• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes rated M by ESRB.

Batzi

Banned
“Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes” players can use various weapons to kill soldiers in the open-world action-adventure video game. The gun fights are described as “realistic” with a lot of blood and gore being spilt in both cut scenes and gameplay.

This is an action game in which players assume the role of an elite soldier through military missions in Cuba. Players infiltrate various bases and use pistols, machine guns, and rocket launchers to kill enemy soldiers. Firefights are highlighted by realistic gunfire, slow-motion effects, and large blood-splatter effects. Players can also employ stealth attacks (e.g., choking, knife stabbing from behind) and have the ability kill non-adversary characters/prisoners. One cutscene includes a depiction of blood and gore (e.g., a character's intestines exposed during a dramatic procedure to remove an object).

The game includes an audio file in which a female character is sexually assaulted by male characters; while there is no visual depiction, sounds of ripped clothing and struggle can be heard. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/met...zeroes-gore-sexual-violence-and-more-detailed

Danlord

If I remember correctly, they cannot ban games outright however they refuse certification if they wanted to ban it from the public as it legally has to have certification, so if it has been given certification then it will go on sale as normal? Or am I getting this completely wrong.... -_-

Sounds like every other recent war related game. If any country bans or tones it down it will be the usual suspects.
EDIT: for some reason I missed the last part. Still got an M rating so it won't be banned in the US at least.

Rape is a very touchy subject. I know the media didn't like it in the promos for Hotline Miami 2. I wonder what they will say about it here.

Green Yoshi

USK (Germany) gave it a "18 rating" on September 4th. So it will be fine.

What was the last "Adults Only" game in the USA?

kejigoto

Banned
I may be wrong, but doesnt germany have a bad habit of doing this aswell for some games. I think Australia might be the worst offender though.

Germany does but I seem to read more about Australia doing it and the issues it causes for developers.

Perhaps the worst offender would be China though who will ban anything at the drop of a hat if they think it is anti-China, overly gory, or anything like that. Read a ton of stuff about games having to rework a bunch of stuff in order to release there.

Alienous

Gosh, I'm sure Tara Strong had no idea how dark this was going to get.

From being a cute, ditzy student to a
double-agent, probably raped, with a package inside of her intestines.

Quite the acting range.

Interesting to note that this is the first non-AO rated game to feature "sexual violence" in the description

Rated M for: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Violence, Strong Language

he game includes an audio file in which a female character is sexually assaulted by male characters; while there is no visual depiction, sounds of ripped clothing and struggle can be heard. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

damn, Kojima going all out.

Batzi

Banned
M rating? Kojima has gone too far this time.

Well all the other MGS games except for PW were rated M. But I think GZ and TPP are going to be more than just M. From the description and from the realism that Kojima is trying to achieve in MGSV, it looks more of an adult-only game to me to be honest. I really hope we don't get a censored version of the game in NA.

LAA

What I'm confused about...
It talks about that "Intenstine scene" in Ground Zeroes...

Wasnt that in a Phantom Pain trailer? I find that misleading...

Hope this means Ground Zeroes will be a game of decent length. Don't want something like the "Tanker Incident" from MGS2 to be like Ground Zeroes, I'll be insulted at paying £30 for that.

Batzi

Banned
No child soldiers in this game?

The Phantom Pain yes. In fact, I think those african kids carrying weapons in the "Red Band" trailer are recruited by Big Boss himself. Diamond Dogs is going dirty, all for revenge!

ku-xlarge.jpg

Popnbake

Rape is a very touchy subject. I know the media didn't like it in the promos for Hotline Miami 2. I wonder what they will say about it here.

Guess it depends on graphic the audio scene will be.

Was there any media reaction to the implied rape scene with Trevor in GTA 5?

Gartooth

Well all the other MGS games except for PW were rated M. But I think GZ and TPP are going to be more than just M. From the description and from the realism that Kojima is trying to achieve in MGSV, it looks more of an adult-only game to me to be honest. I really hope we don't get a censored version of the game in NA.

I shouldn't have to explain that I was being sarcastic. I doubt it will be censored in US considering this is the primary market, the Japanese version is more likely to be censored.

Hope this means Ground Zeroes will be a game of decent length. Don't want something like the "Tanker Incident" from MGS2 to be like Ground Zeroes, I'll be insulted at paying £30 for that.
Yes a few scenes are from Ground Zeroes. Any where he's wearing his rubber sneaking suit.

The only real points of note are that the game is the first M rated title to have sexual violence in the official rating, likely because there are very few games that mention or hint at rape, and that the intestine scene seems to be in Ground Zeroes, not the Phantom Pain

Batzi

Banned

Nope, that was from Ground Zeroes obviously. Big Boss has his sneaking suit and both arms with no horn during that Paz scene.

winter

Great. Can't wait to see the treatment of rape/sexual assault in a videogame with a narrative equivalent to god awful anime garbage for teenage boys. I wonder if it's going to be as offensive as the female soldier character wearing a fucking bikini?

Batzi

Banned
Great. Can't wait to see the treatment of rape/sexual assault in a videogame with a narrative equivalent to god awful anime garbage for teenage boys. I wonder if it's going to be as offensive as the female soldier character wearing a fucking bikini?
You find Quiet's character design offensive? lol

The game includes an audio file in which a female character is sexually assaulted by male characters; while there is no visual depiction, sounds of ripped clothing and struggle can be heard. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

Just as with MGS4, then.

I remember that one coming out of nowhere.

And it was brilliant because of that. I've yet to see a more effective and powerful use of the word "fuck" in a video game.

Top Bottom