• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ludum Dare 29 Game-Development Competition

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ludum Dare Official Website

Sure most who develop games at least know what Ludum Dare is, noticed that there has been no thread made for this year yet. Ludum Dare is a bi-annual game development contest, which is actually two contests in one. One contest has you making a game in two days by yourself to a certain voted theme. You have 48 hours to create the game from scratch, and then submit it to then be contested against other games that were also entered. There is also a second, more laid-back 'contest' to make a game in 76-hours, but multiple people can work on it, it isn't scored by others, and you can use things from your previous projects on it. More for fun than to compete.

After the game development phase is completed, there is a week to play other peoples games and vote on them.

As of today, the 29th Ludum Dare starts in two days from now, the Theme Voting is still going on, thought it'd be fun to make a topic for GAF'ers participating to post progress and things here, and once the competition is done, post their games here (which I'll add to the OP here, along with notably great games recommended by users here as well). Typically over a thousand-something games are developed at each contest, so this should be fun~

I'll be on the side of people streaming my development when it happens as I've done the last two dares, but definitely will be interested in hearing how it goes for everyone.
No matter the theme, I shall somehow make it a horror game.

--------

Games by GAF'ers:

Beneath the Earth by Dark_Inferno
Beneath the Surface by Xaero
Close Your Eyes by Dusk Golem
DeepStep by KNT-Zero
Installation by Flai
Jetpack Caverns by Mental Atrophy
Lost Villages by Blizzard
One Cold Night by Hyoukokun
Pressure by Nezzhil & his team
Sepsis by TheBera
Sprites.CSV: Cute,Snuggly,Versatile by OnPoint & his team
StrataGem by ActionRemix

I'm in! This is the first one I'll be doing solo after doing the previous four with at least one other person. Prepare for the beauty of fillrect. :D

Dusk Golem

voting the suckiest themes through.

also good luck to anyone participating!

I KNOW. I wasn't going to say it, but it seems our likely theme this year will be space or underground or breaking the rules or something. So many good themes so under-voted. Whatever the case, I'll be able to shoehorn in horror somehow, I feel certain.

Without the Round 4 results, here's the current top 21 for final round voting:

1. Break the rules +406
2. Beneath the Surface +362
3. Everything is Connected +248
4. We Must Go Deeper +176
5. Deep Space +165
6. You Are The World +115
7. Isolation +103
8. It’s NOT supposed to do THAT! +70
9. Death is Useful +16
10. Contrast +14
11. Night and Day +13
12. Generations +11
13. Time Does Not Exist +10
14. Ruins -39
15. Everything Breaks -54
16. Control More Than One -80
17. Dreams -106
18. Four Elements -115
19. Control Everyone -125
20. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? -127
21. One of Them Must Die -145

I KNOW. I wasn't going to say it, but it seems our likely theme this year will be space or underground or breaking the rules or something. So many good themes so under-voted. Whatever the case, I'll be able to shoehorn in horror somehow, I feel certain.

Without the Round 4 results, here's the current top 21 for final round voting:

1. Break the rules +406
2. Beneath the Surface +362
3. Everything is Connected +248
4. We Must Go Deeper +176
5. Deep Space +165
6. You Are The World +115
7. Isolation +103
8. It’s NOT supposed to do THAT! +70
9. Death is Useful +16
10. Contrast +14
11. Night and Day +13
12. Generations +11
13. Time Does Not Exist +10
14. Ruins -39
15. Everything Breaks -54
16. Control More Than One -80
17. Dreams -106
18. Four Elements -115
19. Control Everyone -125
20. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? -127
21. One of Them Must Die -145
i didn't vote for any of the top 10 LOL

Alastor3

I have no knowledge of programing, but I always wanted to participate hmmm

I don't want to just make a text-adventure... can someone recommand me a small easy program to make something real fast with a few tutorial ? I don't know what to use

Dusk Golem

I'm in! This is the first one I'll be doing solo after doing the previous four with at least one other person. Prepare for the beauty of fillrect. :D

Bright side is at least you might have an idea to keep things simple as time is really important to this, making use of time and developing quickly (or going for something smaller while developing slower). I wish you luck though, I've only done it solo but usually go for small ideas, so been fine mostly.

i didn't vote for any of the top 10 LOL

I voted for a few, but they weren't my favorites. Of course, Round 4 should shake up the list as well.

I have no knowledge of programing, but I always wanted to participate hmmm

I don't want to just make a text-adventure... can someone recommand me a small easy program to make something real fast with a few tutorial ? I don't know what to use

There's plenty of tools you can use if you don't feel confident in programming, and an option is to team-up with other people for the more laid-back 'for fun' competition. But there are of course engines to use, like you could simply go for a visual novel if you wanted too. Or for me, I am just going to use RPG Maker (though I will be doing some scripting most likely), as I develop too slowly with something like Unity of Game Maker or Fusion. I'll hunt for any Ludum Dare posts about game-engines.

-----

I feel I am going to score very high on music this year. I've been practicing composing recently, and even in previous years the area I always score highest on is audio. Now that I have more practice...

Alastor3

There's plenty of tools you can use if you don't feel confident in programming, and an option is to team-up with other people for the more laid-back 'for fun' competition. But there are of course engines to use, like you could simply go for a visual novel if you wanted too. Or for me, I am just going to use RPG Maker (though I will be doing some scripting most likely), as I develop too slowly with something like Unity of Game Maker or Fusion. I'll hunt for any Ludum Dare posts about game-engines.

Yeah I was thinking of using Flash or maybe Stencyl (Stencil?).

A visual novel would be cool but I want some interaction with the playing with puzzle like point and click so I might pick up Flash...

Dusk Golem

Yeah I was thinking of using Flash or maybe Stencyl (Stencil?).

A visual novel would be cool but I want some interaction with the playing with puzzle like point and click so I might pick up Flash...

Flash would work. One thing I always find interesting in any Ludum Dare is the number of different engines and interpretations of a theme. If you know flash though or can work with it, then I would say not a bad choice to go with~

One thing to note if this is your first Ludum Dare is to hold onto all of your assets. As this is a Ludum Dare contest, you need to submit all of your assets as well with the game as a sort of 'proof' you made them all in the last 48 hours.

Koozek

I might give it a try :) Already voted/slaughtered some themes a few days ago.
This is the first time I'm doing something like this, I'm a bit afraid that it won't work out, haha. I'll use Stencyl 2 and GraphicsGale both which I worked with the last few weeks for a small game I'm making in my spare time every now and then.

Crap I forgot all about this! I've always wanted to enter, but scheduling was usually a problem and considering I'm being reminded of this almost last minute, it might be tough giving myself the weekend to work on this, but I am tired of missing out. Going to try to clear my schedule, but damn it'll be tough.

Dusk Golem

I might give it a try :) Already voted/slaughtered some themes a few days ago.
This is the first time I'm doing something like this, I'm a bit afraid that it won't work out, haha. I'll use Stencyl 2 and GraphicsGale both which I worked with the last few weeks for a small game I'm making in my spare time every now and then.

If you're interested, give it a shot, and don't be afraid of failure. The community on the games are great, just keep in mind to keep it simple, and to something you could produce from scratch in 48 hours. That said, when push comes to shove you might be surprised how much you can get done in 48 hours. But there's no prize or anything, it's mainly for practice, creative passion, and community. More of a thing or fun and to see what you produce to other people, and can help hone a few skills as it can be good practice.

I suggest don't go in to win it, go in for the fun of it.

Dusk Golem

Crap I forgot all about this! I've always wanted to enter, but scheduling was usually a problem and considering I'm being reminded of this almost last minute, it might be tough giving myself the weekend to work on this, but I am tired of missing out. Going to try to clear my schedule, but damn it'll be tough.

Part of the reason I wanted to make the topic a couple of days early as I had almost forgotten about it until a friend reminded me. XD;

But two days ahead notice should help some interested. Wish you luck with clearing your schedule. I am doing preparations now as well.

Alastor3

how do you find your main idea for the contest ? Are you brainstorming ? do you have a story to tell ? some new gameplay to try making ?

Koozek

If you're interested, give it a shot, and don't be afraid of failure. The community on the games are great, just keep in mind to keep it simple, and to something you could produce from scratch in 48 hours. That said, when push comes to shove you might be surprised how much you can get done in 48 hours. But there's no prize or anything, it's mainly for practice, creative passion, and community. More of a thing or fun and to see what you produce to other people, and can help hone a few skills as it can be good practice.

I suggest don't go in to win it, go in for the fun of it.

Hehe, yeah, I'm only doing it for the practice and fun! That's why I think I will only take part in the Jam. Sounds more relaxed and the rules aren't as strict. Maybe next time I'll take a shot at the Compo :p

I feel I am going to score very high on music this year. I've been practicing composing recently, and even in previous years the area I always score highest on is audio. Now that I have more practice...

Oh, nice. I'd like to see/hear some of your games if you don't mind!

someone has to do it. Musical Horror Game.

now i want the theme to be Musical Horror.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the reminder. I've only actually submitted something for one or two...my main obstacle is that if I manage to make the time commitment and dedication work for this, it's that much time and dedication that I could have put towards my actual game project instead of getting practice on some other random engine. =P

Dusk Golem

practice your tools in the meantime. you don't want to go there when it starts only to have trouble ;P

Exactly, I'm making a quick practice game ahead of time to get in the swing of things.

I'll probably participate, and do poorly as always.

I'll be interested to try your game when it's done! Persistence gets respect from me.

how do you find your main idea for the contest ? Are you brainstorming ? do you have a story to tell ? some new gameplay to try making ?

It's often best to sort of look at the top themes, and sort of think of what game you might make to them. As Ludum Dare theme voting isn't over yet, right now its best to sort of think about what general sort of game you would like making. But it might need to be broad as we don't know the contest theme yet, but for instance, I am set on making a 2D horror game, but outside of that what the game actually is will differ greatly depending on what the theme ends up being. I know what tools I decided to use for the job.

Hehe, yeah, I'm only doing it for the practice and fun! That's why I think I will only take part in the Jam. Sounds more relaxed and the rules aren't as strict. Maybe next time I'll take a shot at the Compo :p

Oh, nice. I'd like to see/hear some of your games if you don't mind!

Jam's are definitely not bad, and they are more lenient, with the extra time, multi-person ability, and the ability to use assets from other things you've worked on.

I honestly had to compose music for a game for the first time for Ludum Dare 26, I wasn't that great but scored higher in that field than anyone else as most games didn't even have music.

This was something I had done quickly for the game I had composed for Ludum Dare 26 a little over a year ago, which was my first time composing. Was mainly sound scraping with what I could put together in the small time I had.

I have had more practice recently and been making more melodic music. Here was something I quickly whipped up for a project about a month ago for a quick loopable thing.

Dusk Golem

someone has to do it. Musical Horror Game.

now i want the theme to be Musical Horror.

Trust me, I've thought about it. Though that might be a bit much for two days, and wouldn't be possible solo unless you were a good singer. XD

Thanks for the reminder. I've only actually submitted something for one or two...my main obstacle is that if I manage to make the time commitment and dedication work for this, it's that much time and dedication that I could have put towards my actual game project instead of getting practice on some other random engine. =P

It's how it rolls, why I backed out last year, but want to this year. Short side projects are always fun though.

Koozek

I honestly had to compose music for a game for the first time for Ludum Dare 26, I wasn't that great but scored higher in that field than anyone else as most games didn't even have music.

This was something I had done quickly for the game I had composed for Ludum Dare 26 a little over a year ago, which was my first time composing. Was mainly sound scraping with what I could put together in the small time I had.

I have had more practice recently and been making more melodic music. Here was something I quickly whipped up for a project about a month ago for a quick loopable thing.

Sounds good! I love creepy, ambient stuff like the first one. The second, melodic one is also nice. Excited to see your LD results here!
I've been making videogame-y music in my spare time, too, for a while and I'd love to make my own music/sound for my games someday :p

Dusk Golem

Sounds good! I love creepy, ambient stuff like the first one. The second, melodic one is also nice. Excited to see your LD results here!
I've been making videogame-y music in my spare time, too, for a while and I'd love to make my own music/sound for my games someday :p

Yai, I'll have one quick project right before the dare as doing a quick practice project which we've decided is about an urban legend in the woods.

Be interested to see and play everyone's entries here, will leave feedback on each~

Dusk Golem

Final Theme Voting has begun!

Themes to vote on:

Beneath the Surface
Break the Rules
Contrast
Control More Than One
Death is Useful
Deep Space
Everything Breaks
Everything is Connected
Generations
Glitch
Isolation
It's NOT supposed to do THAT!
It Never Ends
Night and Day
Ruins
Time Does Not Exist
Two Worlds
We Must Go Deeper
You Are The World
You Are Your Own Enemy

Kyari

All I'm actually capable of using is Adventure Game Studio, but I might try and throw something together if I can make the theme work. Excited to see how this goes either way.

Dusk Golem

All I'm actually capable of using is Adventure Game Studio, but I might try and throw something together if I can make the theme work. Excited to see how this goes either way.

That's okay, in my opinion engine doesn't matter. To most players the engine the game is made in doesn't matter, what matters is the final product, and different people have different skills. Ludum Dare is mostly for passion project people, on-top of that, so work with what you know.

----

On my end I've been working on a warm-up game I've been called, "The Wailing Woods". Finished up the music for it yesterday in five hours. I'm not musician but I think I do an okay job at fulfilling the role and have gotten good at making quick loopable things that fit the mood.

Samples of the work (April 23rd):
Credits Theme
But For a Moment
Woods Whistle 1
Echo
And something I refer to as non-music, Unlogic.

Not the best music ever, but proud to have made these and five other tracks in five hours. Hope it comes as easily for whatever the Ludum Dare game project is, and hope to continue practicing and improving and get this warm-up project done before the contest. I'll post it here if I happen to get it done before the contest in the next two days.

I got up super early today so I'll probably use tonight just to brainstorm a game idea and maybe get the basic loop started, and then go to bed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I plan on watching the stream for at least part of the event. Looking forward to seeing what folks come up with!

Dusk Golem

A little more than six hours before the event starts. If anyone is interested in hopping aboard the event, this will be the last period to consider or be notified of it before it starts.

Dusk Golem

i have a feeling the theme will be "We must go deeper"

sorta want to see the deep space. just so someone can do space sims ;P

Voting just went down as 30 minutes left, so all that's left is to see what theme wins.

I think Break the Rules or Beneath the Surface will win, though part of that was earlier votes. But should be interesting, long as I can make a horror game about it, I'm fine. -3-
I could make a horror game around anything.

Dusk Golem

Theme: Spreadsheets.

Go :p

Horror game where you have to monotonously fill in spread sheets, like a typing helper where you get rewarded on time and accuracy, however as you continue typing weird messages start coming into the mix, and other messages beckoning you start appearing in spread-sheet slots you haven't interacted with. There is no noise at first but as it progresses ambient noises start occurring in the game that are designed to sound as if they're behind you as you're typing that seem to tell some story of events that are occurring away from your typing, but still you continue. If we can have time to kick in some sanity effects to spread-sheet typing, that'd be awesome.

Ludum Dare 29 has begun!!

f5E3pW4.gif

Countdown has started.

t1398733200z1.png

Good luck everyone!!

Koozek

Hmm, not really feeling the theme :/ The first thing that came to my mind was too close to Verge's idea. Dying takes you beneath the level's "water"-surface, where you have to explore and solve puzzles in to make progress in the real world above.

Dusk Golem

So about to hit the hay on the first day, basically got character sprites and music done. However, liking how it’s coming out. My game stars a character I am tentatively calling ‘Marshmallow Monk’, and an antagonistic spider who can possess different things. The character is escaping death row and is taking to the underground… But also using the theme in a secondary, more psychological way outside of the obvious.

Simply drawn sprites for Marshmallow Monk & Raspberry Spider:
MC.png
Gooey-Abomination.png

And completed 16 music tracks, which is admittedly what most of what the first few hours consisted of. Here are a few samples:

My Little Marshmallow
Underground Drone
Crystallize
Circus
Skull
Stepping in Goop
Gooey Abomination

Along with 9 other songs. Very odd music, but the game is odd so hope it works.

Also, not in the game obviously, but some people in the stream I’ve been holding have been doodling Marshmallow Monk, so I’m happy. Credit here to CookieCyatt & Xenobladebuster:

Started a bit later, thinking of a game concept now.

I do like the theme though, although I wouldn't go for the easiest interpretation.

Top Bottom