• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: blank screen and no audio when playing Blu-Ray discs?

Hey GAF, have a strange one.

Bought a new PS4 yesterday - it works fantastically except for one issue. When attempting to watch a Blu-Ray movie, I get no sound or video. If I power cycle the TV or switch inputs and then switch back, the Blu-Ray plays fine. The TV is a circa-2011 model Toshiba HTDV (don't have the model handy) that has the latest firmware and otherwise works fine. Playing Blu-Rays from my PS3 on the same TV works just fine.

I'm suspecting an HDCP problem, but have no idea where to start. I have the latest PS4 firmware.

I have tried the following to no avail:

-swapped HDMI cables to a known good one
-swapped HDMI ports on the DV
-force 1080p on the PS4
-disabled 24p on the PS4
-tried multiple Blu-Rays

I don't have another TV on hand to try, and I haven't tried a DVD yet.

I'm running out of ideas, and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've had similar trouble where it takes several tries for the video detection to detect the incoming video, and often at that point it's already at the BD menu or if it's an auto-start BD it's well into the first chapter.

I haven't been able to get DVDs to play on it at all. :(

Squozen

Sounds like you've diagnosed the problem perfectly to me. You may have luck powering the components on in a particular sequence (that can help with standalone players) but for now I think your best bet is getting in touch with both Sony and Toshiba and seeing if they can reproduce the problem and provide a firmware fix.

Good luck.

Sounds terrible. I haven't encountered this issue, but then I've only used my PS4 to watch blu-rays once...

I'd suggest calling Sony as suggested by the poster above.

Top Bottom