• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports you only enjoy fictional versions of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports anime is fairly common, with a series for most major ones

slam1_01.jpg

Tennis_wallpapers_103.jpg

eyeshield-21-7.png

Obviously in the case of animation they have the opportunity to embelish any activity, but are there any cases where you enjoy watching a sport in fiction, but can't get into the real thing?

For me I'd say wrestling, and not even dedicated wrestling fiction like Ultimate Muscle. I love wrestling moves when they're isolated and part of a separate work of fiction.

id3Wk4uPkMgYY.gif
1375131174696.gif

iu86D0WUSLzur.gif
tumblr_mq60u6EDmo1rj8nzio1_400.gif

Dropkicks, suplexes, lariats, elbow drops, all great. But even with all the overlap between professional wrestling and shonen anime and fighting games, I can't get into it. I don't want to say it's the homoerroticism, as I am a big fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but I can't enjoy anything that's entirely dedicated to wrestling even though I like the moves themselves independently when non-wrestler action/fighting characters use them.

styl3s

I enjoy football movies but can't stand watching the actual sport.

Baseball i enjoy both the sport and the movies.

Sera O

Banned
I loved watching Ookiku Furikabutte, but I have always disliked watching baseball.

But yes, a lot of sports anime are like this for me because I'm not that interested in sports, but find the hyper-dramatic presentation of them to be entertaining (tennis ball meteors destroying the dinosaurs etc).

Except for Hikaru no Go - it's like a sports shounen in structure but about the board game, and I do like go a lot. It's very amusing how they do the flying colours with players holding go stones to try and up the drama.

terrisus

I've enjoyed movies, manga and anime about boxing 10x more than I've ever enjoyed 90% of the boxing matches I've watched.

Most wrestling is already pretty fictional, so yes, that's amazing.

I can only enjoy motorsports when eurobeat companies it or if I'm playing a very arcadey simulation of it. The real thing never clicked with me.

I play Eurobeat during every single racing game I've played.

Top Gear music is the way to go.

UberTag

Baseball mostly. Have seen plenty of enthralling baseball games represented in fiction.
And, of course, the glory that is Ippo.

Zhengi

Soccer - Captain Tsubasa and Inazuma Eleven
Tennis - Prince of Tennis
Real Football - Eyeshield 21

Edit:

Boxing - Hajime no Ippo

akira28

I only like watching those old school dramatized football films. I can't remember the name of them, but we would watch them during sport clinics and they were amazing. Instead of TV it was like film camera and added music and in slow motion, it makes football look truly fucking epic.

ganon

I like watching soccer in real life (only during big Euro/World Cup though). But sports anime/manga are just more fun to watch.

Best soccer manga (not the anime): Aoki Densetsu Shoot!
Best baseball manga: Major
etc etc

DrSlek

In the opposite theme to this thread I watched Crackerjack, and then went to play some lawn bowls. Turns out real lawn bowls is much more fun than any fictional version of the sport. Especially when alcohol is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom