• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Producer Inspired by 90210 and Glee

maxcriden

medium.jpg

I used the methodology of American TV dramas like the older Beverly Hills 90210 (I’m a huge fan!), and Glee as references. In terms of games, a number of games developed outside of Japan had major influence on the storytelling. So if you think about it, I guess you could call Bravely Default a traditional Japanese RPG with American content thrown in.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/bravely_default_producer_inspired_by_90210_and_glee

http://www.destructoid.com/bravely-default-producer-inspired-by-beverly-hills-90210-270736.phtml

(I wouldn't have pictured this, but admittedly I haven't played the game.)

Wilsongt

Who is Ringabel supposed to be modeled after, then? I see him more of a Joey or Barney from HIMYM character than anyone from Glee.

Japanese developers always seem to have the craziest inspirations. Hironobu Sakaguchi was inspired by Terminator 1 and 2 when developing FF1. Yasumi Matsuno was inspired by Jet Li movies when developing Vagrant Story.

Japanese developers always seem to have the craziest inspirations. Hironobu Sakaguchi was inspired by Terminator 1 and 2 when developing FF1. Yasumi Matsuno was inspired by Jet Li movies when developing Vagrant Story.

Don't think he was inspired by Terminator 2 since it didn't exist yet.

Eusis

I'd point out Twin Peaks as better material (... though I haven't really watched 90210 or Glee to know for sure) but we already got Link's Awakening and Deadly Premonition out of that at a minimum. Hell, I suspect Twin Peaks set the tone for Zelda NPCs for the rest of the series.

EDIT: I was beaten and didn't even realize that could've happened.

maxcriden

Don't forget Link's Awakening and Twin Peaks.

I'd point out Twin Peaks as better material (... though I haven't really watched 90210 or Glee to know for sure) but we already got Link's Awakening and Deadly Premonition out of that at a minimum. Hell, I suspect Twin Peaks set the tone for Zelda NPCs for the rest of the series.

EDIT: I was beaten and didn't even realize that could've happened.

Wow, I had never heard this and am reading about it now. That's pretty cool, I love Twin Peaks. Thanks for the head's-up, guys!

Aonuma: Whoa, here we go. (laughs) Iwata-san, do you know about Twin Peaks?

Iwata: No. Bring me up to speed. (laughs)

Tezuka: We were talking about this before you arrived. I was talking about fashioning Link’s Awakening with a feel that was somewhat like Twin Peaks. At the time, Twin Peaks was rather popular. The drama was all about a small number of characters in a small town.

Iwata: Okay…

Tezuka: So when it came to Link’s Awakening, I wanted to make something that, while it would be small enough in scope to easily understand, it would have deep and distinctive characteristics.

Aonuma: At the time, I didn’t know what he was talking about. I was like, “What is this guy talking about?” (laughs) But since Twin Peaks was popular at the time…

Iwata: You thought he just wanted to be trendy?

Aonuma: Yeah. (laughs) I thought, “You really want to make Zelda like that?!” Now the mystery is solved. (laughs) When I was reading Tanabe-san’s comments in the strategy guide, I saw, “Tezuka-san suggested we make all the characters suspicious types like in the then-popular Twin Peaks.”

That is so cool!

Musan

Cool. Although the most out there videogame inspiration was Ogre Battle and the Bosnian wars of the 1990's.

Man, it only feels like yesterday that we were chanting DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES and worrying about David's orange juice meth addiction. Hopefully by playing through Bravely Default I can recapture that kind of magic.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen people calling the characters 'anime tropes', but they are actually western/American tropes!?

I hate the word trope.

demidar

I wouldn't call Deadly Premonition a bad game, just different in an amazing way. Closest thing to a modern Majora's Mask.

Mechanically it plays like crap and it's poorly optimized. Despite that it still turned out... well not good, but interesting. It's interesting-ness outweighs its badness.

Yeah, I remember reading that Hiroyuki Itou was inspired by American football of all things when he made the battle system for FF.

Glee has got to be one of the worst-written TV shows I've ever seen. I've never seen a show that lacked consistency among its characters and plot. Granted that it has improved somewhat last season (either that or my taste has undeniably worsened - LOL), it still can't be a good inspiration for a video game.

Nerokis

So does this mean all the postulating in this thread is shit? Bravely Default is western at heart.

Well, it probably is, but I wouldn't agree with that characterization of Bravely Default. That there was inspiration from Western TV series/video games does not change that those things were looked at through a Japanese lens, or that the result does have a distinct Japanese feel.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the "methodology" Asano is referring to. I don't think I've ever heard of 90210 inspiring a video game developer, much less a JRPG developer!

Top Bottom