• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo outsource a squad based TPS to Epic starring the Kongs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afoni

Banned
This may sound weird, but hear me out. Everyone is saying that Nintendo is struggling to stay relevant, right? Why not give a Western studio the job of creating a character driven, squad based TPS starring the Kongs? These kinds of games are 'in' right now and Donkey Kong is the best suited franchise Nintendo has fit this genre. Epic know what they're doing when it comes to character driven experiences and cover based shooting, so they're the best studio Nintendo can approach for this. The TV series established that the group social dynamic amongst the Kongs is a driving force within the IP, so it's only natural that the games finally explore these character relationships in a squad-based environment that encourages comrade interaction. It's also a chance for Nintendo to finally stray away from all that kiddy crap and have a game featuring a well known IP that mature gamers can enjoy. The shooting mechanics were established back in DK64, so the idea of guns in the DK universe wouldn't be breaking its elaborate canon.

It's a perfect way to fill that hole in the Wii U's library and Epic aren't doing anything right now. A game being made by a technical powerhouse like Epic would get everyone talking about the Wii U, so what's the harm?

MarkusRJR

You had me interested until the last three words in the thread title... I'm trying to imagine DK characters in GoW art style and now I think I need to lie down, fall asleep, and never wake up. What a horrifying thought.

I felt that making donkey kong tps is missing the point entirely... I'm pretty sure the dudebro crowd who love gears dont care about donkey kong characters.

It'd be wiser to simply ask epic to make a whole new ip for the shooter crowd I think.

Eusis

Heard you out, still wondering if maybe you're drunk but not to the point of being completely incoherent.

It sounds like you're going for a MATURE angle and that's no good, you'd sooner get somewhere suggesting this with Metroid, and even then that's just "Hey, get a new Prime game out!" especially as the squad based thing wouldn't be ideal for this. Probably better just to get a new IP entirely.

... Although now I'm imagining them trying this with a Kid Icarus Wii U. That might actually work out though it has to be developed by the core members of Sora.

afoni

Banned
I felt that making donkey kong tps is missing the point entirely... I'm pretty sure the dudebro crowd who love gears dont care about donkey kong characters.

It'd be wiser to simply ask epic to make a whole new ip for the shooter crowd I think.

On the contrary, VGX in December showed otherwise.

Aeneas

Pretty sure this thread is sarcasm, but anyway,

No. It would not appeal to the "gritty mature" demographic if it is based on Donkey Kong. Plus I'd rather have Nintendo's take on something like that rather than outsourcing it.

And yes, it was a weird idea.

lmao oh my gooooood

I'm sure it wasn't your intention but I'm just dying at the mental image. As I'm sure anyone would before setting the game box back on the shelf

my short response to this proposition is jesus christ fuck no, Nintendo needs to make moves toward relevancy in the console market but that is just not the way

Foshy

this

There's no need to shoehorn existing IPs into everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom