• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die Unchained Debut Trailer

Fuck yeah!

I love this series, it's the perfect Action/Tower-defense game in my eyes. There are a lot of them out there with their own strengths and weaknesses, but OMD! has always been the one I've found most fun to play. (at least for a SP perspective, I rarely play multiplayer anymore)

Can't tell a lot from the trailer, but did that indicate there will be 4 player co-op? Seemed like there was about that many characters now.

VandalD

Oh man, I loved Orcs Must Die 1 and 2.

Hey, what's this about Gold in the founder's packages? Is this a free to play game? That would significantly kill interest for me. Edit: Yep. Either free to play or buy in with microtransactions. Ugh.

KarmaCow

Hey, what's this about Gold in the founder's packages? Is this a free to play game? That would significantly kill interest for me. Edit: Yep. Either free to play or buy in with microtransactions. Ugh.

Please say it isn't so. :(

I can definitely see it happening with the trajectory from 1 to 2 though.

Judging from the website, it looks like it's going to be a F2P take on competitive Orcs Must Die!, pitting two human teams against each other. So is it a MOBA now? I've never played Orcs Must Die! before, but it sounds an awful lot like a MOBA rather than a tower defense if there's two human teams.

Phil4000

Looks like the series got a nice graphical boost! and I believe it is a MOBA type game...
time-4-sum-aksion_bg-633e1e7c5738a9e041a014d61e0f0e09.jpg

If it's anything like traditional F2P monetization, it will be a very unfortunate direction for the series to take.

Nothing says "Unchained" like free-to-play restrictions.

Fake(?) Edit: I want to play as that Werewolf/Wolfman - he looks so awesome.

Hey, what's this about Gold in the founder's packages? Is this a free to play game? That would significantly kill interest for me.

Hmm, yeah I was noticing that on their site...

Jzcx8rk.png

That could just be the equivalent of the Skulls from the past games, where you earn them through normal play and use them to upgrade traps and buy new ones. It is a little worrying, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the game will be a F2P mess.

I've heard good things about Hearthstone and that lets you buy cards and stuff, right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Judging from the website, it looks like it's going to be a F2P take on competitive Orcs Must Die!, pitting two human teams against each other. So is it a MOBA now? I've never played Orcs Must Die! before, but it sounds an awful lot like a MOBA rather than a tower defense if there's two human teams.
Yeah, looks like a F2P tower defense MOBA. I'm sure it'll have it's place but just typing that descriptor out made me lose interest.

KarmaCow

This is probably the fastest I went from excited about a game to almost completely turned off.

I say almost because the semi-MOBA + traps idea is kinda interesting but it's so heavily dependent on other players that it could flop horribly. Seeing a "BEST VALUE" banner on the $150 tier doesn't help either.

Sciz

Unexpected. I figured they'd pretty well run out of ideas after the second one. And I guess they did as far as PVE gameplay goes, given the changes to the formula.

Interesting, though. And it does look a lot nicer. Comes off like a bunch of hand-painted miniatures running around.

Jubbly

Quick, strategic, relentless

PvP for real heroes

Orcs Must Die! Unchained is a high-octane PvP action game for PC in which you storm the opposing fortress together with your friends and defend your own base.

Blast-a-thon vs. Bastion

Unleash your rowdy hordes and penetrate through to the heart of your enemy's defences! But don't forget your enemies will also be sending their bloodthirsty minions to your rift. Construct a maze of traps and beat back everything they send at you.

Grinding, roasting, slashing or good old-fashioned thumping - every dirty trick is at your disposal when both attacking and defending.

Heroes new and old

Dozens of unique characters and an abundance of skills give you a multitude of ways to run riot. Old friends like the War Mage and the Sorceress return, and put themselves up against new heroes such as Blackpaw, Midnight and Bloodspike.

Whether cunning, magical, gallant, or just plain brutal - there's something here to suit everybody's tastes!

Collect and upgrade

Mighty heroes, deadly weapons, savage traps and powerful minions - get them all and upgrade them! Pick your favourites from an enormous arsenal and devise the perfect strategy for every match.

Your deadly collection will keep growing as the game is updated regularly with new heroes, weapons, creatures and traps.

Gameforge beta sign up page: http://en.omd.gameforge.com/#/

Pay a ton of money for a Founder Pack and get instant alpha access: http://en.omd.gameforge.com/founderspack.html#/

This is probably the fastest I went from excited about a game to almost completely turned off.

I say almost because the semi-MOBA + traps idea is kinda interesting but it's so heavily dependent on other players that it could flop horribly. Seeing a "BEST VALUE" banner on the $150 tier doesn't help either.

Right there with you. Watched the trailer again and noticed the other player characters and didn't see any real single player stuff in there. :(

Kinda gross too that they don't even give a description for the game before offering Founder Access to pay for and play the game immediately. I want to try it, but don't want to waste my money either.

tumblr_m4eur3KACI1qzuqe9.gif

For some reason I read the title as "Orcas Must Die Unchained." So I was thinking it was some game about Shamu fighting the evils of the ocean...I need sleep

Looks visually nice, though.

Raide

Since it still retains all the trap laying etc, it could make for a very different MOBA game that is not just about ganging up on 1 players and nuking them.

Hoo-doo

Banned
MOBA? Fuck that noise.

But y'all are sleeping on the co-op of the previous games. Get a friend online and it's a blast.

KaiserBecks

Trailer made it look great. Heard MOBA and microtransactions and I'm out.

Yeah, same here :(

I love this franchise, but I don't care about MOBA at all. Can't really blame them though, it kinda fits and seems to have a lot of potential to be successful when done right.

DocSeuss

IT TOOK ME SIXTY SECONDS.

SIXTY. SECONDS. How does that even happen?

"Best value"

$149.99

Fucking damnit. 1 and 2 were pretty great games, and now it's a F2P MOBA... I was just talking about shitty trends that everyone tries to jump on in another thread last night, in all forms of media. Shit sucks.

Well, Orcs Must Die just shit the bed. Atleast I still have the first two. Sucks because that Minotaur and Werewolf looked pretty rad.

Keasar

Sweet! A new Orcs Must D~

Oh, Free to Play. I thought these games were doing pretty well. Welp, got the first two to still play. Might give it a try when its released but I am not paying for gold packs. Give me a 20-30 USD Unlock All Heroes/Weapons/Traps/Spells permanently pack and I could go for it, aka what Hi-Rez was doing with Smite.

Damn, what a shame. All I wanted was more of the same with a few adjustments and maybe 4 player co-op. My excitement for this has fizzled out after reading about it.

ever played Enfos?

Could be similar to that.

HoosTrax

Not really surprised they headed in this direction. Robot Entertainment always struck me as being very bloated in terms of number of employees. Guess they decided it wasn't sustainable without resorting to mobile games like their previous two offerings, and F2P games.

edit: they have three times the number of employees of Coffee Stain Studios (Sanctum, Goat Simulator) for example

OldRoutes

...Wow. I'm bummed now. Fuck. OMD is awesome, why did they...make it into a MOBA

I mean, I don't want to sound offensive, but "more of the same" wouldn't have been good either.

I don't like that direction, but those two games still exist and are still highly playable.

Damaniel

Banned
$150 fucking dollars for early access? Microtransactions? Is nothing sacred anymore?

Orcs Must Die is one of my favorites. I haven't played the sequel yet, but I fully intend to one of these days. Looks like it might be the last Orcs Must Die game I end up playing, though.

Sciz

...Wow. I'm bummed now. Fuck. OMD is awesome, why did they...make it into a MOBA

They were already most of the way there, save for the PVP aspect.

I wouldn't exactly qualify OMD2 as "more of the same" over the original, this alternative is basically an extreme.

OMD2 is the very definition of more of the same. It's great, but fundamentally a very large content pack with a co-op mode, and coming out less than a year after the first one saw it garner some criticism for being more expansion than sequel.

Top Bottom