Banned
How is your PS4 plugged in to the power outlet?

It's plugged into a surge protector. It may even be a "cooky" one lol

Do you have one of those cooky (just wanted to use this word) power saving surge protectors?

If it is, something like that would probably stop feeding it power when it drops to a certain threshold. I have a friend who has one of them.

I'm not actually sure. It's just a cheap black surge protector I bought at Walmart a long time ago. It just seems strange because everything else plugged into it (TV, PS3, ect) does its regular standby routine just fine.

@GarnettLee
Not mad but bummed about my PS4 issue of it not waking from standby when it's been asleep more than an hour or so. Dunno what to do

Interesting, so that sounds like it might be the same thing as my problem. I mean I can turn the system back on just fine, but I can't be in my bed with my Vita at a random time and turn it on for some remote play action.

Try going to Safe mode and Reinitialize it. Heard that fixes it after 1.51.

Will try this, thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
Mine just crashed after I left BF4. Wasn't getting any audio in the game, when I left and started Resogun, my controller shut off then the PS4 shut itself off. Some strange things going on.

Yeah last night when we were playing BF4, after my first crash, my audio was going crazy. Like it sounded like a weird old NES game, and that's when BF4 crashed again. Strange things indeed.

wrowa

The PS4 is your new girlfriend -- and, trust me, you can never shut those off. If she wants to be played with, you better start playing with her or otherwise even worse things will start to happen. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Interesting, so it was still what I assumed was "shut off completely" since it had no orange light. I unplugged it from my surge protector and plugged it into the wall. When I turned it on, it booted into safe mode and did some kind of error check on the HDD.

Could it be that it was in standby but just wasn't showing the orange light?

Tsundere

Banned
Interesting, so it was still what I assumed was "shut off completely" since it had no orange light. I unplugged it from my surge protector and plugged it into the wall. When I turned it on, it booted into safe mode and did some kind of error check on the HDD.

Could it be that it was in standby but just wasn't showing the orange light?

Only way to find out is to wait and see if it happens again.

Time your cold boots and standby boots and then see which one it's closer to.

Coins

Banned
Mine shut down when my controller died. The log said there was an error. Hasn't happened again but then I have kept my controller charged.

Budhapalm

Banned
mine did that, so i plugged it into a different hdmi slot.

working fine now, though that could have been the 1.51 update.

Grinchy

Banned
The PS4 is your new girlfriend -- and, trust me, you can never shut those off. If she wants to be played with, you better start playing with her or otherwise even worse things will start to happen. :p

haha well I'll be sure to pretend I care about my PS4's birthday then

The orange light seems to go away after awhile on mine as well, when placed into standby. I am fairly sure it still is in standby mode though because it boots up pretty quickly.

Cragvis

Make sure your power settings are not set to shut it off after X hours or anything, also make sure all the things you can checkbox to have running while in standby mode, are checked.

Awntawn

Not sure if this is even remotely related (no pun intended) but is starting it back up from standby supposed to show the boot screen and take pretty much just as long as a cold boot? (which isn't really that long at all, just wondering)

Grinchy

Banned
The orange light seems to go away after awhile on mine as well, when placed into standby. I am fairly sure it still is in standby mode though because it boots up pretty quickly.
Yeah this was one of the reasons I was wondering if there was even a problem before. The console does such a fast cold boot that I can't even tell if it's booting from standby or not without getting out a stopwatch.

Make sure your power settings are not set to shut it off after X hours or anything, also make sure all the things you can checkbox to have running while in standby mode, are checked.

Thanks, I did that earlier too.

Saberus

This...

Also, mine was doing some strange things in standby when I first got it, would drop out of (orange) standby, then (white light) but lock up the system. Last firmware updated fix this for me.. stays in standby (orange) until ps button pushed.

SMK

I can turn on the PS4 with my Vita while the light is off. I was under the impression that the light will come on if it's updating something but that's just a guess.

Dukey

Banned
Doesn't happen to mine. I have noticed that standby isn't an advantage over turning it off in regards to speed though. From Off and from standby, the PS4 gets to the main UI pretty darned fast.

Power settings won't shut off a PS4 in stand-by mode.

OSHAN

I thought the same, but then when I powered it back on and checked notifications, it had downloaded some patches, so yeah, check the notifications and see if there was any activity.

boohowc

Banned

@GarnettLee

It sounds like Garnett fixed his issue. Take a look at this twitter (buried in there somewhere)...there was some suggestion one of his followers posted that seems to be working for him so far. Worth a shot.

xBuTcHeRx

Creepiest shit happened to me this morning. I wake up, I've left my PS4 on standby all night to download games, I wake up and then all of a sudden my PS4 turns on. Right when I wake up! I have neither controller near me, I put them away separately with enough space not to hit the PS button. creepy shiiit!

Dukey

Banned
Creepiest shit happened to me this morning. I wake up, I've left my PS4 on standby all night to download games, I wake up and then all of a sudden my PS4 turns on. Right when I wake up! I have neither controller near me, I put them away separately with enough space not to hit the PS button. creepy shiiit!

Did it want you to play Thermoglobal Nuclear War?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not sure if this is even remotely related (no pun intended) but is starting it back up from standby supposed to show the boot screen and take pretty much just as long as a cold boot? (which isn't really that long at all, just wondering)

I kind of want to know this too. What are we supposed to see in standby boot (fro orange light) vs. full boot (from no light at all)? I see the health warning on both. Not sure about the logo. In any case, they both take the same amount of time.

Saberus

Got the camera? they are watching :p

Bowler

I have a completely different issue. If the console is in stand by. As soon as I open the companion ps app. It turns on. I turned off second screen. Why would the console still turn on?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Reinitalizing your PS4 from standby mode fixes the issue apparently, according to that Twitter guy. That's what he did and it worked for him.

Try it out OP.

Grinchy

Banned
Reinitalizing your PS4 from standby mode fixes the issue apparently, according to that Twitter guy. That's what he did and it worked for him.

Try it out OP.

Yeah I might do that, as LiK suggested too, but it'll be one of the last things I try since it deletes all the data and settings on the system. It's not the end of the world to have to reinstall all my games and set everything back up, but it's enough of a hassle that I'll hold off for now.

Saberus

DO NOT have PS camera. It is the weirdest thing the PS4 has ever done. Aside from this, all of you having standby issues, a FW update by SONY might remedy this prob.

Yeah.. or as other said.. just to Reinitialize the system in safe mode seems to fix issues.

Then mine is fucked too. From standby I get a message stating to check the health warnings before it finally loads the UI. The video you linked is how I imagine suspend would work.
It seems pretty weird. In the harddrive thread people were reporting very different times as well and for some it worked instantaneous and for some not at all. I think the word was that the PS4 behaves differently when you send it into standby while it is still downloading stuff. Maybe the PS4 is actually in some form of suspend mode and goes into standby after downloads are finished? I dunno.

This needs further testing for sure.

Theeze

Neo Member
Don't think that is correct, stock hard drive shows both Sony logo and health warning from standby. I know its functioning in standby because I can start the console from my Vita/Phone.

I think those fast boots happen when it's downloading something or has some kind of activity during standby, which is why it's able to wake up so quickly.

When the ps4 is idle, the standby acts as a cold boot.

kenta

Has no PEINS
It seems pretty weird. In the harddrive thread people were reporting very different times as well and for some it worked instantaneous and for some not at all. I think the word was that the PS4 behaves differently when you send it into standby while it is still downloading stuff. Maybe the PS4 is actually in some form of suspend mode and goes into standby after downloads are finished? I dunno.

This needs further testing for sure.
I think this theory has some merit. On a typical day when I boot from standby (orange light), I get the health warning and PS logo. But there have been times when I'll start a long download and set it into standby, then come back to check progress and it boots up super quick like in the video a few posts up.

Perhaps there are two "levels" of standby, like napping and REM sleep. Feels like the PS4 is napping when downloading something, but goes into REM when it's got no reason to be active

Top Bottom