• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Feudal Japan is a possible setting for future Assassin's Creed games

As something of a tease, Guesdon added, “Feudal Japan remains – like numerous other time periods and locations – a possible future setting for the franchise because thanks to the Animus. The entire human history is our playground.” To fully realise its free-roaming Caribbean environment, Ubisoft had to not only research the period for accuracy, but hone its own tech. The grand scale of Assassin’s Creed 3′s landscape proved to be a solid starting point, but in Black Flag the team was going bigger and bolder.
Via VG247

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not particular bothered about the setting provided sprawling cities make a return.

DaBuddaDa

Yes, Feudal Japan could be an AC location, just like literally any time and location imaginable in the past because of the Animus concept. He's just stating the obvious here.

Amir0x

Banned
they're just saying EVERYWHERE is a possibility according to the quote. Which is, like, duh. Japan would be neat, but once again the cities of historical Japan would seem to me to be pretty boring from a navigational standpoint. They need to go back to selection periods and times based on how well they would support superior free running gameplay.

But I really want them to go bold for their next-gen outing. I want a game set in EDEN, which has no proper historical context, so that they can go truly wild with the technology and the possible parkour possibilities (PPP).

Elios83

My favourite locations for the future of the series would be:

1)Ancient Egypt
2)Feudal Japan
3)French Revolution

So yeah, I'm definetly pleased with this ''rumor'' :D

dugdug

Banned
Translation: "In case you couldn't tell by now that we're just winging it as we go, the next game could take place on Mars, inside Kenway's butthole, or in 1940's Antartica. WHO KNOWS!?"

This. 3 and Blag Flag had barely Climbing in them and i want those towers of the Ezio Trilogy back.

From what I have played of Black Flag (about 15% through), I have thought there has been plenty of climbing... I can't speak for AC3 though since I skipped it.

Kouriozan

Still didn't buy an AC game since the best one (2 + brotherhood) but if the next game is indeed in Feudal Japan...
Day one!

ironcreed

Banned
Playing as a ninja from an order of ninja assassins is something that is begging to be made. With all of the games they are releasing, they just about have to do this at some point.

Aesius

Feudal Japan would be cool, but Victorian London is the most obvious setting that they keep skipping over.

London. 1850. Please.

Xater

they're just saying EVERYWHERE is a possibility according to the quote. Which is, like, duh. Japan would be neat, but once again the cities of historical Japan would seem to me to be pretty boring from a navigational standpoint. They need to go back to selection periods and times based on how well they would support superior free running gameplay.

But I really want them to go bold for their next-gen outing. I want a game set in EDEN, which has no proper historical context, so that they can go truly wild with the technology and the possible parkour possibilities (PPP).

Feudal Japan can#t be worse than colonial America.

Carbonox

Going to Feudal Japan - something I would LOVE - will allow the series to return to a proper assassin-based story. In doing so, I would like for UbiSoft to split the pirate aspect of the series in to something else as that shit can't be deaded.

Of course, unless they squeeze in naval stuff in to Feudal Japan. A quick Google suggests naval warfare was a thing back then too so they could give it a pirate angle for the sake of gameplay reasons.

Edit: I see above that piracy was prevalent during this period. There we go then.

Hasney

Great. Just keep the pirate games as their own series or something to keep me interested too please.

Or any setting that keeps the sailing & pillaging focus would suffice.

MSMrRound

Eh, with the yearly Assassin's Creed titles that they are pumping out, I'm sure they will eventually get to my country Singapore as a location for the game.

Screw the weebs, I would much rather they go to China.

And I love Japanese history, but China is just perfect for an Assassins Creed game

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Not into AssCreed really but this might make me at least a little interested. Now if it were Ancient Rome (Republic or Empire, don't mind which) or even Byzantine I would be even more interested. Go Persian and you'll be tugging at my DNA strings Ubi.

Amir0x

Banned
Feudal Japan can#t be worse than colonial America.

Yeah it'd probably be somewhat better, since the rooftops in Feudal japan were usually much closer together. But they were frequently quite uniform in terms of height, and there were not very many great climbing opportunities, as buildings usually did not get extremely high unless they were built into cliffs or mountains.

Eden remains my choice for the next optimal setting though

ironcreed

Banned
Great. Just keep the pirate games as their own series or something to keep me interested too please.

Or any setting that keeps the sailing & pillaging focus would suffice.

Yes, I want them to split the pirate formula off into it's own series. As it's so damn good that it deserves it.

Hasney

Eh, with the yearly Assassin's Creed titles that they are pumping out, I'm sure they will eventually get to my country Singapore as a location for the game.

Hell, the way Ubi pump them out, there will probably be Assassins Creed: Burnley by the end of this generation.

Yeah, I'm really excited about the possible possibilities, potentially even more so than the impossible possibilities.

Top Bottom