• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, I played Witcher 3: Complete Edition - my simple review with reference to Skyrim

keraj37

Finally, after so many years of avoiding this arguably masterpiece, I put my hands on the Complete Edition for my XSX.
I took me some time, I know, but it was worth it - the game is very good.

I will not spill any score like 9/10 or anything, I don't feel entitled and skilled enough.
But here are my points I can write with genuine conviction:

Negative:
1. I played the freaking Complete Edition and game is still full of bugs, crashing to Xbox Menu etc. What? You call it complete?
2. Stupid thing, but I see cheese on the table, I want to loot it, the game only allows me to loot what's in the containers?
2.1. In Skyrim, you can grab all things lying around, and be punished for it by a nearby NPC.
2.2. In Witcher 3, you can be punished by some NPCs, but you still cannot grab things around you, only in containers
3. The controls of the Gerald are a jest, mainly when you want to be precise - my controller feels not enough for jumping and running Gerald.
4. Small issue, but many NPCs seem to share the same face, especially merchants.
4.1. In Skyrim I don't remember seeing the same face twice...
5. Only NPCs that will react to me looting and stealing their stuff are soldiers.
5.1. In Skyrim every NPC feels like having attachment to its possessions, thus stealing from random peasant in his home will result in a combat.

Positive:
1. In you into great story: this is the game for you.
2. Writing: Some jokes and simple conversations seem very natural and fantastic.
3. Combat is simple and yet rewarding if you know what you do.
3.1. Before I laid my hands on this game, I heard that combat is one of the weakest points, I don't agree.
4. So much content, keeps you busy for more than you paid for the game.
5. GWENT, man, mini-game that I play with the same passion as the main game. They did something right here.
6. Novigrad: my best virtual city ever, feels so natural, with every corner and dark ally handcrafted.
7. RPG level progression: keeps you engaged to the end: no matter if it is new gear or potion to craft.
8. World construction: big subject, but briefly, it feels genuine and frank, like the people creating it had a passion for gaming.
9. It looks great on my XSX playing in Ray Tracing mode, really my OLED LG screen has something to digest.
10. Sounds and music: some music I heard are just AWESOME, I have no other word to describe it.

Well, I am sure there is more I could write here, but what do you think? How do you compare it to Skyrim?

Between the original game and it's DLC, it's soundtrack stands as one of my most played video game OST probably ever.

So much of that game fires on all cylinders. It's not perfect, it could do things better. But what it offers as a package, is one of the best 3rd-person Action-RPG's ever made and a great conclusion to a great trilogy.

I really hope they do that W1 remake they attempted so many years ago. Geralt is such a great character and more people would probably be receptive to him now with his popularity at such an all time high.

A.Romero

Different focuses on each game. I think it's hardly fair to measure Witcher by comparing it to Skyrim.

The most glaring issue with the game is controls and the loot system (equipment becomes obsolete pretty fast so it's an issue when you want to use especific gear but don't want to get hit by a stat penalty).

Other than that it's the best RPG so far IMO but there are other games that do some of the stuff together, it's just that is best as a package in comparison.

Too bad they fucked the show over.

I really don't like comparing it with Skyrim because their only similarity is that they are open world RPGs. In Witcher 3 you are playing as a well-defined character, with a well defined fighting style, and there is a well-defined story and amazing side quests built around the lore. With Skyrim you pick who you want to be, how you want to fight, and your playstyle. It is more free. Skyrim's story and dialogue does not have nearly the depth, but that is understandable as it needs to be open enough for you to be anything you want inside the confines of the story. Honestly they are both excellent games though. I enjoyed the story of the Witcher 3 more, and I have a greater connection to the characters. On the other hand I have put WAY more time into Skyrim, and it is still extremely memorable to me.

To be honest, by the time Skyrim came out, the whole "you can pick up any item!" thing lost its novelty. I've never been playing another game and thought, "You know what would make this game better? If I could pick up that random piece of bread over there."

Both great games, by the way.

Flutta

Banned
what year is it GIF

Mozzarella

Witcher series and Elder Scrolls are totally opposites, they are nothing alike except for being Fantasy RPGs even the type of Fantasy and Roleplaying is different.

High Fantasy vs Low Fantasy
Sandbox Open-world vs Standard Open-world
Gameplay focused vs Story focused
Blank Roleplaying vs Pre-defined Roleplaying
Seamless presentation vs Cinematic presentation

The games are different, you can like both obviously.

As for how i think Witcher 3 compares to Skyrim:
I'd say that Witcher 3 has better story, characters, combat, expansions (Skyrim expansions are still good too), art direction, quests, dialogue system (Choice and Consequence) and gwent lol.
Skyrim has better: gameplay, exploration, freedom (character playstyle), dynamic open world and mods.

I think both games do immersion and music well, nobody beats the other here imo.
Its true that Witcher 3 soundtrack is more authentic and folklore based but at the same time Skyrim has great ambient soundtrack that makes you lose hours at night while exploring peacefully.
Skyrim first person also helps it in the immersion, without that it will not be a draw, Witcher 3 has one of the best atmosphere and immersion to me despite being third person, but Skyrim first person view helps it iron that advantage to a draw.

I personally like both games but many people i know tend to like one and dislike the other, i think Witcher 3 with its expansions has the upper hand, but thats mainly because I think Morrowind is the best TES, but both games were amazing experiences for me and i still have both installed to this day.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Yeah the Skyrim comparisons are frankly moronic, they are so superficially similar as games you might as well compare it to Final Fantasy 7 or Fable ffs…Oh and in Skyrim yes there absolutely is npcs with the same face, same voice too.
Controls are janky even with the improvements sure, but as far as engaging side quests,narrative and characters TW3 is fantastic, the music, atmosphere etc is great and its a perfect example of how to do expansions.

Good game. Played it recently.

Great characters, music, graphics.

Didn't like how you level up though. Felt very limiting.

LostDonkey

I think I put about 20 hours into it and gave up. Didn't like it. Terrible combat, bad sound effects, boring world, rubbish enemies. Not my cup of tea.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Love your negative points because they just magnify how dumb, worthless, minute, and honestly inconsequential the whole “pick up any item” feature in Bethesda games are. You can’t even do much of anything with it, it’s just hoarding.

At least let me put all those forks in a gunpowder barrel and when it explodes it becomes a nail grenade or something.

GymWolf

Both dlc have a better story than vanilla w3, fight me.

I really didn't cared a bit for cirilla or the death march, the sidestories were better.

Dr_Ifto

Never came across an NPC with the same face as another in Skyrim? Are you joking? Lots of repeating faces.

Last edited:
OOF TOPIC but Witcher 3 has a CACHE problem on PS5.

It's the only game I ever found this issue, if you're having odd lod pop in swaps, or texture swaps, you should clear the cache and rebuild database.

It will fix it until it comes back, then you need to repeat those steps. Shame on CDPR

Denton

I enjoyed Skyrim, but even in the year it came out (2011) it played second fiddle (quality-wise, not sales-wise) to Witcher 2.

As for your negatives, they sound kinda dumb and inconsequential, aside from the bugs one. But it is weird, because I played Witcher 3 at launch (may 2015) and it was one of the most polished-at-launch RPGs I ever played. No questbreaking/gamebreaking bugs have been encountered by me (PC version).
I did have few issues with it back then (inventory stuff, Dijkstra's story behaviour at the end of his questline) but those did not detract from it being the best game I ever played.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
2. Stupid thing, but I see cheese on the table, I want to loot it, the game only allows me to loot what's in the containers?
2.1. In Skyrim, you can grab all things lying around, and be punished for it by a nearby NPC.
2.2. In Witcher 3, you can be punished by some NPCs, but you still cannot grab things around you, only in containers
3. The controls of the Gerald are a jest, mainly when you want to be precise - my controller feels not enough for jumping and running Gerald.
2. Good thing as you don't waste time with too many useless junk.
2.1 Good thing as you don't waste time with too many useless junk.
2.2 Good thing as you don't waste time with too many useless junk.
3. Play with "alternate control" ON in options. For even better controls only PC version could help with its minimum input lag and mods.

Last edited:
I'm LTTP too and have been playing witcher 3 some this year. I'm like, why do I always jump when I swing again? ha!
I'm definitely not impressed by the combat, but it's serviceable I guess.

AlphaMale

My main gripe with The Witcher 3 is that most of the witchers in the game speak in American accents. Everyone else speaks in a style of British accent.
I think an American accent in these types of games/settings feels weird and is a distraction.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My main gripe with The Witcher 3 is that most of the witchers in the game speak in American accents. Everyone else speaks in a style of British accent.
I think an American accent in these types of games/settings feels weird and is a distraction.
You should be playing in polish anyway...

Kindela

Banned
Absolutely terrific game. The world design is sublime, Novigrad is unbelievably well realised, and the music is spot on. Spent most of the game without minimap, without fast travel and just slowly riding throughout the map. Don't remember the story being mindblowing, but the characters, the tone and writing are all well above most AAA rpgs.
Had the combat been a bit better I'd have probably replayed it.

Last edited:

Tunned

I tried playing through it three or four times, farthest I got was Skillage. But I drop the game every time and have no motivation to continue, even though the game is great.

Oh, and I avoid Gwent like the plague, it's so boring... *Raises flame shield*

Top Bottom