• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 Racing Stars U: 60 fps at your fingertips

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
F1 Racing Stars U (or Powered Up Edition, as the publisher named it) is a recent addition to the eShop. Game has had a false start on the WiiU - a 2012 Codemasters' multiplat title released on WiiU in 2013 in Japan only (needless to say without much fanfare), universally shunned on the other platforms because reasons, released world-wide on the eShop only last week (Jan 2014). This thread is not about any of that, though. It's about why F1 RS U is a game that may just as well deserve your attention.

First things first - what F1 RS is not:

• Game is definitely not a mascot kart racer - you won't find in it a single mascot, capable of bringing back fuzzy childhood memories. It's a racer for racing fans. Perhaps even not all fans but mainly F1 fans, but more on that later.
  • Game has no online muti on the WiiU (the only version missing that component). Sucks, but c'est la vie. If online multi is the single reason you'd be interested in this title you can stop reading here.
Ok, those out of the way, let's see what F1 RS actually is.

It's a unique arcade kart racer, which may be too ambitious for its own good. It has the most realistic handling model in any arcade kart title I've played, bar none. That fact may not be clearly conveyed in the traditional-for-the-genre 'wacky wheels' career mode, but a couple of laps in time trial leave no doubt about the handling model.

• Evidence 1: drifting is your enemy. If you're drifting (yes, there is such a thing in the game), that's because you're losing control of the vehicle - you can let off the gas (or not - your choice), but chances are you're kissing your best-lap time bye-bye.
  • Evidence 2: what your dad always told you is true - you brake before entering the corner, once and only once just to get to the proper cornering speed. If you brake in the corner because you didn't brake earlier, or you didn't brake enough, you're either destined for the grass, or you're killing your momentum and wrecking your lap time. Either way, you need practice with that corner (or corning in a car, per se).
  • Evidence 3: you can't bully corners - negotiate them. Try to remember all you know about apexes (did I mention about proper braking before corners?), optimal exit curves, etc - all this counts in this game!
So the game has handling - what else?

It also has:

• Three difficulty levels, masqueraded as CC classes - '1k cc' (easy), '2k cc' (normal) and '3k cc' (hard), freely selectable before each event.
  • A handful of game modes/rulesets - time trial, normal racing, elimination (super fun!), and a few others I'm yet to try out due to being too occupied with the first three modes.
  • Fifteen beautiful, huge and quite clever tracks (kudos to the track designers!) - some more suited for proper-racing, others for trick-racing. All tracks feature shoutouts to actual world locations, both humorous and nostalgic (for racing fans, anyway).
  • An F1 pilot roster (albeit, not this years', but on the plus side Webber's still in!) of very nice caricatures of the actual F1 pilots.
  • Off-TV play (dynamically swichable via the in-game menu).
  • Local mutiplayer with support for TV / gamepad split screen (I'm planning to try that mode this weekend with the kids).
  • Leaderboards for Time Trial - it's already quite competitive out there (I'm looking at you, pole guy in the Belgian 2K cc!)
  • Gamepad sticks-n-buttons and gamepad gyro (single-player) and WiiU Pro, Classic and wiimote input methods (multi-player).

So much from me for now. If you have specific questions about the game - shoot.

What is the price? Install size? Any reviews?
Price is 25 EUR (dunno about the US shop, most likely $25). Install size is 3.4GB. Reviews - haven't bothered with those, but you can surely use your google fu.

First part of a video sequence showing career mode

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It's a bad game on any platform, even with online multiplayer. (6/10 average for reviews on PS3/360)

But without online multiplayer?

Yeah, not for me, not even for cheap.

blu

I have it on PC and have considered double-dipping and getting the Wii U version. I like what I've played on PC.
No, sir, you most definitely shouldn't. It's a factual 6/10 game, you see.

Foshy

Got it when it released on PS3.

I'd only recommend it to real F1 fans. The fanservice is pretty cool (even though I have no idea why there are some fake drivers in), the track design is fun and the driving model is nice and unique, but the whole package is kind of a let down. Too few tracks and single player is shit. Can be fun in multi though with other fans.

SmokyDave

...universally shunned on the other platforms because reasons...

...Reviews - haven't bothered with those, but you can surely use your google fu.
Blimey. What an interesting OP.

I got it for free on PS+. It's blander than magnolia. Sonic Racing Transformed is notably better.

I wonder why online play was cut from the Wii U version?

blu

I got it for free on PS+. It's blander than magnolia. Sonic Racing Transformed is notably better.
Yeah, it's a racing game that actually has a resemblance of driving in it. I realize that might be offensive to some people.

Because it was a launch window title and WiiU network infrastructure was still in havoc at that time? Though other parties still managed to do with that somehow *shrug*

The_Lump

Banned

Its great if you're an F1 fan looking for a bit of mindless fun.

SRT is a better kart racer, so is any MK, Diddy Kong Racing and CTR but I don't think they are directly comparible. Those are out and out kart racers; F1 Race Stars always seemed like it was trying to sit between kart racer and more real, tactical racer (albeit with bonkers tracks and power ups) It's kinda unique in that.

I'm sure you can work out why there is no online on the WiiU version. Reasons are clear in the OP (staggered release, no publicity, eShop only, small user base = zero reason to waste servers on online multi player) No need to discuss that further, will only derail thread.

IMO (only played on ps3 last year sometime) It's a neat little game and one I wished just had a teensy bit more whimsy and a teensy bit less sterility to it. I will probably pick it up on eShop as it was the sort of game I wouldn't mind dipping in and out of and playing with my other half.

Got this on the PC sometime ago on Steam.

It's a serviceable F1 themed kart racer.

About the kindest thing I can say about it is that it has Codemasters traditionally competant optimization for the PC. Effortlessly runs at 1080p60 on my 4.5 year old Core 2 Duo laptop with most options enabled/set to high except for AA. It's not a surprise to see the 60 FPS gameplay kept intact for the WiiU.

It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed though. That statement goes for either incarnation of the game (on the Wii U or the PC). And if you want the real deal with F1 racing, you'd be better off with any of the other Codemasters F1 racing games released for the 360/PS3/PC like F1 2011/2012/2013 et. al.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Got it when it released on PS3.

I'd only recommend it to real F1 fans. The fanservice is pretty cool (even though I have no idea why there are some fake drivers in), the track design is fun and the driving model is nice and unique, but the whole package is kind of a let down. Too few tracks and single player is shit. Can be fun in multi though with other fans.

That's the only reason I did get it (F1 fan)

I really shouldn't have bothered.

Thanks for the info OP.

So it is a true racing game with a fun kart paint. Might consider in the future, too much to play at this moment.

Would have probably picked this up if it had online. As it is, I'll just get the Steam version at some point maybe (which I totally forgot about until the Wii U version showed up).

The_Lump

Banned
Would have probably picked this up if it had online. As it is, I'll just get the Steam version at some point maybe (which I totally forgot about until the Wii U version showed up).

Well at least no one can say WiiU isn't serving a purpose, lol.

It is a shame there's no online, but it's understandable.

Log4Girlz

brb-using-imagination-since-no-pics.gif

I actually enjoyed it, found it pretty decent and probably the better of the kart games out at the time for the PS3 (Modnation Racers/LBP Karting), but yeah Sonic has surpased it now

JamboGT

Worst Kart Racer I have played for a long time, all down to how it controls. Boring compared to all other kart racers, buy Sonic Transformed instead.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Videos of the Wii U version? Hey Blu, put something in the OP to help visualize why you think it's a good racer

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What a delightfully aggressive OP. Minus 10 points for no mention of "industry cancers" though.

EmiPrime

Another late Wii U port with stuff missing.

I got it on PS+ ages ago and I still haven't played it. It's desperately bland and uninteresting.

olimpia84

I recently purchased this for cheap on the PS3 and I think it's one of the most bland kart racers out there. The fact that the game doesn't have drifting is criminal.

wormania

Also picked it up for free on PS+. Am a huge F1 fan, and also a huge cart racer fan.
Game is bland, uninteresting, and meh.
Pick up either Sonic racer if you want a cart game, pick up GT6/F2012/13 if you want a casual racer with actual handling mechanics, and pick up F1 Race Stars if you're desperately trying to get an easily pleased kid in to F1
Oh, and this is based on a version with online multiplayer. Without? Goes from a "no" to a "lol, no."

I played this on PS+, and it really is a wacky wheels mascot racer, just the mascots are the personality vacuum that is the F1 driver's line up. The race start up where they all do the call me/wink and the gun/cheesy grin in sequence up the grid made me want to cringe myself inside out.

blu

I played this on PS+, and it really is a wacky wheels mascot racer, just the mascots are the personality vacuum that is the F1 driver's line up. The race start up where they all do the call me/wink and the gun/cheesy grin in sequence up the grid made me want to cringe myself inside out.
Skipped at a button press.

Updated OP with the first part of a video sequence showing career mode.

RM8

I didn't find the demo terrible on PC, but no online? Yeah... might wait for a Steam sale if I really want the full game.

Raitaro

I'll just chime in by agreeing with the OP and by saying that both me and my girlfriend have been enjoying F1 Race Stars Powered Up Edition very much so far. To us, it easily holds its own when compared to the latest Mario Kart games or Sonic kart racers. Yes, you are reading that correctly. (I'll add one disclaimer for clarity regarding our enthusiasm: we haven't played it for more than a week or so, so please keep that in mind.)

What we enjoy the most is that it actually focuses a little more on real racing techniques instead of just going fast and using weapons. Since there is no powersliding, corners need to be taklen with some caution and strategical braking - which is a good thing in our opinion. The KERS corner boost system on the other hand does allow for more arcade like speed in some parts of each track though, as do the boost pads, slipstream mechanics, jumps, loops and other F-Zero like track elements.

As the OP mentioned, this game particularly excels when it comes to tracks and track design (where it overshadows most Mario Karts imo). DLC included, it features 15 (not 9 OP!) fantastic looking tracks presented in a cool, unique art style that are a real treat to race on. Each takes you to a cartoony version of a real life location that highlights or makes fun of all elements that make that place stand out to people (similarly to how Street Fighter 2 or Outrun 2 does this "real world with a wink" aspect effectively).

Many of these tracks are two or even three times the length of an average Mario Kart track though, so the lower number of tracks isn't that big of a problem. What is especially impressive is that these longer tracks are so varied thematically and structurally that they really make you feel like you are on an adventure through a "It's a Small World"-esque world. Expect the longer tracks to take you to different places and settings in the span of a lap in other words, with distant objects or locations in the environment actually ending up as part of the track later on! (This reminded me of the best parts of Beetle Adventure Racing and Diddy Kong Racing as well - two games where racing and adventure also went hand in hand.) What is also cool is that there are very few bottomless pits - many places where you can fall of a ledge will not end in a black screen or Lakitu-like intervention, but in you ending up in a different part of the track allowing for a continuous racing experience.

Finally, the tracks also feature many, many alternative parts. This includes the multiple pit lanes needed to repair your vehicle (which has three levels of damage that affect performance slightly: undamaged, slightly damaged and highly damaged), which is another interesting addtion to the formula. Each track even includes a secret item that can be found and taken with you (if it's not stolen) in order to unlock a gate somewhere to open up an even more special shortcut. I really like this exploration aspect and generally miss it in most Mario Kart tracks.

We can't understand why this game got such average reviews in the media or why it was so overlooked to be honest (except because of prejudice or the game not really being advertised). Pretty much all of its weaker points apply to other Kart racers as well and the game also has plenty of unique strengths that certainly make it a worthy addition to the genre. The only things that could have clearly been improved are the menus (especially their flow and how they don't tell you on which level of the menu you are) and possibly some what could have been quite easily implemented additional options within these menus (see post below), but these don't ruin the game in any way. It also seems that the critics forgot that Codemasters had to build up this game from scratch having never done a Kart racer before, so with that in mind they certainly did a very admirable job when creating such a fully fleshed out game.

So to finish up: we urge anybody with an interest in kart racing games to at least try out this game. Just download the demo on PS3 or 360 if possible to get an impression, or buy the quite cheap Wii U version digitally. As said, the game's worth it just for the track design alone, but we are also thoroughly enjoying the racing itself, the fairly intelligent AI (which will use shortcuts as well) and the many modes available (including some that allow you to turn off items - eat that Mario Kart!). The only thing that seems a bit weak compared to other mascot racers are the somewhat generic items (though both Sonic All-Stars games suffer from this as well I feel) and the F1 mascots themselves, which are a bit samey and unmemorable. The fantastic tracks fully make up for that though when it comes to giving this game character and style, and we also do like the way in which the cartoony F1 cars themselves are animated.

(I'll now brace myself for the people saying that it sucks for some reason or another...and that will advice others to wait for a know quantity such as Mario Kart instead of trying something a bit more fresh and different...)

Raitaro

Sorry to double post, but I do have some questions / unclearness about the game that I'm hoping someone here (blu?) will be able to answer / clear up:

(A) Does anyone know whether there is a way to create your own custom cup when playing against AI (in multiplayer or solo) that allows me to create my own list of tracks to race on?

What I want to do is create a Mario Kart: Double Dash-style all cup tour in which you play against AI on all 15 tracks while building up points in the ranking. I'm hoping one of the yet to be unlocked championship cups includes such an all cup tour, but it seems odd to hide this option away behind a process of unlocking additional cups.

