• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Request to the Industry: Controller Only Servers on PC FPS (with auto aim!)

kamspy

Battlefield 4 is a real bummer playing from the couch on PC with a controller. Everyone else is so much faster. Makes me really think about buying a PS4 just for online shooters (oh the irony).

I know, mouse and keyboard is a giant feature for a lot of PC FPS players and a good reason for superiority in that genre. But I'm old and lazy now. I don't even have my gaming PC at a desk anymore.

I don't think it would be a hard feature to implement. The controller auto aim works fine in single player. Sure it would be unfair in MP if it were mixed, but a controller only server would solve that.

Would there be enough demand to keep them running? I don't know. With more people PC gaming from the couch and Steam machines coming, maybe.

aeolist

Banned
this sounds like the worst idea, multiplayer communities have enough trouble with fragmentation as it is

There is a zero percent chance that developers would be able to come up with a way to lock out KB/M users from certain servers. And even if they come up with some bizarre solution it'll be picked apart and the community will come up with some workaround spoof within a couple days. It'll never work.

quaide

Banned
A little auto aim would help. Obviously controller users would still be at a disadvantage. Maybe there is something else that could be implemented to make it fair when gamers compete using different input methods.

Personally I think the keyboard is a terrible method for controlling in a FPS. Mouse is superior for aiming and what not though. PC users won't give up their M&K's. So gamepad users on PC's will be at a disadvantage. Splitting up the servers would be a decent idea. However, I am sure users of M&K's will find a way into those servers, so they could "dominate the n00bs".

I don't see any of that happening though. So, its PS4 for all multiplayer games and PC for the rest for me. Or double dip :)

Either way, I would take a controller on my couch with a big screen over been hunched over on a desk with a 24" monitor with a K&M.

kamspy

There is a zero percent chance that developers would be able to come up with a way to lock out KB/M users from certain servers. And even if they come up with some bizarre solution it'll be picked apart and the community will come up with some workaround spoof within a couple days. It'll never work.

That's fine. Let a couple hackers in, just give people who want to play reclined at least a better chance of being competitive.

I don't see why the solution would be bizarre. Many games don't even work on kbm when a controller is hooked up ( a shitty occurrence, but an example of how it wouldn't be rocket science to implement).

I'm not seeing the point. Either you can try to host your own servers and program them, or just buy the console versions. PC developers aren't going to make controller only servers.

kamspy

i wonder why this was never released?

I do use a small wireless keyboard and mouse, but it's not practical for involved MP sessions. Fine for Civ 5, or even an action game without controller support. My Logitech AnywhereMX plays fine on my couch cushion.

I'm not seeing the point. Either you can try to host your own servers and program them, or just buy the console versions. PC developers aren't going to make controller only servers.

You think it would take DICE that long to move their auto aim coding from single player into multiplayer and find a way to only let controller users in? Even if it's not some infallible, bulletproof, hacker proof solution. Just a casual solution, because I just want to casually play some FPS MP on my PC from my couch.

How much labor do you think it would take?

Qassim

Eh, it doesn't really matter in most games these days. No precision or real speed required for Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc.

quaide

Banned
I do use a small wireless keyboard and mouse, but it's not practical for involved MP sessions. Fine for Civ 5, or even an action game without controller support. My Logitech AnywhereMX plays fine on my couch cushion.

I can't read the tiny text in Civ 5 when sitting on my couch using my Logitech K400. Is there a way to make the text bigger?

kamspy

I can't read the tiny text in Civ 5 when sitting on my couch using my Logitech K400. Is there a way to make the text bigger?

Run it in 720p.

There are mods, but I didn't fool with them. They might work. I don't play Civ for the graphics.

I would welcome some games especially 3rd person shooters to have gamepad only servers.

Unfortunately I doubt it would work without some pretty amazing anti cheat software to keep out M&K users. Imo it wouldn't be just a couple of cheaters, and the odd match been screwed up. It would be a flood with every match ruined.

Gamers or PPL in general love to win and an unlevel playing field allows crappy gamers to feel like gaming gods. Hell you only have to look at how popular sniping and quickscoping is nowadays, it's basically a exploit that's on par with trainer/hackers. The attraction of using M&K on a gamepad server would be too big for many ppl.

I think pad MP gaming is best left to consoles where M&K is a rarity, more so on the Xbox given mouse is more popular on the PS3.

Shambles

I think matchmaking players would be a lot better idea than fragmenting the userbase based on hardware. What's next, servers only for people without surround sound?

Controller... FPS.... PC....
Disgust_707676_1567263.gif

But seriously that doesn't sound like a bad idea, I'm not sure I would play FPSes that way but other games I could totally see.

kamspy

Drop the XP from the controller only servers. Give the hackers one less reason to go. Don't even record the stats from the matches if that's what it takes.

I don't understand how some people think this would be some monumental undertaking.

"I want communities to get more fragmented because I won't play the game the way everyone else will".

Yeah sure what could go wrong there?

IMO my biggest issue with pc gaming is how fragmented shit has become, with competitive rulesets being completely different from casual pub play. TF2 has that issue biiig times.

That's fine. Let a couple hackers in, just give people who want to play reclined at least a better chance of being competitive.

I don't see why the solution would be bizarre. Many games don't even work on kbm when a controller is hooked up ( a shitty occurrence, but an example of how it wouldn't be rocket science to implement).

But it wouldn't be "a couple of hackers." The floodgates would open and people would pour in looking for easy kills. Its just an entirely unfeasible idea.

Someone will just connect a controller, probably go kb/m once they get in and start griefing people just because they can. Even if you don't record stats, someone will probably just treat that server as stress relief using kb/m.

I agree with this idea to a point, but why not start your own server and make it controller only?

My setup is an arm chair with a tabletop I built out of wood and designed to wrap around my torso and sit on the arms of the chair. I can kick my feet up on the separate foot rest and practically lay down while gaming. I give the description only as context because I have been back into PC gaming for about three weeks now and wouldn't use a controller in BF3 or 4 for nothing now.

Timeaisis

I have no idea how this is technically possible. First of all you can't just lock out keyboard input and get away with it. Second of all, who would willingly play it? Finally, let's say they found a way to solve those issues, there would be people who would be able to "fake" controller input quite easily.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Eh, it doesn't really matter in most games these days. No precision or real speed required for Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc.
If that was the case this thread wouldn't exist.

This could be done but it would have to be on a passworded server with some god tier admin support. I'd recommend playing with bots until you get good enough to swing it with low tier m/kb users. Then find a game with good matchmaking.

Portugeezer

I would have loved it.

I love the mouse, but I just suck with a keyboard, even after 3 years of PC gaming I never got used to it.

Qassim

If that was the case this thread wouldn't exist.

This could be done but it would have to be on a passworded server with some god tier admin support. I'd recommend playing with bots until you get good enough to swing it with low tier m/kb users. Then find a game with good matchmaking.

Placebo.

Coldsun

Banned
If you could get Sony and Microsoft to allow cross play with PC control users, sure.
Otherwise, I think you and everyone else who would want this are better off buying a console. Fragmenting PC gaming based on controller input makes very little sense for both the developers and those who run communities or simply want an active community.

Paertan

I have long wanted mouse and keyboard support on consoles with seperate servers. Which I think is less likely. But I would love to play Killzone with mouse.

Or pull the coffee table over and use the mouse and keyboard you already have for free.

I already swap back and forth between both, since I think the flying vehicles and slow turning mounted guns are better with the pad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
$399 + $59.99 + $49.99
Well, one option exists and the other option is probably never going to be a reality.

Hell, DICE never even bothered putting in controller prompts into Battlefield 3, so all controller prompts and options referred to their keyboard bindings instead of controller buttons. I'm going to assume they half-assed it in BF4 as well.

So, I had an idea a while ago that I haven't gotten a chance to test yet, for exactly this scenario. OP has one half of the parts with a wireless mouse, the other is a Move navigation controller.

I'm not exactly sure how connectable the Nav controller is with PC... I was planning to tackle that at my leisure, once I get one. It seems like a perfect replacement for a keyboard, though - Analog stick to replace WASD, and a variety of surrounding buttons for other left-hand actions.

Maybe worth a shot?

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I went from being a nerdy PC only gamer who frequented CS tournaments and often did quite well to just hating using the mouse after using the 360 controller. I know it isn't (anywhere near) as accurate but the rumble and trigger just feels natural.

I reckon this is a great idea.

DocSeuss

I'd rather just let 'em keep getting beat than fragment the community. But I'm the guy trying to work on a game that would be impossible to play with a controller, so what do I know?

Top Bottom