• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is 100 hours long

Go_Ly_Dow

Final-Fantasy-VII-Rebirth-Dynamic-Mode-1024x576.jpg

That was taken from a developer interview for Rebirth a couple months back. It'll be available day one instead of having to beat it first. More info here.
Dynamic for me. I'm curious if it'll be like FF8 or a new take on enemy scaling. Hopefully something more in depth than that.

Is anybody else concerned about the short development time? Rebirth will have less than 4 years of development, and that is including at least 6 months where Covid stopped everything, especially in Japan. I'm concerned there is going to be a lot of copy and pasted parts. Hope I'm wrong

It's anyone's guess on how many assets will be reused, I already spotted a blue Shinra pickup truck in the GameInformer article, so that's one for sure lol.

However, I do hope that if assets are reused, that the devs at least rework some of the textures, I am currently building some mods for the PC version, and some of the textures applied to models are hilariously low, even on things that are close to the player/camera.

Go_Ly_Dow

Is anybody else concerned about the short development time? Rebirth will have less than 4 years of development, and that is including at least 6 months where Covid stopped everything, especially in Japan. I'm concerned there is going to be a lot of copy and pasted parts. Hope I'm wrong
Rebirth began development before part 1 launched. There was a quote I recall reading in Nov 2019 saying work was already underway on the next installment, aka Rebirth. The planning was probably done before 2019 and pre-production started in 2019 at a guess.

Also for part 1 they had to build everything from scratch, including learning and customising UE4. Build the gameplay systems, animations, models, assets etc... Create a development team and hire outsourcing studios to handle the grunt work. For Rebirth they already had these steps completed which will save them a ton of dev time and allow them to hit the ground running. There's a Nomura or Hamaguchi quote out there from when the game was revealed in June 2022 saying its the smoothest development they've ever experienced or something like that. Also saying the final part was also underway in 2022.

Crayon

Final-Fantasy-VII-Rebirth-Dynamic-Mode-1024x576.jpg

That was taken from a developer interview for Rebirth a couple months back. It'll be available day one instead of having to beat it first. More info here.

Usually I hate level scaling in an rpg, but I appreciated the first one more as some kind of tactical action game than an rpg so this is worth considering for me. This one might feel more like a real rpg being larger and more open, though.

One of my main problem with super lengthy games is most people equate length with with quality and value. Most of the time really long games can start to feel repetitive and wear out their welcome imo. Sure, a good story and of course good gameplay can keep things interesting, but that isn’t always present in a healthy amount of modern games.

tylrdiablos

The upcoming Steam sales might be when I (finally) buy FFVII Remake Intergrade.
By the time I get through that and then Rebirth, the third (final?) game will be nearing.

One of my main problem with super lengthy games is most people equate length with with quality and value. Most of the time really long games can start to feel repetitive and wear out their welcome imo. Sure, a good story and of course good gameplay can keep things interesting, but that isn’t always present in a healthy amount of modern games.

It's because people got into the mindset of hours per dollar. Oblivion and Skyrim really set this metric, and it justified purchase of the game at full price and then all the DLC. But I see it as a lot of wasted time. Give me a shorter, tight, well paced game instead and I will go back to re-experience it years later. That doubles the playtime alone, just not all at once the first time. I know not everyone replays games, but maybe more would if it was paced well like Half-Life or RE4.

RhyDin

What was the point in making the games standalone with progression from the previous game not carrying over? Surely it would only take a little bit of math to scale up or down the enemies as necessary based on the previous save and then if you don't have a save just start at whichever level they deem necessary.

Really disappointed in this decision.

Go_Ly_Dow

What was the point in making the games standalone with progression from the previous game not carrying over? Surely it would only take a little bit of math to scale up or down the enemies as necessary based on the previous save and then if you don't have a save just start at whichever level they deem necessary.

I suspect it'll feel similar to GOW2018 > GOW Ragnarock. You start again at level 1-3, but the base combat system will have new combos, team attacks, special attacks etc... so that it all feels fresh and like the characters have progressed. I believe there's a new ability system too they've mentioned. I think with materia though you'll begin with barebones and they'll utlilise the plot point from the original game of Yuffie stealing your materia. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Money.

Hudo

100 hours is pretty short. That's like 1 evening.

I miss the days when devs were not lazy and made 1000 hour RPGs.

RhyDin

How do you mean? The way I see it, you start new players without a pre-existing save at level 30 flat.

Old players with a save, you import their save data and the first game capped you at level 30.

I'm halfway through the first game in the remake and I'm already level 30. Don't really see the point in finishing all the sidequests and stuff knowing none of my effort is going to carry over. Kind of lost a little interest in the remakes now, if I'm going to be honest.

How do you mean? The way I see it, you start new players without a pre-existing save at level 30 flat.

Old players with a save, you import their save data and the first game capped you at level 30.

I'm halfway through the first game in the remake and I'm already level 30. Don't really see the point in finishing all the sidequests and stuff knowing none of my effort is going to carry over. Kind of lost a little interest in the remakes now, if I'm going to be honest.
Totally misread your initial question, lol sorry.

I think it would be very hard for them to have progress carry over considering how it's designed, further I think they don't want to alienate people jumping in at random parts (like 2) and not playing the first.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
100 with side missions makes sense, 40 hours without makes sense you’re going to see a lot of people play or skip the side missions. Final fantasy 7 remake allowed people into the franchise, this is a franchise that has 20+ games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

This in and of itself would create its own pipeline of issues as far as series norms and progression are concerned, though. It would require either a complete revamp to the magic tier system (one of the few gameplay elements that's been largely uniform between titles) or revamp the progression of FFVIIR from the ground up.

If you're able to both
A. Acquire multiple Summons, weapons and abilities far ahead of their place in the original PS1 title

B. And use level 3 -aga spells by essentially the fifth hour of the original, what is there for the next two titles?

Frankly, starting over sounds much less tedious to me than stagnating for two titles, excited only for new Summons and synergy moves.

That’s fine and all but what will be actually doing for 100 hours? If it’s just shitty fetch quests and cat wrangling I’m not interested.

Go_Ly_Dow

Last edited:

RhyDin

This in and of itself would create its own pipeline of issues as far as series norms and progression are concerned, though. It would require either a complete revamp to the magic tier system (one of the few gameplay elements that's been largely uniform between titles) or revamp the progression of FFVIIR from the ground up.

If you're able to both
A. Acquire multiple Summons, weapons and abilities far ahead of their place in the original PS1 title

B. And use level 3 -aga spells by essentially the fifth hour of the original, what is there for the next two titles?

Frankly, starting over sounds much less tedious to me than stagnating for two titles, excited only for new Summons and synergy moves.
Ah, your latter point especially is a very good one..I didn't really take that into account. Makes me a little sad, but I guess it is what it is.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ah, your latter point especially is a very good one..I didn't really take that into account. Makes me a little sad, but I guess it is what it is.

Yeah, I feel like even elements of the game like this wouldn't sting so much for those invested if Square had accurately communicated just what exactly the remake project was going to be, in "I eat playdough," levels of simple. I don't know if it was a language barrier thing, they themselves not quite knowing yet, or something else entirely. However, "episodic," was about as broad of a description for something elevated so highly in the anticipation sphere.

It allowed every bit of speculation from a connected progression a la Mass Effect, to each title being independent, to some even thinking it was gonna be an actual episodic, periodically released DLC deal. I was never one of the ones jumping in front of traffic because they felt it was false advertising not slapping PART ONE on the game case of Remake in fourteen spots, but the kind of clunky, JJ Abrams mystery box shit of the early to mid prerelease cycle I can critique until I'm blue in the face.

Unbelievable, the only time I've finished a final fantasy game post PS2 was a remake. Tell me Gaf, should I suffer through the FFXIII trilogy? I'm trying to do a completion run.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Unbelievable, the only time I've finished a final fantasy game post PS2 was a remake. Tell me Gaf, should I suffer through the FFXIII trilogy? I'm trying to do a completion run.

