• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Dev Days] Some more news about the steam controller (possible redesign)

BeDX8mcCAAAncBW.jpg

BeDa6qsCAAAqqnq.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/omglazerkittens/status/423537496559857664

They will be bringing button diamonds for backwards compatibility with other controllers. No mid touch screen. #SteamDevDays

So no more touchscreens? Too expensive? No real need? EDIT: More on that below.

for more context regarding the touchscreen bit

No games use all the keys of the keyboard at any one time, so that means they can be condensed... #SteamDevDays

Ghosting the keys/controls mapped to the controller buttons helped keep the focus on the game. #SteamDevDays

Touchscreen was removed as ghost mode made it redundant

https://twitter.com/TomasRawlings

still not sure what ghosting means

https://twitter.com/charliehelman/status/423542624708857861

“Will they be releasing more expensive versions of the controllers?” Eventually they will, but initially just the cheap ones. #SteamDevDays

They are handing out the "cheap" ones (no touch screen, the ones the beta testers got) at the event to everyone there though, along with the free steam machine every dev is getting.

https://twitter.com/omglazerkittens/status/423538776690802688/photo/1

Steam controller has an API for devs to integrate it into their games. #SteamDevDays pic.twitter.com/sqRzWf36T9

Since not everyone is following the Dev Days thread and might still be interested in this.

Also the api currently supports up to 16 controllers at once.

http://thesonicreblog.com/ said:
They’re showing battlefield 4 working with the touch screen. The touch screen is a game changer. It intimately connects with steam and games.

The demos people tried at ces was legacy mode, basically the controller emulating a 360 pad. Native mode is wildly different, and it’s where the controller shines. Crowd sourced configurations, too.

The days of not being able to remap stuff in certain games are dead. The controller has a real time firmware, not software.

Welp, New steam controller has no touchscreen anymore. This controller looks amazing, wow. It solves the problem of cardinal input with each pad having ridges to orient yourself. The two pads aren’t symmetrical anymore, the right has less ridges than the right.

The steam controller now has two diamond button layouts where analog sticks would reside. So normal abxy buttons and what looks like a dpad. Uses aa batteries.

Also two more bits of info:

- Controller uses "low-latency Bluetooth". Doesn't sound like there will be a wired version, so looks like I'll have to order a Bluetooth adapter for my desktop.
- Controller uses AA batteries (user can of course swap them out for rechargeable batteries).

They're also supposedly experimenting more with Analog thumbsticks... If they do that, why wouldn't I just keep using my Xbox controller? Very interesting things are afoot with the controller for sure.

Going over the controller api now, built into steam api.

Api has flag to tell if finger is resting on touch pad without moving. Looks a lot like sdl joyinput. Init takes config file, config file is human readable file for mapping. Haptic feedback is a function where we set duration as an analog for strength. Expect to poll controller multiple times per frame, extremely fast non blocking calls.

Over ride mode lets you set constant button configurations, or for modifying legacy mode in game to make on screen menus. Hence you can mix and match modes on the fly – native support in game, legacy mode in menus, etc.

Driver is generic hid, so cross platform support. “It just works.”

All controllers, even the protos, have gyroscopes in them for motion controls, they’re just disabled right now.

Steam api supports 16 steam controllers at once.

Because it uses hid, android and ios support likely.

One last update. From Robert at Zeboyd Games (Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World, Penny Arcade 3 and 4):

This looks like the prototypes they handed out today at dev days.

To clarify some things.

They said that they're considering adding some face buttons for use in traditional controller-based games with high response demands (like 2D platformers & fighting games). In the prototype image they showed, there would be 2 sets of 4 buttons at the bottom of the controller where the analog sticks would be on a traditional controller (so you could use them with either hand).

They did mention that they are open to 3rd party produced controllers. However, all steam controllers will have the touchpads & not analog sticks.

The ghost thing they talked about was displaying buttons on screen for scrolling through lists of keys.

They said they got rid of the touch screen because it was rarely used in their playtesting since it divides your visual attention (i.e. see the Wii U gamepad). They felt that the most expensive part of the controller shouldn't also be the least used.

Oh and as far as developers go, there are 2 modes of Steam controller support. Legacy support works with all games and just maps keyboard/mouse stuff to the controller directly. However, developers can also choose to directly support the controller with more nuance (like being able to control the controller feedback).

http://thesonicreblog.com/

This guy is live blogging between sessions. On the topic of redesign:
Welp, New steam controller has no touchscreen anymore. This controller looks amazing, wow. It solves the problem of cardinal input with each pad having ridges to orient yourself. The two pads aren’t symmetrical anymore, the right has less ridges than the right.
(Obviously a right/left typo, but no way to tell which he meant, lol)

http://thesonicreblog.com/

This guy is live blogging between sessions. On the topic of redesign:

(Obviously a right/left typo, but no what to tell which he meant, lol)
They’re showing battlefield 4 working with the touch screen. The touch screen is a game changer. It intimately connects with steam and games.

