• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

ggFokLL.jpg

Follow the post below to add your name to the Diamond Dogs contacts list!

So if this is working correctly...There should be a google docs link that you can use to add your PSN/XBL/Steam name.

(Quote to reveal)

Welcome to the Metal Gear Community Thread! The hub on NeoGaf to talk all things Metal Gear.

General Forum Rules:

The most recent game should be discussed in its respective OT.

Most of these games have been out for a while so plot talk is ok. The only exception is Ground Zeroes. If you want to talk about that you should go to the Ground Zeroes Spoilers Thread

No David Hayter whining please.

This should go without saying but please be respectful of everyone. If you don't like a certain game that is fine, but don't put someone down because they like certain games....cough cough MGS4.

And as always, general forum rules apply

What is Metal Gear?

Well, a Metal Gear is basically a bipedal walking tank that can shoot nukes from anywhere in the world. But that’s probably not what you were looking for in an answer.

Metal Gear is a series of stealth action games by Hideo Kojima. The games have two overarching stories: One following the actions of Naked Snake/Big Boss and the other following his son/clone Solid Snake. Metal Gear is known for its epic (some may say convoluted) plots, crazy characters, wacky sensibility, and… them cutscenes.

What you’ve heard about Metal Gear’s cutscenes are true. They’re long, they’re drawn out at times, and sometimes they get in the way of the game. You’ll be happy to know that they’re well produced though! In all seriousness though, love ‘em or hate ‘em, Metal Gear is famous for those cutscenes.

How should I starting playing the Metal Gear games?

The good news? You can pretty much play most of the Metal Gear games on the PS3!

I would start with Metal Gear Solid (If you want the best looking version of MGS1 go with Twin Snakes on the Gamecube) and then work my way through in order of release.
Buy the MGS HD Collection, which includes MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker. The HD Collection also contains Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. All you have left after that is MGS4 and Ground Zeroes!

If you want to play the games in chronological order, it goes like this:

MGS3
Portable Ops
Peace Walker
MGS5: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
MGS
MGS2
MGS4
Metal Gear Rising

I would skip Portable Ops because 1: It’s only on the PSP (and PS Vita if you want to side load it) and 2: Though the core story is considered canon, Kojima did not write or direct this game. There are really only a couple things of importance that happen throughout the game plot wise. But if you really want more Metal Gear then don’t let me stop you!

The first two Metal Gear games came out on the MSX in Japan. You don’t need to play those games before Metal Gear Solid 1 to understand the plot but they are included with the HD Collection. Just go ahead and read a wiki on the plot of those two games.

Metal Gear Rising is different from the other MG games as it is developed by Platinum Games and is a character action game. If you like either of the two things in the latter half of the last sentence then you’re in luck as MGR is great! And even if you’re intimidated by character action games, give MGR a chance as Platinum has kept in mind that regular Metal Gear fans will want to enjoy it.

Games (In Order of Release):

Metal Gear (1987)

RTdWPc9.jpg

The game that started it all. Solid Snake of FOXHOUND is sent to Outer Heaven by his commanding officer Big Boss to find out what is “METAL GEAR….”.

Setting: 1995

Platforms: MSX2, NES, DOS, Commodore 64, Gamecube, Mobile Phones, PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1990)

o7EmNfE.jpg

Snake is sent to Zanzibarland in order to rescue Dr. Kio Marv, creator of an artificial oil called OLIX.

Setting: 1999

Platforms: MSX2 (Original), Mobile Phones, PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360.

Metal Gear Solid (1998)

rr3gK4G.png

Snake is dragged out of retirement to deal with his former unit, FOXHOUND. They have taken over Shadow Moses Island in Alaska and with it, a Metal Gear. Their demands? The remains of the legendary soldier, Big Boss.

Setting: 2005

Platforms: PS1, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, PC.

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel (2000)

bxXqyMK.jpg

A non-canon portable spinoff.

Platforms: Game Boy Color

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001)

OuUgM7Y.jpg

A terrorist unit calling themselves the Sons of Liberty haven taken over an offshore cleaning facility, the Big Shell. New hero Raiden is sent to recover the United States president who is being held captive.

Setting: 2007, 2009

Platforms: PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (2004)

wBQ2PHh.jpg

The Twin Snakes is a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid by Silicon Knights. The game includes the obvious graphical improvements but also redone cutscenes, voice work, and gameplay.

Platforms: Gamecube

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)

EADRnbG.jpg

The origin story of Big Boss. A young Big Boss (known then as Naked Snake) is sent on a mission to prove America’s innocence in a nuclear attack in Russia. In order to do this, Snake must kill his mentor, the mother of Special Forces, the Boss.

Setting: 1964

Platforms: PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox, Xbox 360.

Metal Gear Acid (2005)

c59nEZd.png

A spin-off turn based collectible card.

Platforms: PSP

Metal Gear Acid 2 (2006)

XSIcqGd.jpg

The sequel to Metal Gear Acid.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (2006)

Z6etlR7.jpg

Set six years after Snake Eater, Snake is on a mission to apprehend his former unit FOX which has gone renegade.

Setting: 1970

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008)

waw7zss.jpg

In a world where “War has changed”, an accelerated aged Solid Snake is sent on a Mission to assassinate his twin/rival Liquid Ocelot. NANOMACHINES.

Setting: 2014

Platforms: PS3

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010)

0XQ8XXR.jpg

Snake has established the word’s first PMC, the Militaires Sans Frontieres (French for Soldiers without Borders). Snake’s unit is sent to investigate US involvement in Costa Rica and the possible return of an old mentor.

Setting: 1974

Platforms: PSP, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (2011)

eP7vckO.jpg

This collection contains MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker in stunning HD and a silky smooth 60 frames per second (on consoles). The Vita version only contains MGS2 and MGS3. This is the definitive way to play these games.

Platforms: PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (2012)

LFrz1ij.jpg

Snake Eater 3D is a port of MGS3 to the Nintendo 3DS. It features additional gameplay features such as crouch walking and over the shoulder aiming.

Platforms: 3DS

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2013)

ikkfdXx.jpg

Nanomachines son.

Ok, Ok a real synopsis. In this Platinum developed character action game, you play as cyborg ninja Raiden in the aftermath of MGS4.

Setting: 2018

Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360, PC.

Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (2013)

1lnsvUM.jpg

A Metal Gear fan’s dream. This mega pack includes:

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Two Digital Graphic Novels
An art book

Unfortunately this set is hard to find and thus prices have gone up for it.

Platforms: PS3

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (2014)

XVFgx50.jpg

The first Metal Gear in our current console generation.

The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Paz and Chico are captured by Cypher and held in a Cuban prison camp for interrogation. Snake embarks on a rescue mission in order to save the two before they compromise MSF.

Setting: 1975

Platforms: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4.

Upcoming:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (TBD)

5HSv5BS.jpg

The Phantom Pain is set 9 years after Ground Zeroes. During this time, Snake has been in a coma and awakens to exact revenge for the actions that took place during Ground Zeroes.

TPP will be Metal Gear’s first foray into open world gameplay. The game is said to be “over 200 times larger than Ground Zeroes”. The game currently does not have a release date but is rumored to come out in early 2015 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4.

Special Shout-out to Marcedn over at Deviant Art for letting me use his art for the cover banner. Check out his work on Deviant Art here. http://marcedn.deviantart.com/

Community Spotlight

Checkout Jerrod's Ground Zeroes' speed runs here. He's currently number 1 on the Xbox One leader boards for a lot of categories!

Also check out the granddaddy of all Metal Gear, no all OTs here on neogaf: BruceLeeRoy's Metal Gear Solid 4 OT

JayEH

This is my first big thread like this so go easy on me. I'm open to changes that will help improve the thread.

Jawmuncher

Great Opening Post.
Since this is the MGS community I just want to say

Always bet on Snake, he'll be back in Super Smash Bros messing with Nintendo Characters .

Here's to you, OP!

If it hasn't been mentioned already, there was a PC port of Metal Gear Solid published by Microsoft

source: I have a copy of it

injurai

Banned
I swear there was a discussion thread created a few months back. But I dig getting a official community thread started.

squadr0n

The circle has finally come around when The Phantom Pain comes out, cant wait!!!!

What are the chances we see Solid Snake in some form in TPP? Switching voice actors for Big Boss to Keifer would make sense if young Solid Snake was making a return with David Hayter doing the voice again.

JayEH

Here's to you, OP!

If it hasn't been mentioned already, there was a PC port of Metal Gear Solid published by Microsoft

source: I have a copy of it

Alright I'll add that to the OP. Some of the older games were ported to systems you wouldn't suspect.

If anyone else sees any other platforms I missed for some games, let me know!

About time there was a community thread for this series.

It's my favorite game series of all time, of course I only recently played the first one, so now I've played all the mainline solid titles except Ground Zeros, which I will hopefully be picking up soon.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
AWWWW yiss. My favorite series of all time.

In Hideo We Trust.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Kept you waiting, huh" sounds so awkward. Like it was translated out of context or something. It just strikes me as odd for him to say that in English in that scene whereas "待たせたな" comes across perfectly fine in Japanese.

Makes me wonder how much of this is Kojima trying to control the English script down to specific phrasing.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
metal gear solid 4 is the greatest game of all time. the feels i got from the final fight are beyond compare.

Sgblues

If there's one series that hasn't gotten an OT yet, its definitely The Metal Gear series, thank you for making this.

been thinking about playing metal gear and metal gear 2 again recently. just found my hd collection discs like half an hour ago, don't think I've ever booted this up before. hehe. will do this for the weekend I think. nice.

When are they gonna make Metal Gear AC!D³ for Vita tho?

yeah. could use this

squadr0n

metal gear solid 4 is the greatest game of all time. the feels i got from the final fight are beyond compare.

Its one of the Best Stories of all time lol but definitely not one of the greatest games of all time. It had the potential and the right ideas but every environment was just way too short. If they focused on the first 3 and made them alot larger like Ground zeroes or MGS3 it would have been the Greatest Game of All Time.

LOVE Metal Gear Solid. Very informative post for newcomers to the series and general information! I cannot wait for The Phantom Pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom