• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FallRise of David O. Russell (Film Critic Hulk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with the article. I posted in the review thread that I hated the movie, and I usually just have a feeling of indifference to movies that I didn't enjoy. The last movie I hated was Juno. Sad, because Three Kings is one of my favourite movies.

THE REASON FOR THIS LONG EXPLANATION IS THIS: THERE IS ALMOST NO REAL CHARACTER SEQUENCING OR MEANING OR IMPORT OR THEMATIC COHESION OR DIRECT PURPOSE TO MOST OF THE SCENES IN AMERICAN HUSTLE.

THAT MAY SEEM LIKE A MEAN EMBELLISHMENT, BUT TRY RETROACTIVELY MAKING A BEAT SHEET FOR THAT MOVIE. MOST OF THE TIME YOU WILL NOTICE THAT IT IS A) REHASHING THE SAME BITS OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, OR B) INDULGING IN AN UNPRODUCTIVE TANGENT, OR C) LAYING A FEW BITS OF EXPOSITION THAT WON'T ACTUALLY HAVE RELEVANCY, OR D) GOING BACK ON AN EARLIER POINT, OR E) LINKING SCENES CONSTANTLY WITH "AND THENS" OR F) MAKING A CONTRADICTORY POINT THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AWARE IT'S A CONTRADICTION. HONESTLY IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE A FIRST DRAFT. SURE, THERE ARE TALKING POINTS CONCERNING WHAT THE FILM WANTS TO BE "ABOUT" (LOYALTY, WANT, HUSTLING, TRUST, ETC), BUT REALLY IT'S NOT BACKING THOSE THINGS UP WITH STORY OR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. THERE'S NO COORDINATED APPROACH. WHICH MEANS IT'S NOT ACTUALLY SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT THOSE THINGS, IT'S ONLY "ABOUT" THOSE THINGS (SAVE FOR ONE COHERENT AND TROUBLING IDEA HULK WILL GET INTO LATER). THE EFFECT OF ALL THIS IS THAT EVERY SCENE OF AMERICAN HUSTLE COMES ACROSS LIKE IT DOESN'T CARE WHAT IT'S SAYING. EVEN IF THE FILM IS "FULLY WRITTEN," IT JUST ENDS UP FEELING LIKE THE ACTORS WERE IMPROVISING (AND NOT IN THE GOOD WAY). IT FEELS LIKE THE CHARACTERS ARE ALL UNHINGED AND REACTING TO EACH OTHER IN WAYS THAT DON'T FIT, AS IF EACH ONE IS IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOVIE. THEIR BEHAVIOR ISN'T EVEN MATCHING LINE-READINGS. IT'S WEIRD. THERE'S NOTHING TO GRAB ONTO. EVERYTHING IS JUST "OFF."

Blader

Eh, American Hustle was disappointing, but I really loved Silver Linings and enjoyed The Fighter too.

Three Kings is really fucking obnoxious and I've failed on two occasions to finish the movie.

Wait roll this back a bit. I have to know the answer to this. There are people out there that actually think American Hustle is a better movie than Wolf of Wall-street?

Wait roll this back a bit. I have to know the answer to this. There are people out there that actually think American Hustle is a better movie than Wolf of Wall-street?

They're both thematically hollow films, but Wolf is funnier and concludes the narrative arc better. Hustle ended and I found myself with at least 3 'but wait what about' questions bouncing around in my head. I don't want either film to pull down that many oscars tbh.

BearPawB

Banned
Three Kings is Great
I loved silver linings.
American Hustle was solid.

I don't know why so many critics turned on it. It shows a videogamey parallel. Uncharted 3 was great, then come out all the think peices telling you why it wasn't as good as you thought. I enjoyed it, isn't that what matters?

That being said, Gravity was my favorite thing I saw at theaters this year

I was pretty disappointed in American Hustle. I liked it well enough, but I think that was due more to the performances by the actors than it was the movie itself. I haven't seen a lot of stuff by David O. Russel, (The Fighter and Silver Linings) but what I saw, I liked, so I was kind of let down by AH.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much nails what's wrong with American Hustle.

O. Russell's recent career turn is bizarre. It's pretty sad if you look at it as a response to the Nailed fallout.

inm8num2

I completely agree with the article. I posted in the review thread that I hated the movie, and I usually just have a feeling of indifference to movies that I didn't enjoy. The last movie I hated was Juno. Sad, because Three Kings is one of my favourite movies.

Yea that section also reflected how I felt about the movie.

Enjoyable enough, but hollow and disjointed. Thought the same of SLP and The Fighter.

Another paragraph that can summarize O. Russell's film trend.

... IS IT REALLY THAT EXTREME? HULK'S NOT SURE. BUT WHAT HAS TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS TRANSFORMATION IS THAT HE AT LEAST WENT FROM A GUY WHO MADE FOUR OF THE MOST DIRECT, THEMATICALLY COHERENT FILMS OF THE MODERN AGE, ALL CENTERING ON MEANING-OVER-GRATIFICATION, TO MAKING THREE OF THE MOST SURPRISINGLY HOLLOW OSCAR-BAIT EXERCISES IN TONE MANIPULATION THAT HULK'S EVER SEEN, WITH THE LAST TWO ABSOLUTELY ADVOCATING GRATIFICATION-OVER-MEANING. THE RESULT? HE'S NOW A MADE MAN IN HOLLYWOOD CIRCLES WITH A PENCHANT FOR LANDING AWARDS FOR SOME OF OUR BEST ACTORS - BUT DOES DAVID O. RUSSELL UNDERSTAND THIS? HOW DOES HE EVEN FEEL ABOUT THIS CHARACTERIZATION? IS THIS EVEN LEGITIMATE?

Jay from Red Letter Media basically said the same things in his short review of AH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5I2Cb9ZJw

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
As usual, an impressive article. I walked out (stopped my DVD) of Silver Linings Playbook during the last half-hour because I felt betrayed. There was a real honesty to everything that came before it that felt completely trivialized by the sport/dance/betting story. It's probably the most offended I've been while watching a movie in a while. That sounds a tad dramatic: keep in mind I only felt that way because of how invested I was in the characters given to me in the opening hour.

I walked out of American Hustle feeling completely satisfied. In hindsight, it's hard to argue with everything FCH's pointed-out here. Maybe it really was just an exercise in giving me what I thought I wanted without really saying anything. I feel a little gross.

Completely agree. O Russell's last three films have been brilliant writing in average to pretty good films. Three Kings and Huckabees are by far the best he's done.

SRG01

For those saying that American Hustle is a solid film, would you agree that the film has a meandering narrative? If so, then how does it contribute positively to the film?

BBboy20

Yea that section also reflected how I felt about the movie.

Enjoyable enough, but hollow and disjointed. Thought the same of SLP and The Fighter.

Another paragraph that can summarize O. Russell's film trend.

Jay from Red Letter Media basically said the same things in his short review of AH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5I2Cb9ZJw
Was this film based on real events and people? Weird hearing about improvisations and unbounded structures on something based on a true story.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was this film based on real events and people? Weird hearing about improvisations and unbounded structures on something based on a true story.
The film opens with "some of this actually happened".

Lijik

I liked the movie despite its flaws, more than most of gaf judging by the thread about it, but I was shocked to see it nominated for so many academy awards especially some that seem totally undeserved.

the real events that the film derives from are used really broadly. Yes, abscam was real and yes the CIA got a conartist to head it up, yes it started as an operation for stolen items and turned into trying to out political corruption, and yes politicians took the fall from it. A lot of the narrative beats of the film that fill in those aspects are heavily fictionalized though.

I walked out (stopped my DVD) of Silver Linings Playbook during the last half-hour because I felt betrayed. There was a real honesty to everything that came before it that felt completely trivialized by the sport/dance/betting story. It's probably the most offended I've been while watching a movie in a while.

uhhh what

Acorn

I liked the fighter and loved silver linings. Guess I'm part of the problem.

Three Kings is still my favourite though.

daviyoung

Banned
My 15 year old self loved Three Kings when he watched it in the cinema.

Haven't seen any of this guy's other movies though.

Spaghetti

he makes vehicles for actors to get oscar noms

i am okay with this mainly to let christian bale do some weird fun stuff

RJT

Wolf of Wall Street is clearly better than American Hustle, but that's not a bad film in anyway. Just didn't live up to the potencial.

Also the Hulk essays are clearly written by someone who doesn't know when to strike redundant sentences. It's pretty much just paragraphs of the same thing over and over again.

ivysaur12

Banned
Can't read all caps. Sorry.

There's a non-capped version in the OP.

It's an incredibly interesting article and got to the heart of my problems with AH. Sure, it was charming, but it never felt weighty or provocative, even while exhibiting ambitions of a deeper meaning.

valeo

Completely agree. Whenever I watch a DoR film, I feel like it 'should' be a good film but there is always something intangible missing that I can't really place.

xbhaskarx

either way, the one thing that should be clear is that the guy who made i heart huckabees in no way feels like the guy who would make american hustle.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing, because I Heart Huckabees was one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen...

He writes in capitals and refers to himself in the third person. He can fuck off.

He does that to disguise his writing style as he claims to be a script writer. He's very fucking impressed with himself though and has a high and mighty opinion on everything. Can't stand him.

There's a non-capped version in the OP.

It's an incredibly interesting article and got to the heart of my problems with AH. Sure, it was charming, but it never felt weighty or provocative, even while exhibiting ambitions of a deeper meaning.
Personally, I never detected any ambitions of a deeper meaning. I saw it as a pretty brisk madcap comedy, and to that end, it exceled phenomenally.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I never detected any ambitions of a deeper meaning. I saw it as a pretty brisk madcap comedy, and to that end, it exceled phenomenally.
The voice over kicks in here and there to explain what it's about. 'Everybody cons everybody', etc.

The voice over kicks in here and there to explain what it's about. 'Everybody cons everybody', etc.
And? It's a crime comedy. There are a few poignant moments here and there, but it's still a pretty broad comedy.

I don't think the Goodfellas comparisons certain critics made were ever appropriate.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
And? It's a crime comedy. There are a few poignant moments here and there, but it's still a pretty broad comedy.

I don't think the Goodfellas comparisons certain critics made were ever appropriate.
The movie invites the comparisons with that opening sequence.

American Hustle was dull. It's never engaging, the comedy isn't good enough to make you laugh consistently and the drama isn't good enough to make up for it. In the end, it's like, what's the point, why watch this?

entertainment

Which would fall under comedy or drama. Or anything for that matter. There's just nothing entertaining about the movie, save for maybe watching Christian Bale apply his comb over in the very beginning.

Edit: Messofanego, empty is the perfect word to describe my experience with David O. Russell's movies.

xbhaskarx

This part was interesting...

consider this crucial aspect of silver linings playbook's cathartic dishonesty as proof that he's 100% aware of it: earlier in the film bradley cooper freaks out while reading hemingway's "a farewell to arms" and goes up screaming to his parents saying that they should have ended the book earlier. he says that there should have been a happy ending where we see the two leads together, before all that bad life stuff happens in the very end. what seems like a nice sentiment actually has a real point in that scene: this character is a man who keeps constructing false, movie-like answers to his problems and he can only solve them by embracing the sobering reality of his disease and the bad things he does. the film repeats this point time and time again. really, it's a film about the immense need for honesty. the characters lie and lie and yet they only make strides when honest. and so, when it comes time for the movie itself to end and make this point clear, russell reinforces all that by... letting it devolve into the happy times third dance sequence (complete with forced third act stakes), and the two characters get their happy ending with absolutely no hint of sobriety underneath. fade to black... huh. what feels like such "a betrayal" to the point of the movie is turned into something more obvious (and devious) by that earlier scene. it's david o. russell throwing up his arms and clearly saying "okay, this is what you want out of entertainment? fine. forget your needs. here's what you want even though it's bad for you. here."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom