• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

I got the 3DS version of MGS3, my first Metal Gear game ever, some weeks ago, and I beat it last weekend. I got hooked right away, and made me wish I could go back in time to make my younger self go buy The Twin Snakes for my GameCube.

This first run was a pacifist one on normal difficulty, and everything was just right. The AI was often stupid enough to let me run up to them and do melee takedowns the many times I screwed up and got spotted, but it was quite fun anyway.

I've got to say, though, that five of my continues were from that damn part where you have to snipe the explosives that EVA had set on the bridge. Aiming with ABXY was a real pain, since it was nearly impossible to gently move the crosshair until it overlapped the explosives, all while EVA kept saying "Hurry, we won't make it!".

The End, The Boss and The Sorrow were my favorite boss fights by far, since the first two were about stealth and patience like the rest of the game, and the last one was interesting in its own special way (it took me a try to notice I had to use some item and a second try to notice I could equip the revival thing only in the game over screen, though).

Yeah I agree with that, I was talking specifically about him trying to kill you during the bike chase after he clearly tried to help you versus volgin.

Who knows though... if he had of hit and killed snake would it have furhered his agenda?... I put it simply like this... If he was trying to kill you, and succeeded, could oscelot have carried on to achieve "his" goals..

JayEH

Hey everyone I've been in class the last couple of hours but I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words about the thread. I was really nervous about doing this at first but I'm glad I did it.

And while we're ranking games, my top 5 are:

MGS4
MGS3
MGS V: GZ
MGS: PW (Currently playing right now, but I know its good)
MGS2

I haven't played PO, and I still haven't finished MGS1 (I'm working on it!). 4 is my favorite because it was my introduction to the series. It may be a mess in a lot of ways but its nostalgic value for me is too high :p.

I'm also a bit bias towards games featuring Big Boss since I think he's a cooler character.

Who knows though... if he had of hit and killed snake would it have furhered his agenda?... I put it simply like this... If he was trying to kill you, and succeeded, could oscelot have carried on to achieve "his" goals..

Highly doubt it. As he would have had to fight the shagohod by himself and probably kill the boss. Well they could have just dropped the nuke on everyone and be done with it I guess.

Holykael1

Banned
Hey everyone I've been in class the last couple of hours but I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words about the thread. I was really nervous about doing this at first but I'm glad I did it.

And while we're ranking games, my top 5 are:

MGS4
MGS3
MGS V: GZ
MGS: PW (Currently playing right now, but I know its good)
MGS2

I haven't played PO, and I still haven't finished MGS1 (I'm working on it!). 4 is my favorite because it was my introduction to the series. It may be a mess in a lot of ways but its nostalgic value for me is too high :p.

I'm also a bit bias towards games featuring Big Boss since I think he's a cooler character.

Im surprised to see MGS 2 so low, what do you dislike about it considering that MGS 4 is your favourite and that one continues the events setup by mgs 2.

Timeaisis

Ok, everyone is ranking their Metal Gear games. I just want to be popular:

MGS = MGS3 > MGS2 = MGS4 >> MG2:SS >>Peace Walker >> MG1 >> Portable Ops

Only mainline titles. I'm not including Ground Zeroes even though I really liked it, because I want to wait and play The Phantom Pain.

We're pretty close here. I knew from the other threads you knew what's up.

Also: can we all agree that MGS2 has the best videogame opening of all time?
"The Hudson River, two years ago..."

Woffls

MGS4 is awful.

The third act was fucking terrible

What's wrong with it? The motorcycle bit sucks like hell, but everything before that was pretty much the highlight of the game for me. I'm playing it right this second, as it happens. Great atmosphere and whistling.

haikira

Ranking time, eh?

MGS2
MGS3
MGS
MGS4
MGS5:GZ

Peace walker had it's moments, but it's so far removed from the gameplay that made me a fan in the first place, and the story gets insane, even by the already ridiculous standards of MGS.

I really should complete the Metal Gear games sometime. Can't really call myself a true fan, until I do.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ruined my desire to give a shit about MGS at all anymore till GZ came along.

"Ruined my desire to give a shit about MGS until the next numbered MGS was announced"

Although when GZ was announced it wasn't numbered.

MGS 4 is one of the best games of last gen, get at me brehs.

Winner of NeoGAF GOTY award
twice

JayEH

Im surprised to see MGS 2 so low, what do you dislike about it considering that MGS 4 is your favourite and that one continues the events setup by mgs 2.

Like I said, MGS4 was my first MG game. I watched Game Trailers' retrospectives on the other titles for general plot summaries before I played MGS4.

I played MGS2 a couple months after. It's at the bottom of the list since I just really like the BB games. Planning on replaying MGS2 (and finishing MGS1) over the summer and that may change up the order in the list.

Rojo

Well might as well mine are

MGS2>MG2>MGS1>MGS3>MGSPW>MGSPO>MGS4>MG1

I don't think i have a place for ground zeros too short to really compare, but i do enjoy it alot. I also would like tot say that i don't hate any game they all are some fun games. This is more a list on how easy it is to go back and play for me.

Also AC!d 2 > Ac!d 1 damn i love acid 2

Holykael1

Banned
Dat fucking bridge jump, brah.

Perfection.

A7f1HIICMAEwQeE.png

jiggles

Banned
I only really started playing Peace Walker after my copy of Ground Zeroes arrived, and I "finished" it before I let myself put in the new game. But because not doing the true ending skipped a bunch of stuff, I've gone back now to fully complete it properly.

For my money, Peace Walker is the best in the series. Hands down the most mature story, and the extra stuff outside the main campaign is just great.

Rizzi

I picked up the Legacy Collection a few weeks ago. I'm halfway through MGS2 right now.
Forgot how god damned crazy this story is, heh.

And not only the event itself. The scene direction, the special effects (Still blow my mind to this day. Best rain efect EVER). And DAT MUSIC.

"I didn't plan on relying on that gadget anyway..."

Dat music is so fitting right across the whole series... it might sound like hyperbole but to me it isn't...

...yes i've probably drunk too much tonight lol... but anyhow... tomorrow in my heart, nothing changes where the music is concerned.... as much as people conflict with words.. there is nothing denying the scores of these games... they are perfection

MacNille

Banned
Ruined my desire to give a shit about MGS at all anymore till GZ came along.

MGS4 is amazing. How can you hate something with this:
tumblr_inline_n2ystvTWnV1reg810.gif

fmCSh8k.gif

Is the cutscenes in it too long? Hell yeah. Does the story make no fucking sense at times? Yep. Too much nanomachines? You bet ya, but I love the shit out of it

Ishida

Banned
MGS4 is amazing. How can you hate something with this:
tumblr_inline_n2ystvTWnV1reg810.gif

fmCSh8k.gif

Is the cutscenes in it too long? Hell yeah. Does the story make no fucking sense at times? Yep. Too much nanomachines? You bet ya, but I love the shit out of it

Liquid's takeover at the Volta is one of my favorite events in the whole timeline. He basically gains control of 99% of all firearms and military equipment across the globe.

And he shoots down helicopters with his fingers. The ultimate badass.

cackhyena

"Ruined my desire to give a shit about MGS until the next numbered MGS was announced"

Although when GZ was announced it wasn't numbered.

Winner of NeoGAF GOTY award
twice
I still wouldn't care about it, numbered or not, if the game play wasn't vastly improved as it is. The story will be an add on, shitty or not, it has no bearing on my enjoyment. The game play is so solid. More so than I hoped it would be.

Liamc723

My ranking:

1. MGS 1
2. MGS 2
3. MGS 4
4. MGS 3
5. MGS 5:GZ
6. MGS: PW

Metal Gear Solid is my favourite game of all time and I doubt it'll ever be replaced, I have so many memories attached to it.

BUT in the end of the day... did you fucking enjoy it?... "I know I did"... if you didn't what's wrong with you .gif"....

MGS4... the problem stems from the fact is... everything had to have an ending... if you never played MGS from the ps1 you had to have an ending, if you played MGS1/mgs2 you sill had to have that ending...there was no meaning, just an ending.

Timeaisis

And not only the event itself. The scene direction, the special effects (Still blow my mind to this day. Best rain efect EVER). And DAT MUSIC.

"I didn't plan on relying on that gadget anyway..."

I fucking love Tanker. It's so awesome. The whole thing is just perfect. Ocelot's scenes near the end are great, too.

"The gift of the silver tongue...they say it's the mark of a good officer...and of a LIAR!"

Anyway, so what was y'all first Metal Gear game? What's your MGS history? I played them in kind of a weird way. Basically, I watched my friend play through MGS1. I think he got through the whole thing but I honestly can't remember. I played it a bit, but seeing as if I didn't own it I don't think I ever got through all of it. Loved everything about the game because it was so cinematic and awesome. I didn't have a PS1 at the time, but when MGS2 hit I bought it and a PS2 immediately. I guess you could say that was my "first" MGS game (that I actually played through completely). Loved pretty much everything about it. Was disappointed that I was Raiden in the second half of the game, but honestly that just grew the Solid Snake mythos for me (as he's a badass side character that is nigh unstoppable). Bought TWIN SNAKES for GC and loved every goddamn second of it. Even though it was Matrix-y and cheesy at times, still really solidified MGS as my favorite series.

Then, of course, there is MGS3. I was really worried that they were going back in time to 64. I wanted more Solid Snake, I wanted them to tie up the loose ends of MGS2 and introduce more crazy futuristic military shit. Anyway, I bought it immediately because at that point I was a die-hard fan. Something clicked like no other game has since. I can't remember how many times I've beat MGS3. I think I have like 5 or 6 different versions of it. Fast forward to MGS4, the PSP games, and of course GZ, and here I am today.

Holykael1

Banned

Im going to quote myself from a post I made in another thread.

I know it might seem weird that these were a surprise hit but hear me out.
So I only jumped into the MGS bandwagon in 2012. This was a time where my internet lurking did not include gaming related stuff for the most part, I was completely ignorant about the magnitude of the franchise. All I knew was that this was a game that my brothers had played when they were teens and I was a little kid. I remember that they loved this game and I had faint memories of cool looking boss fights and stuff. Fast forward to 2012 and now my eldest brother buys Metal Gear Solid 2(they kinda dropped out of gaming during he early 2000's , my eldest brother must have been feeling nostalgic and he wanted to see what the sequels were all about.), well he bought it and he played through the tanker chapter and dropped it for some reason, however my other older brother played through the entire game and I watched a few parts of it here and there and the narrative was super compelling(this is when I found out the MGS games were very story heavy, I thought they were gameplay oriented stealth games).

With that I decided to get the first MGS for my psp and see what the fuss was all about.. I struggled with the gameplay early on because this was my first experience with a stealth game but the narrative, voice acting and long cutscenes pulled me in completely. I could not stop playing this game. The gameplay was tons of fun too with great boss fights and a lot of imaginative ways to tackle problems. In every step of the way I was completely baffled that a non RPG game had such a great story(in 2012 let's just say that my knowledge of gaming in general was very limited and it was playing games like MGS that made me crazy about gaming and basically it's a central part of my life now.).
I finished it in 2 days and I had to immediately start up MGS 2.. Playing MGS 2 was like reaching a new level of enlightment.. I was completely blown away by all the twists, philosofical commentary and level of complexity of the story.. I played it in a single sitting and jesus fucking christ was it good.. Another one of my all time favourites. MGS 1 shattered expectations because I was ignorant about the series, MGS 2 shattered expectations when they were already sky high coming off of MGS 1.
Of course in the vacinity of 2 days I bought MGS 3 for the ps2 and also played it in a few sittings but it didn't raise the bar after MGS 2.

RULES OF NATURE!
Damn I made a mistake in the re iteration of my rankings MGS 2 > MGS 4 not the other way around.

JayEH

I think Pat from Two Best Friends perfectly sums up MGS4's biggest problem:

It tries to be a sequel to MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3, all separately.

Still love it though.

Sciz

I don't usually rank things, but I can make an exception for this series.

MGS1 > MGS3 > MG2 > MGS:pW > MGS4 > MGS2 > MG1

Ishida

Banned
I fucking love Tanker. It's so awesome. The whole thing is just perfect. Ocelot's scenes near the end are great, too.

"The gift of the silver tongue...they say it's the mark of a good officer...and of a LIAR!"

Anyway, so what was y'all first Metal Gear game? What's your MGS history? I played them in kind of a weird way. Basically, I watched my friend play through MGS1. I think he got through the whole thing but I honestly can't remember. I played it a bit, but seeing as if I didn't own it I don't think I ever got through all of it. Loved everything about the game because it was so cinematic and awesome. I didn't have a PS1 at the time, but when MGS2 hit I bought it and a PS2 immediately. I guess you could say that was my "first" MGS game (that I actually played through completely). Loved pretty much everything about it. Was disappointed that I was Raiden in the second half of the game, but honestly that just grew the Solid Snake mythos for me (as he's a badass side character that is nigh unstoppable). Bought TWIN SNAKES for GC and loved every goddamn second of it. Even though it was Matrix-y and cheesy at times, still really solidified MGS as my favorite series.

Then, of course, there is MGS3. I was really worried that they were going back in time to 64. I wanted more Solid Snake, I wanted them to tie up the loose ends of MGS2 and introduce more crazy futuristic military shit. Anyway, I bought it immediately because at that point I was a die-hard fan. Something clicked like no other game has since. I can't remember how many times I've beat MGS3. I think I have like 5 or 6 different versions of it. Fast forward to MGS4, the PSP games, and of course GZ, and here I am today.

Played the first Metal Gear on it's craptastic NES version when I was a kid. Dismissed it almost instantly as a "Rambo game" and didn't care too much about it.

Years later I came to own a PlayStation. One of my cousins told me: "There's this game called Metal Gear Solid, which I absolutely swear you will never beat". It took it as a challenge, got the game and HOLY SHIT.

Instant fan.

I was never a fan of "military" games, but Metal Gear was different. It took over my brain with all it's sheer insanity, superpowers, technology and characters. I never looked back.

Ishida

Banned
This is by far the best rendition of the main theme:

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Main Theme

It represents the soul of the franchise beautifully.(Especially from 2:43 onwards)

Abso-fucking-lutely.

It's easily one of my favorite main themes in the video game industry.

When it comes to the "new" Metal Gear Solid theme, I would go for "Metal Gear Saga" from MGS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRw3nE67aw

The part when the tune slows down into a sad, melancholic melody gets me every time.

Holykael1

Banned
Abso-fucking-lutely.

It's easily one of my favorite main themes in the video game industry.

When it comes to the "new" Metal Gear Solid theme, I would go for "Metal Gear Saga" from MGS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRw3nE67aw

The part when the tune slows down into a sad, melancholic melody gets me every time.

Oh man Metal Gear Saga is so good.. Especially when it plays during the last boss fight. It's the stuff of legend.

MGS4 felt so perfect from a Gameplay perspective at its time, that it has become one of my favorite games of all time.
The Story felt inconsistent at times, but it still has amazing moments in my opinion.
Especially the ending and
Shadow Moses.
Also the Soundtrack goes so deep, being able to play all the tunes on the iPod, Love Theme, Old Snake, Father & Son, Here's To You, Metal Gear Saga and of course
The Best is Yet to Come in Shadow Moses.
Just really really good.

Don't wanna be left out of the ranking fun so here we go:

1. MGS 3
2. MGS 2
3. MGS
4. MGS 4
5. MGS: PW

I basically think 3 and 2 are equals, each doing some things better than the other, but MGS 3 wins out for me because of nostalgia as it was my first MGS, and it has much better boss battles.

braves01

Banned
Also the Soundtrack goes so deep, being able to play all the tunes on the iPod, Love Theme, Old Snake, Father & Son, Here's To You, Metal Gear Saga and of course
The Best is Yet to Come in Shadow Moses.
Just really really good.

The podcasts were awesome. I hope those make a return.

Liamc723

Oh man Metal Gear Saga is so good aswell.. Especially when it plays during the last boss fight. It's the stuff of legend.

I'm a huge fan of Ground Zeroes' theme "Here's To You", there's just something about it that really clicks with me, love it! Anyone else?

Ishida

Banned
Oh man Metal Gear Saga is so good aswell.. Especially when it plays during the last boss fight. It's the stuff of legend.

The part when the sad melody starts during Metal Gear Saga is forever engraved into my brain as the music that plays at the moment when Big Boss disconnects Zero's life support and hugs his old friend/foe one more time as he dies.

Holy shit. IMPOSSIBLE to hate such a scene. It truly made me shed manly tears.

jett

D-Member
That rankings are pretty clear to me:

MGS3: Favorite game of all-time.
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4
Peace Walker: It's disgraceful that this could've been considered MGS5 and even worse that some people are around here actually wish that was the case.

Holykael1

Banned
I'm a huge fan of Ground Zeroes' theme "Here's To You", there's just something about it that really clicks with me, love it! Anyone else?

Yes, it's amazing. It's an excellent parallel between Nicola/Bartz and Snake/Kaz with MSF.

The part when the sad melody starts during Metal Gear Saga is forever engraved into my brain as the music that plays at the moment when Big Boss disconnects Zero's life support and hugs his old friend/foe one more time as he dies.

Holy shit. IMPOSSIBLE to hate such a scene. It truly made me shed manly tears.

Oh yeah.. Just thinking about it gets me a little bit teary eyed. It's the scene of a defeated, missdirected man finally coming to terms with all the horribleness that he suffered through. Powerful stuff.

fritzo

Any MGO fans here? Metal Gear Online for those not in the know. Loved MGO1 and MGO2 especially. Really looking forward to the next installment on TPP. I'm hoping they release a beta too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom