• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ludum Dare 29 Game-Development Competition

Blizzard

Banned
I had to be out for most of the day, so I lost a lot of hours today, but hopefully it was worth it to get out in the sun. :p

I think I have a silly idea fleshed out, but whether I can get it anywhere close to finished in time is another question.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I somewhat wish I had more time to do more and sprite more, but I do think I’ll be able to finish it if I focus on wrapping up tomorrow. However, great progress today. while not a looker got a few shots of the game. All spriting was artwork was done today outside of the MC and spider, so not bad for doodle-spriting in a single day I feel.

CYE1.png
CYE2.png
CYE3.png
CYE4.png
CYE5.png
CYE6.png

I don’t expect to do that great as the game definitely has flaws, but still excited to see what people think of it.

I somewhat wish I had more time to do more and sprite more, but I do think I’ll be able to finish it if I focus on wrapping up tomorrow. However, great progress today. while not a looker got a few shots of the game. All spriting was artwork was done today outside of the MC and spider, so not bad for doodle-spriting in a single day I feel.

I don’t expect to do that great as the game definitely has flaws, but still excited to see what people think of it.

Looks cool but i think it would be more interesting to see how scary the game is.

Making a game in 24 hours(Started too late) is damn hard.

Here is mine :

Neogaf similiar logo was not intented. Its just a Mountain in front of the sun.

Looks cool but i think it would be more interesting to see how scary the game is.

Making a game in 24 hours(Started too late) is damn hard.

Here is mine :

Neogaf similiar logo was not intented. Its just a Mountain in front of the sun.

orange sun and grey mountain amirite.

I started way too late and probably won't be able to finish at this rate, but I've had fun even just trying to come up with ideas.

Saganator

Damn, been wanting to participate in a one of these things, wish I saw this earlier. Is there a website that has a calendar for all these different jams?

TheBera

Fourth LD for me, even if I'm not really fond of the theme this time...
I'm going for a simple sidescrolling shooter so I don't have to lose time with level design as I usually do! Here's a screen:
WAH917a.png

You're an antibiotic that has to kill every bacteria inside some human's blood...yeah! I really love all the built-in effects present inside Game Maker Studio :p

Nezzhil

Hi!

We're in too. We participate in the Ludum dare 27 and 28. This time we're developing a submarine simulator (roguelike + puzzle + time management).

We aren't sure if it'll be finished at time because the Random Event Generator is at very early stage... >__<

Finally, a pic of the Day 2 progress.
DayTwo.png

Hyoukokun

Here's my entry (going Game Jam on this one, since I'm using some freesound.org samples):

z99F1cw.png

One Cold Night

One cold night, you feel a rumbling to the north. There is a great commotion.

Soon after, your master leads you outside, to the base of the mountain. He places three objects -

a scarf,

a hat,

an old shoe​

on the snow in front of you. &#8220;Go,&#8221; he says, &#8220;save them.&#8221; You do not understand his words, but still you know what you must do.

You can download a Windows version here. If you're on another platform and/or already have love2D installed, here's the .love file.

(Actually, could someone give the Windows file a go and let me know if it's working? I think it's packed correctly, but it'd be good to test it on a machine that doesn't have love2D installed.)

EDIT: and the actual submission. Going to try to get a GIF of the game in action together here.

Dusk Golem

Here's my entry (going Game Jam on this one, since I'm using some freesound.org samples):

z99F1cw.png

One Cold Night

You can download a Windows version here. If you're on another platform and/or already have love2D installed, here's the .love file.

(Actually, could someone give the Windows file a go and let me know if it's working? I think it's packed correctly, but it'd be good to test it on a machine that doesn't have love2D installed.)

EDIT: and the actual submission. Going to try to get a GIF of the game in action together here.

Looks cool (pun intended), I'll play shortly. But link to your game-page, I will be leaving feedback~

Ugh... I barely finished. I didn't start until around noon the day after. I was too tired to stay awake the night before and I had errands in the morning. And of course I had to take a ~4 hour break to watch UFC. Oh well!

Here's mine: Jetpack Caverns

I had other enemies and powerups I wanted to add. I also wanted a boss. The plan was to set a bomb inside the base and then exit within the time limit, but I didn't get that far along so I just added an "Exit" block at the very bottom of the cavern. I was running so late I threw the level together in the last thirty minutes, so it isn't very thoughtful. I'm really bad at these 48 hours things.

I actually prioritized getting a piece of music done this morning, though, since I ran out of time to make music last time: LD29

Blizzard

Banned
As predicted, I already saw a UE4 dungeon crawler, Minecraft-themed, so there are probably dungeons around. The most creative name use I saw so far was "Ben Eath: The Surf Ace".

I made "Lost Villages", a very simple archeology game.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21575115/ld29/web/index.html (Ludum Dare site http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=12278)

I had more ideas about the artifacts making you switch to a mode where you sweep the ground to reveal an archeology-style plot of a building, and each level ending with the ghost moving through the level and transforming everything as it moves into the original buildings, ground covered with grass, etc. The tombstone would produce a church, the cobblestone would produce a road, and I would need procedural generation to do the layout.

My one valid excuse is that I spent a lot of hours yesterday at a preplanned event instead of working, but even if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have done the more advanced stuff I thought about. At the very least, I think I got everything wrapped up and submitted in a playable state.

Next time I should hopefully be better prepared since I can leverage what I learn with Flixel each time around.

KNT-Zero

Hi!

We're in too. We participate in the Ludum dare 27 and 28. This time we're developing a submarine simulator (roguelike + puzzle + time management).

We aren't sure if it'll be finished at time because the Random Event Generator is at very early stage... >__<

Finally, a pic of the Day 2 progress.
DayTwo.png
Whoooooooa. Is that an FTL clone? You are making something THAT vast in a weekend? That's ballsy...I applaud.

BTW, My entry is here! A little rhythm game called DeepStep :p
Check it oot!
I wanna try so many games from you guys...:p

Here is mine http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=37071

I had more problems with learning Gimp than programming. Could have been so much better with more time and more motivation but its my first Ludum Dare so i thought "Fuck it... release it... somebody might like it."

And getting the Unity Web thing working in Google Drive took me another hour.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=9890

I've rated 15 games so far, and this is my favorite that I have played. It has a great instant dash mechanic, and a lot of really good polished touches in the design. There are a bunch of levels too, 17 overall. Basically my only complaint was that there wasn't much notification that you finished the last level, and clicking immediately restarts it.

Yeah its a great game. Put are those orc throwing shit at me?

Dusk Golem

Posted all the GAF'er made games posted so far in the OP.

Going to play so many games tomorrow, but have played 37 games tonight. Here's a few that have stuck out to me personally so far (in no order but when they pop up on my que to remind me of them)

Bornard is the weirdest game I've played so much. More of an experience than a game.

In Hiding has been the tensest game I've played so far.

Deep Calls to Deep

And a few others I feel like mentioning:

Metal Meter Madness I found addicting

Blunderer is trippy.

Kracken's Island is fun if not a bit easy.

WHAT IS IN THE SWAMP? has a cool graphical style to it (though the core game is flawed but interesting):

35984-shot0.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Horror game where you have to monotonously fill in spread sheets, like a typing helper where you get rewarded on time and accuracy, however as you continue typing weird messages start coming into the mix, and other messages beckoning you start appearing in spread-sheet slots you haven't interacted with. There is no noise at first but as it progresses ambient noises start occurring in the game that are designed to sound as if they're behind you as you're typing that seem to tell some story of events that are occurring away from your typing, but still you continue. If we can have time to kick in some sanity effects to spread-sheet typing, that'd be awesome.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Saganator

Also, the music I made for my game (in YT video form).

For whipping it up in five hours, I don't think I did too shabby. It's the area I expect to score the highest in, at least.

Pretty good work man.

Are there any GAF teams? All the games on the OP seem to be solo projects. Would be cool to find someone else around my skill level (beginner/intermediate), to do a jam with, or even someone a bit more skilled to show me some tricks. The TAG 10 day jam sounds perfect since I work full time.

Dusk Golem

Pretty good work man.

Are there any GAF teams? All the games on the OP seem to be solo projects. Would be cool to find someone else around my skill level (beginner/intermediate), to do a jam with, or even someone a bit more skilled to show me some tricks. The TAG 10 day jam sounds perfect since I work full time.

Many would be willing to if it was arranged (I know I would), but group projects have another four hours to finish their game. One person in this topic at least who posted who's working on a group project.

Nezzhil

Whoooooooa. Is that an FTL clone? You are making something THAT vast in a weekend? That's ballsy...I applaud.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it :) Tomorrow I will begin to play all your games :D

Hi gaf! In our team we don't belive it, but the game is done! This game is a bit FTL, a bit puzzle and a bit time management.
21727-shot1.png

The game isn't easy (at least the first time), but we hope that the game is enjoyable and the player wanna play it again, because we have work really hard to make it replayable. The game events are random and the player have more than one decision to overcome them.

The major problem is that we needed a bit more of time, and the game has suffered of lack of feedback with the player. Hopefully this problem doesn't harm your experience.

You can play it here.

OnPoint

Couldn't get One Cold Night to open :( Gave me an error message and I couldn't get past it.

Played some Close Your Eyes. Has really good atmosphere. The ambient soundtrack definitely does a good job setting the player on edge.

Jetpack Caverns is pretty cool for sure. I would love controller support for this. I'd probably play it all the time if it were fleshed out honestly.

I'll check out more tomorrow night, I gotta hit the hay soon.

Flai

Hey! I just barely finished my jam entry last night. Here it is:

Installation ZA-3

q8fduRx.png

I'm pretty pleased with the results. This was my first game made with Unity and at the same time also the first game with any kind of story or conversations. So yay for that :)

The gameplay is very much lacking though, which is partly because I spent too much time on other things than gameplay and then ran out of time. Also no sounds and I didn't have time to improve the art assets :( But thanks for Unity's post-processing effects, it looks somewhat okay :p

Kyari

Little bit of a late post I know, but I just thought I'd chip in and say that I did in fact get mine done (its terrible). I intend to sit down and play through/judge a bunch of games tonight, but I super needed to take a break from everything after that weekend haha.

I had fun participating though, for sure.

I thought yours was great, ActionRemix. I think I left a comment--I forget. If it means anything to you, I left it in my "Unplayed" folder just so I don't lose track of it and can play it again.

Wensih

A lot of these Ludum Dare games are really great. I've been playing through a couple for the 52 games a year NeoGaf challenge.

Dusk Golem

Ludum Dare results are in!

For my game being so incredibly flawed (in my opinion), I did a lot better than I expected for the 2500 entries.

Coolness: 61%
Placed #454 in Humor
Placed #532 in Mood
Placed #581 in Audio
Placed #912 in Theme
Placed #953 in Graphics
Placed #1054 in Overall
Placed #1060 in Fun
Placed #1079 in Innovation

Blizzard

Banned
Last year I made an art doodler that if I recall correctly had no audio/music and was (reasonably) criticized for it not being a "game". This year I made a game with a win condition, sound effects, and music, yet scored worse in every category but 2 than last year. I'm a bit sad, I didn't even meet my goal of being better than 3/5 overall average score. =(

Coolness 63%
#250 Theme 3.62
#395 Audio 3.00
#577 Humor 2.41
#707 Innovation 2.85
#822 Graphics 2.74
#871 Mood 2.64
#892 Overall 2.83
#939 Fun 2.56

Makai

I am happy

Coolness 100%
#27 Innovation(Jam) 3.98
#127 Overall(Jam) 3.61
#189 Audio(Jam) 3.47
#287 Mood(Jam) 3.23
#303 Fun(Jam) 3.10
#353 Graphics(Jam) 3.43
#435 Theme(Jam) 3.03
#608 Humor(Jam) 1.84

Nezzhil

Last year I made an art doodler that if I recall correctly had no audio/music and was (reasonably) criticized for it not being a "game". This year I made a game with a win condition, sound effects, and music, yet scored worse in every category but 2 than last year. I'm a bit sad, I didn't even meet my goal of being better than 3/5 overall average score. =(
Don't be sad :( Keep working and have fun with it, the results will come sooner or later!

I think that Pressure got some solid results. I'm very happy.
Coolness 91%
#39 Theme (Jam) 3.92
#80 Innovation (Jam) 3.73
#154 Mood (Jam) 3.57
#224 Overall (Jam) 3.44
#260 Graphics (Jam) 3.65
#277 Audio (Jam) 3.27
#339 Fun (Jam) 3.04
#415 Humor (Jam) 2.45

Top Bottom