The demos people tried at ces was legacy mode, basically the controller emulating a 360 pad. Native mode is wildly different, and it’s where the controller shines. Crowd sourced configurations, too.

The days of not being able to remap stuff in certain games are dead. The controller has a real time firmware, not software.

The steam controller now has two diamond button layouts where analog sticks would reside. So normal abxy buttons and what looks like a dpad. Uses aa batteries.
Oh wow.

If there's no touchscreen, then what's this about?

edit: yeah probably a typo

Exuro

I want to see the new controller. D:

If there's no touchscreen, then what's this about?
It's a demo with the old controller. The new one doesn't have one as of now. That quote seems really overhyping though. Haven't a hard time thinking how a touchscreen implementation could make someone that excited. :p

Ah touchpad would make much more sense.

- Controller uses "low-latency Bluetooth". Doesn't sound like there will be a wired version, so looks like I'll have to order a Bluetooth adapter for my desktop.
- Controller uses AA batteries (user can of course swap them out for rechargeable batteries).

They're also supposedly experimenting more with Analog thumbsticks... If they do that, why wouldn't I just keep using my Xbox controller? Very interesting things are afoot with the controller for sure.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think he means "touch pad is a game changer"

This. I guess they went to a touchpad a la PS4 rather than a touchscreen. And button diamonds seem like possibly removable from the touch areas? Or permanently on then touchpad areas, so you have a firm place to click, but also can move the finger around for full control?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm kind of dissapointed if they've redesigned the controller for legacy controller software. I wanted something radical and they gave it to us originally.

The loss of the touchscreen doesn't bother me, really. It would add a lot to the cost of the pad anyway.

Still getting one as soon as it is available.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If it ends up with a traditional left analog stick & dpad, and right-hand touchpad & diamond button array, I'll probably make it my new PC controller. (Depending on price)

Durante

Ugh, come on. I really like the DS3/4 method of built-in battery and charging as well as optionally connected use through USB.

I'm kind of dissapointed if they've redesigned the controller for legacy controller software. I wanted something radical and they gave it to us originally.

I don't think that's the case. It seems more like they want the best experience possible using the simplest methods, and the higher compatibility is an added bonus. The touchscreen is the only thing they've taken from the device (And nothing of value was lost), but I really want to see the new touch pad layout, as well as the diamond config.

Owner of the blog posted this on Reddit about the touchscreen/touchpad confusion.

They were taking about the old demo and showed the touch screen functionality, then switched to taking about changes. So the touch screen functionality they just demoedwasshady removed haha

Sober

I would love to see a way to use it wired though. And I don't really want to see the analog sticks, I though the whole point of the touchpad-with-click pads was so it could play kb/m, unless they are deciding to split the controller project into kb/m analogue and "Steam's version of a gamepad".

Zafir

"demoedwasshady" learn a new word every day
Bet the guy is using the slide typing feature on a touch screen. I use it on my S4, and most of the time it's good, but 5% of the time it comes out with stupid rubbish like that.

On the subject of the controller though, I kind of want to see photos of it. I'm glad they've added more buttons in, however, I'm curious where they've put them, considering there wasn't any space for them in the original design.

Edit: Would also hate not being able to use it wired. I don't own a bluetooth dongle(Not counting my phone) for starters, and I don't like having to recharge batteries all the time.

I would love to see a way to use it wired though. And I don't really want to see the analog sticks, I though the whole point of the touchpad-with-click pads was so it could play kb/m, unless they are deciding to split the controller project into kb/m analogue and "Steam's version of a gamepad".

I agree.

I want it to act like the Xbox One controller does. Uses wireless with AA's. When you plug it in via USB it becomes a wired controller (theoretically reduces the latency as well). They won't be able to get it to do charging though since they can never know the types of batteries that are inside.

Plus, if they did this, I could still avoid buying a Bluetooth dongle for my desktop.

Mrbob

The steam controller now has two diamond button layouts where analog sticks would reside. So normal abxy buttons and what looks like a dpad.

I'm dumb, someone explain this to me asI don't understand the change in configuration.

The loss of the touchscreen doesn't bother me, really. It would add a lot to the cost of the pad anyway.

Still getting one as soon as it is available.

It is just the mode the controller was programmed to run in.

Miker

These changes sound massive. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Valve is quick to iterate based on feedback. Can't wait to see photos of the new controller!

Interfectum

Why do people care about a touch screen so much? You aren't going to be looking at your controller while playing (especially with the rift) and buttons feel much better than just hitting a screen. Other than looking cool and getting sweet game logos on your controller, who cares?

Yeah, at last year's CES Gabe did say they only going to put in a touchscreen if it's functionally and finacially viable. Never took it for granted and would have bumped up the cost of the unit anyway. The touchpad and haptics are the soul of this.

Top Bottom