• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #135 - "Cryptic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Cryptic"
Mysterious. Encoded. From the crypt?

Word Limit: None
But see secondary and rules.

Submission Deadline: Friday, January 24th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, January 25th, and goes until Monday, January 27th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Mandatory Secondary Objective: Hook the reader early
Catch the reader's interest by the end of the first page (300-500 words). This may mean jumping right into action, opening with catchy dialogue, or getting your most interesting ideas going from the beginning rather than starting up later.

Alongside this, I'm changing the voting rules slightly for this challenge. You are not required to read every entry in full. You are instead required, for each entry, to read only the first page. If the story has hooked you at that point, awesome, keep on going. If not, stop reading and move on to the next story. If you're planning to give feedback for each story, please include what worked or didn't in hooking you.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- Please read the first page of all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Cyan

Banned
Please note that this is intended to be a one-time thing for fun and I do not expect these rules to carry forward. :)

Recent threads here have inspired me to finally get serious about writing. Im hoping these will give me good practice. Excited! There are some great writers here.

ronito

No word count? I smell disaster.

Anyhoo, I made a resolution to start doing these again. This might be the one I start with

Ashes

Banned
If I wrote a story less than a page long; nobody can actually fulfil the obligation of having to read AT LEAST A PAGE thereby making their votes uneligible therefore making them unable to win so I will win by default.

Better not tell anyone.

Cyan

Banned
If I wrote a story less than a page long; nobody can actually fulfil the obligation of having to read AT LEAST A PAGE thereby making their votes uneligible therefore making them unable to win so I will win by default.

Better not tell anyone.

ANARCHY

Mike M

Nick N
I'm sorry.
You should be.

I'm just kinda free-wheeling now, got something that's probably 4-5k words in length, but wondering if I even should finish it or just leave it incomplete if the goal is just to get people interested enough to keep reading in the first place...

Cyan

Banned
You should be.

I'm just kinda free-wheeling now, got something that's probably 4-5k words in length, but wondering if I even should finish it or just leave it incomplete if the goal is just to get people interested enough to keep reading in the first place...

Unless you're planning to fail to hook the reader's attention, I'd suggest finishing it. :p

I should probably get an entry written for this challenge. I totally blanked on the last one and failed my resolution to participate in every one nice and early.

I need, like, the writing version of a suicide pact. Someone to beat me with a blunt instrument if I don't write.

Tangent

Congrats Cyan!!

Sweet. I like the idea of hooking the reader early. But you have COMPLETELY gone mad with the anarchy word count. I feel like stories longer than 3 pages take up an entire weekend as it is!

Also, I liked all the talk in the last thread about Cyan being Ourobolus' father. Nice reference to his story. So does that make me some imaginary parent to Ourobulus? Although, now that I'm not a joonya member, it's like I'm real!

WtMjVN8.jpg

Aaron

I've toyed with the idea of submitting a pdf with a really long page count, but with everything after the first page blank EXCEPT a final sentence on the not quite last page. But I won't because that's silly.

I've toyed with the idea of submitting a pdf with a really long page count, but with everything after the first page blank EXCEPT a final sentence on the not quite last page. But I won't because that's silly.

Blank pages? That'll be obvious if you just happend to scroll down ever so slightly. Better to lorem ipsum it. LaTeX has a command for that (of course).

GRW810

I don't know if I have the intelligence to write something cryptic.

That (lack of) weird count is terrifying! Very, very brave and risky move.

Nezumi

I don't know if I have the intelligence to write something cryptic.

That (lack of) weird count is terrifying! Very, very brave and risky move.

Come on! Stop teasing us every challenge and just write something. I loved your stuff.

Wait, no word count limit? Awesome, I like this idea a whole lot and the secondary will make for a good challenge. Now I've only got myself to blame if my entry turns out rushed or doesn't turn up at all.

Aaron

I keep writing the first page and scrapping it as not compelling enough. Action keeps starting on page two at the soonest... not soon enough!

Ourobolus

Banned
I think I know what I'm doing. Hoping the first page manages to catch the reader quickly enough. I just need to actually sit down and pound it out.

Nezumi

I have an idea and am pretty confident that I found a way to jump right info the action. Now all I need is an ending.

GRW810

Come on! Stop teasing us every challenge and just write something. I loved your stuff.
Thanks! Sorry, I comment as a way to feel involved and urge myself to find an idea, write something and submit but I inevitably run out of time, enthusiasm or creativity. I had 750 words last time but I couldn't get back to the laptop to finish it off.

Mike M

Nick N
~3K words in, only a few scenes left to go. Guessing 4.5K or so.

Not sure what I think about it so far... I'm writing something from a mythos I have fairly well developed in my head, but the story is pretty thin. It's mostly just two characters playing off one another.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hm. 803 words down. I expect this to be rather short - probably about 2k words or so.

EDIT: maybe not. :p Fuck, I have no idea how I'm going to end this.

GRW810

Ah fuck, I'm working on a <1000 word story. It's not going to stand a chance against stories reaching 4000!

EDIT: I've developed three ideas but none of them lap off the page and command attention like the prompt requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom