• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is 100 hours long

kiphalfton

This is Disc 2. We won't be inside tunnel-corridor syndrome that is Midgar.

The missions will suck regardless of where it's at.

That is every open world game in a nutshell.

Devs know they can throw in a hundred hours of copy/pasted garbage and people will lap it up.

Even the best open world games have crappy side quests, so I'm not holding my breath this will somehow be the exception.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
rJAE6on.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
cant wait for this game : )
Cloudrith lets go

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Hope the side content is worth it then.
As long as we get at least 3-4 S-tier side quests (think Witcher 3's Bloody Baron quest) then I'll be satisfied. One of FF16's main problems was that most of the side quests were basically fetch quests and bounty hunts.

As for the other side content it'll probably be quirky mini games, races and stuff like fishing/hunting

Dynasty8

Any news about if they'll let players choose hard mode from the start.

It's annoying Square Enix does this.

And as the release date is close, I'll probably get started on part 1 in January.

Yeah, very annoying of them. FFXVI was so forgiving and easy that it became really boring for me.

Thankfully FFVII: Rebirth will have a difficulty option from the start called "Dynamic". As far as I know, it's level scaling. I am okay with that...Square needs to get their shit together with challenging players. Even Octopath 2 was significantly easier than part 1.

Killjoy-NL

40 hours for just the main storyline is pretty damn long, too... though not necessarily crazy. Hopefully it's not just a bunch of needless padding.
Don't forget that with modern day cutscenes and voice-acting, the game's length will automatically be padded compared to the original.

When it was just text, you'd go through conversations way more quickly.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The way hard mode is done in FFVIIRemake, I dont think you can do it from get go. In hard mode you cant use items and you dont recover MP until end of the each chapter.

Unless you know how each chapter's end boss going to be, it gonna frustrate the crap out of you. Some chapters you do multiple boss fights and if end up using most of your MP on a boss that you think end of chapter boss but turns out you are facing another one then you have no MP face another boss fight.

Yeah I would say fresh Hard mode is impossible in FFVII R. You do need soul siphon, certain builds, maxed Prayer, Chakra etc. The mode is obviiously tailored to level 50. If you go in lower, you'll hit this level in minutes anyway. And even on level 50 with maxed out weapons and slots its still not all that easy. I liked having to manage my resources and be kind of forced to use materia I would never slot otherwise. Though the boss marathon near the final chapter was sort of pushing it.

DonJimbo

I hope Square Enix releases one day a complete Edition of the Remake or should i buy now the first and second part and then when the third part releases

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope Square Enix releases one day a complete Edition of the Remake or should i buy now the first and second part and then when the third part releases
If you are waiting for all three parts for "complete edition" before you buy then you are waiting for loooooooooooong time, I hope you wont get spoiled while waiting.

I have a feeling they will

81EAOvueV6L.jpg

If you are waiting for all three parts for "complete edition" before you buy then you are waiting for loooooooooooong time, I hope you wont get spoiled while waiting.
Calling it: 2027 for part 3(30th anniversary) and 2028 or 2029 for full trilogy release best edition on PS6(hoping for bonus Crisis Core included since it’s now titled Reunion).

Last edited:

Kikorin

Please don't, I'm 37hrs in FFXVI doing all the sidequests too and I'm getting bored to death, luckily I'm very close to ending. No point in a 100hrs long game if the side contents are basically copy-paste of the same encounter with the same enemies and the battle system consist of spamming a single button over and over.

Crayon

Yeah, very annoying of them. FFXVI was so forgiving and easy that it became really boring for me.

Thankfully FFVII: Rebirth will have a difficulty option from the start called "Dynamic". As far as I know, it's level scaling. I am okay with that...Square needs to get their shit together with challenging players. Even Octopath 2 was significantly easier than part 1.

Where did you hear about the dynamic mode? Another thread is up with info about the map, etc. I'm going blind so I'm not in there, but is that where it's mentioned?

Yeah I would say fresh Hard mode is impossible in FFVII R. You do need soul siphon, certain builds, maxed Prayer, Chakra etc. The mode is obviiously tailored to level 50. If you go in lower, you'll hit this level in minutes anyway. And even on level 50 with maxed out weapons and slots its still not all that easy. I liked having to manage my resources and be kind of forced to use materia I would never slot otherwise. Though the boss marathon near the final chapter was sort of pushing it.

For me it changed the whole game. It reminds me of botw master mode, where a tweak here and there manages to not just make it harder but actually stress the gameplay. Even if it's something stark that can turn people off, like bokoblins with health that regenerates scary fast. The breaking weapons of botw are a perfect example of how a rude-ass rule goes so far to bring out the gameplay.

So when I first played 7R, I thought it was very good. I had a good time all the way through. For the battle system, It was messy but great. Unique, dramatic, flexible. When I beat the game I watched the action button review (essay). It's a long video and a good amount of time is devoted to talking up the hard mode. I was curios so I started the game again on the hard mode. Just to try it out. I previously had no intention of playing the game again.

The no items and no mp on benches brings out the richness of the battle system in a way I did not anticipate. Basically, as you know, it requires a lot more planning. This was such a change because I was gradually seeing that strategic side of the fighting that did not come to the forefront on the regular difficulty.

Kind of a bummer not to have it at the beginning. But then again, no-items house rules are as old as final fantasy itself. The used to be too easy and that was the only difficulty so I think I'll live lol.

cireza

If it is very open and has side content like FF XV, this is going to be a lot of fun. I had zero interest in the first FF VII remake but this one looks just so much more promising.

And now to wait for the Xbox version...

Last edited:

manzo

FF7r was such a slog, 5 hour content stretched to roughly 40 hours.

I quit the game many times and actually forced myself through it. Because of this, I'm probably going to skip the next iterations until I see if they're any better than the first game. And this is from a person who finished the original like 20 times and I still love it dearly.

saintjules

The missions will suck regardless of where it's at.

That is every open world game in a nutshell.

Devs know they can throw in a hundred hours of copy/pasted garbage and people will lap it up.

Even the best open world games have crappy side quests, so I'm not holding my breath this will somehow be the exception.

Yeah, I'd rather only a handful of side quests than repetitive ones.

Ghost Tsushima and it's follow the footprint bullshit sidequests were killing me.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d rather have a fun 30 hour game than 100 hours of stuff I don’t want to do. I hate doing every single little thing. If I know I’ll get something from it, sure, but 30 hours of fetch quest type stuff is going to get boring fast. As much as I love FF7, there’s a point where I’ve had enough.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm a huge fan of Remake but basically skipped 75% of the sidequests. I enjoyed the ones in 16 more as I liked to revisit old areas and felt there were some good ones for world building/lore and side character development.

From what they've said about the sidequests in Rebirth if you read the article in the other thread they sound better on paper than part 1. I'm sure the developers read through the reviews and took on board the criticisms from part 1 in this regard. So I'm expecting some good ones that flesh out certain towns/regions/characters.

Last edited:

sendit

'Content' doesnt necessarily equate to quality.
Never said it did. Regarding the developers claims made for this game, 60% of the content is optional. Again, who complains about *optional content*.

I read another post in this thread about an individual complaining about Final Fantasy 16 being too long because of the *optional* side quest. Bro....skip the side quest (the optional content) and finish the game if you think its too long.

Just shaking my head at the stupidity of some of these opinions.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Midgar was like 20% of Disc 1. Post-Midgar to Forgotten City, which is what Rebirth covers, is the rest of Disc 1. 95% of the game after that is on Disc 2, and then Disc 3 is the final dungeon.
Sure. However we are talking about FF7R trilogy and Rebirth is Disc 2 of FFVII-2.

So it makes you wonder if FF7R(3) is going to be even bigger to fit everything in or if they end up making a 4th game down the road.

TexMex

Can we please stop buying this marketing hype speak? No it isn’t. This is the new Dying Light 2 saying their game is 500 hours long. It’s always some technical bullshit marketing loophole but no reasonable play through of the game will hit 100 hours.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
This trend of inflating play time with menial content just so you can market your game as having tons of value for the money is disgusting.

Modern game industry has raised a generation of zombies with open world, gacha and Candy-Crush.

saintjules

No kidding. Imagine complaining about developers giving gamer' content. Now imagine those same gamer's complaining about the 69.99 price tag because the game was only 10 hours long.

I think it's one thing to give content, but it's something else entirely when it's repetitive sidequest content. Let's get rid of all these bloated fetch quests and keep a handful of meaningful ones that are intertwined with the story.

As for the 10 hour thing, if I got a high quality action game that was 10-20 hours in length, then they can take my $70USD gladly. I can understand it's not the same for the next person.

As an aside, I understand for JRPGs they are usually 30-40+hrs in length, but again, these '100 hour' are claims I hear often and I always say that it will vary anyway depending on the player.

Can we please stop buying this marketing hype speak? No it isn’t. This is the new Dying Light 2 saying their game is 500 hours long. It’s always some technical bullshit marketing loophole but no reasonable play through of the game will hit 100 hours.

Agreed. Persona 5 was the only game I played in recent memory that exceeded 100 hours. And that's just because of the forced pacing in the Palaces.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Rebirth-Dynamic-Mode-1024x576.jpg

That was taken from a developer interview for Rebirth a couple months back. It'll be available day one instead of having to beat it first. More info here.

Excited I Like It GIF by LA Clippers

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This trend of inflating play time with menial content just so you can market your game as having tons of value for the money is disgusting.

Modern game industry has raised a generation of zombies with open world, gacha and Candy-Crush.
I mean if you are intelligent you just take what they say and divide by 2. If you get hooked on a game you can easily beat it in 1/3 to 1/2 the time they list. And usually anywhere between 1-3 days.

TexMex

Agreed. Persona 5 was the only game I played in recent memory that exceeded 100 hours. And that's just because of the forced pacing in the Palaces.

For sure, legitimately long game.

Another thing people conflate is that because they played something 100 hours, that makes it a 100 hour long game. I can play Mario Wonder for 100 hours, but that doesn't make it that long of a game either.

Top Bottom