• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball | OT | Haggle for Peanuts and Crackerjack

maxcriden

logo_RustysRealDealBaseball-e1396036279933.jpg

Platform: 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, no special edition unfortunately
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: bring me a doughnut and I will tell you
Genre: the feel of a baseball-themed minigame collection
Release date(s): NA 04/03/2014
Blocks: haggle with me to find out
Save Files: 1
Official site: http://rustysrealdealbaseball.nintendo.com/

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo3_250.gif

Story:

Rusty Slugger runs a ramshackle sporting goods store that features balls, bats, gloves, and Nontendo 4DS video games. Get to know this sad sack salesman, and you may score some good deals on games.

You play as your Mii. The game starts by entering Darumeshi Sports Store run by Inuji Darumeshi, a 10 year-old dog (56 in human years) and former professional baseball player. He welcomes you and gives you a boiled egg, his favourite food, as a gift for coming to his store. Inuji is in a bad place- his wife has left him and his store is failing. Children no longer want to play his beloved sport of baseball, instead choosing to play inside.

But Inuji had an idea - he went to Hontendo (the game specifically differentiates it from Nintendo) to get a "4DS" and some baseball games to sell. Gosh darn it, if the kids aren't going to play baseball outside, they damn well will on their 4DS.

For listening to his story his gives you a 4DS and a demo of one of the baseball games.

Then, he tells you how hard it is raising ten kids without his wife around. So, you offer to look after one. The kids' names vary, but other than that they look exactly the same, but you are able to pick which one you want.

You take the kid back to your home and play the baseball demo, by climbing inside the 4DS and running along the cable to the TV.

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo4_250.gif

Pricing model:

Nintendo said:
You can download Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for free and play the demo game, but Rusty's going to need to see some real money from your Nintendo eShop account to purchase the individual baseball minigames.

Haggle with Rusty to get the price of each of 10 minigames down to $2 or so each. That's $20 for the whole experience.

Per GameFAQs:

So I just finished buying all the games at the lowest value and here's what you can get. All prices do not include local sales tax which is applied to all purchases seperately. You'll know if a price is at it's lowest because whichever puppy you take with you will tell you and the price box itself will be completely red.

Haggling/Story-Unlocking Games
1st game: $2.00
2nd game: $1.90
3rd game: $1.80
4th game: $1.70
5th game: $1.60
6th game: $1.00

Discount Coupon Games
All four games: $1.50

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo1_250.gif

Screens:

lIekLbp9RweN2XD-gBi5_eNh8zyxeEVz.jpg
b15A6GQb2iwUh5nJGCLefj7MkBx0Y4tJ.jpg

weppUbnfOGEJvm1I0_9kpurCjCfNZPNn.jpg
QYW7u7zLVMFtQng5VjjHpsjT5saLG6rH.jpg

TjPz0ecN9ujyoLg7kTIBRRsfQx3NjLAe.jpg
qklpJzYzYxoXG2KG9CbxafX809lERsRB.jpg

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo7_250.gif

Minigames:

3dsrustyrealdealminigame05jpg-1e0b58_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame07jpg-dc3b07_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame06jpg-1e0b59_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame08jpg-1e0b5a_160w.jpg

3dsrustyrealdealminigame09jpg-1e0b5b_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame11jpg-1e0b5c_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame10jpg-1e0b5d_160w.jpg

3dsrustyrealdealminigame12jpg-1e0b5e_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame04jpg-1e0b60_160w.jpg
3dsrustyrealdealminigame03jpg-dc3b09_160w.jpg

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo6_250.gif

Trailer:

click here

tumblr_mrj3y0O5k11qzp9weo5_250.gif

Reviews:

Destructoid - 8/10

Nintendo Life- 7/10

maxcriden

I just cobbled this together so let me know if you have any suggestions, improvements, or additional information to provide. Thanks!

terrisus

Only gotten 2 of the games so far. Bat and Switch ($2) and Make the Call ($1.90), but am enjoying it very much so far.

There's definitely a bunch of thought put into the text of the game too. Creative, funny, etc.

Although, I do feel bad taking advantage of Rusty when (so far in the story anyway) his wife has left him to raise 11 children on his own. So, you're basically stealing food off their plates.

Cade

Such a cool pricing model. I'll play the demo and maybe buy one of the games if it grabs me. Rusty seems pretty cool too.

maxcriden

Only gotten 2 of the games so far. Bat and Switch ($2) and Make the Call ($1.90), but am enjoying it very much so far.

There's definitely a bunch of thought put into the text of the game too. Creative, funny, etc.

Although, I do feel bad taking advantage of Rusty when (so far in the story anyway) his wife has left him to raise 11 children on his own. So, you're basically stealing food off their plates.

$1.90, eh? Nice. I hadn't heard of any going below $2....

ETA: terrisus, can I ask how many save files there are? eShop games sometimes seem to only have one save slot....

terrisus

$1.90, eh? Nice. I hadn't heard of any going below $2....

ETA: terrisus, can I ask how many save files there are? eShop games sometimes seem to only have one save slot....

Just 1 save file, as best as I can tell.

I exited out of the game, and went back in, and there didn't appear to be any place to create or select another name (or even clear data)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just put a half hour into this and I REALLY enjoy it. I'd basically be paying $1-$2 for a game like this on iOS so I think the inclusion of the storyline that brings them all together is worth it. Having a blast so far, although I feel bad for haggling a guy whose wife left him with so many kids :/

Penguin

I know the information will come over time, but could the thread starter update the OP with bottom prices for each game if possible

georly

I wish there was a demo for each game.

Ill just have to watch videos online.

Yeah, part of free to play is sampling the game before buying. I'll download for free, but dont plan on buying anything until gaf/internet gives me the verdict on what's good

Yeah, part of free to play is sampling the game before buying. I'll download for free, but dont plan on buying anything until gaf/internet gives me the verdict on what's good

I want to buy some of the games...but it feels a little dirty.

The first game is called "Bat and Switch(bait and switch)", and its the only demo.

Overall, i like the presention, and the first game was pretty fun. I just want to be able to demo every game.

Tom_Cody

Can you change pups (Rusty's children) after you select one? I made the decision kind of hastily and now I wish that I had looked at them first.

If not, I want to restart my save file sooner than later so I can spend more time on that decision.

terrisus

Got Cage Match for $1.80

Some of the prices probably depend on the order you do things (I did this as part of the wig thing)

RiggyRob

One of my favorite parts about this game is "Nontendo" and "4DS".

Wait, really? That's a little on the nose.

I could see Nintendo releasing a similar football-specific type of game for Europe if this does well (assuming that Nintendo Pocket Football Club isn't what we get instead, that is).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure about the individual mini-games, but I do know that the main game is about 615 blocks, or almost 77 MB.

Might get the Bat & Switch, thought the demo was alright & I wouldn't mind trying to unlock more items & uniforms. I think the challenges are perfect for pick-up-&-play between college classes & homework.

Kind of wish there was more demos, though.

georly

Got Cage Match for $1.80

Some of the prices probably depend on the order you do things (I did this as part of the wig thing)

Ok, official, i'm waiting for faqs to say how to get best price, even if this takes a year, since people can't do trial and error to figure it out.

terrisus

Ok, official, i'm waiting for faqs to say how to get best price, even if this takes a year, since people can't do trial and error to figure it out.

I mean, it might be as simple as "The first game you haggle for you can get down to this price if you have the necessary item(s)," The second game you haggle for you can get down this price if you have the necessary item(s)," etc.

Elija2

I played all that I could without paying for anything and then deleted the game. I don't know why they call it a free-to-play game when it's much closer to a demo. It would be alright if every mini-game had a demo that you could play for free, but only the first one does.

I like that Nintendo are experimenting with different free-to-play models, but this one can barely be called free-to-play. Maybe they should just stick to free-to-play in multiplayer games. The free portion of the single player in Steel Diver was also really short but the multiplayer more than made up for it.

terrisus

I played all that I could without paying for anything and then deleted the game. I don't know why they call it a free-to-play game when it's much closer to a demo. It would be alright if every mini-game had a demo that you could play for free, but only the first one does.

I like that Nintendo are experimenting with different free-to-play models, but this one can barely be called free-to-play. Maybe they should just stick to free-to-play in multiplayer games. The free portion of the single player in Steel Diver was also really short but the multiplayer more than made up for it.

Does Nintendo actually call it "Free-to-Play" anywhere?

I know it says "Free" for the price to download it, which is true of course, but I don't recall seeing them say it was "Free to Play" anywhere.

Granted I didn't check over it that closely, but just asking.

Elija2

Does Nintendo actually call it "Free-to-Play" anywhere?

I know it says "Free" for the price to download it, which is true of course, but I don't recall seeing them say it was "Free to Play" anywhere.

Granted I didn't check over it that closely, but just asking.

The eShop banner does say "Try it for free" so my complaints are a bit unfair. I guess I was just hoping for a free-to-play game like Steel Diver where people who don't want to pay can still get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I wouldn't consider it F2P. More among the lines of a game hub where you can choose which games you'd like to buy & you can choose what to pay between a determined price range.

I wonder if they could add in the option to haggle for everything at once, though I guess you wouldn't have enough items to do so.

Refyref

Lowest price seems to be 1.50$, according to a screen I've seen on Twitter. Anyway, the game will tell you if you hit the lowest possible price.

jholmes

Really like the game. Got a gold medal on the Bat and Switch derby and got a business suit. Piled up a whole bunch of discount coupons, but didn't have time to try to haggle for another game. Might do that tonight or tomorrow. Does anyone know what the minimum prices are for games? I'd rather not waste my coupons finding out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, the haggling is kind of part of the "storyline" of the game.
Ah yeah, noticed the demo starts at Chapter 1. Guess that's another motivator for people to buy more minigames, to advance the story.

Lowest price seems to be 1.50$, according to a screen I've seen on Twitter. Anyway, the game will tell you if you hit the lowest possible price.
I don't suppose that can be achieved with every game, right? Would be amazing if you could get that price for the rest of the games & pay only $13.50 for the remaining 9 minigames.

rjc571

Banned
I bought the fielding game for $2 but I want to hold off on buying the other games until somebody figures out the exact way to get them all for the lowest possible price. I'm a cheapskate, sue me.

The minigames are really fun (at least the two I got to play). I wish Nintendo would put out more well-thought-out minigame collections like this. Hey Nintendo, remember Warioware? Why not make one of those for 3DS?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, so question about the Bat Master game. It mentioned that you can take the bat that you create from that minigame & use it in the other minigames you bought. Would it be smart to get that using discount tickets first, then making specialized bats for the other minigames to get gold medals?

Refugio

Makes me wish the Miis were updated to this style.

Yeah my mii looks pretty cool.

Played through the demo and it was enjoyable enough(A is the highest rank right?). Not sure if I'm gonna buy any of the games but I wanna read more about the characters. Rusty's hilarious.

Picked Rusted as the kid. Was a tough decision between him and Rusty Jr .

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, got 164 on the Hi-Score Derby! *pup says I can score higher* Oh god, don't tell me there's S-ranked medals to get....

Top Bottom