• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's road to success in home consoles, an analysis of how it could be achieved

This is a thread I have been wanting to make a for a while, and since it's the end of the day and the markets have closed in London I have a bit of spare time to do it.

First I will outline the issues faced by Nintendo in the home console market with the Wii U, then move onto short term fixes of specific issues, and finally onto large structural changes I believe will help them move into a healthier position in the medium term.

Problems:

1. The name. It does not convey that it is a new console, this point has been made over and over again by many people before me, there is nothing new I can add to the argument.

2. Price. It does not have a price equivalent to its performance level (PS3/360 performance for $100 more).

3. The differentiator is poor. The U-tablet controller is a poor concept and has not translated into mass market acceptance in the same manner as the Wii remote was and neither has it captured the attention of hardcore gamers who view it as cumbersome or technically deficient in key areas such as having a poor resolution, non-capacitive, and non-multitouch.

4. The information blackout for future titles. I am a relatively hardcore gamer and I couldn't tell you what future titles are coming for the Wii U other than Bayonetta, Smash, Kart and a Zelda title.

5. Information dissemination preaches to the converted. Nintendo Directs are a poor idea as they only attract Nintendo fans and only talk to people who either already have a Wii U or are interested in buying one. They do not speak to the wider public that bought the Wii or are interested in buying a next gen system.

6. It is deficient in terms of hardware power compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. The system power is not close enough to true next gen consoles to warrant cheap or easy ports by third parties once the generation transition is complete and the non-annualised series are no longer released on current gen systems.

7. The advertising has been piss-poor. This is a major point that many like to seize on as being the single most important issue that the Wii U has faced. It is important, but not as important as others. Nintendo's advertising preaches to the converted. The latest SM3DW advert in the UK makes no mention that the Wii U is a completely new system or that it is a HD console like the PS3/360/PS4/XB1. People who know that the Wii U is a new console are not the target market since they have likely made their minds up on whether or not to purchase it.

8. Third party support is basically dead after the release of Watchdogs.

Moving onto short term fixes for these points.

1. Rename the system to the Wii U HD. It keeps the "U" brand that they have been using for their games so far, but it denotes that it is a whole new console that has HD graphics which the Wii did not have so the implication that it is an all new console is there.

2. Nothing can be done here, Nintendo are currently suffering from low volume penalties and poor design choices with their CPU/GPU which do not allow it to move to more modern process nodes. Cutting the price without cutting features will just worsen their losses for little to no gain.

3. For better or worse they are stuck with the tablet controller concept. Redesign the tablet to make it less rounded, have a flush screen surface like the iPad. Make it look like a serious gaming tablet, not a cheap looking chunk of plastic. This may only be a visual point but I think it affects the overall impression the system gives as being kid friendly without a kid-friendly price. A redesign away from the same white plastic as the Wii for the whole system will help differentiate it better.

4. This is a big point for me personally. One that I really don't understand either. In normal times keeping suspense of future titles is a desirable policy. However, the Wii U is not currently in a normal market, it is selling significantly worse than any home console from either Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony or Sega before it. Instead of an information blackout Nintendo need to do the exact opposite and release a future roadmap of software which is coming from their first parties, each title should have regular updates and trailers so potential are kept in the loop on what they are going to miss out on from Nintendo's first party. Sensible people do not buy into an ecosystem that they think will not have a future of solid game releases.

5. Nintendo have gone from speaking to everyone to speaking only to the hardcore. How this happened I don't know, but it has. While they have never really attended TGS or Gamescom, they did used to have a big presence at E3. This year there was nothing buy a ND and some weird event in Best Buy. In the face of superior media/PR operations that Sony and Microsoft have, Nintendo have stupidly retreated and the level of coverage they get from the enthusiast media is appreciably worse, while coverage from mainstream media is non-existent, at least in the UK. They must row back on this strategy and fast. They need to go back to speaking to everyone and getting mainstream coverage. That means building up relationships again and courting the media, not being antagonistic or excluding them from events. Convert the masses, do not just preach to the converted.

6. Too late to do anything. Nintendo must rely on their first party output more than ever. They must look at a big expansion of western/non-Japanese game development.

7. In addition to changing the name to Wii U HD, the advertising strategy must change. Every single Wii U advert must mention that the Wii U is not the Wii. They did it successfully for the 3DS. That they are in the same situation for two successive console releases is lamentable but it can be overcome with good advertising. For now the Nintendo have not shown any new gaming experience that can be had with the tablet controller, but off-screen play is surely the most useful feature. With Sony seemingly making a big play of Remote Play on PS4+Vita there could be an opportunity to showcase a similar feature and make a big deal of the price differential between PS4+Vita vs Wii U ($600 vs $300). People who are interested in off-screen gaming should be steered towards a Wii U instead of PS4+Vita.

8. Saving the biggest issue for last, poor third party support is the single biggest issue Nintendo face with the Wii U. In order to make the Wii U competitive Nintendo must either go grovelling to the major third party publishers and port the games themselves or they must create knock off franchises internally. Third party support is gone and not coming back without a massive amount of effort now. Creating knock off franchises internally puts Nintendo in a strong position going from Wii U to its successor as well since people know they will receive sports games (Football, NFL, NBA, MLB are the major ones), a high quality shooter, RPGs, action titles like AC. It also puts Nintendo in a strong bargaining position for future third party support as they can drop their internal titles in favour of guaranteed third party support for future consoles much like Microsoft's deal with EA over NFL and XBLG.

Finally, moving onto longer term issues for Nintendo that need to be addressed, Mario fatigue has set in, IMO. People seem less and less bothered about the latest Mario title than they used to be. That could be because the generation that played Mario as kids have grown up and they are less interested or because we have had so many mainline Mario titles in the last few years (NSMB, SMG, NSMBWii, SMG2, NSMB2, SM3DL, NSMBU). Whatever it is, they need to rethink their "throw a Mario game at it" strategy. There has been a dearth of internally developed new IP. Part of the attraction of buying Nintendo systems has always been new and different gaming experiences as well as safe fun ones from Mario games. Ever since Nintendo lost Rare the creative new IP has disappeared and they are farming out new IP to lesser developers. That may mean a much larger expansion of internal development than is currently planned so they are ready for next gen and not caught unawares by HD development like they were with the Wii U.

This is not meant to be an attack on Nintendo. I am a long time fan of them, but in recent years they have left me cold and I believe this is true for a lot of other people as well, as evidenced by Wii U sales. I also understand that they are doing okay with their portables division, I have left it out of the OP because it is not relevant.

liquidtmd

Banned
Some great points OP.

Nintendo's actual strategy:

1) release console
2) leave for a year
3) remember people like games to play, complain HD is super hard to do
4) release Mario
5) something
6) remove pants
7) profit

No it ain't that bad. Their biggest sin is no games I really care about (self centred admittedly) to make me buy their console promptly. They'll be at that point probably in 6-12months but were talking 2 years post launch

I can afford one. I want one but I just don't NEED one. Give me an FZero. A Metroid. Make REmake 2 happen ala GC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Definitely some solid points in the OP. Personally, I think the biggest failing is Nintendo's inability to decide who their target audience is. They can say "everyone," but "everyone" doesn't love them back. They need to focus in on who the most viable audiences are, who are most likely to accept the product as it is right now, and cater to them. Without some sort of real install base, they can't turn this ship around.

Zalman

1. Rename the system to the Wii U HD. It keeps the "U" brand that they have been using for their games so far, but it denotes that it is a whole new console that has HD graphics which the Wii did not have so the implication that it is an all new console is there.
Even with that name, people won't understand what it actually is. I think it's too late to change it without making it too confusing for the average consumer.

What they need to do for the next round is to drop the Wii name. Something like "Nintendo 7" would be great.

Finally, moving onto longer term issues for Nintendo that need to be addressed, Mario fatigue has set in, IMO. People seem less and less bothered about the latest Mario title than they used to be. That could be because the generation that played Mario as kids have grown up and they are less interested or because we have had so many mainline Mario titles in the last few years (NSMB, SMG, NSMBWii, SMG2, NSMB2, SM3DL, NSMBU). Whatever it is, they need to rethink their "throw a Mario game at it" strategy.
I don't think they should stop making Mario games. One "New" game and 1-2 3D games per console is fine. What they need to do is think about their other franchises as well. Where's Star Fox? Where's F-Zero? Diversity is always a good thing and they can clearly do better than what we have now.

