• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd asks for your opinion and announces Cthulhu Saves the World All-Stars

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Update 2: Idea apparently got set aside in favor of developing Cosmic Star Heroine (according to GAF member nampad):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/30/retro-sci-fi-rpg-cosmic-star-heroine-revealed-at-pax/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update: Bomb dropped
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54592170&postcount=140
Random thought...

Cthulhu Saves the World All-Stars
PC, PSN (definitely Vita, probably PS3/Vita cross-buy)
$10
Includes remakes of Breath of Death VII & Cthulhu Saves the World
Remakes would have visuals on par with Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4.
Gameplay would be rebalanced & would include some of the stuff we've added in the PA series.
Would also include two new "games" - Breath of Death XIII-2: Undead in Time and Cthulhu Saves the Galaxy.
Breath of Death XIII-2 would be inspired by Space Quest IV. i.e. you'd travel to other "installments" of the Breath of Death series.
Cthulhu Saves the Galaxy would be a direct sequel to CSTW.
BoDXIII-2 & CSTW would probably be about as long as BoDVII each. Maybe a little longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original post:

“It took less than an hour to rebuild the Breath of Death cave in Rainslick4. To do so I simply took tiles I had from another cave dungeon, as well as some from Cthulhu Saves the World. After tweaking the hue and adding some detail and touchups, I was able to rebuild Breath7′s first dungeon in the quality of Rainslick4 in less than an hour.”

Of course, this got us to thinking, it might be fun (and not too difficult) to do remakes of Breath of Death VII & Cthulhu Saves the World for the Vita as a learning experience in working with the Vita hardware. Obviously the visuals would be revamped, but we’d probably also add some new content as well. What do you think?

- New graphics
- Fantastic Games on OLED
- 2 more inexpensive RPG's on the Vita store
- PSN (+trophies) , NOT PSMobile
- New Content
- The release date of their newest game is pushed back a bit
- Exercise for the new platform and the "big" release of their newest game

VS

- Their newest game releases (estimated) 3-6 months earlier (which is also on Vita)

Screenshots of the current version:
537654-cthulhu-saves-the-world-windows-screenshot-the-great-cthulhu.jpg

4.png

Comparison shot (not the actual remake yet):
Q5CrB9M.png

kp5iFwV.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Personally, I'd like to hear whether they already have an estimate how much that would throw them back for their new game. Its probably a difference for some people if this means only pushing it back 1-3 months or if that would delay their newest game by a year.

Paskil

So long as you're making decent RPG's, I'll buy them regardless if theu're the original or new. I haven't played his older games, so I'm down for whatever.

ReaperXL7

if they released all three games I would buy them all, again in the case of the first two. So personally I would not mind so much considering how little time it seems to take to do, so I could not see it pushing back the third game by much.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm a patient man. I can wait.

Also, wondering why you didn't post those comparison shots. Night and day.

Oh, and your link doesn't work.

Toma

Most people don't have a PSV so the earlier new game option will win.

I dont think they necessarily target non-PSN players with this question as explained in the OP.

Why not release the new game first then the older two when you have more time to devote.

They are considering it as an exercise to get used to a new development platform to create the best possible version of their "big" new release.

Just give me Rainslick 4 soon, you handsome bastards.

New game >> Remake, even if it would be released in PC too. I love Zeboyd's games so it would be cool to let more people enjoy them, but if they're going to release Rainslick 4 there anyways just do it, test the waters and if the market's there consider the port.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I have this game. It was super short but I really liked it. Would probably support if I had a Vita.

Even trough i dont own a Vita and i want to play the new Rainslick 4 i want Zeboyd to make Cthulhu for the Vita. Everyone deserves to play Cthulhu saves the World.

Toma

Yeah, that's your interpretation.

Sure it is. And? They mentioned before that they are considering this option but were unsure due to commercial viability. So it would make sense to inquire about that mainly for the PSN target audience, right?

demidar

I dont think they necessarily target non-PSN players with this question as explained in the OP.

But this question affects non-PSN players as well, unless this is only affecting the PSN version of the game and other platforms are released on schedule.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think the Vita version needs new graphics or content. It's not like a significant number of people are going to rebuy the game again unless they haven't played it already.

edit: it does look like a significant improvement though which would make it sell better on Vita I guess (no idea what the untapped market is for that type of game vs pc which has a huge install base)

Toma

But this question affects non-PSN players as well, unless this is only affecting the PSN version of the game and other platforms are released on schedule.

True, it affects everyone, but its something they wouldnt even need to ask about.

Asking "Hey, should we delay our newest game for remakes on a platform you dont own?" will understandably always result in negative answers. I dont see the point in asking that. Which implies to me that they are asking the actual target audience for a release.

Personally, I'd like to hear whether they already have an estimate how much that would throw them back for their new game. Its probably a difference for some people if this means only pushing it back 1-3 months or if that would delay their newest game by a year.

We literally first discussed this idea today but my guess would be that it would push the new game's release like 3-6 months (less if we just did BoDVII of course). Keep in mind that we'd be using the remakes to build and test out the engine for the new game as well so development on the remakes would double as preproduction on the new game.

Bazza

I own the PC versions but I will buy them on Vita, as the newest game is being released on vita anyway I would prefer they get some practice beforehand.

Edit: after seeing those comparisons I definitely wanna see remakes.

Bring it on! I own both on the PC and never played them, but would gladly buy them again to actually play them on the Vita.

It's a tough decision for them though. In the end as long as a Zeboyd game ends up on the Vita I am happy, but would like to have these on the Vita as well.

Even trough i dont own a Vita and i want to play the new Rainslick 4 i want Zeboyd to make Cthulhu for the Vita. Everyone deserves to play Cthulhu saves the World.

They can, the games are dirt-cheap on Steam.

Sure it is. And? They mentioned before that they are considering this option but were unsure due to commercial viability. So it would make sense to inquire about that mainly for the PSN target audience, right?

No, I just find it funny how you're trying to not so subtly keep the fanbase that already exists from commenting on this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
new stuff, even if I had a vita

old games are perfectly fine and dont need any touch ups
Not in my case, at least. I never bought the XBLIG versions because of their aesthetic. I own them on Steam, but me playing a PC game instead of keeping it on a dusty digital shelf is a laughable pipe dream (sorry every Humble Bundle and sub-5$ game I've purchased - I'm sure you were great) .

The new tilesets are enough to get me excited. Massive improvement.

Toma

They can, the games are dirt-cheap on Steam.

No, I just find it funny how you're trying to not so subtly keep the fanbase that already exists from commenting on this.

Sure, I am not so subtly influencing this discussion into a direction which makes sense. Why would ANYONE not owning a Vita say "Sure! Go ahead!"? Considering the large fanbase these games already have, this thread would (and I still expect it to) drown in "NOOOOOOOO, JUST NEW GAME. WHO NEEDS VITA PORTS!!??!?!" comments.

Which is super pointless and suffocates the discussion that is actually important here.

demidar

True, it affects everyone, but its something they wouldnt even need to ask about.

Asking "Hey, should we delay our newest game for remakes on a platform you dont own?" will understandably always result in negative answers. I dont see the point in asking that. Which implies to me that they are asking the actual target audience for a release.

I dunno, even if I had a Vita I don't think I would buy the remakes, unless they overhauled the combat (which I guess they would since it's using the RS4 engine).

Honestly it's up to Zeboyd and if they're hurting for cash they should release the new game pronto then do the remakes after to entice players on the fence.

i don't get what the big deal is. i thought these games weren't that long, and it only took an hour to put that one updated dungeon together.

Zeboyd making its Vita debut faster and getting experience working on the platform before tackling the new game sounds good to me. I'd certainly buy the remakes.

We literally first discussed this idea today but my guess would be that it would push the new game's release like 3-6 months (less if we just did BoDVII of course). Keep in mind that we'd be using the remakes to build and test out the engine for the new game as well so development on the remakes would double as preproduction on the new game.

This sounds reasonable. One possibility you could get out of this is building a user base through these titles that would then carry over to the newest title. Work up some Plus magic and it could be very beneficial I think.

Toma

I dunno, even if I had a Vita I don't think I would buy the remakes, unless they overhauled the combat (which I guess they would since it's using the RS4 engine).

Honestly it's up to Zeboyd and if they're hurting for cash they should release the new game pronto then do the remakes after to entice players on the fence.

Yeah, I can see that reasoning. I will buy the games just to support their decision to go with Vita remakes, but I might not "replay" the first one because I already played it, even with new graphics. I definitely see how that might influence someone to want the new game instead.

Although, actually it probably would depend on the new content for the games.

Top Bottom