• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF December Meet Up: Bah humbug!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

UxzOcf4.jpg

Twas a few nights before Christmas and not a creature was stirring
Except for in the city that never sleeps.
NYC GAF was at a bar being merry and drinking,
Not a tear in their eyes, not a single person weeping,
Only tears of laughter in their eyes,
Talks of GAF thread and life in general being the heart of conversations.
Drinks flowed in the dim glow of bars,
GAF members came from near and far.
And standing with a mug in his hand amidst the crowd,
A tall man who only went by the online name of Jipan,
With a grin in his face welcoming all,
be they GAF members or GAF fans
This was the last meet up of the year hear,
Come one come all
For the next one won't be until next February
Twas what he said.

After an inquiry about a next meet up (hi 140.86 ;p), we're back in business for one last time this year. The last time a meet up thread graced Off-Topic was on a beautiful hot July Sunday afternoon and at NY Comic Con a few months later (hi CowMengde).

Date: Saturday December 21st (tentative but pretty 51% sure) since final exams be a thing of the past by then.
Place: Valhalla (54th and 9th) yet again then where ever the reindeer or Yelp takes us from there.
Time: UPDATE: Everyone is running behind schedule. Therefore, be there at 7:30 (lol). Apologies for the inconveniences. I know the MTA on the weekend is complete garbage.

Guests (as always it's open to lurkers, Juniors, regulars, tourist GAF, etc.):
Me
GK86
Domcorleone
Brawl96
tbm24
TheLastWizard
SethC
avixph(?)
Penguin (maybe)
Pein
FuriousBearMan (neé Birdhammer; maybe)
Devil Trigger

Wall of Shame (you guys are gonna get a lump of coal :p):

Optional Side Quests:
  • Suit up: Wear a suit or some shoes, jeans, and a blazer underneath the jacket. Look like a boss.
  • The gift that keeps on giving: Buy someone a (cheap) drink or repay a member for getting you in the past in some capacity if you're a regular.

Happy holidays and to fellow college students, good luck getting those final projects/papers done, study hard, and best of luck on exams.

If you're leaving out of town on that day or have plans already, see ya in February at The Gaf redux. Date/time TBA.

Jhoan

Slightly drunk but the drinks are anywhere from 6-12 bucks at that place but it's a damn fine place to talk crap at. For the poor college student, I'll advise 20 bucks being decent to survive a night. 2-3 drinks tops; beers being cheapest. Drinking limit is good for getting home in 1 piece and budgeting. Best thing about the place is beer + wings.

Not suprised this thread is dead on arrival. Should've done my part and bumped it. Will do that on and off. I'm buying one of you dudes a drink. Where's the meet up spirit at sons?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You can put me down then. I can spend $20. I'm down to talk crap and drink a few beers with gaffers. I didn't get to go the last time around.

Tom_Cody

I would like to come but things get really difficult this time of year. I will aim to come but I'm not a definite.

dreamfall

Goodness, I would so love to be there.

But my year of living in the city is coming to a close- I fear :/

I think I'm leaving this grad school program- it's been a tough year! I'm moving back to D.C., trying to figure out what could be next.

For all of NYC GAF, enjoy yourselves! Your city is neat- although I'll forever feel like a bit of an outsider!

Jhoan

Sorry guys, I'm exhausted. Running on 0 hrs of sleep after pulling an all nighter on making a game that was due today. Come next Thursday, I'll be more or less free (still owe a few 3D Animation hw's). I don't mind a small crew in all honesty. I'll start updating the OP.

So smokey's got a girlfriend now eh? I was curious about what happened with that girl you flirted with back at the 21 Steps a couple of months ago. Never would've imagined it.

Jhoan

Sorry for the DP, but I've updated the OP.

To answer avixph's question, at the last couple of meet ups, we've been mum on pics to respect people's privacy. But usually pics of beers or other stuff surface if it's not members; I usually like to document a few things. As a whole, yes there pics in other meet up threads.

By the way, when I meant $20 would be decent, I forgot to add that's if you're a super cheapskate and don't tip bartenders. Or you can always take the super Scrooge way out and order water like a couple of GAF members have done in the past. Either way, if someone gets drunk, we got your back and beer plus wings is heaven. I'll see if I hit up a few other GAF members I haven't contacted in a few months to see what's shakin'.

Jhoan

Damn man, I would but the most of my apartment is in disarray since it's getting fixed including the bathroom which is getting a paint job. Plus would need to give my mom a heads up even though at this po int in life, bringing a girl over is fine so it would probably be fine.

I would recommend posting in the NYC thread to see if you get any hits there as this is isn't the best thread for it. Only trade off is it's in Community so you won't get as much visibility. Conversely, you can make a thread announcing you'll be in town. It's your call to make.

Seth C

Damn man, I would but the most of my apartment is in disarray since it's getting fixed including the bathroom which is getting a paint job. Plus would need to give my mom a heads up even though at this po int in life, bringing a girl over is fine so it would probably be fine.

I would recommend posting in the NYC thread to see if you get any hits there as this is isn't the best thread for it. Only trade off is it's in Community so you won't get as much visibility. Conversely, you can make a thread announcing you'll be in town. It's your call to make.

I don't mind some disarray! I welcome it. I love in my car for crying out loud.

Seth C

So I'm guessing no, but is there any chance we can do this the 20th, Friday? If so, I can make it. If not I can't. :(

Jhoan

Haven't been updating the thread because I've been busy studying/taking exams all day. Next 2 days are gonna be hell for me animating and modeling stuff. I'll become more active after 7PM on Wednesday. I'll be lurking in the mean time but it's serious time.

Jhoan

Time for a bumpdate. I have good news, I have bad news.

The bad news is I'm pretty sure I'm about to get my first F depending on what my professor says in the email I sent him (gut says I won't be getting extra time since I owe 3 hws on top of the final). I've already accepted it and won't beat myself up over it. But I do vow to clean up my procrastinating habits for good.

The good news is the meet up is still on. While it's going to be overcast, it won't be snowing thankfully but I'll be keeping an eye on the weather since NYC weather is unpredictable at times.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing the folks that show up more than ever. No, this doesn't mean I'll be drowning my academic sorrows away in copious amounts of alcohol and get stupid drunk much to lurkers' entertainment and regulars' horror. On the contrary, I have a reason to celebrate GAF, celebrate the end of a tumultous semester with my GAF compadres. That's better than an F any day. Wouldn't you all agree?

Jhoan

So the weather conditions for Saturday are improving; 54 degrees high, 48 low with showers in the afternoon. Hopefully it'll clear out by the night.

I don't really have anything else to add other than the fact that I'll be around the forum. I'll post again in a couple of hours if no one else bumps the thread in between then. I'm hoping to get a few more people on board but again, I'm content with current tentative list.

Jhoan

1 day left folks. Might be having a few lurkers join in which case, I welcome with open arms. Again, anyone's welcome to come as long they're 21+, have ID/passport, and a decent amount of money (again, setting a drinking limit helps with budgeting).

And before fence sitters go "dur, this is gonna be awkward," been there, done that. It's only awkward if you make it awkward for yourself. Either way, nobody bites.

I'll pop in again later tonight. Hasta luego GAF compadres.

Jhoan

It's all about the wings man. It's why we've been there a few times in past meet ups. Beer and wings is absolutely heaven. Even though I got hangover the next day, I can still remember the wings we had last year with the pricey Hitachino Red Wine beer ($12) next to Pein (which was courtesy of GAF member mintylurb who bought all the wings for the crew).

It's too bad they won't be selling them for a cent when we get there. In fact, as far as I know I don't think they do sell 1 cent wings after 1AM any more. Not like it matters any way since we'll be long gone by then.

I mentioned this in the OP but I don't know where we'll be heading to next. If anyone wants to throw out a few places, feel free to do so. Otherwise, we'll discuss it as we go along.

Also like Toronto GAF, I'll be adding a Wall of Shame to the OP for the lulz from here on out (this applies to future meet up thread that I make) because why not?

I'm gonna make sure I leave my house by 5PM if not a little bit earlier than that to see if I can get a table. Regulars know what I look like and pics of me on GAF threads are out there. I'll post a pic of the outfit I'll be wearing tomorrow.

If in doubt when the bar is extremely crowded, holler "Believe." If you don't get a reaction, then you got the wrong folks or you missed the boat if you got there too late.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How much are the wings? The best wings I have had are the wings at Croxleys. .20 cent wings Sun-Thurs. Love them.

Jhoan

How much are the wings? The best wings I have had are the wings at Croxleys. .20 cent wings Sun-Thurs. Love them.

I honestly don't know since the last time I was there, it was on a date and I had a mixed drink. But here's a link to the site's menu. It also has a list of their massive beer selection in case anyone wants to start picking stuff beforehand and pics on what it looks like on the inside:

http://valhallabarnyc.com/the-menu.php

The prices are pretty solid in terms of pub food. It's on par with other places. There's big picnic sized tables to sit on since the bar is good for groups.

Jhoan

I'm actually in NYC tomorrow, doing the museum circuit with the nieces and nephews. Damn I wish I could go
I'll probably be downtown tomorrow checking to see if there's anything of interest to buy; namely clothes.

And you were in the Autographing area at NY Comic Con but I somehow missed you and your company among the Barrowman Photo Op line. Working kept me incredibly busy. =/

Definitely would love to have to have you come out to a meet up of these days.

Not even the most outrageous price in the city.

Agreed. $9 is nothing for wings. There's definitely more pricier wings in the city but again, maybe it's because I was drunk, but those wings were amazing. Surviving bar hopping on a $20 is doable but I laugh at it. $40 is a more ideal amount to survive.

That said, if nobody plans on getting anything to eat at the place, I would highly advise eating a meal beforehand either at home or at a cheaper place in Hell's Kitchen/Times Square e,g. Wendy's. Number one rule about consuming alcohol is never drink on an empty stomach unless you want to get a hangover the next day. I'm hoping that by the time this thing is all said and done, you guys can get home in one piece without getting mugged.

Any way, I went to the gym and got home thinking my bro's shaver was working only to realize it's broken so I'll be taking a shower and heading to the barbershop in a bit before I head downtown.

Also today's weather is

franco-so-good.gif

I wish it could stay like this all Winter long. Global warming be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom