• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a Mighty No. 9 witch-hunt going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
http://youtu.be/FXDSfUJBCj0 (20 minutes)

My own quick summary: seems like a feminist girlfriend (Dina) of someone over a 8-4 Play or Comcept (didn't say which) got a job as both a community manager and (apparently) a designer for Mighty No. 9. She has no prior experience with Mega Man games (seems to lie later on for credibility and says Mega Man X is the best Mega Man game), and her first post on the backers page was voicing support for a main character gender swap. Strike number one: nepotism. Strike number two: why are you here?

People snoop around her Twitter page, discovering her support for the phase-out of gender-specific pronouns, facepalming at Bayonetta, FemFrequency comments, etc. Strike number three: agenda.

After backers start asking questions, she closes her twitter account for an hour in order to separate her work and personal life (delete problematic tweets). Strike number four: you should know about the Streisand effect by now.

Anyway, backers are getting a little antsy, wondering why their money is going towards the salary of someone who seemingly doesn't have a passion for Mega Man/Mighty Number 9 and seems to want a very different approach to the game than what they were first pitched by Inafune. End summary (I probably missed some points).

Now, the video is just as needlessly militant as its portrayal of Dina, but anger at feminists aside, I can see where they're coming from. Nepotism sucks, and even if it exists everywhere, it's sickening to see it exposed. It's worse when the person involved doesn't seem qualified for the position. The game raised 3.8 million based on its pitch, and I'm sure backers wouldn't want that tampered with by someone after the fact. At the same time, it's a Kickstarter, and it's a massive production. You don't know who's working on this, and every employee always brings their own perspective. When the funding bell rings, you'll have seen a bit of concept art and have a general idea of the game's design, but from that point on, it's a blind buy. Attributing your fears to one person just because you have a little dirt isn't very reasonable. That's a very small scope.

I guess I'm just glad I removed my pledge when I thought they wouldn't reach their Vita goal. I'll stick to gauging my purchases on end products instead of whiteboard concepts.

epmode

I guess I'm just glad I removed my pledge when I thought they wouldn't reach their Vita goal. I'll stick to gauging my purchases on end products instead of whiteboard concepts.

Lots of awesome stuff wouldn't exist if everyone thought this way. Just saying.

(lots of Kickstarted games are releasing early betas this month)

daegan

"just because you have dirt"

What dirt? That this is a person with opinions that you may not agree with? This shit needs to stop. Let the person do their job and judge them on that.

Mesoian

Her personal life doesn't have to effect her job as a CM, so as long as she doesn't act a fool, I don't have a problem with this. You can be a feminist and still be good at your job.

And News Flash, not everyone that works in video games is 100% in love with their current project. To think they are is a childish notion.

Vylash

Who the hell cares? If she does a horrible job doing what she's supposed to do then sure, but just because she has different opinions? Grow up

Whompa

So...people are mad that a white girl got employed as a single artist/designer and community manager?

You realize how amazingly bias, sexist, and busted that is? She's so compelled that she reached out, donated money, and did fanart and then eventually got employed.

God...sometimes I just want to throw up at the internet.

daegan

gosh just think of how appalled this guy would be if he found out that the people who clean the offices at capcom don't give a shit about street fighter

the nerve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom