• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs (Community vote)

Arulan

UPDATE: RPG Codex compiled their results into an article with user reviews, box arts, and screenshots. (List and images compiled by felipepepe; reviews submitted by RPG Codex community members and slightly edited by Crooked Bee.)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: felipepepe is working on "The cRPG Player's Handbook". Open call for reviews.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817333

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results.89680/

SElvEnJ.jpg

yoIK21O.jpg

Runner-Ups:

zPfjteq.jpg

ErFxDFV.png

Not too shabby a list, in all honesty. Although Wizardry VI > Wizardry VIII. And would you really consider Dark Souls a cRPG? I dunno, it's barely an RPG in all honesty. I mean, I guess you can consider it an action RPG, but still....

Durante

So much work, and then they post the results as a 3 color JPG. WHY?

That aside, really solid list. If I had to find some things I disagree with its the overrating of the Fallouts (not surprising on Codex) and the low position of Ultima 7.

I have played 4 of those :C
I played 33 :p

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I agree with Planescape as the #1 choice, but I'm surprised Fallout 1 is still so revered. It's much worse than Fallout 2/NV in almost every way.

Almighty

Darklands should be a little higher and I am both surprised and very pleased to see a Quest for Glory title on the list. Overall though this is the best list I have seen as it lacks the craptacular titles that usually stinks up these kinds of things.

Derrick01

Banned
This is arguably the first good RPG ranking list I've ever seen. If only we could do this as well as they did.

JeTmAn81 said:
Fallout: New Vegas in the top ten, Fallout 3 not on the list at all? Does not compute.

Fallout 3 doesn't belong on a top RPG list at all let alone higher than New Vegas.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Jagged Alliance 2 is a cRPG?
I think there's a good argument to be made for that categorization. While the tactical combat is clearly the focus, there are plenty of progression elements for the characters and a linear story running through the whole thing.

Zarovitch

It a great list, the order is not important for me.

I see good games i've play, others that i'll soon because of GOG.
Now i'm playing World of Xeen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Even being a Sierra fanboy I thought Quest for Glory IV being on the list was suspect...but then I figured Torment probably had the same amount of RPG elements to it, too, so eh.

Planescape, Baldur's Gate 2, SYSTEM SHOCK 2! (personal GOAT along with Deus Ex), KOTOR... so many good games. I like this list.

BTW should I play Alpha Protocol & Arcanum??

Steel

Banned
LIke where vampire bloodlines is, Kotor II is in a reasonable spot. Kotor I deserves much better than the 45 spot. May not have been as clever as II but it certainly played like a better star wars movie than at least any of the prequels, if not better than the original trilogy. Also good to see Morrowind where it is.

Alric

So much work, and then they post the results as a 3 color JPG. WHY?

That aside, really solid list. If I had to find some things I disagree with its the overrating of the Fallouts (not surprising on Codex) and the low position of Ultima 7.

I played 33 :p

Agreed with Fallout, I also would of found a place for Lands of Lore.

Gothic 1 and 2 should be in the top 10! Sad that the series only has 2 entries. ONLY TWO ENTRIES, WE'RE CLEAR?

I can agree with this as being the only 2 in the series.

Risen is basically Gothic.

Couldn't get into Risen as much though, Gothic 2 is just so damn good.

Pretty predictable list from them and also a good one. I'd hesitate to put Dark Souls in the same category as the others on the list because it's bit more action-based than CRPG-like. Just realized that I've played through all of them except for Geneforge.

Pools of Radiance mmmm If i remember correctly that's first rpg i've ever finished.

Good list altrough JA2 isn't rpg at all.

Rad-

Pretty bad list but it's nice to see F1 beat F2. F1 is the superior experience. Usually people seem to prefer F2 though.

I've finished 25/50 games mentioned there.

And you?

26/50 for me.

Lingitiz

Really glad to see Kotor 2 high on the list. Despite being unfinished it's one of the most well written games I've played.

Top Bottom