That leads me to, in my opinion, Nintendo's biggest problem nowadays that you haven't mentioned: They don't have enough teams, and those they do have are clearly understaffed. They need to be able to get these games out faster and more regularly. Expanding Retro Studios would be a start. It would be amazing if they could get high profile games like Mario and Donkey Kong out every month. By doing this, they will naturally build a bigger installbase which then leads to more third party support.

I'm way too tired to write about all points, but this just woke me up. Source for this bullshit?

Extrapolation from performance from previous third-party releases, most likely. Either that or the OP really does have insider information (and I wouldn't doubt the information he has).

Danlord

I wouldn't like to think Nintendo would underestimate the importance of hardware performance, especially as they have considerations for pricing, reliability and taking the lesser risks for manufacturing and thermal envelopes of their devices, but I think the issue of hardware power is one that is their biggest, inherent flaw in the console. The marketing of HD has long since been a selling point as now it's really a given, and for example "Presenting Mario in an all new HD experience" sounds like an advert from 6 years ago and that offers no advantage to the consumer when most have seen/experienced HD console gaming from an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3; this also ties into your point of the differentiator I think.

I think a complete rebrand should be in order. Perhaps akin to PlayStation 3 to PS3 with the Slim introduction. The marketing changed, the console physically changed and sales, whilst still strong to a degree further strengthened and managed to compete with a more aggressive pricing value.

I haven't played with a Wii U, so I will not like to comment too much about the Gamepad, but I think for a primary function of a console, I can understand Nintendo's idea/principle for the tablet, they've become so prevalent to tens of millions of people globally it's not hard to suggest that it wouldn't be popular, but for a console it's a different market, hence the huge difference in games that cost 59p and those that cost £45 (although odd few like Angry Birds is just terrible).

plank

this thread has never been made before.

Edit: Good points but it seems like they have been iterated already.

Guevara

I agree: 3rd party support is dead and never coming back.

What Nintendo needs to do is find 20M more people willing to buy a Nintendo console for only Nintendo games.

Banned
I'm way too tired to write about all points, but this just woke me up. Source for this bullshit?
No major third party games for 2014 are announced for Wii U? That's his source.

No MGSV, KH3, FFXV, NHL, Madden, FIFA, dragon age III, destiny, etc. Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros are pretty much the only western third parties on board. No EA, Square, Namco, Take Two, etc. Capcom is the only major third party in japan supporting it.

liquidtmd

Banned

Source wise I don't think many will flat out come and say it, but look at what's happening. You had a perversely odd situation in the UK confirmed at least where PS4 COD Ghosts was outselling the Wii U version at the start of this month and the machine still isn't out officially for two days.

What the OP is saying isn't a stretch at all

Nice post. My feeling is that the lacklustre sales are a combination of brand fatigue/indifference and poor messaging. Sticking with the Wii brand was probably a bad idea, despite its huge userbase. Nintendo should have recognized that the Wii was plagued by problems -- rampant piracy, a library filled with low quality shovelware (in addition to a bunch of good games of course), and dwindling support in its last couple of years. Many of the consumers who own a Wii probably don't have a very positive opinion of it by this point (if they think about it at all), and the audience that grew up with the system is probably ready to move on to other things. A fresher brand might have generated interest.

I think the launch of the Wii U was obviously very rushed (as evidenced by the unfinished operating system and lack of top software), and as a result Nintendo found themselves unable/unwilling to really get behind and promote the system. It took almost a full year before the system looked anything like what it was probably originally envisioned to be. In that year the Wii U accumulated a lot of negative sentiment, and that negativity will be hard to shake.

A redesign is a good idea, though I personally really like the hardware. The biggest issue in that regard is that the system doesn't really sell itself until you've lived with it for a while. It's become a highly integrated part of my life now, serving as a games machine, internet device, and video platform, but it took months before I realized how useful it could be, and how pleasant the user experience is. It's very tough to communicate that in an in-store demo or a commercial.

I personally don't think there's much they can do at this point but to continue to put out as much high quality software as they can and market to Nintendo fans and families. I have long thought/hoped that this holiday season could be a good chance to turn around the Wii U's fortunes, with people now aware of the next generation of video games they are beginning to explore the options. Wii U is the least expensive and most family friendly system, and has what many consider to be the best library of exclusives along with features other systems don't offer out of the box. The fact that the development community has mostly abandoned the system really hurts, as key demographics (sports game fans, for example) are likely to pass completely.

I'd like to see Nintendo focus a bit more on developing interesting non-gaming apps for the Wii U, or encouraging devs who normally make apps for iOS and Android to start putting their stuff in the eShop. There's a lot of untapped potential there in my opinion.

Majine

Banned
I hope they come out with a console comparable in power to PS4/Xbone in the middle of this generation. Maybe then third parties will come back.

I think a complete rebrand should be in order. Perhaps akin to PlayStation 3 to PS3 with the Slim introduction. The marketing changed, the console physically changed and sales, whilst still strong to a degree further strengthened and managed to compete with a more aggressive pricing value.

Sony spent literal billions to save the PS3. Nintendo can't afford to do that, period. The Wii U cannot be turned around on the same scale that the PS3 has, but it can be used to better position Nintendo for their next console.

They need a better name. Better advertising.

Most importantly, I think they need to buy some Western studios and set Retro on some Western-style games.

If 3rd parties don't want to support the system, Nintendo needs to step up and provide the games that 3rd parties are supposed to be producing. Licensed games will be difficult, but I don't doubt that Nintendo can cover many more genres than they currently are.

The Wii-U is a fundementally flawed device. It's not related to graphics, the name or the UI. What made Wii so great was its novelty and its mass approach. Nintendno made the wrong bet with the controler as its core UX component. Considering the current sales traction, even after the release of some of Nintnendo's most popular games, there is nothing that can be done to salvage this platform. They should kill it off slowly and move forward.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nintendo needs to make a console people want to buy. That's really it. The Wii U shows a remarkable ignorance in terms of why people like videogame consoles, tablets, etc. They just completely misread the market and released a bad product nobody wants.

Better graphics isn't the problem and advertising sure as heck isn't.

The Wii-U is a fundementally flawed device. It's not related to graphics, the name or the UI. What made Wii so great was its novelty and its mass approach. Nintendno made the wrong bet with the controler as its core UX component. Considering the current sales traction, even after the release of some of Nintnendo's most popular games, there is nothing that can be done to salvage this platform. They should kill it off slowly and move forward.
Yes they made a bad bet. However, killing the system off son early will end their involvement in home consoles for a long time. People hate when support for their devices are ended early.

Baleoce

I don't think Wii U HD would be very helpful to consumers either tbh. It just needs to be called anything else. Mass market still doesn't know what a Wii U really is, so having HD on the end isn't going to help the cause. They just need different branding altogether.

hipgnosis

They should release a handheld-home console-hybrid. A handheld you can plug into your TV and have HD graphics, but be portable at the same time whenever you're not home. This way you could put all your development resources into one console. After the life-cycle of the current consoles of course.

diffusionx

Gold Member
8. Saving the biggest issue for last, poor third party support is the single biggest issue Nintendo face with the Wii U. In order to make the Wii U competitive Nintendo must either go grovelling to the major third party publishers and port the games themselves or they must create knock off franchises internally. Third party support is gone and not coming back without a massive amount of effort now. Creating knock off franchises internally puts Nintendo in a strong position going from Wii U to its successor as well since people know they will receive sports games (Football, NFL, NBA, MLB are the major ones), a high quality shooter, RPGs, action titles like AC. It also puts Nintendo in a strong bargaining position for future third party support as they can drop their internal titles in favour of guaranteed third party support for future consoles much like Microsoft's deal with EA over NFL and XBLG.

What is missing from this analysis: the fact that creating games is really expensive and this would require a massive effort, effort that would be taken away from Nintendo's other games. And I really doubt someone who is interested in COD or Battlefield or NFS will be tempted to buy a Wii U instead of a PS4/XBO due to a bunch of Nintendo-made knock-offs. Why do that when you can just get the real thing?

Zalman

They should release a handheld-home console-hybrid. A handheld you can plug into your TV and have HD graphics, but be portable at the same time whenever you're not home. This way you could put all your development resources into one console.
I think this is a smart idea going forward if they could make it work.

The Wii U will die an early death regardless. Nintendo should not be prematurely killing the platform, they should be using the time to better position themselves. They shouldn't be "moving forward" in a next console, they should be moving forward now with the one they have.

There's nothing wrong Nintendo except their marketing. That is all.

If they push the Wii U as hard as Microsoft and Sony have been pushing theirs, maybe they'd have a shot at the crown again.

Whatever it is, they need to rethink their "throw a Mario game at it" strategy. There has been a dearth of internally developed new IP. Part of the attraction of buying Nintendo systems has always been new and different gaming experiences as well as safe fun ones from Mario games.

Lego City, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 all fell on their arses this year and you can't work out why they aren't bothering with new ip or stuff like f-zero/starfox (for the guy who mentioned them).

Mik317

They should release a handheld-home console-hybrid. A handheld you can plug into your TV and have HD graphics, but be portable at the same time whenever you're not home. This way you could put all your development resources into one console. After the life-cycle of the current consoles of course.

This continues to be the worst idea everyone thinks is good.

Even if the Wii U is bombing hard, killing off one source of revenue to focus on one is stupid and will always be stupid. Sony can kill the Vita because they have other sources of income....Nintendo can't. This hybrid system would have to sell DS numbers PLUS more for that to even make sense.

Mashing

They really need to expand. They've made their bed, so now they have to sleep in it. By that I mean they've destroyed any 3rd party relationships they have so they're going to have to float the system themselves. They really need to start hiring more talent, open more studios. To Nintendo, this is probably not cost efficient though. NCL needs to let their US/EU branches be more independent. Let them go out and court 3rd parties, acquire talent and build studios.

Danlord

Sony spent literal billions to save the PS3. Nintendo can't afford to do that, period. The Wii U cannot be turned around on the same scale that the PS3 has, but it can be used to better position Nintendo for their next console.

I can't pull sources here, so I'm hoping you'll take my word for it or someone will post it but Nintendo do have cash reserves in the billions of dollars, and since their income is console gaming, they can't afford not to spend billions in rebuilding the console they've launched. The issue of whether they should spend money investing in boosting the Wii U to a more favourable position OR preparing the console for a new piece of hardware in 2-4 years is another matter. I personally think Nintendo should release a new console within the 2-4 years timeframe as I mentioned, and go back to controller-based console gaming; just make it back to the old Nintendo with a solid controller and coupled with solid games they're famous for doing.

Abounder

Banned
The name was way too confusing

Who knows how they can save the console but my suggestion would be to bundle more AAA games

If they do kill the Wii U early then they should offer a discount for existing customers somehow

Nintendo also needs to do a better job marketing:

No online paywall
Local multiplayer especially now that most games are only online for multi

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't pull sources here, so I'm hoping you'll take my word for it or someone will post it but Nintendo do have cash reserves in the billions of dollars, and since their income is console gaming, they can't afford not to spend billions in rebuilding the console they've launched. The issue of whether they should spend money investing in boosting the Wii U to a more favourable position OR preparing the console for a new piece of hardware in 2-4 years is another matter. I personally think Nintendo should release a new console within the 2-4 years timeframe as I mentioned, and go back to controller-based console gaming; just make it back to the old Nintendo with a solid controller and coupled with solid games they're famous for doing.

That's the thing. Nintendo could have a couple of failed consoles and still not worry too much (well, financially, at least.) They have a stupid amount of cash on hand.

Nintendo should not be consolidating their hardware revenue streams into one.

What they should be doing is creating a next-gen handheld that leverages a cross-platform architecture so that games made for the handheld can be ported immediately to the console. Then create console games that distinguish themselves from handheld offerings.

Brofield

The Nintendo Directs are the only point I would disagree with you, or at least try to improve on.

The only relationship Nintendo has worse with than 3rd party devs and pubs are the mainstream gaming journalism industry. Enthusiast sites are all fine and dandy, but like the directs it only speaks to those who have interest.

Nintendo had no choice. Most big publications can't let a press release fly without inserting a subtle or even blatant jab at Nintendo, and despite moderation rules they turn a blind eye to allow their commentators to incessantly flame, whine and troll. This does have a significant effect on the casual observer who looks for public opinion.

Reggie has every right to ignore the gaming press, and Directs are the only logical way for them to present information that will put a smile on your face by getting you hyped for their products. They should be looking for a way to get them out there to a mainstream audience, but even if they did manage to organize their airdates instead of the night before and put them on TV instead of exclusively online, who would air them? G4TV of yesteryear with the tolerable Sessler and insufferable Morgan Webb? Spike TV with it's already established audience that it couldn't spare to lose?

Nintendo Directs are the many aces up their sleeve, but understandably they have to use them only once in a while. At the same time, they need to let hype build a little longer then the night before, and let off the 2014 blackout.

The Nintendo Directs are the only point I would disagree with you, or at least try to improve on.

The only relationship Nintendo has worse with than 3rd party devs and pubs are the mainstream gaming journalism industry. Enthusiast sites are all fine and dandy, but like the directs it only speaks to those who have interest.

Nintendo had no choice. Most big publications can't let a press release fly without inserting a subtle or even blatant jab at Nintendo, and despite moderation rules they turn a blind eye to allow their commentators to incessantly flame, whine and troll. This does have a significant effect on the casual observer who looks for public opinion.

Reggie has every right to ignore the gaming press, and Directs are the only logical way for them to present information that will put a smile on your face by getting you hyped for their products. They should be looking for a way to get them out there to a mainstream audience, but even if they did manage to organize their airdates instead of the night before and put them on TV instead of exclusively online, who would air them? G4TV of yesteryear with the tolerable Sessler and insufferable Morgan Webb? Spike TV with it's already established audience that it couldn't spare to lose?

Nintendo Directs are the many aces up their sleeve, but understandably they have to use them only once in a while. At the same time, they need to let hype build a little longer then the night before, and let off the 2014 blackout.

If the gaming press has a problem with Nintendo, then they should identify those problems and have a better relationship with them. The gaming press serve to an audience that Nintendo historically does not have access to, so the more outlets they can use the better. Nintendo Directs should be used in conjunction, rather than a replacement.

wildfire

Banned
This post is good but it's criminal you did nothing to speculate on and offer solutions to the problems with convincing 3rd parties to adopt the Wii U.

hipgnosis

This continues to be the worst idea everyone thinks is good.

Even if the Wii U is bombing hard, killing off one source of revenue to focus on one is stupid and will always be stupid. Sony can kill the Vita because they have other sources of income....Nintendo can't. This hybrid system would have to sell DS numbers PLUS more for that to even make sense.

Is the Wii U even profitable? Developing those HD titles must be expensive as fuck and they do not sell well. Add marketing etc. and it's a money sink. If Mario isn't moving this console then what is?

If they want to keep up with the Wii U then renaming it might be a good idea. On the other that would cause even more confusion.

Yes they made a bad bet. However, killing the system off son early will end their involvement in home consoles for a long time. People hate when support for their devices are ended early.
That's probably why he said "slowly". They can't kill it off instantly for that very reason (and your addition about people hating device support ending's true enough; just look at Sega and short-lived debacles like the 32X), but they'll definitely have to kill it sooner than later. Maybe a 3-to-4-year lifespan instead of the usual 5-to-6-year lifespans Nintendo consoles enjoy.

That didn't really hurt Xbox 360. The consumers are sheep, they'll buy a new platform if has an interesting eco system. They should release the Wii-U games that are still in the pipeline and start prepearing for something else.

Running from one fire with the 3DS to another with the WiiU. I don't think they can get away with announcing much more vaporware. I think they were pushing their luck with Zelda as it is.

I think a system redesign would be smart and the PS2 slim proved that you can do premium quality on a tight budget. I would rather be kept in the dark until they have game play to show. Having logos and mock up box art thrown around for two years and the chalk board is embarrassing.

I'd love to see Nintendo last a year without releasing a Mario title. It would be an interesting year for sure.

Top Bottom