• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about how unpolished Infamous SS is?

mcfrank

I am not very far into the game, only an hour or so, but I am shocked at how unpolished the controls and the character interaction is. I have floated through more objects than I can count while moving about the environment (not using an ability, I mean things like the cans on the table in the first area). The characters do not feel like they are actually walking on the ground, but rather hovering over it.

Also, so far, the controls are insanely floaty. You seem to accelerate at the end of a jump which makes the game really like it does not take place in a real world with physics.

This game falls way short in all of the ways that that Naughty Dog succeeds with their games. In uncharted and last of us, the characters feel like their are really in their environment. I am not sure how much this will effect my enjoyment of the game, but so far it is shocking that a flagship game is like this.

Silky

Banned
Also, so far, the controls are insanely floaty. You seem to accelerate at the end of a jump which makes the game really like it does not take place in a real world with physics.

That sounds like inFAMOUS Physics to me.

bob page

I thought the controls were floaty at first but after a couple hours I no longer notice it.

As for your other concerns, I haven't noticed any of that. In fact, my first impression was being surprised at how polished it felt.

Gestault

In spite of that assertion, people have seemed to be having a lot of fun with it. I've heard it described regularly as the superhero game Marvel wishes it created.

Tagg9

Played through the entire game and I only noticed one clipping issue. The controls may seem a bit floaty to some people, but I got used to them quickly.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think the controls are the one thing in Second Son that they absolutely nailed. It's the general world and mission design where the game falls short.

StuBurns

Banned
It feels like an iteration of the series to me.

I had some bugs, fell through the ground a few times, but I think it's a fairly polished package personally.

I disagree. SS is very polished. Just beat the good path and am starting again on evil. Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary for open-world games. This is certainly no Assassin's Creed in terms of glitches.

I am not very far into the game, only an hour or so, but I am shocked at how unpolished the controls and the character interaction is. I have floated through more objects than I can count while moving about the environment (not using an ability, I mean things like the cans on the table in the first area). The characters do not feel like they are actually walking on the ground, but rather hovering over it.

This game falls way short in all of the ways that that Naughty Dog succeeds with their games. In uncharted and last of us, the characters feel like their are really in their environment. I am not sure how much this will effect my enjoyment of the game, but so far it is shocking that a flagship game is like this.

You're comparing it to what exactly? Infamous 2?

Feels almost identical to Infamous 2 to me.

I had absolutely no problem with the controls in Infamous 2, so...the OP and I simply have a difference of opinion.

Noted.

chadskin

I fell through a road once but never encountered any other issues. ACIII was unpolished, but inFamous SS is very far away from that term in my experience.

Scoot2005

Banned
Still fun as shit. I haven't been able to put it down.

Edit - The only issue I've seen is dashing through people. Doesn't really diminish the enjoyment.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've had some collision issue when I was trying to go out on the wood thingies in the water.

Other than that I can't really think of anything being really bad physics wise. Except for the Infamous magnetism.

I had one glitch where I went through a wall and got stuck inside it but other than that I didn't have any other glitches/problems or felt it was unpolished in any way and I've finished it.

jaypah

Yeah I've fallen through shit and even walked from one roof to another, completely standing there as if I was on solid ground. I have a video of that saved actually because I though it was funny. For the most part the game has been really solid. The controls seem to be a love/hate thing. It seems a little floaty but not to the point that it hurts my enjoyment of the game.

gunstarhero

This is my first Infamous game, and the controls are what I love the most about it. It's much quicker and twitchier than I would have imagined. (almost In an arcade type of way)

Loving it so far.

I am comparing it to other playstation flagship games. Thinks like Drake putting his hand on the wall as he walks by in Uncharted really make a difference.

OK..so there is no right or wrong then.

Infamous 2 doesn't control like Uncharted 2. I don't prefer one control scheme over the other. You obviously do.

To be honest, the only area where I give Infamous the nod over Uncharted would be in the game mechanics.

Story and characters? Uncharted by a mile.
Gameplay? Floaty or not, it's more fun "playing" Infamous than it is any of the Uncharted games imo. The overall experience is better in Uncharted, but I love sucker punch gameplay.

Eggbok

Are you trying to compare the realism of Infamous to The Last of Us?
How does that even....but super powers...wat?

Goldenhen

I just bought the game today and it didn't bothered me at all with control and how character interact with. It might be because I have played infamous 2. Give it another few hours you might change your mind about the control and physic.

grapetile

Neo Member
To be totally honest, I have gotten stuck in a few buildings/structures that I totally wasn't mean to be in. Happened twice I think, and both times, I had to either reload to an earlier save, or reset the mission because I'd just be stuck floating. I realllly don't want that to come across as a generalization of the game as a whole, as I feel overall it does feel like a solid video game. Both times I was really hammering into my powers and just speeding across the map as fast as I could, but it was still surprising a little bit.

Besides those two times, everything else (controls, physics, whatever) pretty much seems great and well constructed, in my experience.

Here are a couple pictures I snagged while it was going on -

FN9gZ2Z.jpg

CMN56IA.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I am comparing it to other playstation flagship games. Things like Drake putting his hand on the wall as he walks by in Uncharted really make a difference.
To be completely fair. The Last of Us is the game where the characters feel the most connected to the game world of any third person game I have ever played.

If that is the bar, then every other game is unpolished. I think the wall-touching in Uncharted 3 was completely overdone. Was great in TLoU, though.

mcfrank

Are you trying to compare the realism of Infamous to The Last of Us?
How does that even....but super powers...wat?

I am not comparing realism. I am comparing if the characters feel like they are really in and interacting with their environment.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's super floaty and you stick to everything just like in every Infamous game.

And as always there's no walk animation...

None of this stuff is new dude. It's Infamous.

edit: Also gaf is not generally receptive to this type of criticism in my experience... especially on flagship games.

Game felt fine to me, the controls felt awesome. I thought the game was extremely polished. I wish it had done more overall, but what it did it did well I thought.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Even if not, the game is most certainly still affected by changing hardware and launch rush. It seems pretty polished for what it is, a launch window game.

Top Bottom