• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer article about the cheating business and the millions it makes

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/30/h...llion-dollar-business-of-video-game-cheating/

Zero is a customer service representative for one of the biggest video game cheat providers in the world. To him, at first, I was just another customer. He told me that the site earns approximately $1.25 million a year, which is how it can afford customer service representatives like him to answer questions over TeamSpeak. His estimate is based on the number of paying users online at any given time, the majority of whom, like me, paid for cheats for one game at $10.95 a month. Some pay more for a premium package with cheats for multiple games.

Bohemia Interactive (Arma, DayZ) believes that only 1 percent of online players are willing to spend money to cheat on top of an already expensive hobby. Even by that estimate, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive alone had a potential 25,000 cheaters out of a total of 2.5 million unique players last month. Put on your green accountant visor, add up the player-bases of all the other popular multiplayer games cheat providers are servicing (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Rising Storm), and you’ll see a massively profitable market.

I Googled “Counter-Strike: Global Offensive cheats,” and quickly ended up at a user-friendly cheat provider. Based on the size of its community and traffic, it’s one of the biggest. I'm going to call it Ultra Cheats, a fake name, to protect the anonymity of the sources I talked to. Those sources, like Zero, have also had their online handles altered.

Ultra Cheats didn't accept credit (other sites did), so I used PayPal to buy a one-month subscription for CS:GO cheats for $10.95. This gave me access to the site’s VIP forums where I could talk to other members, administrators, cheat coders, and download Ultra Cheats’ cheat loader, which checks in with its DRM server. It also gave me access to around-the-clock technical and customer support via TeamSpeak.

John Gibson, president of Tripwire Interactive (Rising Storm, Killing Floor) told me plenty of cheaters feel differently. “We see a spike in hackers after we have a sale on one of our games,” he said. “Their last 10 Steam accounts have been banned, and the game is on sale for $3, so they’ll buy 10 copies for $30 on 10 different accounts and they’ll keep cheating.”

On March 20, over 2,500 members logged into the Ultra Cheats’ forums, almost all of whom are plainly listed as paying for standard or more expensive cheat packages. At an average of $10 per user a month, Ultra Cheats makes $300,000 a year. Add to this the fact that the forum has almost 150,000 members overall (though we don’t know how many are active, paying users), the Brazil site, and resellers, and it’s not hard to imagine Ultra Cheats breaking a million dollars a year. Slayer declined to share the exact number of their active users.

Great read. More at the link.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Great article - I was honestly surprised to see that people pay so much for cheats. What I took from it was the end of the article, which argued that better matchmaking processes caused people to feel like cheating wasn't needed to enjoy the game.

If matchmaking worked perfectly and everyone always felt like a capable player up against equally skilled opponents, maybe there would be fewer of the closet cheaters that make Ultra Cheats a profitable business. When matchmaking works, you won't win every game, but you'll never feel dominated. It’s like a friendly neighborhood basketball game. When it doesn't work, it feels like being mercilessly dunked on by LeBron James. That's not fun.

I hope we see more articles like this one soon.

Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun. He said cheating is a rush, similar to the one he got when he used to deface websites. “In life, you’re always going to have rebels,” he said. “It’s like coming up to someone and asking, 'Why do you rape or kill?' But in this case it’s cheating.”

Just. Wow.

Dr Dogg

Damn you shackles was just going to post that quote! :)

Oh well here's another that caught my eye

Slayer said that they've heard from a few other people with disabilities who use cheats this way. “It enables them to enjoy a game like you or I would normally, without cheats,” he said. But even if there weren't players with disabilities cheating to “rise to a normal level of play,” as Prophet calls it, the reality is some players will always feel that they want special assistance.

Certainly doesn't make cheating any less morally questionable but it does say an awful lot about the current state of game design within the multiplayer space. That and the matchmaking issue noted show that some change is long overdue in how to make a fun but fair yet competitive or socially engaging multiplayer game for varying skill levels.

Now this is some real game journalism: real investigative work done, professional and neutral tone, interesting things said by people with perspective so different from ours. I wish we had more articles like that.

Keasar

Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun. He said cheating is a rush, similar to the one he got when he used to deface websites. “In life, you’re always going to have rebels,” he said. “It’s like coming up to someone and asking, 'Why do you rape or kill?' But in this case it’s cheating.”

what.gif

I....I don't know what to say to this.

I was totally oblivious to this. The first eye opener was when Gabe posted that statement on reddit which was mentioned in the article.

And yeah that 'rape and kill' part was...um...something...

Just. Wow.

yeah, that is one way to put it.

never really cheated online, once i realize i am on the edge to do it, i realize i'm probably done with this game and should try something else in my backlog.

cheating in single player games is fine for me though.

Don't really have that much free time so cheatengine is a good friend for skipping mining shit in Mass Effect games, or to create the perfect dude in my player for nba 2k.

Great piece, but kind of disheartening. I don't know why people feel enough of a desire to cheat to pay for it, even the 50 year old who does it to keep up with his kids was a flimsy excuse.

Interesting to see things from that side though.

ArjanN

Just. Wow.

Yeah, he seems pretty delusional.

Great article - I was honestly surprised to see that people pay so much for cheats. What I took from it was the end of the article, which argued that better matchmaking processes caused people to feel like cheating wasn't needed to enjoy the game.

Eh, I only sort of agree with that matchmaking comment. Even if the matchmaking was perfect there would still be lots of sore losers. Bad matchmaking is no excuse for cheating anyway.

yeah, that is one way to put it.
never really cheated online, once i realize i am on the edge to do it, i realize i'm probably done with this game and should try something else in my backlog.

cheating in single player games is fine for me though.

Don't really have that much free time so cheatengine is a good friend for skipping mining shit in Mass Effect games, or to create the perfect dude in my player for nba 2k.

Cheating in singleplayer is fine and something completely different though. In something like CS:GO you're actively ruining other people's experience every time you cheat.

inm8num2

Other than the apparent profitability to those creating and selling the cheats, I don't understand the appeal of paying for cheats (unless it's for games that give you rewards/items/etc. for winning or performing better).

Anyway, yea that sucks.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Fascinating, insightful read. I felt like I was reading about an article about organized crime (which is what this cheating nonsense feels like).

I agree with the comments about how matchmaking in online gaming could be improved. CS:GO is a great example of how much fun an evenly-matched game can be, and how abysmal a one-sided match is. Not that improving it would kill cheating or anything, but it would be a step in the right direction.

I'm chalking this one up as another reason to own a PS4 or Xbox One.
Assuming this isn't sarcasm, I'm pretty sure there's cheating in console games, too.

Comparing video game cheating to rape and murder...

Falcs

Banned
Fucking cheaters.. If you suck then too bad. Deal with it.
I suck at RTS games, so I stay the fuck out if them. I don't go looking for cheats.

HoosTrax

The ones that buy multiple copies of a game to cheat in, because their previous accounts got VAC-banned, are on a whole other pathological level. I guess at that point, that "rush" that comes from dominating other human players become the draw, and the $3 or whatever price of a game on sale is basically an admissions ticket to a 2 hour or so high, before they get VAC-banned again.

Also, I wonder whether, when people claim that VAC doesn't work, it's because it's based on heuristics, and it takes a while to update those heuristics to catch new hacks, so you don't see "hackers" (script kiddies really) get banned immediately.

geordiemp

I'm chalking this one up as another reason to own a PS4 or Xbox One.

One of the main reasons why, in every thread about why not switch from console to PC, I answered cheats / FOV changes / Macros / Keyboard and mouse vs controller.

People can hack in console games but being a closed system is much more difficult, and normally stupif stuff like stats in save files...

But I have never been cheated in an online console game (crossed fingers_)

there aren't enough reaction .GIFs in the world....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Comparing video game cheating to rape and murder...

The more disturbing part is that he's making a comparison between something he profits from and rape/murder in an effort to justify what he does.

I'm not so bad! I'm just like those murderers, and everybody loves them right?

geordiemp

It's not sarcasm, would you like to point out all the aim bots, wall hacks, speed hacks and the like for Xbox One or PS4?

Do what the article says, type in the google search term and look at the hacks available.

Nearly all of them where online games through steam / PC.

Seen a few of the crazy COD ones (zero gravity and people flying around) and always shrugged assuming it was PC.. Guess I was right.

Foffy

Banned
I think the last game I cheated in was Hitman Absolution, and that was to use a trainer to alter the AI and their disguise-seeing abilities to a threshold similar to previous games. And that really didn't have multiplayer.

Never in a million fucking years would I ever pay money for cheats. What in the fuck is the point of that?

The more disturbing part is that he's making a comparison between something he profits from and rape/murder in an effort to justify what he does.

I'm not so bad! I'm just like those murderers, and everybody loves them right?

It's interesting that he believes what he does amounts to a felony...and has NO PROBLEM with that.

GoaThief

PS3 and 360 both had their own lot of cheaters and you're kidding yourself if you think the same won't happen going forward.
Where did I mention either of those consoles? I specifically stated PS4 and Xbox One.

At some point it will happen, but probably not for years and definitely not in the near future.

geordiemp

PS3 and 360 both had their own lot of cheaters and you're kidding yourself if you think the same won't happen going forward.

Yep if you have a modded / hacked / chipped console and altered games and played on copied disks...

Ps4 and XB1 with 50 GB Blu ray and more complex security should be harder...Not seen anything thus far,

In comparison PC cheating seems easy.

Damn you shackles was just going to post that quote! :)

Oh well here's another that caught my eye

Certainly doesn't make cheating any less morally questionable but it does say an awful lot about the current state of game design within the multiplayer space. That and the matchmaking issue noted show that some change is long overdue in how to make a fun but fair yet competitive or socially engaging multiplayer game for varying skill levels.

Pretty much. They put their satisfaction from victory above everyone's else they come in contact with (not to mention this can domino into more cheaters from feeling one needs to cheat)

Copons

Great stuff really.

I was always curious about how those cheats work, and everytime there is a vote to kick an alleged cheater it always feel like I'm surrounded by violent criminals or something. :D

So, even just for pictures of wallhacking, it was worth. Even worthier because holy crap I couldn't possibly imagine it was a money business, but I always assumed it was freeware stuff. :O

tokkun

Gibson told me that, legally, it’s not worth going after sites like Ultra Cheats. Most of them are based out of Russia, China (Ultra Cheats is registered in Beijing), or other places where extradition is, in Gibson's words, “questionable.” At the very least, Tripwire would have to pay another lawyer in that country, making it prohibitively expensive and complicated.

Criminal justice systems, perhaps understandably, aren't preoccupied with people cheating in online games. “Especially when it’s international,” Gibson said. “Then you’re talking about the FBI and Interpol. If someone stole $10 million in diamonds, call them. If someone is hacking your game, they don’t care.”

More to the point: What law is being broken?

Nzyme32

Great article.

Gabe Newell talked about subscriptions and DRM in place for aquiring cheats, and this system was used in identification and banning via VAC. Kind of crazy how many people would actually pay for that ability. Thankfully VAC is pretty brillaint to date, so I never have problems.

Although, I loved seeing the Dark Souls 2 threads from previously banned people through VAC not being able to play the game. While VAC isn't meant to block other games like that, part of me thinks it is a brilliant penalty to really make cheating go away.

And after all if you wanna have retarded fun, go to unsecured servers of play around in stuff like gary's mod etc

Yep if you have a modded / hacked / chipped console and altered games and played on copied disks...

Ps4 and XB1 with 50 GB Blu ray and more complex security should be harder...Not seen anything thus far,

In comparison PC cheating seems easy.

What does Blu ray have to do with anything?

Aesius

Cheating in multiplayer is a very unsatisfying experience.

Back in the day (I was about 13 at the time), I managed to get my hands on an actual working trainer for Age of Empires 2 multiplayer. 99% of them were fake or would crash the game, and the ones that actually worked were closely guarded secrets.

So obviously, obtaining one at a time when I desperately wanted to win a lot of multiplayer games was a godsend.

The only major thing it did reliably was remove the fog of war from the map, so I could see everything that my opponent was doing at all times.

It did give me a huge advantage for the week or so that I used it, but each win seemed less satisfying and each loss felt even worse.

Soon enough, they released a patch and it stopped working, but I had stopped using it by that point (it also wasn't 100% reliable and would still occasionally crash the game).

I have no doubt that there were others in existence, though. I believe there was one that slowly trickled extra resources into your economy so as to make it mostly untraceable.

Roland1979

A part of me wish cheating in-game could be prosecuted by law, divided into serious offences and minor. For instances, glitching and boosting for a short while is not a hardcore cheat and influence other players far less (well some glitches do) and less direct (and should be a official warning first). Using aim-bots and wall-hacks for weeks, months on end does seriously ruin it for other players. Not saying people should go to jail for this but letting a aim-botter pay a hefty fine might encourage most of them. Not saying all of this is realistic, just the way i like to see it be handled.

Anura

Why do I rape or kill? Well there is obviously a complex answer for this... The answer is I don't.

DocSeuss

How do people get the money to cheat like this?

I still don't understand why more people don't think "wow, I'm awesome, I did this" is the most compelling human emotion there is. Cheating isn't really WINNING. It's admitting you're not good enough to compete.

Taker34

Banned
A part of me wish cheating in-game could be prosecuted by law, divided into serious offences and minor. For instances, glitching and boosting for a short while is not a hardcore cheat and influence other players far less and less direct (and should be a official warning first). Using aim-bots and wall-hacks for weeks, months on end does seriously ruin it for other players. Not saying people should go to jail for this but letting a aim-botter pay a hefty fine might encourage most of them. Not saying all of this is realistic, just the way i like to see it be handled.

Whoa careful. Glitches are entirely the devs fault and boosters can be easily reported. Your ideas sound too reactionary, imo.

kirblar

The comparison is extreme, but that personality type that gets off on successfully breaking rules/boundaries really does exist.

I have never been able to understand the psychology of cheating and it's appeal.

The comparison is extreme, but that personality type that gets off on successfully breaking rules/boundaries really does exist.

That really seems like that's it. They get off on breaking rules, even if they're trivial in nature. I wonder if it's the same reason some famous wealthy people are caught shoplifting.

NewGame

Banned
“We see a spike in hackers after we have a sale on one of our games,” he said. “Their last 10 Steam accounts have been banned, and the game is on sale for $3, so they’ll buy 10 copies for $30 on 10 different accounts and they’ll keep cheating.”

Welp that's interesting. So it pays not to actually prevent the cheating?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The only game I ever encountered cheaters on, like using tools to specifically cheat vs. exploiting game code (COD infinite care packages) was Delta Force 2.

That game was amazing online, and while I didn't play many others during that time, felt really revolutionary. At the same time, having 3-5 players that literally could jump 2000 feet in the air and spam automatic grenade launchers down on the map was a bit annoying, but not game breaking. The teleport knifers though were the true sin of that game.

Otherwise, I've never been wall hacked, aimbotted, or anything like that. I also don't see the appeal. How is that fun?

Mithos

Whoa careful. Glitches are entirely the devs fault and boosters can be easily reported. Your ideas sound too reactionary, imo.

If I payed for the game, I should be able to play as I wish. If I only want to shoot at Taker34 in any multiplayer match s/he and I am in together that's something I should be able to do without being punished.

If I setup a multiplayer match between friends to "boost" my character, that should be allowed to since I payed for the game.

Hell I think I actually just did "boost" myself in 2 games on Wii U, sat up multiplayer match with invite only and soloed until wanted result was achieved.

Roland1979

You misunderstand. Glitches are their fault The act of glitching not. Maybe look up what glitching is first. It warms my heart to see the defense force jump in. Of course people are entitled to their own opinion, but if you boost (which is cheating and can result in bans, including your whole Steam account) or abuse glitches to gain a advantage don't complain someone is wall hacking you.

L00P

iboB22P8Maupic.jpg

Top Bottom