• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexor0717

MGS5 is the game that will get my to buy a PS4. I only played half of MGS3, but I loved MGS4 so I'm incredibly hyped for the next one.

La-li-lu-le-lo. Subscribing to this. It's always been one of my favorite series.

I'm going through Peace Walker right now for the first time, since I had no PSP to try it on. (I played Portable Ops on my brother's when it came out. It's better than most people give it credit for, but PW destroys it in every aspect.) Can't wait to pick up GZ.

La-li-lu-le-lo. Subscribing to this. It's always been one of my favorite series.

I'm going through Peace Walker right now for the first time, since I had no PSP to try it on. (I played Portable Ops on my brother's when it came out. It's better than most people give it credit for, but PW destroys it in every aspect.) Can't wait to pick up GZ.

I'm going through PW right now, also. Just about to finish Chapter 3 I think.

Holykael1

Banned
Can someone explain MGR's storyline?

I just want to know what Senator what's his face was trying to accomplish, and why they had to do the 'bad guy' is actually the good guy, thing again. They really seemed to be stretching it if that's what they were going for.

I recommend watching the cutscenes on youtube or you know.. play the game.
It's a 4 hour game but it's probably the best 4 hour game ever made.

I swear people on here are going to make me revisit MGS4, I had played every mgs in the month prior, and didn't see what was so bad about MGS4. Loved it at the time.

Maybe it was the hype surrounding it?

Holykael1

Banned
I swear people on here are going to make me revisit MGS4, I had played every mgs in the month prior, and didn't see what was so bad about MGS4. Loved it at the time.

I don't get the hate either, it's one of those things. Feels like Chrono Cross, FF7 type of hating for some reason.

I understand some of the grievances people have with certain story aspects but they are blown out of proportion to unreasonable degrees imo.

G-Fex

Wow, the rep from Konami has shown up in Uknighted's channel.

Apparently they've noticed the marathon and support it!

RerezDude

MGS4 is the one game in the series I have not ventured back to play a second time. Each time I see a thread about the series it makes me want to go back and give it another shot.

So when they say "Where is Cipher?" which are they talking about?

I think Ground Zeroes plot discussion is supposed to go in the spoiler thread because it's the newest game, so I'm spoiling my response:
"Where is Cipher? Where is Zero?" <- I think that gives an idea on what he means. He doesn't just want the organization, but also its leader. Also, he has only been getting orders by proxy but knows Paz has talked to Zero in person which is a large part of his interrogation, further suggestion he wants Zero.

That means Zero. In a previous sentence, Skull Face said
"Cipher's been in hiding ever since his grand experiment", and this refers to a person
. I think it depends on what context it's said in.

Cipher is also an American private intelligence agency, which Kaz mentions to Snake.

I recommend watching the cutscenes on youtube or you know.. play the game.
It's a 4 hour game but it's probably the best 4 hour game ever made.

Hey, I did play it. I just wanted some clarification. It seemed at the end that there could have been an understanding between them, but instead, they just got angry at each other.

For the 2D format, how does it compare to MG2:SS for you? I can already tell you GB is a better game, but I'm curious how much better.

MG2 must have been amazing when it first released. I played it after MGS and was shocked to see that it was basically a 2D version of MGS, MGS borrowed greatly from it. GB was a 2D game that was more faithful to MGS, the core gameplay felt so great. Tons of great boss battles, all the weapons from MGS1. Plus it had so many VR missions and different campaign modes, its massive. In terms of campaign to campaign MG2 and GB are close MG2 had the better story. But overall GB is the better game.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I love MGS4 and I think it gets a lot of heat. I think it's definitely the weakest of the series (mgs 1-mgs 4), because of it's story telling, but the game mechanics are my favorite of the series.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was randomly felt like seeing if I couldn't be terrible at these games so went to do the virtuous mission on normal mode instead of easy like I always play on. Couldn't get through any of the whopping 3 screens with guards in 'em without causing alert upon alert -_- Then I realized hey thats what happens to me on easy mode to! Therefor I confer to myself the following status!

Codename: Badrats

bigboss_yourefired.wav

btw its silly how BB shrugs off gunshots and other wounds until he learns about the wonders of first aid. After which every little scratch cripples his health bar lol.

Ishida

Banned

I actually played it again a couple of days ago, to see if my love for it wasn't just hype, and "maybe those other guys may be right about some points?"

But nope. A great as ever. A true masterpiece. I decided I would play just the first Act and ended up playing up to the third in one sitting.

A real masterpiece. Haters can go swim on a pool of nanomachines. :p

JulianImp

I was randomly felt like seeing if I couldn't be terrible at these games so went to do the virtuous mission on normal mode instead of easy like I always play on. Couldn't get through any of the whopping 3 screens with guards in 'em without causing alert upon alert -_- Then I realized hey thats what happens to me on easy mode to! Therefor I confer to myself the following status!

Codename: Badrats

bigboss_yourefired.wav

btw its silly how BB shrugs off gunshots and other wounds until he learns about the wonders of first aid. After which every little scratch cripples his health bar lol.

Woah, that's crazy!

I finished the virtuous mission without being spotted or taking down any enemies on Normal on my first and only playthrough (so far). I only realized how to use CQC once I began operation snake eater, though, so I merely relied on camouflage and sticking to moving slowly through plants for extra cover.

A tip I'd give you is to take your time while plotting out your routes, watching around to make sure you aren't going to be spotted while running from cover to cover, and crawling as much as possible if you aren't comfortable with moving around without alerting the guards. Crawl-walking in the 3DS version is also a godsend, since you can move at a decent speed without dropping your camouflage rating too much.

I also found it funny how all NPCs had some kind of ninja run animation, and that included The End, which was quite hilarious (I thought only Ocelot's henchment had it at first, since I hadn't triggered alerts with other NPCs).

Just bought MGS2/3 HD and am working my through all of the dog tags in 2 right now. It's really bringing me back to high school when the game was released. So many memories. I loved this series back then, and I'm having a ton of fun going back through these games years and years later.

I would like to take a moment in this post to thank Pizza Hut for introducing this game in a free demo disc. You don't know how many hours I put into this demo, especially when I'm messing around with the Nikita missile launcher. XD

cackhyena

Is it true some fans consider MGS4 non canon?

Edit: BTW this is the only metal gear I actually got the Big Boss rank lol
I'm kinda fine just thinking mgs1 is where it all ends. I played 2 as much, if not more than 1, but knowing what its really all about just sours the idea that it's a real continuation for Snake. TPP has a real shot at topping my all time favorite, 3. 4 is a ham fisted, convoluted, drawn out mess for me. God, the hype I had for that game going in...

Is it true some fans consider MGS4 non canon?

Edit: BTW this is the only metal gear I actually got the Big Boss rank lol

MGS4 kinda poops on a lot of stuff from previous games by trying to incorporate every past character or element they could into the main plot, regardless of whether it's an appropriate use of that character or story element or not so I can see why some people would want to disregard it entirely even though it's completely impossible to do so now.

uberluigi

Banned
I'm kinda fine just thinking mgs1 is where it all ends. I played 2 as much, if not more than 1, but knowing what its really all about just sours the idea that it's a real continuation for Snake. TPP has a real shot at topping my all time favorite, 3. 4 is a ham fisted, convoluted, drawn out mess for me. God, the hype I had for that game going in...

Yeah same here, really hated how they tried to explain the whole Patriots origin and the plot holes from earlier games.

MGS4 kinda poops on a lot of stuff from previous games by trying to incorporate every past character or element they could into the main plot, regardless of whether it's an appropriate use of that character or story element or not so I can see why some people would want to disregard it entirely even though it's completely impossible to do so now.

This, kojima should of at least made two more main games instead of cramming everything into one. Really didn't like how they made Snake old, yes I know he's a clone and he was programmed with fail safe genes but I would of loved to play young snake again instead of a dieing old man.

JayEH

This, kojima should of at least made two more main games instead of cramming everything into one. Really didn't like how they made Snake old, yes I know he's a clone and he was programmed with fail safe genes but I would of loved to play young snake again instead of a dieing old man.

Yeah he basically made a sequel to MGS1, 2, and 3. I guess he really wanted to be done with the series after that.

