• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC: New tools and middleware coming to PS4 (Unity, GameMaker:Studio and MonoGame)

Loudninja

Happy GDC! Today we’re announcing that we will continue to strengthen our support for the global independent developer community by introducing more tools and middleware solutions for PS4.

SCE has entered into strategic partnerships to bring new native solutions from popular middleware vendors GameMaker:Studio and MonoGame to PS4, further expanding an already robust set of development tools. We’re also announcing that fully integrated solutions for Unity are now available for PS3 and PS Vita, with the highly anticipated early access version for PS4 coming in April 2014. Unity, GameMaker:Studio and MonoGame represent the most popular game development tools leveraged by universities and independent developers alike, and are used for both prototyping and full-scale game development.

Jointly developed by SCE and YoYo Games, a GameMaker:Studio-native solution for PS4 is now available free for all SCE-licensed developers, making it even easier for developers to bring their 2D games to the more than 6 million global PS4 owners. Developers of beloved games like Hyper Light Drifter by Heart Machine, Samurai Gunn by Teknopants, Risk of Rain by Hopoo Games, Home by Benjamin Rivers and Nuclear Throne by Vlambeer are now able to more efficiently convert their titles from PC to PS4 as of a result of GameMaker:Studio’s native export capabilities.

MonoGame makes up the C#-based open-sourced engine suite available for licensed developers, and was first used in the development of Matt Makes Games‘ acclaimed Towerfall: Ascension for PS4. In the coming months, MonoGame will also help bring Mercenary Kings (Tribute Games) and Transistor (Supergiant Games) to PS4.

We’re also announcing the release of SCE’s powerful game development tool Authoring Tools Framework as a free, open source download from the popular GitHub hosting site. SCE’s ATF is widely used within SCE to develop PS3, PS4, PS Vita and PSP titles such as The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

Today’s newly announced middleware solutions will join ATF and SCE’s graphics-rendering engine PhyreEngine. SCE-sponsored development tools are available for all licensed developer partners.

SCE continues to set a high benchmark across the industry for working with developers worldwide to bring the world’s greatest and most innovative games to PlayStation platforms, including improved processes, flexible policies and extensive resource support. With more than 100 games in development for PS4 from independent developers and more than 1,000 licensed self-publishers, PS4 will continue to be the most appealing platform for both developers and gamers.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/19/gdc-new-tools-middleware-coming-ps4/

Hoo-doo

Banned
You can never have too many developers working on games for your platform.

Good that Sony is doing everything in their power to make their work as streamlined as possible all so we get better games in the end.

GulAtiCa

Was kinda hoping for free Unity. But, still cool. Anything that helps out indies is better.

Wish they also do a HTML5 development option too. As that would directly help me. :p

Hmm, so basically as of right now:

Unity : not free.
PhyreEngine : free for Playstation. License fees applicable to other consoles.
GameMaker Studio : free.
MonoGame : open-source, free.
ATF tools : open-source, free.

jaypah

You can never have too many developers working on games for your platform.

Good that Sony is doing everything in their power to make their work as streamlined as possible all so we get better games in the end.

Yup, games are games. I'll try anything that looks cool. I say keep em coming!

Damaniel

Banned
As someone who considers GameMaker to be a fine prototyping tool, but off-limits for serious work, announcements like this -- along with the constant stream of quality GameMaker games that demonstrate the viability of the tool for 'real' game development -- are changing my mind quickly.

(The coder in me still wants to do the work in a standard development language, but my big pile of unfinished projects attests to the futility of that. Maybe I should just give in and go with GameMaker in the understanding that if I ever make something that isn't pure crap that I'll be able to deploy it just about everywhere without having to rewrite it from scratch anyway...)

EDIT: The MonoGame announcement is interesting, too. I was quite the fan of XNA back in the day, and even went so far as to write a simple game using it. I tried building it in MonoGame a few months back, and everything worked out of the box with no tweaks. If anything, a port of MonoGame should allow easier ports of existing XNA stuff for those who want to go down that route. I'm not sure I'd start doing new development with it though...

Chindogg

This is great but I'm honestly surprised they're not more open than Nintendo is at this point. It's not like they couldn't go as far.

GulAtiCa

They seem pretty open to me.

How open is Nintendo?

Maybe he/she means in terms free Unity? They also have HTML5 development as well, which opens up several more game maker editors, like Construct 2, etc. My guess on what he/she meant anyways.

Edit: Beaten.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is great but I'm honestly surprised they're not more open than Nintendo is at this point. It's not like they couldn't go as far.

Actually Nintendo is pretty open about their system, provided you are not located in Japan, and talking with some Wii U devs, they still have the lowest barrier of entry with things like free Unity, free HTML 5 and even free loaner dev kits.

Damaniel

Banned

About the only way they could go more open is to do what Microsoft did with the 360 and let pretty much anyone (not just registered developers) deploy to the console. They've already open sourced a few of their tools, and they're bending over backwards to get support for every major game development framework on their platforms. Also, it sounds like if you have a decent idea (and some basic work to show Sony), they'll go out of their way to get you the hardware and software you need.

(Admittedly, Nintendo has made great strides here as well. At least you don't need an office to be considered a 'real developer' by Nintendo anymore.)

So glad to see Monogame gaining more ground. I hope it surpasses XNA in every respect once it's more widely adopted, and also that it allows the many, many developers who put in the time to learn and master XNA to use those skills.

Loudninja

Actually Nintendo is pretty open about their system, provided you are not located in Japan, and talking with some Wii U devs, they still have the lowest barrier of entry with things like free Unity, free HTML 5 and even free loaner dev kits.
Ohh that sounds nice.

Blizzard

Banned
Yep, in the U.S. getting into the program and getting a free loaner devkit was super easy. I'm a software developer but I'd never even sold a game before, and didn't have a dedicated office, but it wasn't an issue.

Past

Good. Now they should make it open platform and let anyone develop games for it. Like the 360 with the indie market.

Phatmac

They should hopefully open up game development for the PS4. Being open and willing to support indie devs seems like a great thing.

Geez, it seems that every day we hear about a new game coming to PS4/PS3/Vita. With this stuff, we might get multiple announcements per day!

Top Bottom