• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KZ: SF Free MP Access Week + New Maps

bombshell

Lock if old.

To celebrate the imminent release of our first Free Map DLC on March 4th, we are making the acclaimed KILLZONE SHADOW FALL multiplayer available for FREE to all Playstation® 4 players for a week, starting 3rd of March 5PM PST. Best of all, you will not require PS PLUS to play the Free Access client this week!

Players begin downloading immediately and start playing as soon as the servers go live on the 4th. Pre-loading is possible immediately in Europe and the client will be available in North & South America on the 4th. See you in game!

Here's the EU link. You can grab it now so it's done in time for the open week https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...kend/cid=EP9000-CUSA00008_00-KZ4RELEASEOPENWE

That’s not all -- for this free multiplayer access week, we are prepping special Warzones for you to play the just the new maps, and compete on global leaderboards for Capture and Team Deathmatch game modes. All clans, including trial players, will be eligible for prizes in the Clan Community Challenge. There will be Warzones for those that enjoy the up close and personal touch of smaller skirmishes as well as those of you who want the epic scale of 24 player games. Additionally, our top players will be streaming Clan Battles; you can find the link to the streams in-game.

Keep an eye out on the Playstation® Blog for more exciting news on KILLZONE when the Free Access Week begins!

free_mp_access_28_2_l

http://killzone.com/en_US/blog/news/2014-02-28_Free-MP-Access-Week.html

Edit: Just dug up the announcement of the first two free maps from back in January:

First up is The Cruiser, a close-to-mid-range combat map set in the confines of a decommissioned ISA cruiser. Consisting of tight, claustrophobic corridors and interconnected compartments, the key to dominating this map is identifying and controlling its choke points.

11947888404_cbb94c75e9.jpg

Next is The Hangar, a wide-open map situated in the hangar bay of one of Helghan’s humongous mining spires. In addition to the main area, which offers long lines of sight suitable for sniping, the map contains alternative routes that will need to be secured for full control.

11947444305_5d8fb3be95.jpg

First free Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer maps revealed

ThisOne

Cool. I haven't played the game since November so I'll go back and try these new maps. I've only played it for a few hours total so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Carl

Pretty cool that anyone can download it and play it for the week. Should have a sale to coincide with it.

Would like to see more stuff like this.

Joeki11a

Banned
This seems desperate like they see the online
Figures and dont see many playing it. I still prefer KZ2 online and did enjoy the KZ3 online but not like KZ2.

hawk2025

The game has 11 patches so far, free maps, and just a ton of support.

Say what you will about Shadowfall, it's an example on how to support a game post-release even if the multiplayer didn't quite catch on.

TyrantII

Guerrilla Games are the best next gen Dev so far.

Active in their community, ask for feedback, support for free DLC and a design that doesn't split the MP base, and a plan for long term support of their product.

Wish more developers were like that.

Ridesh

Banned
I was kinda enjoying this game... until I played Battlefield 4 and noticed how awful is the input lag of this game. Now I can't go back.

Not sure if it "needed" new maps b/c I like all the existing maps and I'm not tired of them, but I'm sure Day One players will welcome the fresh scenery.

Also, no fragmentation. Boss move, Guerrilla/Sony!

Apparently they sold 2.1 million copies but when I saw multiplayer numbers @ my friends it looked more like this game was on its last leg 0_o 2000 players etc...

K_B

This is pretty exciting. I've never played a Killzone game before so this will give me a chance to try out the MP.

mitch1971

Active in their community, ask for feedback, support for free DLC and a design that doesn't split the MP base, and a plan for long term support of their product.

For all what they do, it's just a shame you still get the same nobs in the community who moan and moan in the forums asking where is my free maps!? I want my free maps! now ! now! Whhhhhaaaaaarh!. Stop sitting on your arse GG and give me what I want nooooooow!!!

bombshell

Just when my PS4 decided to go crazy and keep ejecting disks.. Great.

My brother had a similar issue with his PS4 one day some time ago. I don't know if the eject button can be too sensitive, but he moved his PS4 a little forward so the front with the eject button is only ever so slightly free from the table he has it on and it hasn't done it since.

Dead

well not really...yet
Apparently they sold 2.1 million copies but when I saw multiplayer numbers @ my friends it looked more like this game was on its last leg 0_o 2000 players etc...
Yeah a disappointing amount of players considering the sales. Shame. Hopefully this picks things up.

EL CUCO

I have a feeling this will be a free PS+ game by the end of the year.

I find this hard to believe. Sony has never included KZ2,KZ3, or even KZ1 HD as a free full game for plus. I doubt they'd start now.

What they did do was open up the mp in KZ3 for free up to a certain level, 15 if im not mistaken.

The MP in Shadowfall really is very polished and addicting. That and the post launch support of GG, really makes this a pleasure to play.

bombshell

Just dug up the announcement of the first two free maps from back in January:

First up is The Cruiser, a close-to-mid-range combat map set in the confines of a decommissioned ISA cruiser. Consisting of tight, claustrophobic corridors and interconnected compartments, the key to dominating this map is identifying and controlling its choke points.

11947888404_cbb94c75e9.jpg

Next is The Hangar, a wide-open map situated in the hangar bay of one of Helghan’s humongous mining spires. In addition to the main area, which offers long lines of sight suitable for sniping, the map contains alternative routes that will need to be secured for full control.

11947444305_5d8fb3be95.jpg

First free Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer maps revealed

Outside of the lack of any information whatsoever on the co-op, I agree with all of this. GG is doing a bang up job.

Kuro

I find this hard to believe. Sony has never included KZ2,KZ3, or even KZ1 HD as a free full game for plus. I doubt they'd start now.

What they did do was open up the mp in KZ3 for free up to a certain level, 15 if im not mistaken.

The MP in Shadowfall really is very polished and addicting. That and the post launch support of GG, really makes this a pleasure to play.

I still hate the way a lot of the maps are designed. Too easy to end up with spawn camping scenarios like that awful map The Forest.

TyrantII

I was kinda enjoying this game... until I played Battlefield 4 and noticed how awful is the input lag of this game. Now I can't go back.

Wipe the greasy junk off you controller, cause there's no input lag. Either that or fix your TV lag.

Nice drive by though.

I still hate the way a lot of the maps are designed. Too easy to end up with spawn camping scenarios like that awful map The Forest.

Forest is a problem, but all the others are designed very well. The problem almost always is the player base running to the damn same spot like a stamped of cows off a cliff.

Take the long way around, plant a spawn beacon, and turn the tide. So simple, but so hard for some reason. It amazes me how easy it is to clear out an entire enemy defense around an objective as a lone flanker sometimes.

EL CUCO

Spawns have multiple exits. Plenty to escape a spawn camping and flank. Or you can do what I do and yell at the people to lay down spawn beacons :p

bought this and the dlc and traded it in before I really got into it for no real reason other than I hate physical copies now

might get in on that amazon deal...

Obscured

This is great. I've been thinking this is a great way to introduce new DLC (been wanting other MP games to do this forever), but they've taken it a step further by giving everyone a chance to try out the game. Weird that Europe can pre-download it but NA cannot, I wonder why that is. Definitely something I'll be checking out.

TyrantII

I will say the MP sadly has a very small user base for reasons unknown.

That said it's a small base of dedicated fans and they mostly all seem to PTFO. Which in a game like this is nice.

No blueberries exclusively sniping and worrying about their terrible 1.01 KDR.

Stop running out the main entrance like a sheep. Use Scout emergency teleport for a quick exit. Also, there are several ways out of the spawns. One or more will allow you to shoot your enemies in the back. Your Support teammates will then be able to advance into neutral territory and put down Spawn beacons.

Of course, running Support yourself on the first spawn (and occasionally thereafter) and putting down beacons will eliminate this problem at the root anyway.

Kuro

Spawns have multiple exits. Plenty to escape a spawn camping and flank. Or you can do what I do and yell at the people to lay down spawn beacons :p

Yeah I'm just sick of always having to be the spawn beacon guy. Kind of the same issue I had in TF2 payload pub matches where no one else would be engineer.

Stop running out the main entrance like a sheep. Use Scout emergency teleport for a quick exit. Also, there are several ways out of the spawns. One or more will allow you to shoot your enemies in the back. Your Support teammates will then be able to advance into neutral territory and put down Spawn beacons.

Of course, running Support yourself on the first spawn (and occasionally thereafter) and putting down beacons will eliminate this problem at the root anyway.

The problem is my teammates dying. I usually get past the spawn camping easily but 80% of the other players will go out the same entrance and die.

Ilúvatar

Makes perfect sense that Sony is doing this to try and keep people from playing Titanfall, though I doubt it will make a dent in the numbers. Oh well, at least there will be even worse players online than usual *sharpens knife*

Or you could do what I do and just quit out of the matches where you're getting spawn camped by the entire enemy team. At that point its a bullshit waste of time.

Yeah I'm just sick of always having to be the spawn beacon guy. Kind of the same issue I had in TF2 payload pub matches where no one else would be engineer.

I only play support. But it sucks sometimes when you are the only one for sure.

The problem is my teammates dying. I usually get past the spawn camping easily but 80% of the other players will go out the same entrance and die.
Thats when i just give up on the match and sit hidden somewhere and keep reviving them lol quick way to upgrade your revive ability.

Loudninja

Ilúvatar;102651710 said:
Makes perfect sense that Sony is doing this to try and keep people from playing Titanfall, though I doubt it will make a dent in the numbers. Oh well, at least there will be even worse players online than usual *sharpens knife*
Free weekends are not uncommon and we knew about the free maps for months now.

Reallink

Think I'm on record calling this the worst MP shooter I've played in the last decade, and it absolutely is. Defense force looks to be recycling the same talking points either conveniently ignoring or utterly oblivious to the impracticality of getting 24 people to follow these rigid roles and strategies. In practice, your average game is a cluster fuck of ability abuse and class exploits and the design actively facilitates it.

I must have been playing with you last night. Some dude kept yelling out for people to place spawn beacons. The aggravation clearly evident in his voice was cracking me up. I did place some spawn beacons, though, and he was well-mannered enough to thank me.

Single handily turning the tide is more fun
I used to go for that, but it's happened so often my resolve just wore out.

I will say this about Killzone though, it is definitely a game where a single player can make a dramatic difference. Even just two players working together can easily overwhelm the average enemy team.

Likewise though, an organized team (even a majority of the team) dedicated to spawn camping is next to impossible to defeat once they're set up.

In practice, your average game is a cluster fuck of ability and class abuse and exploits and the design actively facilitates it.
Outside of the rampant spawn camping this isn't true. There was that one glitch with the shotgun pistol though (has that been fixed?). What this class abuse you're talking about?

EL CUCO

Or you could do what I do and just quit out of the matches where you're getting spawn camped by the entire enemy team. At that point its a bullshit waste of time.
Lol Nah I find it fun to flank an enemy team that's spawn camping. It makes it personal at that point.

It can be frustrating but odds are, if you're getting spawn camped, you have a crappy team. That's when I kiss winning the match goodbye and go on a head hunt.

I must have been playing with you last night. Some dude kept yelling out for people to place spawn beacons. The aggravation clearly evident in his voice was cracking me up. I did place some spawn beacons, though, and he was well-mannered enough to thank me.

I did play a few matches last night :$ been playing on and off since I got the Platinum. New maps come out I'll be getting on consistently again.

Top Bottom