ViktorSan

Neo Member
Yeah he basically made a sequel to MGS1, 2, and 3. I guess he really wanted to be done with the series after that.

Agreed. I think it was a closure try that went wrong.

All the talk about "nanomachines (son)"sounds to me as dull and empty as Star Wars "midichlorians"

this one! :D
cypher.png

valkyre

Soild Snake is, BY FAR, the best character in Metal Gear and the entire Saga is built around him. Even the games about Big Boss, they build around the idea that Solid Snake was the true and most sincere hero of the entire saga.

It was Solid Snake, who -without even ever meeting The Boss- was the closest one to her beliefs and her Will.

Solid Snake was the "inferior" one, the "left overs" and yet he was the one to triumph over both Big Boss and Liquid Snake.

It was Solid Snake who ,even though he was constantly used by the Goverment and others, still stayed true to his beliefs and his sencere will to fight for something good. He was constantly being deceived, betrayed, but he didnt turn into a villain like his Father.

Solid Snake is indeed the greatest legacy of Big Boss. In the end of MGS4 Big Boss finally understands that it wasnt his, nor Zero's interpretation of The Boss's will correct, but Solid Snake's. And he realizes that Solid Snake in his place, wouldnt have done the mistakes he did.

It was Solid Snake, the "inferior" one who trully surpassed Big Boss, Liquid and Solidus. He was the greatest failure of all this.

That is not to say that the other characters are not good, they are all great, but when it comes to the best of them, Solid Snake is the one..

And while we are at it here is my personnal ranking :

MGS1
MGS4
MGS3
MGS2
MGS:pW

And sorry but as far as talking about which game "ruined" the saga and is a "disgrace", I would consider the abomination of MG:R to be the one... I am not even listing it in my ranking.

Holykael1

Banned
Hey, I did play it. I just wanted some clarification. It seemed at the end that there could have been an understanding between them, but instead, they just got angry at each other.

Ah I see, sorry for jumping into conclusions.
Did you see the horrible things Armstrong had done to try and achieve his goals? Like for example
scooping up brains of kids and putting them in VR training
, Raiden was furious about that.

I actually played it again a couple of days ago, to see if my love for it wasn't just hype, and "maybe those other guys may be right about some points?"

But nope. A great as ever. A true masterpiece. I decided I would play just the first Act and ended up playing up to the third in one sitting.

A real masterpiece. Haters can go swim on a pool of nanomachines. :p

Ahaha indeed!
The only problem I had with MGS 4's plot admittedly was how suddenly the MGS 3 cast was behind everything but then I started thinking about how little characterization they had in MGS 3 and how little we knew about them(like somebody else mentioned, they were barely characters), now that PW and MGS 5 is being made I am pretty sure MGS 4 will finally be "complete"! Thank god for prequels filling in the blanks xD
Nevertheless, MGS 4 is the most emotionally effective MGS and I still consider it to be a masterpiece(well like all 4 numbered entries really).

To me MGS 3 was a borefest for nearly half of the game and I didn't appreciate the rather simple and straightforward storytelling after coming off of MGS 2. The ending however still remains one of the best if not the best moment in the entire series.

Btw Valkyre that's an excellent synopsis of the Solid Snake character.

uberluigi

Banned

Agreed. I think it was a closure try that went wrong.

All the talk about "nanomachines (son)"sounds to me as dull and empty as Star Wars "midichlorians"

4 seem rushed but I still enjoyed it. Kojima needs back away from Metal Gear before he looses his mind haha. But would anyone be worried/disappointed if Metal Gear 1 and 2 were remade by a different director who was personally picked by Hideo?

cackhyena

Only reason I'd be worried is if the design philosophy was changed along with director. I'm wanting to see where Kojima takes this story in TPP, but if they came out and said, you know what? Forget the story, just gonna give you scenarios with this new game play, I'd be like...cool. I like where they've taken it that much.

I would like to take a moment in this post to thank Pizza Hut for introducing this game in a free demo disc. You don't know how many hours I put into this demo, especially when I'm messing around with the Nikita missile launcher. XD

AUAlMGx.jpg

Played the hell out of this disk...wonder if it still works =0

foxtrot3d

Banned

Same here man, same here. I played the demo a hundred times over before I could finally purchase the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom