• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

maxcriden

ChompRock-300x280.jpg

Invisible Gamer - A-

It’s impossible to deny that in many ways it’s just a re-skinned, re-tooled Yoshi’s Island… but Yoshi’s Island is one of the greatest platformers ever made, and if this is how Nintendo wants to re-introduce it, who am I to complain? It’s been a long, long time coming, but Yoshi’s New Island is every bit as good as the original. And now, a whole new generation of players will get to call it their own

Gaming-Universe - 8.5/10

A varied and well made level design with a complete focus on the player's drive to collect paired with the timeless gameplay of the SNES-hit can convince [the player of the quality of the game] effortlessly even today.

4Players - 85%

US Gamer - 4/5

No, Yoshi's New Island may not be the game we fans of the original want, but it's definitely the game its creators set out to make. And a lot of fun, too. It's hard to be cynical about that.

Joystiq - 4/5

Though it fails to elevate itself into the exalted ranks of the Very Best Mario Games, Yoshi's New Island is by no means a sub-standard experience. It's solid. Reliable. You come in expecting devious platforming levels that will test your gaming mettle, and that's exactly what you get. It's a bit by-the-numbers, but it hits those numbers very well. Plus, the noise Yoshi makes when he's sporting a pair of those Failure Wings is pretty much the cutest thing you'll ever hear while gaming, and a maybe a good enough reason to pick up Yoshi's New Island all by itself.

GameXplain - 4/5

http://youtu.be/HFNTivPnDMU

4News Italy - 8/10

Yoshi's New Island è l'ennesima conferma della naturale predisposizione di Nintendo verso il genere platform. Cercando di dimenticare Yoshi's Island DS, questo nuovo capitolo sembra davvero un degno erede dell'originale Yoshi's Island uscito per Super Nintendo Entertainment System più di 15 anni fa. Il suo gameplay, la realizzazione tecnica e la trama si ricollegano perfettamente al capostipide della serie, migliorandone alcuni aspetti e rendendo la sua esperienza portatile e giocabile ovunque!"

IGN - 7.9/10

Yoshi’s New Island’s inconsistent art and tacked-on new ideas are all layered on top of the same strong platforming and level design that made the original great. This deep understanding of pacing and flow helps Yoshi’s latest adventure stand out as the best iteration on Yoshi since the SNES original. Even if I wanted to play with the sound turned off.

GameTrailers - 7.8/10 (video review here)

Overall, Yoshi's New Island is a solid platformer, revisiting the original's distinctive gameplay with a wide range of fresh ideas. It just feels as if many of its elements never grow beyond the introduction phase, resulting in a romp that's varied and enjoyable, but never quite raises the stakes.

4Gamers (Dutch) - 76/100

Nintendo World Report EU - 7.5/10

It won't be up there with the best, but that doesn't mean you should skip out on these adorable dino friends.

Polygon - 7.5/10

Yoshi's New Island earns its place in a classic series. By the time I was done with Yoshi's New Island, I was mimicking the cutesy sound effects — they had so successfully wormed their way into my brain — and looking forward to the chance to perfect earlier stages. Yoshi's New Island won me over early, and it kept me going even when I started to suffer from a touch of platformer fatigue. Its sense of humor and experimental streak keep the game fresh throughout, and allow Yoshi to stand apart, even in a crowded season for Nintendo's core properties. There's always room for cute — especially when it's this smart.

Game Informer - 7/10

I’ve wanted a solid follow-up to Yoshi’s Island for years, and this game is the third in a trilogy of follow-ups that range from half-baked to decent. Considering how unimpressed and apathetic I was towards most of Yoshi’s New Island, it might be time to just be happy with my Super Nintendo memories when it comes to this series.

VG Network - 7/10

Nonostante quindi i livelli del capostipite per SNES e forse anche del comunque ottimo sequel su Nintendo DS siano lontani, Yoshi's New Island dimostra come Arzest in fondo ci sappia fare. Non ci troviamo davanti a un disastro, non ci troviamo di fronte a una pietra miliare del genere, ma sinceramente qualunque appassionato di platform potrebbe trovare almeno qualche ora di divertimento, 3DS o 2DS in mano, con questo titolo. Nel caso stiate cercando l'eccellenza, guardate pure altrove.

Nintendo Insider - 7/10

It is through a lack of surprise that Yoshi’s New Island disappoints, feeling more like a predictable paint by numbers than being full of the daring innovation that we have so readily seen in Nintendo’s recent output. That may stem from wanting to remain true to the original, but results in a half-baked experience that unfortunately never flutter-jumps enough to get off the ground for long enough to begin fulfilling its clear potential.

NTower.de - 7/10

Venture Beat - 7/10

As a whole, it’s not as good as the original game. It’s merely solid, and it is also evidence that Nintendo should probably stop trying to recapture the 19-year-old magic.

Journal du Gamer: 7/10 (they say the game is alright but it feels too safe and forgettable)

Nintendo Master: 7/10 (visually charming, but short and bland)

Gaming-Age - C+

By the end of the game I found Yoshi’s New Island to be a mixed bag. The parts where you’re actively playing the game and aren’t shoe-horned into silly gyroscope control gimmicks are legitimately fun. But most of the presentation surrounding that gameplay is bland, poorly executed, or downright bad. There’s enough merit to the stage designs and standard controls that make this something worth playing, but not in that must-have day one way that tends to mark a quality Nintendo release.

GameSided - 6.5/10

Ultimately, Yoshi’s New Island is your typical, run-of-the-mill platformer that offers nothing new to the player that we haven’t seen before. While there is the saying of don’t fix what isn’t broke, Yoshi’s New Island is a game that had a lot of potential, but just didn’t grab the attention of this reviewer as much as I would’ve hoped in the way of challenge and design.

Jeuxvideo.com: 13/20 (they say it's good to have Yoshi back, but the game is average at most and feels uninspired)

Escapist/Jim Sterling - 3/5

Yoshi's New Island is a solid little platformer, but it struggles to be much more than that. It will, at least, kill a few hours of time, even if that time will hardly be remembered afterwards.

Giant Bomb - 3/5

At its core, Yoshi's New Island is not a bad game. This is an acceptable, middle-of-the-road platformer, and one that I had an OK time with. But it's not particularly memorable until it's ready to say goodbye, and you're given a fleeting, tantalizing glimpse into the game that might have been.

Cubed3 - 6/10

Whilst not a travesty in the platform stakes, unfortunately Yoshi's New Island is rather bland and nowhere near the quality of Yoshi's Island on the SNES, and probably not even as interesting as the oft-criticised Yoshi's Island DS. Arzest - made up of ex-Artoon staff - seems to have taken the DS title, removed the difficulty and tacked on some rather average extras to create what is nothing more than a 'decent platform title' rather than a worthy successor to the old classic. All eyes are now on Good Feel to see how Yarn Yoshi turns out…

God is a Geek - 6/10

Nintendo are famous for reinventing the wheel with their games, and throwing new ideas into old series that should have long become tired and repetitive but, sadly, Yoshi’s New Island just isn’t one of these titles. It’s enjoyable enough and has its own sense of atmosphere as well as a few unique ideas, but overall this actually feels like one of the decent but highly-iterative sequels that Nintendo is usually unfairly criticized for making. It is still fun, though, and while it may not innovate or be a classic, its joyous aesthetic and “pick up and play” nature make it at the very least a good choice for getting through the daily commute.

Nintendo World Report - 6/10

Yoshi’s New Island looks great and plays like a Yoshi’s Island game, but that might not be enough for some people. The levels are bland, the bosses are blander, and the difficulty is too low and too static. It has bursts of creativity and maintains competency, but Yoshi’s Island deserves better than competency.

GameReactor Spain - 6/10

Nintendo-Online.de - 6/10

CVG - 6/10

It's just so disappointing to play a Nintendo game that doesn't have any magic to it. Instead of that fresh, original SNES game with that beautiful hand-drawn look all those years ago, Yoshi's New Island feels more like painting by numbers.

Dutch FOK!games - 6/10

Gamekult: 6/10 (their advice is to just wait for a used copy)

Nintendo Life - 5/10

The biggest problem with Yoshi’s New Island is that it feels stripped of the style, substance, and ingenuity that once made the series such treasured property. By watering down the game design and failing to incorporate new ideas that enhance the established mechanics in any meaningful way, you're left with an egg that's not necessarily bad, just dull and unimpressive. It’s completely functional and could serve as filler while waiting for the next big 3DS or Wii U release, but there’s little denying that it’s an underwhelming outing for Yoshi.

Gamespot - 5/10

Yoshi's New Island is a decent platformer, but it's also so forgettable that it won't leave you with any lasting memories.

Shack News - 5/10

The Yoshi's Island series is one of my favorite gaming series ever, which is why it's so painful to see Yoshi's New Island fall short in so many ways. It's not a bad game and certainly a serviceable one for younger audiences and new players. Unfortunately, for those that have followed Yoshi since his first starring role nearly 20 years ago, this game is a tremendous disappointment.

Edge - 4/10

No one part of Yoshi’s New Island is ruinous by itself, but the sum is so much less than the 20-year-old parts from which it’s cobbled together. No one deserves to be duped by the Crayola box art into expecting a true sequel to a childhood-gulping adventure, which is still counted among the most innovative 16bit games of the mid-’90s. Arzest has laid an egg here, but not of the golden variety.

Eurogamer - 4/10

But on a console that has recently hosted more than one unlikely comeback, Yoshi's New Island is the slightest return so far. If it were a toy, you'd make sure you kept the receipt.

Metro - 4/10

About as new as a fossilised dinosaur egg and just about as fast and exciting, this is a depressingly poor degradation of a once great original.

maxcriden

I hit submit a bit early and meant to hit "preview." A thousand pardons. I'll update in half an hour when the embargo is up.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Yeah, no way this game is a 4. Someone else reviewed it for the site I'm with, and I just don't see this score matching up with consensus based on his review.

Tizoc

Eh I already got it pre-ordered....I think, I'll need to ask my brother.
I'll play with it and if I end up not liking it I can trade it off. Though maybe my younger relatives will like it. I mean it's got that cuteness factor.

Mondy

Banned
Ohh dear. Suit up, this is gonna be good.

This is not going to help Nintendo's current public image at all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How is there going to be controversy when the game looks like shit and is reviewed like shit?

This might be the ONE time when everybody agrees.

braves01

Banned
I'm not too surprised with that number. I'm guessing the platforming will be serviceable, but disappointment with the art and music failing to conform to nostalgia will drag down scores.

Hopefully who ever composed this soundtrack doesn't take lead again or was just having a really really really bad day.

The music in this game is a prime example of something being kiddie vs appropriate for everyone. It's the equivalent of Toy Story vs Cars.

a 4/10 is about what I'd give Yoshi's Island DS, if this is the same team(except now the game is even uglier with gyro-control vehicle sections and somehow even worse music), this score makes sense.

This game will likely be an insult to those of us who played and loved the original. I wasn't too big on the DS one either, but I did get some enjoyment out of it. This one doesn't even seem that good from what I've seen.

4 implies there is something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Fine if there is, but they may just be punishing the game fir being a clone of itself . I.e. not enough differences to justify a sequel.

If they just released the original again it would probably get an 8.

Here's waiting on reviews although I'm not buying no matter what.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What I don't understand is why Nintendo gave this game to Azrest. A mediocre developer made a mediocre game, what did they expect?

Yoshi deserves the same treatment that Punch-Out, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX etc got. If you're trying to follow a classic give it to a studio that deserves it. Not the people who made Yoshi's Island DS.

4 implies there is something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Fine if there is, but they may just be punishing the game fir being a clone of itself . I.e. not enough differences to justify a sequel.

If they just released the original again it would probably get an 8.

Here's waiting on reviews although I'm not buying no matter what.

In Edge an average score is 5. A 4 suggests a below average game which matches up to the review text.

Davey Cakes

a 4/10 is about what I'd give Yoshi's Island DS, if this is the same team(except now the game is even uglier with gyro-control vehicle sections and somehow even worse music), this score makes sense.
4/10 for YIDS? Seems a bit harsh.

To me, YIDS was a 6/10 or 7/10. The problem with it wasn't that it was bad, but that it was unremarkable. Baby switching was annoying though.

The original game is instant classic 10/10 territory though so it'll be hard for anything to match up.

Roto13

To be fair, the first Yoshi's Island was pretty bad and you're all just obnoxiously nostalgic for it.

*leaves thread forever*

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How is there going to be controversy when the game looks like shit and is reviewed like shit?

This might be the ONE time when everybody agrees.
I doubt everybody will agree to Edge's score / review. Also, if it reviewed by shit probably is not known to anyone yet. I, for one, only know about my reviews and the Edge one, I pressume most people will only know the Edge score, and, if they have reviewed the game, their own / their colleagues' score and maybe the ones of a few friends.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What I don't understand is why Nintendo gave this game to Azrest. A mediocre developer made a mediocre game, what did they expect?

Yoshi deserves the same treatment that Punch-Out, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX etc got. If you're trying to follow a classic give it to a studio that deserves it. Not the people who made Yoshi's Island DS.

In Edge an average score is 5. A 4 suggests a below average game which matches up to the review text.

Maybe some other folks at Nintendo also realizes that the original Yoshi's Island wasn't that great of a game to begin with.

I'd argue this game got the treatment it deserved.

Wait, they farmed this out to a 3rd party?

Yes, production was contracted out to a new company called Arzest, formed from the ashes of Artoon (Nintendo's previous contractor for Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, now defunct). Nintendo's Kyoto teams (Takashi Tezuka is producing) were supposed to be supervising and helping out with this game, but it looks like they lost their golden touch...

Milennia

I know next to nothing about this game, outside of its art style that is.
Im not too impressed, hopefully these reviews will shed some light on the rest of the game for me.

zroid

Banned
oh boy.... the Nintendomination guy tweeted he would rate it a max of 50/100...

that paints as scathing a portrait as there can be, I think :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
max pls

no one not named Yoshi is looking forward to this game, there will be no controversy

Honestly, when I read the title I was expecting loads of 9s and 8s because that would be the only way to have some controversy. Especially if someone said "Looks better than the first Yoshi's Island".

Kariodude

Banned
It never looked very good so mid-grade reviews don't surprise me. On the other hand, the 3DS is doing fine so a bad game isn't as big of a deal as a bad Wii U game would be.

Top Bottom