I would have thought that the otherwise quite customisable "play" mode would allow me to add tracks to a list, but so far I haven't found a way how. The odd thing is that there is a list on the left side of the screen in the "lobby" menu that includes an option to "choose tracks", but it only allows me to select one single track instead of adding more to the list. This menu oversight (if true) would only leave me with the option to choose any of the previously unlocked, predetermined champsionship cups if I want to race on more than one track (which, as I said, might not include an all track cup in the end).

(B) I also haven't found a way to disable the AI racers so I can race against my co-op rival(s) exclusively. Surely this should be possible to achieve somewhere, no?

(C) Finally, in the career mode, is it truly the case that the game does not keep track of which cc level you have completed a cup on - meaning that if I complete all cups on 1000cc and get 90 gold cups, I will have little incentive to try and complete them again on 2000cc and 3000cc to get additional gold cups? A strange oversight, if true.

(D) Finally, the developers mentioned that they would take the opportunity to fully integrate the four DLC tracks into the career mode for the Wii U version. Can anybody verify that this is the case, for instance by telling me how the championship cups in the PS3/360/PC versions were organised? Were there less of them, or did they change some of them to include the additional tracks? (And to retrn to my fist question: is there a 15 track cup somewhere?)

If the abovementioned options are truly impossible / unavailable, they would represent some very unneccesary menu-related blemishes on this otherwise fine looking and playing game. They won't ruin the game for me, but they would make it feel a little more limited.

(on a side note: it's also a shame - and quite telling in a way about the game's overlooked nature - that there seem to be no FAQ's available anywhere on the internet that would contain the information I'm looking for.)

The game's on Miiverse, it's not too hard to get some screenshots from there.

5Qit2Nb.jpg

5Xadjo8.jpg

SSANR8z.jpg

DZZX3OF.jpg

dIa2Tvt.jpg

One of you guys who own the game and love it, maybe do the thing where you go to imgur in the browser and upload some nice impressive 720p shots?

XTERC

I have this game on PC. Unfortunately it is probably the worst Kart Racer I have ever played. It feels like you are playing a tech demo. The physics are almost non-existent. If you are considering this game and do not have Sonic Racing Transformed you are insane.

NHale

I have this game on PC. Unfortunately it is probably the worst Kart Racer I have ever played. It feels like you are playing a tech demo. The physics are almost non-existent. If you are considering this game and do not have Sonic Racing Transformed you are insane.

I'm a huge F1 fan and I still didn't liked the game. It has charm and track design is great but that appeal lasted for 2 hours, after that I was bored to tears.

I even enjoyed ModNation Racers a lot more than this, which is quite an achievement for F1 Race Stars....

Raitaro

Game is really pretty, lots of charm in the visuals, but for me, the racing is just so incredibly dull.

Why is that, the dullness I mean. Do you have any idea? Is it related to:

?

And as to this point about a lack of physics: I have heard this being brought up multiple times in revews as well. Could you clarify what you mean exactly? Do you refer to the weigth of the cars during jumps, the way they collide with walls or other cars, the way they handle on different surfaces, or something else entirely? I have to agree that the racing in this game does feel a bit more simple (for lack of a better term) compared to other Kart racers, but I couldn't put my finger on why. Could it be a simpler/ non-existent physics model perhaps? (And to be clear: this might in the long run indeed diminish this game's replayability for us, but so far it hasn't yet.)

As to Sonic Racing Transformed: both me and my girlfriend tried this game after buying it some monhs ago for Wii U, but we somehow couldn't fully get into it. Either the tracks are too busy, the racing too chaotic, the framerate too choppy at times(?), or there is a too strong focus on powersliding or something else perhaps, but somehow we weren't sure why others were declaring this game to be the best Kart racer ever in some cases. We'll give the game another try to be sure though.

Raitaro

I'm a huge F1 fan and I still didn't liked the game. It has charm and track design is great but that appeal lasted for 2 hours, after that I was bored to tears.

I fully admit that it is the track design that has the biggest draw on me too, but I still wouldn't completely dismiss the racing itself that easily. Not yet after a few days of play at least. To each his/her own of course.

Out of curiosity: what other Kart racing game would you consider being able to keep your interest after the initial impression? Any favorites we should try as well?

NHale

I fully admit that it is the track design that has the biggest draw on me too, but I still wouldn't completely dismiss the racing itself that easily. Not yet after a few days of play at least. To each his/her own of course.

Out of curiosity: what other Kart racing game would you consider being able to keep your interest after the initial impression? Any favorites we should try as well?

Recently I have to say Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed. In the past clearly Mario Kart.

we weren't sure why others were declaring this game to be the best Kart racer ever in some cases. We'll give the game another try to be sure though..

About Sonic Racing Transformed...
It's got no BS unblockable items (you can block the homing attacks with a regular backwards shot), the World Tour mode is extense AND diverse, with an "unlock with stars" system that rewards playing on higher difficulties (some characters/mods can only be unlocked by being geniunely good at the game), the powersliding physics feel precise (it's not Ridge Racer on-rails drifting)...

On the other hand, F1 Race Stars:

Mario Kart BS you-can't-dodge-this-shit items, tracks repeat themselves quite a bit (unless the DLC tracks were added into the career mode), only things to unlock are cosmetic profile-avatar stuff and the physics, while a nice alternative to the usual kart racer, only make you wish you were playing either something more fast or more realistic.

blu

Sorry to double post, but I do have some questions / unclearness about the game that I'm hoping someone here (blu?) will be able to answer / clear up:

(A) Does anyone know whether there is a way to create your own custom cup when playing against AI (in multiplayer or solo) that allows me to create my own list of tracks to race on?
I've only done custom single event races. Championships are predefined, AFAIK.

(B) I also haven't found a way to disable the AI racers so I can race against my co-op rival(s) exclusively. Surely this should be possible to achieve somewhere, no?
Neither have I. One can remove power-ups and damage, and set a few circuit perks, including boosting the AI, but not remove the AI cars.

(C) Finally, in the career mode, is it truly the case that the game does not keep track of which cc level you have completed a cup on - meaning that if I complete all cups on 1000cc and get 90 gold cups, I will have little incentive to try and complete them again on 2000cc and 3000cc to get additional gold cups? A strange oversight, if true.
That is the case - you can beat career mode in any difficulty you wish. I'm currently playing through it on 'normal' AKA '2K cc', but nothing seems to preclude me from switching difficulty.

(D) Finally, the developers mentioned that they would take the opportunity to fully integrate the four DLC tracks into the career mode for the Wii U version. Can anybody verify that this is the case, for instance by telling me how the championship cups in the PS3/360/PC versions were organised? Were there less of them, or did they change some of them to include the additional tracks? (And to retrn to my fist question: is there a 15 track cup somewhere?)
No idea what was originally DLC on the other platforms. *shrug*

On the other hand, F1 Race Stars:

Mario Kart BS you-can't-dodge-this-shit items..
There are only two non-dodge-able real-threat power-ups, i.e. items that damage you and thus can send you to the pitstop: the rocket bottle and the near-range blast. All other threat power-ups, including all bubbles, can be dodged using the proper counter measures/evasive tactics. And I'm not referring to the invincibility power-up, which apparently can dodge everything.

.. tracks repeat themselves quite a bit (unless the DLC tracks were added into the career mode)
Career mode spans all 15 tracks in the game.

..only things to unlock are cosmetic profile-avatar stuff
True. Then again, unlockable content has never kept me in/away from a racer.

..and the physics, while a nice alternative to the usual kart racer, only make you wish you were playing either something more fast or more realistic.
It's still a kart game, though. Physics are mostly relevant for the time-trial mode, in career mode it's power-up/perks tactics.

Raitaro

Thanks blu, for those answers.

I have one new question though, and this is about how the difficulty of the AI seems to increase all of a sudden between races as if bugged.

Looking on Gamefaqs (don't flame me please, but check here) further cements my suspicion of a bug (assuming the PS3, 360 and Wii U versions are indeed similar, which they appear to be):

in career mode (and maybe in others as well) the game invisibly seems to switch from 1000cc difficulty to 3000cc when it comes to AI difficulty! This means that on one race in a cup of four on which you have selected 1000cc, you may very easily become first, but on the second or third, the AI becomes almost unbeatable and you come in last.

Some Gamefaq posters describe how this difficulty spike is recognizable by the AI collectively using speed boosts at the start or them using items with frightening efficiency (which, in normal 1000cc mode, they don't). One particular Gamefaqs poster (king_eric) even mentioned that he got a trophy for completing all 3000cc cups while he only ever chose 1000cc (meaning that, if his report is true, the game really is by all accounts invisibly picking 3000cc even when you select 1000cc sometimes)!

I actually tried to ask to developers about this issue, since at this moment it truly is preventing me and my girlfriend from advancing in the career mode, and this is what they answered: "Please note that the game does feature dynamic difficulty settings so that, if you (or someone else using the same profile) lose several races in a row, it will become much easier. If you then win several races in a row the difficulty will increase."

If the above is true, which I'm doubful of since it might just be a clever way of magically transforming a known bug into a feature to put on the back of the box, it still bums me out that the game is constantly switching between allowing me to win in one moment and bitch slapping me across the track in another.

Anybody else here having the same problems? Blu can you perhaps shed any light on this?

Top Bottom