• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaiff needs Gaf to buy a TV for the PS5 Pro

Mister Wolf

Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-14-49-screenshot.png

Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-15-8-screenshot.png

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The old Samsung I got is 4K but only 60Hz and from the year 2016. I need something better. Also, it's dead, so there's that.
No, you don’t.

It’s dead? Oh…

Get LG C series or G series, C series is cheaper I think. That’s it, you’re done.

STOP SPENDING MONEY!

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I'd go for a LG evo 65" G3 (~$2300); it's the best option under $2500 for an MLA panel and there'll be change for some games.

I'm also looking to upgrade my TV this year.

Have been a fan of TCL for the value its products offered. Tempted to their QM8.

The mini-led flagship has fairly good reviews on rtings.com

Any GAF have insights on this TV?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If you are primarily gaming you should take burn in seriously

Most OLEDs don't need you to worry about burn in unless you afk on super bright areas and don't move for hundreds of hours. Which, if you are primarily gaming, should never be the case. Even with things like menu items and minimaps, you are constantly going in and out of menus in most games so you should be fine.

Most OLEDs don't need you to worry about burn in unless you afk on super bright areas and don't move for hundreds of hours. Which, if you are primarily gaming, should never be the case. Even with things like menu items and minimaps, you are constantly going in and out of menus in most games so you should be fine.
I know multiple real OLED TV owners who have burn in from gaming

One of them is a father and his son plays Fortnite all the time, you try being a father and tell your son he can't play any more Fortnite because he's burning the UI into the TV

Newari

At your budget, definitely get at least 65 inch TV. LG G3 if you can find one in your price range (note: does not come with stand), if not then there is LG C3
Also something besides simping for LG I'd like to point out that Samsung S90C QD-OLED should be in same price tier as C3.

Plenty large but you said earlier 75" is too much.

Also, everyone says the LG but what about the Samsung and Sony ones? RTINGS has them as the top two best TVs.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

The Sony X93L/CL or the Samsung S90 more specifically.
C3 and A80L use the same panel, just different processing. Same with the S90C/S95C and A95L QD-OLED TVs.

If you’re primarily using it for games I’d recommend the S95C. I personally wouldn’t recommend any mini LED in that price range over the OLEDs.

Get the 65” A95L if you can find it on sale at or under $3k, especially if you plan on watching HDR TV or movies. I own this one and it’s phenomenal.

G4 would also be a safe bet.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Woled/qd Oled would be the easy choice but if you play a lot of 30fps content, I'd actually think twice. (The latest models may handle low foos content better though).
So you can either go with the S95C/G3 if you want an Oled or the Qn900C 👍

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. Currently rocking a Sony X930E/XE9305 from 2017. It's still pretty great, but of course just 60hz with no VRR. And although it was a really good LCD seven years ago I know better image quality can be had these days.

LG seems like the obvious choice for getting great gaming IQ at good value, but how is the OS experience etc on those? The thing is that I really enjoy Android/Google TV. Pretty much every app I'd ever need is there, and in the rare case something isn't I can just cast. So that's a Sony advantage I think LG can't quite match? I know people will tell me to just get an external streaming box because smart TVs suck anyway, but I don't actually agree. Good smart TVs don't suck, and having everything in one place and controlled by the same remote is quite convenient. And because my entire setup except for my Switch is Sony (TV, receiver, console) stuff like HDMI-CEC works great, which I know isn't always the case if you mix different brands. Also, the movie viewing experience is typically better on the best Sonys. But they are also A LOT more expensive.

Last edited:
If you are primarily gaming you should take burn in seriously
not really. If you vary content, you won’t have an issue. I’ve never even cared to think about it in having a 2018 oled, kids use it constantly, but yes, it’s not only Fortnite for 12 hours+ a day, it’s a variety of games, tv shows, movies, etc. zero burn in. Tested just recently with the colour tests. I haven’t heard of anyone in the last few years that have oled burn in. I’m sure it can happen, but I think you have to really work at it.

Bojji

I would not buy an OLED aside from MLA or QD-OLED gen 2 panels. Those ones have much better brightness.

Thanks for the input. Does this matter even if it’s dark room only?

Higher brightness is better obviously but both QD-Oled and MLA have this amazing flaw to almost no one talks about (timestamped):

You need to be in the pure dark room to see true black (any amount of light will lift it), this is ridiculous - one of the biggest OLED advantages is gone. Standard WOLED for life!

Last edited:
Top Bottom