• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Went through the washing machine.

Chucker

Just found out my Animal Crossing 3DS XL went through our washing machine. I just put it in a bag of rice, but does anybody have any experience with this, or other suggestions?

More bummed that it was a LE 3DS than anything else.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oooo, I hope it works out well.

The worst I've done was keep $200 in my pocket through the washing machine. The money was shredded and I was devastated over that. But then this other time I accidentally left a $5 bill in the pocket and it was completely fine.

Best of luck with it working. If it wasn't in sleep mode it might have a slightly higher chance of surviving, although the soap and jumbling all over the place probably didn't help it much. You did the right thing with the rice before turning it on to test it, so hopefully it still functions however unlikely that is.

Shun

RIP dude, I feel your pain.

Reading this is making me hug my Animal Crossing 3DS XL too.

Assuming that you always keep it on, the thing is fried.

If you wanna try to revive it, maybe send it to Nintendo and they'll revive it for a fee.
If not, go looking for a new 3DS.

If they do take it, maybe your saves and what not will live but overall things aren't looking too hopeful for you.

My lovely wife just put my Animal Crossing 3DS XL through our washing machine. I just put it in a bag of rice, but does anybody have any experience with this, or other suggestions?

More bummed that it was a LE 3DS than anything else.

If you're worried about the fact that it's the LE edition and want to try and preserve that casing, would you want to consider having the innards replaced? Like, get a new one and just swap the outer body?

If it went through a full wash cycle with detergent and everything...you can bet it's dead and rice won't do anything to save it, I'm sorry to say.

Bsigg12

Pull the SD card because there's a chance that may have survived. It would be a matter of getting Nintendo to transfer licenses to the new 3DS.

Nasser

try talking with Nin... I doubt they will do anything, but hey!
Hopefully it works like it was before! good luck

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
One time I left a deck of pokemon cards in my pocket and it got washed. Ruined. I cried for months.

Ricky 7

That happened to my N-Gage 10 years ago. It unfortunately didn't live but I didn't know about the rice trick back then so there still could be hope for your 3DS.

lt519

Rice for awhile is your best bet. Also those moth bags they put into clothes at stores will help. You honestly might be ok but just refrain from booting it up for a few days. I just put a SD card and a USB reader through the wash and dryer and still works fine.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
you could say that the washing machine...

has probably taken atoll on the 3DS

sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully it still works

120v

back when cell phones were a new thing and i wasn't used to having an electronic in my pocket this happened a few times. if i recall correctly i took it apart and put it on top of a heater for about a day and sometimes that worked

that's all i got

HardRojo

My 3DS XL was stolen from my backpack about 2 weeks ago :( Nintendium isn't effective against thievery.
I'm about to get a new one and will be way more careful with it.

RedSwirl

At least try to see if it boots up after drying it. Past Nintendo hardware has a reputation for its reliability. There are well-documented cases of old Game Boys surviving washing machines. There's a reason they call it "Nintendium."

Chucker

It was in sleep mode unless the battery had died(Possible, it had been a while). Battery and SD card is out. Keeping it in rice for the foreseeable future.

The jokes are welcome, while it sucks hard I understand how stupid the situation is!

Edit: Worst case scenario I sell it on eBay as broke and recoup some of the loss.

Squozen

I'd say if you work hard at drying it out it'll probably be okay. There wasn't anything truly corrosive in the water (unlike dropping it in the ocean!). I've had headphones go through the wash and after drying them thoroughly they worked perfectly well.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
There's a slim chance it'll still work, but you should probably be prepared for the more likely scenario - a really pretty paperweight.

Your SD card may have survived, and Nintendo should be able to help you with an account transfer for any digital purchases you've made.

If the look of the system is important then I'd say there's no harm in asking Nintendo what they can do about swapping the shell. Alternately you could buy a 3DSXL and do it yourself, but that voids any warranty on the new unit.

As for other commenters in the thread - times like this it's nice to live in Australia. Plastic money laughs at washing machines.

dhonk

If the shell is in good condition, I think you could recoup some costs because of the limited edition design.

Anyway, theres a slim chance it can survive if it fully dries. Hopefully nothing shorted or corroded during the wash.

RedSwirl

Oh, and call Nintendo about transferring your purchases if you have to get another 3DS. You'll probably have to send them the old one if it's broken.

Almost the exact thing happened with my nieces DSi, didn't even try the rice trick, or even know about it actually, just left it on the kitchen table in a spot the sun shone brightly for a few days, not turning it on. After 3 or 4 days we gave it a shot, & were amazed to see it still worked.

You actually have to TRY to break Nintendo's hardware, they seem to always survive unbelievable accidents in my experience.

TomShoe

Banned
I say you should sell it on eBay to get some money back.

After that, file a police report for a stolen item, and then contact Nintendo so you can retrieve your 3DS purchases. Nintendo tends to be very strict on this sort of thing.

Top Bottom