• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good fighting/action Anime (other than Bleach/naruto types)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So I know there is a huge contingent of anime fans on GAF and as such I need some help here. I am looking for a good fighting anime to watch Saturday for a bit of a get together. Basically once a month me and 9 other friends get together and we watch a different kind of anime series. This month is fighting anime. These are the ones I've seen and I know others probably have seen:

Air Master

Kenshin

Ikki Tousen

Marai Nikki

Canaan

Yozakura Quartet

Claymore

So basically something in that realm of anime but ISNT Bleach/ Naruto/ One Piece/Fairy Tail. Any suggestions? Martial arts, weapons, super powers are welcome, just not the usual Shonen stuff. Any suggestions?

Jacob

Samurai Champloo has sword fights in most episodes, but it isn't really a fighting show specifically. It's definitely not shonen either, though.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're saying nothing like Bleach/Naruto/DBZ or just not those series specifically. If it's the latter, then I have to mention Hajime no Ippo as a great shonen fighting series that doesn't overstay its welcome with endless filler arcs or anything.

DiscoJer

Queen's Blade? It's based on a series of fighting game books

Okay, it's got a lot of gratuitous nudity, but the whole premise is that a bunch of women are fighting in a tournament to become the ruler of the country, and there is actually a lot of fighting.

It's on Crunchy Roll anyway...

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012. If you're referring to the first Yozakura Quartet series go do yourself a favor and watch the superior TV series from last year along with the Hoshi no Umi OVA.

Hokuto no Ken.... One of the best, hands down.

Also better known this side of the Pacific as Fist of the North Star.

Also known for:

fb0.jpg

Can I skip the first YQ? Is it a prequel to the newer one?
The new TV series is a remake of the older one with better animation, direction, writing, and really everything else. So yes, you can skip that one. Also make sure to watch the Hoshi no Umi OVA after episode 8(?) since an arc was skipped that the OVA covered.

malyce

The new TV series is a remake of the older one with better animation, direction, writing, and really everything else. So yes, you can skip that one. Also make sure to watch the Hoshi no Umi OVA after episode 8(?) since an arc was skipped that the OVA covered.

Thanks.

Linkhero1

I've watched a bit of Naruto and Bleach. Okay, I watched quite a bit and I hate both of them to death. They get boring after some time and the story drags on for so long. That being said, watch Hunter X Hunter (2011). It stays away from a lot of the things that Naruto and Bleach do. I wasn't a believer until recently. I remember how a lot of anime-gaf tried to convince me to watch it at one point. I'm glad I eventually caved after months.

wonzo

Banned
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Ben-To
Sword of the Stranger
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Read or Die: OVA

And if you're talking about the original YQ then series:

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Eps 1-8
Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi OVAs
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta Eps 9-13

In that order.

Dresden

Sword of the Stranger
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

And yeah, the original Ippo is pretty amazing. The sequels are fun, but not up to the quality of the first series.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is very, very good.

Katanagatari, maybe. It's a fighting anime, but be aware it has lengthy scenes of just talking.

Buso Renkin is another one by the same person who wrote Kenshin. Not nearly as good, but I enjoyed it.

Berserk, Trigun, and Black Lagoon are great and have lots of fighting, but it is something of a stretch to call them "fighting anime."

Panzon

Another vote for Hajime no Ippo. Its very authentic and super hilarious.

I saw some random youtube video highlight of a young girl that knows MMA and it looks fantastic. Wish I knew what this anime was

I give a strong recommendation to Code:Breaker. It features great action animation along with a plot that starts off silly and humorous and gradually transitions into an exciting thriller. It's a very fun, well-structured show.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
people keep bringing this up. goddamit. its like every thread. the character art looks so weird though. how can this be a good show when the characters look so rough?

Hunter x Hunter is probably one of the best, most "pure" shonen manga/anime ever produced. Its like they distilled the genre down to "fighting" and "friendship" and then built it back up and its sooooo good

Really, you could show the Dark Tournament portion of YuYu Hakusho. My personal favorite arc of anime of all time, due to all the great and amazing fights.

Yu Yu Hakusho(best tournament arc in all of anime)
Hunter x Hunter(the hype is real, the show is that damn good)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

G Gundam(manliest Gundam you'll ever watch, its pretty shounen but damnit its good)
S-cry-ed(don't know how well this holds up but I remember liking it)
Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood

Fate Zero(a true must see show, one of my favorite animes period)
Darker than Black

Episode 21 of Attack on Titan

people keep bringing this up. goddamit. its like every thread. the character art looks so weird though. how can this be a good show when the characters look so rough?

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the character design but trust me and everyone else you've seen mentioning it this series is legit.

Mesoian

What is an artstyle?

You should watch tekkon kinkreet or Cat Soup.

Anyway, battle manga? Bubblegum Crisis and Hyper Police. Sexy girls and some good ole fashion hyper violence.

As others have said, Hajime no Ippo, G Gundam, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the Northstar. But I'd like to add The Guyver, a wildly violent show about a teenager who happens upon a tentacled bio armor that turns him into a killing machine. He then faces off against monsters and various other experiments. The newer TV series is alright, as it covers more of the original story but if you can track down the 12 episode OVA, I'd go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom