• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: The Witcher, "I'm a witcher, I win."

I know I'm about 6.5 years lttp, but I just finished this game and am blown away. The art, the music, the story especially. It's a fantastic game that everyone interested in an adult-oriented fantasty game should play. I was gifted this game over a year ago by MickeyKnox here on GAF and I tried playing it for all of 30 mins. and hated it. The combat was really unappealing. I went back and read The Last Wish(the novel the character is based on) and decided I'd give it another shot. While the combat is not great, it really get's into a groove after an hour or so and isn't as bad as I initially thought. Though it's just like the Witcher 2 as far as difficulty scaling goes, it's damn near too easy during the last two chapters of the game. But all that aside, it's the story and the setting that brings this game to my "greatest games of all time" list. The story is just flat out awesome and the setting, holy shit is the setting awesome. Seeing the elves and dwarves live in the ghetto's and being treated like shit and constantly belittled threw me for a loop. They did it similarly in TW2 but I think it was done better in TW1. It's really hard to suggest this game to friends if they only spent 30 mins. on it and give up like I did, but man is it worth it if you stick it out.

I'm now gonna play through TW2 again in anticipation of TW3.

Steam Pics:
5B0559326C6554C1941AD6471A9C397E6602D1BB

E35367B5AC4936D1122F78BE8D9790C63E5A603C

287C76A0F1A5274FD1F77343FEE56303E1309474

0A65D2659BF4AAC4E102E183F22543BAFA03D841

907D2376E064CCAF47B7CD30BDF20ECF5313E8E7

6848D9BC0DDE3BC76E9C5B96C069591449351BB7

A5F0857BE9D0BEF2C001473E352DC71093C7213E

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really enjoyed The Witcher, and in some ways even more than the sequel. I think the atmosphere was stronger, and honestly, I really enjoyed the combat. Don't know what everyone's problem with it was, but it was intuitive and looked great. And I loved feeling like a badass by the end of the game.

sn00zer

I really tried to get into this game about 4 or 5 times, but the art and horrible animations were really hard for me to get passed, on top of an incredibly complex leveling and stat system, the game just didnt seem pretty enough for me to want to explore it further.

Sanctuary

It's a great game. I like TW2 a little more, but the first game just had a better overall atmosphere. Like, a lot better.

I really tried to get into this game about 4 or 5 times, but the art and horrible animations were really hard for me to get passed, on top of an incredibly complex leveling and stat system, the game just didnt seem pretty enough for me to want to explore it further.

What, seriously? It's about as average as you can get for a cRPG.

I really enjoyed The Witcher, and in some ways even more than the sequel. I think the atmosphere was stronger, and honestly, I really enjoyed the combat. Don't know what everyone's problem with it was, but it was intuitive and looked great. And I loved feeling like a badass by the end of the game.

I didn't like it at first for sure, but it actually did kind of grow on me. You do feel like a bad ass by the end. Just slicing through everyone in your path.

I think what I like about the game is how well they captured the character of Geralt. I chose not to do a lot of the pointless sex shenanigans and played through the game almost as neutral as possible, which is how he is in the books. He really only chooses sides when he has no choice. I like that CDPR really captured the spirit of Geralt and the voice actor of Geralt really nailed it in my opinion.

It looks crazy complex, but once I realized what it was supposed to be I was surprised at how simple it is. No joke, it's initial presentation is super overwhelming, but it's really really simple. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you were to spend enough time with it, it would make sense.

BHK3

Banned
Does it really get that much better after an hour? I put a half hour or so into it but I literally laughed at the battle system and not to mention the bugs with newer systems

Same thing happened to me, played it for like 30 minutes at first and didn't like it. It was years ago. Then the Witcher 2 was announced, so I thought I would give it another shot and I did. Best decision ever, I came to love everything I used to hate about it, and love pretty much everything it offered. Easily one of the greatest games of the past 10 years, it and TW2 alike. Can't wait for TW3!

Grinchy

Banned

I put like 15 hours into it and just found myself bored. I never cared about the characters or the story, and that's typically what gets me though an RPG. It was just such a bore to play overall for me.

I bought TW2 on sale but my PC can't run it. I'll give it a shot in a year or 2 when I build a new PC.

CTLance

Now and then I get the urge to watch the intro movie again. The nostalgia!

I really should do another playthrough of this. I hate you, OP. I have no time for this right now.

As an aside, I switched to Polish with subtitles. Vastly superior, much better atmosphere.
Then again, I'm one of those subtitle zealots, so YMMV.

Wiktor

I actually loved the combat. Made the typical Diablo-like clicking as engaging as action game. Wish more games would use similiar system. Lack of it kills my enjoyment of stuff like Torchlight II, Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

hemtae

I liked everything in this game that wasn't the combat or the swamp.

I really do need to get going on the sequel.

Now and then I get the urge to watch the intro movie again. The nostalgia!

I really should do another playthrough of this. I hate you, OP. I have no time for this right now.

As an aside, I switched to Polish with subtitles. Vastly superior, much better atmosphere.
Then again, I'm one of those subtitle zealots, so YMMV.

It really is a great intro. It's almost exactly how it is in the short story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhLnRAt7eo

MightyKAC

Own both Witcher games, put about 15 hours into each of them. I honestly tried my heart out to like them both but I couldn't.

The art was beautiful, the characters were memorable, and the story was captivating.

But for the life of me I could not stand that FUCKING combat. I tried to push through it but the whole thing just felt like I wasn't really in control of the character and I couldn't make him do the things the game wanted me to do with him.

It's was just fucking horrible.

This honestly gives me doubts about Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk being for me or not :p

Vaporak

I'll never understand how people bitch endlessly about The Witchers combat mechanics, but Diablo/Torchlight/etc get praised. My guess would be people see the camera system and have certain expectations about how the game will work that doesn't turn out to be the case, and the dashes expectations colors their opinion of the mechanics.

I'm not too concerned. It seems combat improves more and more after each iteration. Like I said earlier, it took me a while, but once you realize with the combat in TW1 you just more or less click on your target and then you have to wait for the attack to finish and the sword to flame up and then you click again. I felt mostly in control and never really took issue after I understood the mechanics. I liked TW2's combat so I dunno.

From my understanding is they are using the Arkham games as inspiration for TW3. So depending on how that's implemented it could be great, or just too easy. But it's easy for my to put my faith in CDPR as they've yet to put out a bad game.

lumzi23

You have given me courage to try this game out. Loved the TW2 but I was afraid to try this one out due to its reputation as being super clunky.

And Geralt looks very, intensely ugly in this one, Holy Cow!

lumzi23

Own both Witcher games, put about 15 hours into each of them. I honestly tried my heart out to like them both but I couldn't.

The art was beautiful, the characters were memorable, and the story was captivating.

But for the life of me I could not stand that FUCKING combat. I tried to push through it but the whole thing just felt like I wasn't really in control of the character and I couldn't make him do the things the game wanted me to do with him.

This honestly gives me doubts about Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk being for me or not :p

Controller or Keyboard and mouse?

Sanctuary

From my understanding is they are using the Arkham games as inspiration for TW3. So depending on how that's implemented it could be great, or just too easy. But it's easy for my to put my faith in CDPR as they've yet to put out a bad game.

I don't know why so many seem to keep forgetting that they said the exact same thing about TW2. And it showed through the combat.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/04/cd-projekt-the-witcher-2-takes-inspiration-from-demons-souls/
http://n4g.com/news/595014/the-witcher-2-inspired-by-batman-arkham-asylum-and-heavy-rain#c-4186186

The link to the actual story in the second link above is dead, but I remember seeing it mentioned during the gameplay demos while TW2 was still in development.

The only way it was similar to Demon's was the damage enemies dealt to you upon release. Two nerf patches later and you can't even tell that Demon's inspired the game in any way, yet the Batman influence is clearly present still.

I don't know why so many seem to keep forgetting that they said the exact same thing about TW2. And it showed through the combat.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/04/cd-projekt-the-witcher-2-takes-inspiration-from-demons-souls/

The only way it was similar to Demon's was the damage enemies dealt to you upon release. Two nerf patches later and you can't even tell that Demon's inspired the game in any way, yet the Batman influence is clearly present still.

But I took it in that they mean it'll look more flowing as opposed to how it's done in TW2, which is roll, quen, roll, attack, roll, repeat. Granted, it's not that simple, but more or less, it basically boiled down to that. I thought it looked great, and felt fine so it never bothered me as much as others. I remember TW2 very well, as that game came out on my birthday and that initial dragon part was pretty tough as I had next to no exposure to series or mechanics and it had a dog-shit tutuorial. I toughed through it though and that game is also one of my favorites of all time.

edit:

Controller or Keyboard and mouse?

TW1 is kb/m only, TW2 supports controllers well though.

Anteater

Try using the combat revamp mod for TW2, I never played the vanilla so I don't know how it compares, but the character controls fine with the mod, even though it's a pretty boring combat system, it works fine.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, it's a fantastic and extremely underrated game.

On some aspects, it's better tha TW2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had the very same issue with the combat putting me off continuing with the game. It took me a good few tries to give it a fair shake, but I was glad I got there in the end as I ultimately loved every minute of the campaign.

I definitely agree with this: there's an almost palpable, perpetual sense of drear and gloom blanketing the world. It's why I prefer the original to the sequel.

But all that aside, it's the story and the setting that brings this game to my "greatest games of all time" list.
Completely agree, and, unlike most people, I found the combat to be quite agreeable. I found myself really struggling at first to get into the game, but The Witcher is one of the richest, most well-rounded experiences I have had in videogames. It is rough around the edges, but darn it does it shine when you invest a little time into it.

Sanctuary

I definitely agree with this: there's an almost palpable, perpetual sense of drear and gloom blanketing the world. It's why I prefer the original to the sequel.

Ironically, the only other games that have a similar atmosphere would be either of the Souls games. Atmospherically, TW2 lost that aspect, even though it was supposedly inspired by Demon's.
The combat in the first game never bored me like some, but it was never particularly challenging. TW2 at launch was actually challenging until you had a couple of levels into Quen (which then broke the game entirely). Then once EE launched, the combat became a snore, and I've been meaning to go back to the game with the FCR mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

MightyKAC

Try using the combat revamp mod for TW2, I never played the vanilla so I don't know how it compares, but the character controls fine with the mod, even though it's a pretty boring combat system, it works fine.

I'll look that up, thanks.

Log4Girlz

Played a third of the first one but just....stopped. After that first boss bullshit where you MUST have a certain potion to do shit to it, without the game being obvious about it, so that if you didn't have the right ingredients to make one you had to go to a previous save (which mine was HOURS before that fight)...yeah I wasn't happy.

Sanctuary

Played a third of the first one but just....stopped. After that first boss bullshit where you MUST have a certain potion to do shit to it, without the game being obvious about it, so that if you didn't have the right ingredients to make one you had to go to a previous save (which mine was HOURS before that fight)...yeah I wasn't happy.

Which boss was that?

Log4Girlz

Which boss was that?

That fucking ghost dog. I had to look that shit up like, why the fuck is it beating me. Yeah, a LOT of people complained about the issue I had just mentioned. And I felt stupid because I never made the oil I needed for my blade for that fucker when I thought "hey, should I make this now?".

Sanctuary

That fucking ghost dog. I had to look that shit up like, why the fuck is it beating me. Yeah, a LOT of people complained about the issue I had just mentioned. And I felt stupid because I never made the oil I needed for my blade for that fucker when I thought "hey, should I make this now?".

I don't remember The Beast requiring a potion to beat, but I only played it once when it was first released and then all of my other playthroughs were with the Enhanced Edition (so maybe it was changed). That's also not 1/3 of the way through the game, it's fairly early.

orient

Neo Member
Even if you hate the combat, it's worth playing through on easy just to experience the story and atmosphere. The latest combat mod is supposed to be great, too.

Both games have their problems but man, I'm more than willing to put up with them because they're total RPG gems. The sense of place in TW1 is probably better than in the sequel. TW2 looks amazing but feels weirdly segmented (even though it was huge), and it never really put you in the heart of a city, which was the best part of the original.

The swamp in TW1 is pretty horrid. It's not as bad as that maze tower in Dragon Age where you mutate into a mouse, but it definitely drags. I really loved every other location, though.

Log4Girlz

I don't remember The Beast requiring a potion to beat, but I only played it once when it was first released and then all of my other playthroughs were with the Enhanced Edition (so maybe it was changed). That's also not 1/3 of the way through the game, it's fairly early.

I didn't stop there. But the fight left a bad taste in my mouth.

I got really lucky with this fight. Just happened to spec in the right way and that fight took me all of 1 minute to do.

Even if you hate the combat, it's worth playing through on easy just to experience the story and atmosphere. The latest combat mod is supposed to be great, too.

Both games have their problems but man, I'm more than willing to put up with them because they're total RPG gems. The sense of place in TW1 is probably better than in the sequel. TW2 looks amazing but feels weirdly segmented (even though it was huge), and it never really put you in the heart of a city, which was the best part of the original.

The swamp in TW1 is pretty horrid. It's not as bad as that maze tower in Dragon Age where you mutate into a mouse, but it definitely drags. I really loved every other location, though.

So very true. The experience of the story and atmosphere is fantastic. Vizima really does feel like a place with a lot of history, and you get this sense of dread from the outset.

Maybe it's just me seeing through the graphics, but TW1's atmosphere only gets through to me sometimes. And the combat is a love-hate thing for me, too. I can get into a groove with it, but I feel like I don't really understand the systems and am just spamming. It also feels somewhat loose thanks to the camera angle making me expect something like Revengeance.

Despite the flaws though, it's mostly the godawful stairs to the swamp tower that pissed me off, so I anticipate that after a graphics mod or two, a combat mod, and the Polish + subtitles, things will improve. I already like the game thanks to the grit and lack of pomposity.

I dislike the inventory and potion system, though. I like the potions on paper but I never feel I can really make strategic use of them, and the ingredients are hard to sort.

Wiseblood

A little tip to make the running around the swamp slightly more bearable, Geralt runs fastest when his sword is out in group style.

A little tip to make the running around the swamp slightly more bearable, Geralt runs fastest when his sword is out in group style.

I have a Logitech G110 and I bound a key to always be pressing the "W" key, so whenever I knew I was in for a trek I'd just hit that and it made it more bearable. The swamp is really cool, it's atmospheric as hell, looks and sounds great but I'll admit by the end of Chpt. 2 though i was getting a bit bored with it. Chpt. 3 & 4 of The Witcher are my favorite chapters. They have so much plot development and mystery. Chpt. 4's change of scenery is awesome. The little village felt so real and alive.

One thing I'm disappointed in The Witcher 2 is the monster hunting. In TW1 it's like you're a detective, looking on how to kill certain monsters, you'll need to talk to villagers, or find a book so you can learn the monsters weaknesses and strengths. It was awesome as it made you feel like you were a professional monster slayer. In TW2 it's almost non-existent in comparison to the first game. I'm pretty sure, that CDPR will find a balance between the two games for TW3.

Never got past the bargest. I couldn't even go back to level up or gather supplies because I was eternally stuck in the cave before the fight.

So, uh... how'd your card collection turn out?

I think I got two cards?! I'm not too sure, it seemed stupid to get sex cards, so I never went into those branches of dialogue when I played it. It broke the immersion for me as they were always like, "Hey, buy me some wine and we'll bang." While it is pretty realistic(at least in my experience), it just isn't something I foresaw a professional monster slayer getting too involved with. In the book The Last Wish, Garret wasn't trying to bang everything moving so I kind of played the game that way.

Funny how appropriate the timing of this thread is, I just started the game for the first time couple of days ago. I finished a couple of quests in Vizima but they keep throwing more at me.

The combat is really the weakness of the game for me, feels very MMO-ish, just pick a target and wait for the QTE to land a combo, maybe it will change once I get more spells but sword play seems to be set in stone, hopefully its better in the sequels.

All in all enjoying my time with it so far, a bit janky but has cools systems that makes you want to explore more (potions, alchemy).

Alric

Absolutely loved it too, I remember the first time I played it I got up to chapter 2 and stopped and then a year later came back from the start and couldn't put it down til I did everything. Loved the second one as well and can't wait for the 3rd. CD Projekt has earned my trust with expecting greatness.

Sanctuary

Funny how appropriate the timing of this thread is, I just started the game for the first time couple of days ago. I finished a couple of quests in Vizima but they keep throwing more at me.

The combat is really the weakness of the game for me, feels very MMO-ish, just pick a target and wait for the QTE to land a combo, maybe it will change once I get more spells but sword play seems to be set in stone, hopefully its better in the sequels.

All in all enjoying my time with it so far, a bit janky but has cools systems that makes you want to explore more (potions, alchemy).

The sword icon is hardly a QTE. You can also play on the higher difficulties where that's disabled too. You also kind of have to expect it to be somewhat "janky" considering it was developed in 2007 with an already aged engine.

Savitar

I might have been one of the few people who enjoyed the battle system in Witcher, I found it engaging and refreshing. It was different and once you were able to switch between sword strikes it could be a blast taking down different people by changing up styles on the fly. I loved it.

The story, the atmosphere, the way things were done....I feel in love with it hard since it was so not the usual spoon fed stuff we get.

Top Bottom