• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone have experience in HR and or investigation / firing employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey hey, in a huge huge jam here. Neogaf is one of the most intelligent internet communities I know.

I'm willing to paypay you whatever wage you think is fair if you can just answer some urgent questions for me... or know off someone that can answer them tonight

Obivously based on the topic you can tell that I got carried away at work, but I think
If I work it out with someone I can prove there was no malicious intent.

Anyone up for it?

Hi NeoGAF, give me an intelligent answer about a body of knowledge that is heavily influenced by location and situation without giving you a lick of information about either.

explain the situation in detail.

can't go into too much detail on a public forum. that's why i'm also asking if you know of some service/ someone I can pay too get advice this late at night(need it for the morning)

I took and used customers content as a test data, and then actually put that test data into execution. Customer complained that the content was stolen.

There was an e-mail sent out not to use customers data, but it was one of those incredibly long e-mails with 50 bullet points from a year back when you get 80 mails a day.

The problem is I also have no proof(besides the fact I told my co-workers that I was publishing test data) that I wasn't trying to use the customer data to make a profit for myself(I hadn't made any yet and it would not have been that much). There also is the problem that my division is the one that protects customer data against being stolen.

can't go into too much detail on a public forum. that's why i'm also asking if you know of some service/ someone I can pay too get advice this late at night(need it for the morning)

I took and used customers content as a test data, and then actually put that test data into execution. Customer complained that the content was stolen.

There was an e-mail sent out not to use customers data, but it was one of those incredibly long e-mails with 50 bullet points from a year back when you get 80 mails a day.

The problem is I also have no proof(besides the fact I told my co-workers that I was publishing test books) that I wasn't trying to use the customer data to make a profit for myself(I hadn't made any yet and it would not have been that much). There also is the problem that my divison is the one that protects customer data against being stolen.

Sigh, my advice is to go get a lawyer, OP. SMFH.... can't believe you are asking Gaf for legality advice.
Don't go into work. Go get a lawyer, ASAP. First thing in the morning.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I am an HR expert, not even kidding, and my advice to you is to CALL AND RETAIN A LAWYER and do not talk about this to anybody else. From what I have heard, you are in the wrong.

And your company will not hesitate to throw you under the bus.

The problem is I also have no proof(besides the fact I told my co-workers that I was publishing test data) that I wasn't trying to use the customer data to make a profit for myself(I hadn't made any yet and it would not have been that much). There also is the problem that my division is the one that protects customer data against being stolen.
Your only proof that your intentions were honorable is that you told your co-workers they were, despite the fact that they weren't?

Sigh, my advice is to go get a lawyer, OP. SMFH.... can't believe you are asking Gaf for legality advice.

I'm not afraid of any legal action, there is nothing I've done illegal(didn't withdraw any money, wasn't even a bank account set up on the account, account was made using work address) if you think a lawyer would help, do they exist at this time of night?

I'm wondering how to prove to the higher-ups that there wasn't malicious intent

I am an HR expert, not even kidding, and my advice to you is to CALL AND RETAIN A LAWYER and do not talk about this to anybody else. From what I have heard, you are in the wrong.

And your company will not hesitate to throw you under the bus.
Also: pay a mod to delete this thread. Especially if you've ever accessed NeoGAF from work.

So you took proprietary data from a client and published it?

And your job is to prevent data theft from your clients?

And you asked an internet gaming forum for advice?

9.5/10 keep up the good work bro

Salamando

You took customer data and used it in a way they didn't approve of and they found out. I don't think your intent matters for anything here.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The lawyer is for you to use in the event that you want to fight the firing you are on track to receive. You don't want to be some labor board hack's 45th case of the month.

Why do you feel this matters? If you broke the rules, you broke the rules.

If you're not worried about an legal problems, just start looking for a new job tomorrow. It sounds like you stand zero chance of getting your job back based on what it apparently was and what you did.

Also: pay a mod to delete this thread. Especially if you've ever accessed NeoGAF from work.

I'm going to predict this thread doesn't last much longer.

terrisus

Why do you feel this matters? If you broke the rules, you broke the rules.

If you're not worried about an legal problems, just start looking for a new job tomorrow. It sounds like you stand zero chance of getting your job back based on what it apparently was and what you did.

Got this job through sheer luck, well it might serve as a good life lesson to be a minimum wage worker for the rest of my days.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Also for the love of God don't put anything about this in writing to your bosses or HR. If you do, you will be seeing it again in the future while your potential lawyer pulls his hair out.

I'm not afraid of any legal action, there is nothing I've done illegal(didn't withdraw any money, wasn't even a bank account set up on the account, account was made using work address) if you think a lawyer would help, do they exist at this time of night?

Think about this from the higher-ups' point of view:

They assured the client that their content was safe with their company. They oversee the very department that assure such content's safety. Someone, namely you, broke the trust they established with the client despite you knowing the purpose of your department and you're going to blame it on not reading an email that lays out exactly what the purpose of your job is? And there's a chance that your activities could have generated money into an account that you controlled?

Dude, you should be afraid about legal action. Depending on the type of "content," very afraid.

I want to ask you so much more about this, but I know it'll only dig your hole deeper.

OP, absolutely should be afraid of legal action. Not by the client, but by his employer. If this client was in any way important or ready and willing to persue legal action, then you can bet that you'll not only get terminated, you'll be getting a call from their lawyer soon.

I work in corporate security, OP. Trust me. We don't fuck around.

OP, absolutely should be afraid of legal action. Not by the client, but by his employer. If this client was in any way important or ready and willing to persue legal action, then you can bet that you'll not onoy get terminated, you'll be getting a call from their lawyer soon.

I work in corporate security, OP. Trust me. We don't fuck around.

One thing I should point out this was public open source data, only the formatting was different(which probably still gives it a new copyright)

ronito

BaJtr.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

First I want you to find a bottle of whiskey. Then I want you to drink it. All of it. Finally get a lawyer.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm suspended with pay(when I ask about boxing my stuff up, they told me I could leave my things at the office), while they investigate.

Honestly, the lawyer idea is sounding pretty good at this point. Your wording of 'didn't do it for profit, but I wouldn't have made much anyway' sounds a little bit like an admission of intent (the idea of profiting at least crossed your mind, regardless of whether you profited or not). I'm not an attorney, but it certainly sounds like saving your job is not going to be your primary goal - it's avoiding a lawsuit from your employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom