• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ryza 1

Cfh123

For years I put off getting this game as I was not sure I would like it. I got it on a Switch sale. I'm almost done. I had a blast playing it and am sad to see it come to an end.

The problem I have with many JRPG's is that at first I enjoy them, but about half way through I run out of steam, usually because the combat gets stale for me. There are exceptions.

In Ryza, combat is not a major focus. The major focus is the crafting system (alchemy). I enjoyed futzing around with the crafting and upgrading my equipment. The game respected my time with the quick travel options. You can easily avoid the monsters to get to the resources needed for the crafting.

It has a very different feel than most JRPGG's.

The characters were charming. I liked the low-key story. It is a bildungsroman. The graphic textures qualities were basic but the art direction was excellent. The side quests were pretty lame - hopefully that improves in the sequels.

The game is kind of like a Stardew Valley JRPG. Chill out in a pretty environment, futz around making stuff, hang out with your anime pals, do a bit of combat.

I'm looking forward to Ryza 2, but sadly did not pick it up on the sale.

Cornbread78

Affectionately known as "Thighs; The Game"

This series has been on my PSN Wishlist for years, but I still haven't pulled the trigger

Last edited:
Top Bottom