Opinions will differ from person to person. It's generally accepted that Final Fantasy XIII is poorly regarded for it's development, design, and story but highly regarded for it's music and visuals.

General opinion seems to be that XIII-2 is a much better game in regards to basically every common complaint for XIII, but as a result, doesn't really feel as cohesive with it's predecessor as you'd want. The reason for the game existing Canon wise is also clunky and screams money over vision.

Lightning Returns isn't really regarded at all, ROFL. It lost it's critical panning appeal by that point. People who do write about it say it has mountains of quests with mundane objectives and forgettable stories with horrible voice work and the main story is batshit.

My personal opinion would be Lightning Returns is the best, and XIII and XIII-2 change in my ranking of second place as my current moods and tastes dictate.

As a series fan, I'd say it's worth it to at least experience them, just be aware of the stock issues mentioned all over the internet and you'll find a restrictive but pretty series with some inventive lore presented with basic with anime trope storytelling. It's a lot of good doing it's absolute best to dress up as utter shit.

-Zelda-

Banned
I am of the rare unpopular opinion that Final Fantasy 13 is in my top three. I REALLY like that it cut all the fat so to speak from what I call unnessesary gameplay features such as too many mini games, or forcing some mini games into the main game like card games, snowboarding and underwater sports. I am possibly irrationally hoping against hope for a PS5 trilogy release in the very near future. On Switch also.

Opinions will differ from person to person. It's generally accepted that Final Fantasy XIII is poorly regarded for it's development, design, and story but highly regarded for it's music and visuals.

General opinion seems to be that XIII-2 is a much better game in regards to basically every common complaint for XIII, but as a result, doesn't really feel as cohesive with it's predecessor as you'd want. The reason for the game existing Canon wise is also clunky and screams money over vision.

Lightning Returns isn't really regarded at all, ROFL. It lost it's critical panning appeal by that point. People who do write about it say it has mountains of quests with mundane objectives and forgettable stories with horrible voice work and the main story is batshit.

My personal opinion would be Lightning Returns is the best, and XIII and XIII-2 change in my ranking of second place as my current moods and tastes dictate.

As a series fan, I'd say it's worth it to at least experience them, just be aware of the stock issues mentioned all over the internet and you'll find a restrictive but pretty series with some inventive lore presented with basic with anime trope storytelling. It's a lot of good doing it's absolute best to dress up as utter shit.
I figured that since the got the ball running the final trilogy would be the more polished game overall. That's fine by me, thanks for the explanation!

Regginator

I'm not really a Final Fantasy fan, so I'm the last guy they should listen to, but I did play some of the original and I've also completed FF7 Remake. My main takeaway: it's absolutely insane how they've managed to make the first 3 or 4 hours of the original into a modern 30 to 40 hour game. And I don't mean insane in a good way. The remake has some utterly horrendous pacing, and some of the most mind-numbing side quests of any RPG I've ever played. Its only saving grace for me, aside from the great visuals, was the phenomenal combat. One of the very best systems I've ever played, which is why I even finished the damn game. Can't wait for Rebirth to hit PS+ game catalogue to go through the main story, but y'all can keep that extra "content".

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm not really a Final Fantasy fan, so I'm the last guy they should listen to, but I did play some of the original and I've also completed FF7 Remake. My main takeaway: it's absolutely insane how they've managed to make the first 3 or 4 hours of the original into a modern 30 to 40 hour game. And I don't mean insane in a good way. The remake has some utterly horrendous pacing, and some of the most mind-numbing side quests of any RPG I've ever played. Its only saving grace for me, aside from the great visuals, was the phenomenal combat. One of the very best systems I've ever played, which is why I even finished the damn game. Can't wait for Rebirth to hit PS+ game catalogue to go through the main story, but y'all can keep that extra "content".
They fucked up big time when they decided to cover Midgar only and make it like a full blown modern RPG.
You just cant do both together without making it shit.

They're lucky there's enough young people with little to no appreciation for their time.

Top Bottom