• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody Talks In Titanfall

That damn Party Chat fix ruined the social aspect of XBL.

Party Chat ruined Xbox Live, again. :( I remember when everyone talked in public games at launch. :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
if had an agument break out in lobby due to one of our teammates getting screwed by the other, but yeah mostly silence. i prefer it that way

I wish titanfall had a battlelog type system, really disliked the console style lobby in the open beta. I couldn't type in text either, so is that in retail?

Haines

Banned
Nobody talks on xbone. Nobody.

I almost wanted to make the same thread.

Its almost shocking coming from cs where everyone talks in good ranks.

Also solo strange on a system that comes with a nice mic.

I miss the live launch days.

Amir0x

Banned
Party Chat is just returned, people probably using it en masse and ignoring the lobbies. I would probably be doing that too if I was playing titanfall heh

No one talks in online shooters anymore. Went outta style awhile ago.

Pretty much. No lie, I feel like since parties became a thing no one wants to deal with the potential BS of openly talking in a lobby anymore. Kinda sad cuz some of my favorite times was the insults hurled between teams those 20 seconds or so of post-match in Gears of War 2.

i talk. through mumble.

the last time i talked via titanfall was to mock this guy who said he was famous on youtube and was gonna hack our internet and we'd be lucky to even connect to anything.

it was great. :<

This isn't a new thing. I rarely hear anybody talk on most online multiplayer games as well. Except COD, people are pretty chatty in that game.

I have 3 mics I can use online, but I don't use them. I've only used a mic publicly online once, and it was the first day I got it. I just went on CODBO, and yelled "hadoken" and "shoryuken" everytime I got a kill. No reason for it, I was just bored since no one else had a mic. After the match was over I get 3 friend requests, all telling me I was funny or to challenge me in SF4. That was a good day.

Haven't used a mic on PSN since.

Amir0x

Banned
i talk. through mumble.

the last time i talked via titanfall was to mock this guy who said he was famous on youtube and was gonna hack our internet and we'd be lucky to even connect to anything.

it was great. :<

what did you say to mock him

he could have been preeeetty famous so inquiring minds want to know

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gotta get in those GAF OT and add people. I did this for KZ:SF and had a blast. Although I agree that the trash talking aspect of online is pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. I enjoyed it as long as it was in good taste and didn't involve a bunch of yelling or racism/homophobia.

Steel

Banned
Why on earth would you want a room of randoms to talk?

Well, it's easy to avoid assholes through party chat nowadays, but there used to be honest to goodness conversations and a nice atmosphere on XBL. You'd have people screaming at each other too, which is why party chat caught on. It's a bit of social laziness we've all fallen into(Including me, tbh).

JayEH

Yeah party chat killed chat in game which really sucks. I miss the old days of XBL, it was really easy to meet new people back then.

Amir0x

Banned

Just want to say that even though it's not the average experience, I absolutely do occasionally do it for simple reasons. I found literally four of my best Xbox Live gamer buddies through random lobbies, each of them incredibly skilled and just fun-loving guys who were equal to my laid back gaming temperament. They were not racists, they knew when to play serious and when to fuck off, they were funny and treated everyone fairly. Sometimes we'd be so in sync we knew when to try to help the other team improve and everything. We ended up spending thousands of hours gaming together, to the point we'd synchronize game purchases to do it. Just four random people... one from Alaska, one from Washington State, one from Pennsylvania (me) and one from Arizona (I think. And we picked up three other people who we'd rotate into our Left 4 Dead teams when someone was away. And we'd all hang out in party chat together. Two of them actually became members here - Ghetto Gamer and Greendomo's Ghost.

It's in vogue to try to dismiss everyone in Live and PSN as unwashed masses incapable of formulating sentences, but because in my experience it is perfectly possible to meet good people through the wonder of random lobbies, I'd say I would occasionally like to give it a shot, famous. You never know who you might meet.

I have noticed this, as well.

I usually start talking to encourage people and someone might reply or start talking about what points need back-up but then will quickly stop. I think part of the problem is the game's talking heads already give you the information you need without your teammates needing to tell you. Which, you know, is fine from a gameplay perspective, but it contributes to the non-talking thing.

I have found the community mostly terrible, though, so I am not sure I mind. Just wall-to-wall douchebags and assholes. I was playing a game with a friend and he told someone on our team not to gloat and the gloater went on this wild rant about how my friend is a pussy and this country would be better off without people like him. And that's not even much of an outlier in my experience so far.

Timu

When I play the X1 version there are many who talk in lobbies and even throughout the entire match.=O

I used to have nice chats with randoms during Socom 1/2. PSO. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (xbox, actual 1), and a few other games.

In the last couple generations. No. It's kids swearing who don't even understand the swears they are saying. Everything is "gay." Bitching about weapons. Whatever just killed you is totally OP, so bitch about it. Oh, that dude sounds like he may not be white, let's drop the n-word. Oh a girl. Go make me a sandwich. Some guys get into the team spirit with "Why do you faggots suck so much fucking cock we're gonna lose because you guys are jews." Which, weirdly, doesn't make sense, as Israel has a pretty fantastic army. And gay males giving fellatio to other males doesn't seem out of character.

My personal favorites, however, are:

1. The people who rap. The entire round. Freestyle. They are really talented.
2. The kid who doesn't mute as he argues with his mother about his bedtime.
3. The 20-something stoned out of his mind arguing with his girlfriend/wife.
4. The greatest of all public chat, the person yelling at their kid because they are interrupting their game.

So, again....

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Welcome to modern day matchmaking where a sense of community doesn't exist.

Top Bottom