• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yeah, checking in with my collection :D
mgs.jpg

should take a better photo though, this is also missing GZ.

Any MGO fans here? Metal Gear Online for those not in the know. Loved MGO1 and MGO2 especially. Really looking forward to the next installment on TPP. I'm hoping they release a beta too.
Oh me, right here me I am/was. I had a serious love/hate relationship with MGO2. I put well over five hundred hours or so into that game. I started December of 2008 and with some breaks in between, was a frequent player until the end in June 2012. I got up early to spend those last few moments in the game before the servers closed. I don't think any Multiplayer game will ever come close to MGO2 for me, not even in The Phantom Pain.

I remember playing MGS4 over and over (even got Big Boss rank) when PSN was down because I missed MGO.

You have no idea how excited I was when that Robbie the Rabbit gear came out in the reward shop. I miss that game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Who's the best Metal Gear protagonist?

Is it Solid Snake, "The man who makes the impossible possible"? Or maybe you know him better as "The hero of Shadow Moses". Even when he was an old man, he was pretty amazing, managing to take out the B&B corps and defeat Ocelot after nearly dying in a microwave hallway. He was a hero to the end, unlike his father, despite what he may tell you. And who doesn't love his dry wit and sense of humor?

Is it Raiden, the spec-ops rookie with a tragic past? He more than proved his capability to stand on equal footing with super-soldier Snake, and that was before he became a cyborg ninja. He took on multiple Metal Gear RAYs by himself!

Or is it the legendary disciple of The Boss himself, Big Boss? Incredibly charismatic, he wasn't only a spectacular secret agent - he was the leader of small armies, a nation-wide legend, and beloved by all of his subordinates. He also believes in Santa Claus and will eat anything in sight. And then there's the whole going crazy and declaring that he wants to build a world of never-ending war, complete with child soldiers. Still, even when he was evil, many people seemed to love him.

It's Raiden

Rojo

Solid is still the best for me. He may be a clone, but he found his own reason to fight he was an inferior clone and surpassed both liquid and Big Boss. He has had similar betrayals such as Big Boss and didn't go crazy as a result. He values his fellow man and has a snarky wit about him.

G-Fex

I used to think Solid but now I think Big Boss is the greatest protagonist of the series.

Also they just started streaming MGS1 right now. So good.

G-Fex

Oh man the extra codecs you get in MGS1 when
You shoot at Meryl as she's on the ground after Wolf shoots her. "NO! I can't believe it! Snake has gone insane!!"

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Just finished MGS3 on the HD collection, it's like an entirely different game at 60FPS. Glorious. Doing PW (never played before) then I'm doing European Extreme on MGS2.

Then aiming for Platinums.

It is a very tough fight. I'd recommend 2 rocket launchers and your most powerful light machine gun, if you still can't beat it just grind up your inventory some.
This did the trick.

I finished the game now(including the fight with
Paz and Metal Gear Zeke
)

Took 18.5 hours to complete the entire game, but it was a pretty enjoyable game.

Now that's two Metal Gear Solid games I've finished.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker

I'm thinking of finishing up MGS1 since I got up to Disc 2 of that ages ago(Just after the sniper wolf fight iirc) and then just stopped, I was like "I'll do this tomorrow" but tomorrow never came.

valkyre

Nice thread OP, subscribed!

And yes MGS4 is among my favorites in the series...

I mean is there a better Boss fight build up than this scene??? (skip to 2:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXcKGp-AA8

Every single time I get goosebumps... everything, the setting, the importance, the music, the nostalgia everything is just PERFECT!

Edit: Noob here, new in the forum, how do i embedd youtube videos?

NIN90

Nice thread OP, subscribed!

And yes MGS4 is among my favorites in the series...

I mean is there a better Boss fight build up than this scene??? (skip to 2:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXcKGp-AA8

Every single time I get goosebumps... everything, the setting, the importance, the music, the nostalgia everything is just PERFECT!

Edit: Noob here, new in the forum, how do i embedd youtube videos?

You can't embed youtube videos on this forum.

Too bad the actual boss fight is sorta ass. Got nothing on Armstrong.

jett

D-Member
Big Boss is the true MGS protagonist. In the last 20 years Raiden has actually starred in more games than Snake.

He also does more awesome stuff in MGS3 than Snake does in all his games put together. :p

Holykael1

Banned
Big Boss is the true MGS protagonist. In the last 20 years Raiden has actually starred in more games than Snake.

He also does more awesome stuff in MGS3 than Snake does in all his games put together. :p

What. Microwave run is more awesome than anything Big Boss ever did.
And canonically Solid Snake kicks Big Boss's ass.
Big Boss is the more interesting character though imo.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I'm trying to figure this out.... Snake was in MGS1 and 4. Raiden was in MGS2 and Rising.. Seems equal, no?

And I left out MG: Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games to be polite.

jett

D-Member
I'm trying to figure this out.... Snake was in MGS1 and 4. Raiden was in MGS2 and Rising.. Seems equal, no?

And I left out MG: Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games to be polite.

I counted Ghost Babel but I forgot the Acid games... Okay, they're equal. Big Boss is at four games though.

jett

D-Member
What. Microwave run is more awesome than anything Big Boss ever did.
And canonically Solid Snake kicks Big Boss's ass.
Big Boss is the more interesting character though imo.

Meh. Choosing to cook yourself when you got a perfectly fine cyborg lying around is kinda silly. :p

Big Boss's CQC sequences in MGS3 are the awesomest.

Snake ain't got nothing on Big Boss' CQC.
Which is why he had never defeated Big Boss in combat twice. The dude never needed CQC to make a name for himself, he had wits (and I'm pretty sure he had some level of combat training, not counting the fact that he does know CQC in MGS4).

Raiden in MGS2 is the best character though, before he became the worst character in MGS4, before becoming the best character again in Rising. I can go into observation as to why Raiden's abilities are so often overlooked in MGS2, but I think that'll have to be another post.

MacNille

Banned
You know what I hate about PW? The grind. OH GOD, the Grind. You need to grind so fucking much to get ZEKE. Then playing those damn extra OPS where you fight vehicle.They are so boring. so boring.

Lernaean

Banned
The answer is all of them, i'm always hyped for all 3.

If i was on gunpoint and had to chose though, i'd say Big Boss.
This week, a couple of months ago when i was playing MGR:R on PC i'd say Raiden >.<

Does this need to be posted again:

m1B2CEH.jpg

I disagree.
I'm laughing like an idiot here...

Timeaisis

Y'all are nuts.

(MGS2 Solid Snake) > Big Boss > Solid Snake > MGS4/Revengence Raiden >>> MGS2 Raiden

Raiden is cool, but he ain't got nothing on the Snakes. I'm putting MGS2 Snake in because he's so mythical in that game. He's almost a caricature of himself from MGS1, it's pretty great.

Holykael1

Banned
LOL at that comparison.

If we are ranking protags here we go:

MG Rising Raiden = MGS 4 Snake > MGS 2 Snake = MGS 4 Raiden > MGS 2 Raiden = Big Boss = MGS 1 Snake

MGS 5 Big Boss ??????

Can someone explain MGR's storyline?

I just want to know what Senator what's his face was trying to accomplish, and why they had to do the 'bad guy' is actually the good guy, thing again. They really seemed to be stretching it if that's what they were going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom