• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN account still banned after fraudulent charges refunded

I've been bitching about this in various PSN threads, so thought I'd vent my frustration into a single thread.

So about two weeks ago now, I woke up one Sunday morn to find that £30 had been put into my PS Wallet... hm... drunken impulse buys? No. FIFA points. Well, I'm not the Fifa player in any shape or form, so I knew instantly it was fraudulent. Rang up Sony Customer Support (UK) and spent multiple calls and about 20 minutes at a time trying to get in touch with a representative. FINALLY got on the phone to somebody, who told me they'd look into it right away. After that point, my account was "temporarily suspended" whenever I tried to log in. Whilst they were investigating, I assumed.

So about a week and a half ago now I got the £30 succesfully refunded into my account. Happy times! However... my account remains banned/suspended. I have called multiple times since, only to be told my case is with "head office" who can only be contacted by writing... they have no idea why my account is banned, nor how long it will take to fix. They have told me to stop calling, as they will get in touch as soon as they know what's going down.

TL;DR: My stolen money is returned, but my account is locked. Sony Support are all kinds of suck.

Into

That sucks man, this FIFA hacking business seems to frequent on both platforms, i hear about it all the time.

I suppose all you can do is wait, and hopefully they will honor their commitment and get back to you.

That sucks man, this FIFA hacking business seems to frequent on both platforms, i hear about it all the time.

I suppose all you can do is wait, and hopefully they will honor their commitment and get back to you.

I guess it's to do with the content not being locked to a particular account. Damn EA.

You just kept calling?

"Call back in about a week"

*calls back in about a week*

I'm probably a bit of a pest to them but when they keep being so vague it's pretty frustrating.

Speak to a manager and then their manager if needs be but be polite about it, being a dick doesn't make anyone want to help you.

I'm never a dick to customer support as a rule. There's a difference between being persistent and being a dick.

Surely you got a case number?

Which I keep quoting and keep getting the same "It's with head office, we don't know why you're banned" response

Vini

Banned
Hey guys I just had a bad experience so all of tech support is bad.

Not being a dick or anything but is this really worth posting? I would just do what they say or try again.

mekes

If you are a member on Facebook, try contacting Sony UK. Whoever is in charge of that are always very helpful with any problems with Sony services. If you want your account back, I'm sure they could fix it for you within a day.

Not being a dick or anything but is this really worth posting? I would just do what they say or try again.

I'm just frustrated and wondered if there were any similar cases on GAF. I've heard of the FIFA scam before but not in this manner.

smurfx

get some go again
Why is it so hard to just un-ban somebody? Why do they have to keep diverting the issue to someone else?
they are probably afraid of somebody stealing an account and then calling up with that persons personal info and getting it unbanned. sony wants to protect themselves from any potential lawsuits.

I find the having to write a letter to get an account unbanned laughable.

Sony should be embarrassed. Don't some Sony reps post here? Perhaps they could help?

they are probably afraid of somebody stealing an account and then calling up with that persons personal info and getting it unbanned. sony wants to protect themselves from any potential lawsuits.

Doesn't their new ToS say you agree not to take legal action against them?

andshrew

Just for clarity was the money refunded directly from Sony or did you pursue it with your bank/credit card company and get it refunded through them?

It sounds frustrating but maybe they've suspended your account while they investigate any potential security breaches and also to prevent further fraudulent activity? Perhaps those investigations are continuing, and maybe they will get back to you when they know more?

You know, like they've already explained to you?

It sounds frustrating but maybe they've suspended your account while they investigate any potential security breaches and also to prevent further fraudulent activity? Perhaps those investigations are continuing, and maybe they will get back to you when they know more?

You know, like they've already explained to you?

They haven't explained much at all. They said, and I quote "We don't really know why you're banned." I've waited fairly patiently for two weeks, but it's running thin.

JambiBum

I had this happen with my 360 a while back. The way it works with MS is that they lock your account so that no more charges can be made while they look into it. Once the situation is resolved they unlock it. I assume that it's the same thing with Sony.

andshrew

No, it's direct from Sony. I read that they ban you for simply reversing the charges, I waited for them to sort it.

Thats true.

You would expect that if they've refunded the money that they would have concluded their investigation...almost sounds like someone forgot to unsuspend it. I had this with my account I'm sure it was unsuspended as soon as I got the refund.

Perhaps try waiting until two weeks have past then call and ask for a manager.

They haven't explained much at all. They said, and I quote "We don't really know why you're banned." I've waited fairly patiently for two weeks, but it's running thin.

Lets think about this logically for a moment; fraud occurred on your account and they originally suspended your account to investigate and prevent further fraud, it's now escalated to head office and they're probably involving your bank and/or law enforcement if this relates to other cases.

They may not be able to give you an fuller answer because this may prejudice any internal (and possible external) investigations. I seriously doubt that Sony have just decided to arbitrarily punish you and I don't doubt for a moment that stuff is going on in the background that is quite understandable and is centred around preventing a reoccurrence and getting to the bottom of what originally occurred.

This stuff takes time and you've been refunded.

I can't believe EA still hasn't fixed this FIFA issue. It's been years.

Doesn't their new ToS say you agree not to take legal action against them?

I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US, the ToS stating such stipulations doesn't mean jack shit. I would imagine (hope) that it'd be the same there.

Post on their facebook wall. Companies are more willing to help when the complaints are out on social media.

Done and done. Couldn't help me as the people running the Facebook group have no access to account info. I'm not getting off the phone today until I get some solid answers. If they're still investigating I understand, but I just want some solid answers.

Well, this post sure is annoying.

Visibility is usually the way some of these issues with customer service get handled quicker. I have no problem with someone complaining on GAF, Twitter, Facebook or where ever if they're being dicked around by customer service. Sony is especially bad when it comes with this.

213372bu

Banned
Sony has been very bad lately. here's a tip for someone who constantly is calling out BS in about everything doctors/others try to pull things on me.

When Sony says call back in a week, don't do so. Sony telling you to do so is only a way for them to try to ignore you and tire you out simultaneously.

Call literally every day.

If that doesn't work in a week, call 2-3 times a day. Always [demand to speak to a manager and threaten that they will never see your business again.

Always get the name down of the employees you talk to, and say each of their names and describe the long process you've gone through when speaking to each employee. Express that you feel neglected as Sony customer for X years, and that the support you are getting will make you go out and buy the competition.

If they don't do so, or try to keep switching you over, just be ignorant and say that the next time someone puts you on hold or else you to make sure someone gets reprimanded. It works.

*DISCLAIMER: Never yell on the phone line when "demanding" or talking in general. They will only keep you from getting what you want, and some companies normally have hidden blacklists on which they don't take certain customers seriously.*

Same shit again. They basically say it's impossible from their end to unlist my ban. All they can do is "put in a request" with higher up, they don't even have phone numbers.

I'm kinda bummed guys. I'm contacting a different Sony number seeing as in the rep's words "It's not really a Playstation matter anymore".

Same shit again. They basically say it's impossible from their end to unlist my ban. All they can do is "put in a request" with higher up, they don't even have phone numbers.

I'm kinda bummed guys. I'm contacting a different Sony number seeing as in the rep's words "It's not really a Playstation matter anymore".

That part about not having the number is bullshit. Even if, they could find out, but won't be bothered to do so.

Try different numbers and explicitly tell them that the people you contacted so far either willingly or unwillingly refused to help you get your problem resolved by either withholding information or simply not bothering to find solutions.

Try different numbers and explicitly tell them that the people you contacted so far either willingly or unwillingly refused to help you get your problem resolved by either withholding information or simply not bothering to find solutions.

It seems really weird how the company is set-up, I guess that's one of the problems of having so many different branches. It's most likely with Sony Entertainment Network people now, but their number doesn't operate on weekends.

I'll have to contact them in writing on Monday I guess, I'm kind of running out of options.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
No, the OP is right - publicly calling Sony out on this is the quickest way to get a resolution. I'd make a list of every Sony related Twitter account available and then start calling them out in public on Twitter. It is AMAZING how quickly most big multinationals respond on Twitter - by far the fastest way to get a resolution if you're getting the runaround on the phone.

It seems really weird how the company is set-up, I guess that's one of the problems of having so many different branches. It's most likely with Sony Entertainment Network people now, but their number doesn't operate on weekends.

I'll have to contact them in writing on Monday I guess, I'm kind of running out of options.

I feel you. I've experienced the same shit with EA some years ago. Keep at it.

No, the OP is right - publicly calling Sony out on this is the quickest way to get a resolution. I'd make a list of every Sony related Twitter account available and then start calling them out in public on Twitter. It is AMAZING how quickly most big multinationals respond on Twitter - by far the fastest way to get a resolution if you're getting the runaround on the phone.

Tweet Adam Boyes?

Mondy

Banned
They say they "don't know" why you are banned....So the automatic response to that is to assume guilt and leave you banned.

GG Sony. If they did that to me, I'd be livid.

@Neuromancer

So it's not getting solved today. I've took one guy in this thread's advice and basically spammed every single one of their social network channels. I can't be worried about being annoying now, want this shit fiiixed.

Top Bottom