• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A couple of friendly reminders regarding apostrophes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a comprehensive list. I'm sure I've forgotten a number of cases that I meant to mention, and didn't cover every possible situation.

First off, just as a preface to this thread, quotations around a single symbol are apostrophes. So, while you would say, for instance, an "apostrophe," you would say an 's.'

Just because a word ends in an 's' doesn't mean you need an apostrophe before or after it. Don't just reflexively put an apostrophe before or after a word just because it ends with an 's' - think when you use apostrophes.

There are two main times when apostrophes are used.

The first, which is fairly straightforward, is in contractions. In contractions, an apostrophe is used in place of a letter or letters that is/are being removed. For instance:
I'm (I am), can't (cannot), isn't (is not), wouldn't (would not), haven't (have not), ain't (ai not)
Ignore that last one, I'm not being serious there.

If you're using an apostrophe as part of a contraction (or think you are), ask yourself "What letter or letters is/are the apostrophe replacing?" and put the apostrophe in place of the letter or letters. If it isn't replacing any letters, it's not a contraction, so don't use it (examples of mis-use: wan't, wen't)

The other area that apostrophes are used is to show possession. There are a couple different cases where this shows up:

Singular words ending with a non-s letter:
Dog -> Dog's (belongs to the dog)
House -> House's (belongs to the house)
Clock -> Clock's (belongs to the clock)

Plural words ending with an 's':
Frogs -> Frogs' (belonging to the frogs)
Ducks -> Ducks' (belonging to the ducks)
Bags -> Bags' (belonging to the bags)

Now, for a more confusing set:

Singular words ending with an 's'
James -> James's (belonging to James)
Francis -> Francis's (belonging to Francis)
Charles -> Charles's (belonging to Charles)

There is an exception to this, however. To quote from APA (6th ed.), p. 97
"Use an apostrophe only with the singular form of names ending in unpronounced s (e.g., Descartes'). It is preferable to include "of" when referring to the plural form of names ending in unpronounced s (e.g., the home of the Descartes)."

A couple more notes on misuse:

"Its" is possessive already by definition of the word, it does not need an apostrophe.
For example, "That is its last use."
You only add an apostrophe if you are using "it's" as a contraction for "it is"
(Credit to vatstep down below, since I had meant to mention this and completely forgot it).

"Boy's" means belonging to a single boy
"Boys'" means belonging to a group of boys
"Dog's" means belonging to a single dog
"Dogs'" means belonging to a group of dogs

Relating back to the fact that the fact that apostrophes in contractions replace letters (or numbers), the following are correct:
'80s (the decade of the 1980s)
'90s (the decade of the 1990s)

The following does not refer to a decade:
90's (this would mean something belonging to "90." For instance, "90's always seems like ages away - but I'm a 3rd of the way there already.")

Another area to note is apostrophe use with acronyms. You only need to use an apostrophe if you are using possessive. For instance:
CDs (more than one CD)
CD's (belonging to the CD)
CDs' (belonging to a set of CDs)

EDIT: Oh yeah, another random tidbit:

In general, to make a word ending with a 'y' plural, remove the 'y' and and "ies"
puppy -> puppies
kitty -> kitties

Writing "puppy's" or "kitty's" would mean something belonging to a single puppy or kitty. For example:
The puppy's collar
The kitty's toy

As I said at the start, this is not meant to be a comprehensive list. I'm sure I've forgotten a number of cases that I meant to mention, and didn't cover every possible situation. So, others are free to offer up other apostrophe usages.

As well, definitely feel free to ask questions - I won't get to everything, but someone probably will.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell
And in keeping with that quotation, I probably made a whole pile of mistakes in this post, so feel free to mock away in the inevitable situation that I did.

Solo

For all intensive purposes, Im inclined to agree with you're hypothesis. They're are some out their who will not; however.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Unless you are using it in place of IT IS, IT'S is not a word. Neither is ITS'. Don't do it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you are using it in place of IT IS, IT'S is not a word. Neither is ITS'. Don't do it.

But how else can I designate the possessions of my dog Its, were it not for the word Its'? I guess I'll have to start packing away Its' stuff.

bobsquickguidetotheapostrophe.gif

GavinGT

Banned
So, which of the following is preferred?:

"This sentence contains three Is and zero Us."

"This sentence contains three I's and zero U's."

"This sentence contains three 'I's and zero 'U's."

I would normally use the first one, but that usage can be ambiguous at times.

terrisus

So, which of the following is preferred?:

"This sentence contains has three Is and zero Us."

"This sentence contains has three I's and zero U's."

"This sentence contains has three 'I's and zero 'U's."

I would normally use the first one, but that usage can be ambiguous at times.

I don't recall off the top of my head honestly (I certainly don't know everything). Anyone else is free to jump in with an answer, or I will when I get a chance.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think you mean Its's.

True, I'm cheating, given my dog Its is singular and not plural. However, if I had a family of dogs which I referred to by their surname, Its, it would be perfectly correct to say 'the Its' kennel is in need of new paints'.

Ourobolus

Banned
Bachelor's Degree

Well, yeah, I should have specified "By the definition of how the use is intended in that given sentence."
Ah, gotcha. I was worried that you had a bachelor in your possession and he himself had something that you were omitting. The confusion is understandable, you see.

terrisus

True, I'm cheating, given my dog Its is singular and not plural. However, if I had a family of dogs which I referred to by their surname, Its, it would be perfectly correct to say 'the Its' kennel is in need of new paints'.

Ah, alright, I understand now.

Ah, gotcha. I was worried that you had a bachelor in your possession and he himself had something that you were omitting. The confusion is understandable, you see.

Indubitably.

terrisus

Please tell me the thread title was on purpose. If not... Oh boy.

Looks like a mod got at it.
I had a feeling that would happen - I was actually considering putting apostrophes in both reminder's and apostrophe's just for comedic effect.

Dopus

Banned
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The second 'that' in this piece of writing could be more usefully replaced by 'which' to indicate a restrictive relative clause with greater clarity.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder.

I totally read this in Sofia Vergara's voice.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My neighbour is John Jones.
I have trouble keeping up with the Joneses.
The Joneses' dog took a dump on my lawn.
I'm going to kill John Jones' dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom