• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX To Increase Inclusivity Effort With “Roll For Diversity – Hub And Lounge”

ElNarez

Banned
http://indiestatik.com/2013/12/17/pax-diversity-lounge/
Posted by Jared Rosen × December 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm
A trustworthy internal source who wishes to remain anonymous has leaked documents to me, detailing proposed “diversity lounges,” which are being rolled out as part of the Penny Arcade Expo conventions in Melbourne, Boston and Seattle.

The “Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge” will be launched as part of a push to provide a resource hub for PAX attendees in relation to marginalized communities within the gaming audience, including women, people of color, the disabled, LGBTQ communities and those with mental illness. It will be a hub for communication, networking and, hopefully, an increased understanding of issues facing these communities every day and the promotion of a tolerant, safe space within PAX.

Mod edit:
Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade clarifies:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185642/some-thoughts-on-the-diversity-hub-and-lounge

Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to quickly address some of the questions I've been getting about the Diversity Hub and Lounge and the thinking behind it.

A few months ago when the idea was bouncing around, we reached out to a friend of ours, Benjamin Williams (co-founder of Queer Geek and GaymerX) to help with the concept and execution. Together, we've been working to create something that both celebrates and raises awareness of different, underrepresented gamer groups while also encouraging attendees to discover where all the different diversity-driven content at the show can be found. (Although we've always had this content at the show, we wanted to give people an easier means of finding it)

Based on feedback from previous shows, it's clear that having a diverse lineup of both content and exhibitors is something folks want, but the reality is that some of those places might not be able to afford a booth. So we carved out a large room at the show in a high traffic area that highlighted some of these great organizations and offered tables to them for free.

Some of the criticism I've been hearing is that this isolates these groups and tries to shine an uncomfortable spotlight on them. Although I can see how some might see it that way, the goal is to actually drive awareness and even celebrate the groups and their goals. We felt that by unifying the groups, it created a really strong, positive focal point that would attract people to it, similar to how the Indie Megabooth does on the show floor. That said, if it doesn't work out the way we'd like it to or if it doesn't have the right vibe, we're flexible enough to do things differently for future shows.

The fact is that this discussion is already ensuring that the area won't be ignored, which I think is great. I really do hope people understand that we are constantly trying to make the show better.

I also want to make clear that we have always strived to make the ENTIRETY of PAX a safe place via our policies, our content, and our dedication to our attendees. The Diversity Hub and Lounge isn't meant to say the rest of the show isn't diverse or safe - it's meant to highlight, educate and celebrate. Thanks all!

Makes sense. These issues have become a pretty large part of PAX (several talks this year at Prime were focused on the topic), so having a dedicated space for this sort of content is the next logical step.

July

Banned
Segregating the minorities putting even more of a focus in that they're "not normal" instead of treating them like "normal" people.

Just what everyone wanted?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. A separate section for those who feel excluded...

braves01

Banned
You are free to be yourself...in that room over there.

This seems like a pretty misguided attempt at being more welcoming.

wildfire

Banned
Segregating the minorities putting even more of a focus in that they're "not normal" instead of treating them like "normal" people.

Not everyone but some will like this approach even with its flaws.

Mudkips

Banned
I absolutely love watching these clowns faff about and self destruct.
When's the first PAX one of these lounges will appear at?
GUARANTEED Twitter scandal.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
rofl, this is one of the most idiotic things Ive ever seen

different people...different from what. Jesus

Awesome. Does that mean I get my own room?

Shame. You can tell Penny Arcade's heart is in the right place, but their mind is unsure how to execute on those feelings.

Can we just have games? I'll take games. I'd rather skip all the offended banter from the PC police every time "PAX" is uttered. Games would be nice.

Yasumi

Banned

Pretty much this. It's like they tried to be accommodating, overcompensated to an absurd degree, and kind of looped back to being the ignorant assholes they're trying to defend these people from.

It isn't segregration.

It's just a place where you can ask questions and interact about these matters. It's great, because there are some problems that a lot of us just don't really get and understanding these issues goes a long way for us in the long run.

Fuck's sake guys, have some reading comprehension sometime.

It isn't segregration.

It's just a place where you can ask questions and interact about these matters. It's great, because there are some problems that a lot of us just don't really get and understanding these issues goes a long way for us in the long run.

Yeah, some of these kneejerk reactions are really off putting. Maybe it is a little bit misguided but follow the link and read the actual proposal and let's see if you guys come back so convinced that this is some sort of scummy move.

page-0.jpg

page-1.jpg

Kusagari

It will be a hub for communication, networking and, hopefully, an increased understanding of issues facing these communities every day and the promotion of a tolerant, safe space within PAX.

That is not how I would have ended that sentence. Because it quite obviously implies something not so nice.

Well, that didn't take long for the usual Penny Arcade haters to flap their gums.

I think this could be an interesting way to put the spotlights on certain topics and issues linked to gaming, web communities and some of the dark corners of the web. Will see how this plays out.

SJS

If you want the gaming community to be more accepting, isn't the first step to focus on getting the overall gaming community accepted? We still live in a time where you can be considered a degenerate for pursuing a specific hobby. Gamers are a "marginalized community" taken as a whole and the bigger issue shouldn't be complicated from within.

It isn't segregration.

Fun, enraging titles beat out facts every time. Welcome to GAF.

Yeah, some of these kneejerk reactions are really off putting. Maybe it is a little bit misguided but follow the link and read the actual proposal and let's see if you guys come back so convinced that this is some sort of scummy move.

They are the Don Quixotes of White Knights.

That should be a term. Internet Don Quixotes.

Squire

Banned
I love the people saying PA "means well" with this.

What has PA done in the past year to make me think they mean well with an initiative like this?

Seriously, reactions like these, without reading correctly, with a mob-like mentality like this makes GAF look more and more like those hate-filled, dark recesses of the internet sometimes. It's really sad and depressing sometimes.

I'm aware, but this seems more like an hobbyist convention than something for professionals.

Reading the description it seems there will be panel discussions, mini job fairs, and developer meet and greets. Sounds professional to me. I'll be at Pax East this year (for the first time since 2010) so I'll probably check it out.

I love the people saying PA "means well" with this.

What has PA done in the past year to make me think they mean well with an initiative like this?

I'm not saying trust them or their motives outright but I am saying don't gloss over a headline or reduce shit to 'oh well they have a history and there's the word lounge, lemme conjure up some connotations to imply they simply want these people out of the way' when the actual proposal doesn't seem quite as fucked as some of y'all figured

Nairume

Banned
It is, because they are taking an issue that they and their entire community desperately need to engage and are handling it in one of the worst ways possible by sectioning it off to where the people who most need to listen to this discussion can just ignore it.

Top Bottom