• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former EGM's Seanbaby's game, Calculord, is out (ios). Math based Card Strategy game

And its hard as balls lol. A lot of potential and depth though, well worth giving a shot.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calculords/id777125004?ls=1&mt=8
http://calculords.com/game/index.html

screen568x568.jpeg

screenshot.gif

The site has a general overview of the gameplay, but its a free download (seems like the whole game is there for free.... but additional 'expansion packs' are $2 each? Not sure).

Dambrosi

Banned

Reg

Banned
I'm sure I'm not remembering correctly but wasn't Seanbaby the one who reviewed a game without even playing it?

MC Safety

I really liked Calculords: the math, the punishing enemies, the card-based strategy.

It made me laugh, too.

I'd recommend the game even if you don't like its creator.

jkanownik

The concept is interesting, but the campaign design in terrible. I have zero interest in committing any time to the game after playing the first level multiple times and then getting trounced when the second level opened up.

Draft

This game is amazing. I joined the Fun Club. The polite robot cracks me up. I love how it looks. Doing simple multiplication makes me feel smart.

Draft

Seanbaby, if you're reading, just make it a 10 dollar PC game and I'll buy it.

Don't like microtransaction bullshit.
Near as I can tell, it is in fact a $10 game (but on iOS, not PC.)

$2 to join the Fun Club and turn off adds/get rarer cards from defeated enemies, and then 5 (or maybe 6) $2 boster packs that unlock other sets of rare cards from defeated enemies. A total expenditure of $10 (or $12) and the entire game is unlocked.

The F2P experience could be considered a demo. I'm no fan of the microtransaction future but the way Calculords handles it is pretty innocuous IMO.

does the game get easier? I got my ass kicked by the tutorial lol. I feel so dumb :(

No it gets A LOT harder.

I never found the tutorial or first level hard, it was the subsequent levels thereafter where the difficulty shoots up. Basically you'll have to grind the levels multiple times to get better cards so you can work your way through the campaign. I never found it a chore though and had fun with it. Once you work out the opponents strategy (which never changes) and have the right cards to deal with them then it's not that bad. It's just getting those cards can take a while (especially if you don't buy the packs).

I've put many hours in, max lvl 19 and didn't buy any packs. Haven't been able to do the final boss though.

Game is also rather buggy, which is a shame. Great concept and game though.

Tom_Cody

I can't wait to check this out after work.

Total cost of all the in-app purchases is only $12, which to me is fine if this ends but being a worthwhile gaming experience.

$2 to join the Fun Club and turn off adds/get rarer cards from defeated enemies, and then 5 (or maybe 6) $2 boster packs that unlock other sets of rare cards from defeated enemies. A total expenditure of $10 (or $12) and the entire game is unlocked.

The F2P experience could be considered a demo. I'm no fan of the microtransaction future but the way Calculords handles it is pretty innocuous IMO.
I agree with this.

You mean $12 (or $14) for the entire game. $2 for Fun Club + $10/$12 for 5/6 booster packs.

Top Bottom