• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q : new details from Famitsu, party members can use alternate Personas

L~A

So apparently, Famitsu got a short article about Persona Q : Shadow of the Labyrinth. Here's the info (translation found on Dime a Dozen) :

It’s true, the other Persona 3 and 4 party members can now use alternate Personas. They’re referred to in the magazine as “Sub-Personas;” whether that’s just a means of differentiating the other Personas from their main ones or there’s something more to it isn’t stated. Apparently in the story they gain this power somehow by way of the two protagonists meeting each other. Details are scarce beyond it having something to do with their Wild Card power allowing it to happen.

Boost meter is built up by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Characters who manage to enter a Boosted state can on their next turn use their skills for free and, if I’m reading it right, jump ahead in line in terms of attack priority. The terminology is a bit vague.

Follow-up attacks that are performed when another character has taken their turn and All-Out Attacks have a higher chance of triggering as more and more characters enter a Boosted state.

Party chatter between members can change depending on who’s fighting with you. It’s not clear if this is just for battles or if it can include conversations outside of fights, too.

Source

ohlawd

The wild card mechanic is such bullshit anyway. Good that other party members aren't stuck with one Persona and its weakness.

Soriku

Boost meter is built up by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Characters who manage to enter a Boosted state can on their next turn use their skills for free and, if I’m reading it right, jump ahead in line in terms of attack priority. The terminology is a bit vague.

They could've just said, it's similar to Xenosaga 3!

Honestly, I think I'll enjoy this more than actual Persona. Going off of 4, it has WAY too much "non RPG" for me, and I don't like the randomly generated dungeons. I liked Etrian Odyssey though, so as long as the dungeons are designed and non-random, I should enjoy at least this spin-spin-off.

This game is almost like the second coming of Persona 1/2 (more so 1) from a gameplay standpoint

5 man parties
Everyone can go into the velvet room
First person dungeons
Everyone can switch Personas, not just the MC
Formation management (not as in depth as 1 though)

There may be more but I'm blanking atm

FluxWaveZ

This game is almost like the second coming of Persona 1/2 (more so 1) from a gameplay standpoint

5 man parties
First person dungeons

Alternate dimension shenanigans could be a small one, from a story perspective.

Hopefully, this isn't a sign it'll suck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Honestly, I think I'll enjoy this more than actual Persona. Going off of 4, it has WAY too much "non RPG" for me, and I don't like the randomly generated dungeons. I liked Etrian Odyssey though, so as long as the dungeons are designed and non-random, I should enjoy at least this spin-spin-off.

What is non rpg?

tuffy

So subclasses, then. I just keep mentally swapping in Etrian Odyssey terminology and it seems to make sense.

sub_o

This sounds like Persona 1 a lot. I wanna know fit he story will be dark or more lighter, considering the art style they are going for.

I see no reason to think the dungeons would be randomly generated. I think they'll be like EO's which would be awesome. I mean all the life simulation elements of mainline Persona (well, 3 & 4 anyway) aren't going to be here so they have to more resources to focus on the dungeon crawling aspect like EO.

So subclasses, then. I just keep mentally swapping in Etrian Odyssey terminology and it seems to make sense.
That's...what I'm thinking. Still, the battle system is sounding more Persona than I expected. I really would have preferred this spin-off to take a break from the "attack-attack weakness" hook but I do like the sound of that boost mechanic. Was wondering what kind of form the burst gauge meter from EOIV would take here but we're still a little hazy on the specifics.

Fandangox

5 man parties
First person dungeons

I am ready.

I really Miss everyone being able to enter the velvet room and use whichever persona.

kunonabi

5 man parties
First person dungeons

That's probably why I'm more excited for this anything else Persona related. I despise the singular persona approach for party members.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That's probably why I'm more excited for this anything else Persona related. I despise the singular persona approach for party members.

Hope it returns in Persona 5. Obviously they'll need to make the battles harder to reflect that. Tactics would be massively important due to this, the thought of it reminds me of the paradigms in FFXIII.

Meia

The only reason the whole "Fool is the only one that can switch persona" thing exists anyway isn't because of story reasons, but gameplay ones. The "1 More!" system is easy enough to exploit with one character being able to swap weaknesses and stuff on the fly, imagine if everyone could? Any game that has a massive bonus for hitting a weakness or penalty for being hit by a weakness logistically has to lock stuff like that down.

I mean, I CAN imagine them altering this in future Persona games with a similar battle system, but it would require a lot of thought. Maybe keep the affinity idea from the earlier persona games(where characters are better with specific arcana) since most strengths/weaknesses are based on arcana anyway(Fortune excelling at Wind for example).

For PQ, I think Personas are just going to be tied to the game's class systems, since the name "sub-persona" is similar enough to a "sub-class" of EO fame.

Frost_Ace

This game looks and sound more interesting with each piece of news.

A bit off-topic: is Etrian Odyssey 4 a good place to jump into the series?

Meia

I tried EO3 as my first, but couldn't really get into it.

I tried EO4 and can't put the damn thing down. There's still a demo out on the e-shop for it, and the data from it carries over to the main game if you decide you like it, so why not give it a shot? :D

And it's not much off-topic. The only reason why I seriously tried EO4 is the existence of this game, which is probably the main mission to begin with. :p

Vamphuntr

I'm getting more and more interested in this now. If it's EO but with Persona characters I'll be happy. The thing I hate the most from EO is the creepy art style.

whoa whoa whoa we don't know this for sure yet

oh god social links still be present
I could be wrong because, yeah we don't know much about the structure. Still I don't know how the premise would allow for proper social links. Maybe a stripped down version?

Yep! As someone said, why not try out the demo and see if it's to your liking? Though if you're in the EU then beware that the demo only has 3 tries, which is just ludicrous for the type of game EO is. Not sure what NISA was thinking there.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like the single person approach, gives the MC a special ability and it also makes you form parties based on strengths and minimizing weaknesses during boss fights. It forces you to use the entire party. If every character can switch personas, what differences is there going to be between the party members? Too homogeneous!

Frost_Ace

I tried EO3 as my first, but couldn't really get into it.

I tried EO4 and can't put the damn thing down. There's still a demo out on the e-shop for it, and the data from it carries over to the main game if you decide you like it, so why not give it a shot? :D

And it's not much off-topic. The only reason why I seriously tried EO4 is the existence of this game, which is probably the main mission to begin with. :p
Nice, thanks :D

At first I was all, there's no way this is canon, right? Because how on earth do you reconcile that with the rest of the franchise? But then someone else reminded me:

Oh yeah. Still, though, in the canon of P3/P4 specifically, hard to explain, isn't it?

in b4 "THIS is your complaint about canon?"

I like the single person approach, gives the MC a special ability and it also makes you form parties based on strengths and minimizing weaknesses during boss fights. It forces you to use the entire party. If every character can switch personas, what differences is there going to be between the party members? Too homogeneous!

P2:IS (and probably EP, haven't played it yet) handled this fine by having different characters have different tarot group (or whatever they're called) affinities. So you COULD equip a character with any persona, but only certain ones made sense.

Velcro Fly

A simple solution would be to have the MC have good/great affinity with any arcana but have your party members vary wildly like they do in Persona 1 and 2. That way you don't run into situations where you fuse something really good but your entire party has shit affinity towards that arcana and then whoops you have to go out and get more materials to fuse with.

FluxWaveZ

At first I was all, there's no way this is canon, right? Because how on earth do you reconcile that with the rest of the franchise?

This game takes place during the events of Persona 3 and Persona 4... so I don't think thinking about canon is worth it much with this particular game.

Meia

At first I was all, there's no way this is canon, right? Because how on earth do you reconcile that with the rest of the franchise? But then someone else reminded me:

Oh yeah. Still, though, in the canon of P3/P4 specifically, hard to explain, isn't it?

in b4 "THIS is your complaint about canon?"

We know it's a story involving time travel in some respects since the P3 crew gets taken from their time during their September, so maybe the meddling of that(and everyone being in the Velvet Room in the first place, the place in the series you could only get new personas to begin with in early games) could alter things somewhat.

The real question is what's the note this ends on. Obviously everyone will forget, well, maybe...

If it has enough of EO's gameplay, and it definitely has enough of the Persona character charm(which is probably why they're showing character trailers to begin with, Junpei's was brilliant), so I'm not worried. :D

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Seems they're pushing out details for this one fairly liberally. Hope Persona 5 starts getting some marketing soon. We still know next to nothing about it.

FluxWaveZ

Seems they're pushing out details for this one fairly liberally. Hope Persona 5 starts getting some marketing soon. We still know next to nothing about it.

Spring = PQ
Summer = P4A2
Fall = P4D
Winter = P5

It'll probably be a while.

Top Bottom