• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U outsold by Vita in UK in 2013, 3DS top selling console (Eurogamer)

Griss

Eurogamer said:
Looking just at 2012's figures, Wii U was out-performed even by PlayStation Vita, despite Sony's struggling handheld itself falling 41.5 per cent in sales compared to 2012.
EDIT: While they say 2012's figures here in this quote, I believe that they are removing 2012's sales figures from LTD's and talking about the end result of 2013 sales. Read the link and decide for yourself. And
Eurogamer said:
Xbox 360 beat both next-gen consoles, but that 3DS - when you lump together all models in its hardware family - was top.

The chart:
Eurogamer said:
2013 Hardware Chart UK
3DS (including 2DS, XL) - up 4 per cent
Xbox 360 - down 30.7 per cent
PS4
PS3 - down 31 per cent
Xbox One
Vita - down 41 per cent
Wii U - up 41.5 per cent
Wii - down 72 per cent

Link

Mock and lock if old.

Wii U was out-performed even by PlayStation Vita.

bwU4r.gif

Carl

Hm weird, didn't another website say last week that PS4 outdid 360 by a couple of thousand units?

Mael

Looking just at 2012's figures, Wii U was out-performed even by PlayStation Vita, despite Sony's struggling handheld itself falling 41.5 per cent in sales compared to 2012.

Wii U outsold by Vita in UK in 2013, 3DS top selling console (Eurogamer)

Make up your mind...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When will Nintendo pull the plug. Will they see this calendar year out and pull the plug during 2015 or will they pull it early.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
At least this shows that Nintendo is not completely dead in the UK, giving a slight hope also for slightly better numbers in the home console space.

Does the Wii U even exist in the UK?

Can't believe how terrible it is performing over there. Guess everyone jumped to the Nintendo 3DS/2DS instead of the Wii U for their Nintendo fix.

Santiako

Look at the chart. Sorry that the quote I've posted is confusing, but they're removing 2012 figures to get the numbers for 2013 - that's my interpretation.

The chart itself needs no interpretation - Vita outsold Wii U in 2013.

You are correct, I should have read the full thing.

Weilthain

Banned
nintendo really has lost a lot of shelf space in the UK.

At my local shopping center, Sainsbury's have ps3/4 and xbox's, and a very small 3ds section with absolutly no good games.

In GAME its the same. Playstation and Xbox everywhere. Nintendo section is only just bigger than the pre owned bluray section.

I got my mario game, which is sadly (and truthfully) the only reason i bought a Wii u

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
1)MCV was wrong, then. That was revenue, not units sold, ah.

2)SmokyDave is coming!

3)

ibgAi5uwEF63eR.jpg

Code:
	Percent	Units (000s)
3DS	23.13	584
NDS	2.8	71
WII	7.09	179
WIU	3.17	80
PSP	2.61	66
PSV	10.07	254
PS3	22.39	565
360	28.54	720

For UK. Units estimate extrapolated from 80K for Wii U.

This should be useful, if those extrapolated numbers are right.

Griss

This would mean so much more with numbers attached.

Yeah it would, but I still think it's important.

I remember getting off work on Wii U launch day and racing to HMV (RIP HMV) to maybe pick one up. There was no one there. No lines, no buyers, no nothing. Just a stack of consoles. That's when I knew that the poor thing would be completely DoA over here. So I waited a year for bomba prices.

It sucks though. Really want to see Nintendo turn it around in the home console business. Here in Europe that's not happening until their next console, if ever.

SmokyDave

Vita sales dropped 41% and yet it still outsold the Wii U?

That's... bonkers.

I also can't believe the OG 3DS sales dropped 69%. I knew the XL was the one to get and expected the 2DS to do well, but I didn't expect the OG machine to die that quickly.

The ignore function is fucking awesome :)
The ignore function is for the spineless and the insecure.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wii U was out-performed even by PlayStation Vita

Means nothing to me as the Vita has been out longer than the Wii U. Either way both system are still selling badly.

When will Nintendo pull the plug. Will they see this calendar year out and pull the plug during 2015 or will they pull it early.

Pulling the plug early won't help them at all, they will see it to the end of it life cycle.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on those 2012 numbers I quote earlier

3DS - 2012: 584,000 / 2013 (+4%) - 607,360
360 - 2012: 720,000 / 2013 (-30.7%) - 498,960
PS4 - 530,000

Ok, sorry people. They were wrong :lol

Carl

Revenue, not unit sold.

No, it clearly said units sold, according to JVM

However, although PS4 was a big revenue driver, it wasn’t the best-selling games device of 2013. That title belongs to the 3DS, which enjoyed strong sales thanks to a number of big releases and the launch of the 2DS.

so they were saying it beat the 360

Xater

Ouch, outsold by the Vita. That is quite the achievement. Nintendo has a rough couple of years ahead of themselves.

gtj1092

Means nothing to me as the Vita has been out longer than the Wii U. Either way both system are still selling badly.

Pulling the plug early won't help them at all, they will see it to the end of it life cycle.

These numbers only count 2013 and ps4 manage to outsell several systems and it's been out the shortest amount of time if that's your defense for wiiU sales.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Pulling the plug early won't help them at all
I don't see how keeping a failing system on the market is helpful to them. It just ensure that they are frozen out for longer when it comes to building relationships with third parties. They are also losing market share and potentially allowing another generation of gamers to get used to playing on other platform holders machines.

they will see it to the end of it life cycle.

Yeah. I do see that happening. But I don't believe it's the best thing to do for them in the long term.

Peff

Mainstream retail releases were dire on Vita last year in Europe. It's pretty much just Persona, Killzone and if you stretch it, Tearaway and Soul Sacrifice vs Pikmin, an exclusive Lego game, WWHD and Mario. There's no reason why it should have happened.

SmokyDave

Mainstream retail releases were dire on Vita last year in Europe. It's pretty much just Persona, Killzone and if you stretch it, Tearaway and Soul Sacrifice vs Pikmin, an exclusive Lego game, WWHD and Mario. There's no reason why it should have happened.
The Vita lives on the breadth of its whole library, not just a few mainstream retail titles. Retail is for last-gen poors, digital is where the cool kids are playing.

(That 41% drop though. Damn).

krizzx

Ouch, outsold by the Vita. That is quite the achievement. Nintendo has a rough couple of years ahead of themselves.

Don't handhelds usually outsell console? I was sure that was that case in the past.

Also, when did the U.K.suddenly become the sole most critical and important place in the world where sales matter? I was sure the U.K. has always favored Sony hardware historically.

I'm confused.

Griss

The Wii U is a much bigger product than the Vita, physically. If it's selling that poorly, and being outsold by the Vita, it's far more likely than the Vita to be pulled from stores. With the PS3; PS4; 360 and XB1 all demanding space on store shelves I am really genuinely worried that a big supermarket or tech retailer will announce that they're pulling it from shelves and that the rest follow like dominoes. Nintendo need to be working like demons in the background to ensure that doesn't happen.

It doesn't matter if you decide not to pull the plug if the plug is pulled for you.

Don't handhelds usually outsell console? I was sure that was that case in the past.

Also, when did the U.K. become the only place in the where sales matter?

I'm confused.

The WiiU is pretty much a non-factor in the UK but sales aren't faring much better in mainland Europe and the other continents either. I think it's a very fair assessment to suggest that rough times are ahead for the WiiU.

Top Bottom