• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer article about the cheating business and the millions it makes

GoaThief

The point is it's a stopgap as anything else is, so it's not a very good reason in the end.
Err, a stopgap that will more than likely last years before the hacks arrive, it's a perfectly good reason to want a next gen console.

It's not like it has to be either or...

Ilúvatar

Good article. I personally would love to see the day when VAC is able to rid the thousands of cheating scum from CS:GO matchmaking, but alas.

Still trying to make sense of this quote: "Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun."

That belies a horrible sense of flawed perspective.

Err, a stopgap that will more than likely last years before the hacks arrive, it's a perfectly good reason to want a next gen console.

The likeliness of that timeframe remains to be seen, while the eventuality of it happening is all but certain. It doesn't have to be an either or, I agree, which is why the original statement just seemed short-sighted for what has little chance of lasting.

Zarx

Still trying to make sense of this quote: "Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun."

That belies a horrible sense of flawed perspective.

For some people winning is the only thing that matters. They don't care how, they just always want to beat everyone else. I imagine they are sad people.

John Gibson, president of Tripwire Interactive (Rising Storm, Killing Floor) told me plenty of cheaters feel differently. “We see a spike in hackers after we have a sale on one of our games,” he said. “Their last 10 Steam accounts have been banned, and the game is on sale for $3, so they’ll buy 10 copies for $30 on 10 different accounts and they’ll keep cheating.”

WHY!!?

Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun. He said cheating is a rush, similar to the one he got when he used to deface websites. “In life, you’re always going to have rebels,” he said. “It’s like coming up to someone and asking, 'Why do you rape or kill?' But in this case it’s cheating.”

WHAT!?

I...I just don't get it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did he just compare raping to cheating? What.

Boogdud

This is why I just can't get into competitive games anymore. It's amazing how naive people are that they don't think this stuff exists. I had several friends that just did not believe it, even after showing them that the subscription services existed.

Matchmaking isn't going to fix this by any stretch. These people want to dominate any game they play, they don't care how good or bad the competition is.

Competitive games, especially fps, attract these types of folks like flies.

ArjanN

Did he just compare raping to cheating? What.

The funniest part is he did that in defense of cheating.

This is why I just can't get into competitive games anymore. It's amazing how naive people are that they don't think this stuff exists. I had several friends that just did not believe it, even after showing them that the subscription services existed.

Matchmaking isn't going to fix this by any stretch. These people want to dominate any game they play, they don't care how good or bad the competition is.

Competitive games, especially fps, attract these types of folks like flies.

Eh, I've played a ton of CS:GO over the last couple of months again, and cheaters seem pretty rare.

Qassim

It's rare I ever come across a cheater in a game, and I play primarily on PC. And when you do, PC multiplayer games (ones worth playing) let you get rid of cheaters swiftly.

Boogdud

Eh, I've played a ton of CS:GO over the last couple of months again, and cheaters seem pretty rare.

"It's amazing how naive people are that they don't think this stuff exists"

It's because most of the people that are doing it aren't trolling, they're just getting good scores and winning matches.

I think many people confuse cheating with griefing. Griefers are the ones that have the 50:1 kdr and dominate a match to the point where everyone is calling him out. Cheaters do it without you ever really knowing.

Usobuko

Banned
I see it less as cheat to win, but more as cheat to fuck around and mess with others. That's the inherent adrenaline they derived from the activity.

Omega

Banned
Also, this is why fuck Valve. stop putting CS on sale. but they dont care, they just want more money

People toggle. Essentially they'll have their cheats for X number of rounds and then go back to normal.

It's a lot easier to hide your hacking when you're 30-20 as opposed to 65-5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Slayer said that they've heard from a few other people with disabilities who use cheats this way. “It enables them to enjoy a game like you or I would normally, without cheats,” he said. But even if there weren't players with disabilities cheating to “rise to a normal level of play,” as Prophet calls it, the reality is some players will always feel that they want special assistance.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Omega Rex said:
Also, this is why fuck Valve. stop putting CS on sale.

I kinda agree. But it isn't really Valve's fault that the cheaters take advantage of the sale. It really should be a hardware ban or something but that's impossible with PC different configs and being able to remove one part to have a totally different hardware id.

Is this article talking about trainers? I use it in singleplayer games whenever I can find it, makes games like gta fun and helps me trim my backlog of +200 faster. I don't do multiplayer on pc.

Scottiths

Banned
If someone cheats in this day and age why not just patch the game to prevent that cheat?

I am pretty sure they do patch the games. The problem here is this company is making money selling cheats so they can pay coders to work around the patches. It will never be hack proof and I imagine that at a certain point the code to stop cheating will actually start interfering with the game.

edit:
That's bullshit and you know it.

I kinda agree. But it isn't really Valve's fault that the cheaters take advantage of the sale. It really should be a hardware ban or something but that's impossible with PC different configs and being able to remove one part to have a totally different hardware id.

Yes, but making someone blow even more money to keep modding their computer will at least keep some of the more casual people at bay. Combine that with an IP ban perhaps?

Azar

Is this article talking about trainers? I use it in singleplayer games whenever I can find it, makes games like gta fun and helps me trim my backlog of +200 faster. I don't do multiplayer on pc.
Nope. It's all about multiplayer. We focused on Counter-Strike, but most of the discussion with the people who run the cheat site also pertains to other games like Battlefield. Pretty much every competitive FPS has working hacks out there.

stef t97

CoD4 came out in 2007 and was filled with hackers. Thata was what a year or two after the consoles came out? Barely something to brag about.

I honestly had no idea there are paid services for cheating. Good article, thanks for sharing.

I hadn't known about this till I started playing Rust... then I'd visit their forums and literally see people complain about being "unjustly" banned... Then the forum members would go "investigate" and find that 90% of them had accounts with identical names on these subscription cheat sites, some with direct posts asking about the ban they received on the cheat forums.

Cheaters aren't just jerks, they are completely without shame and most will continue to lie even when very clearly caught.

Hellshy.

Zero said that if it wasn't for hacking, games wouldn't be fun. He said cheating is a rush, similar to the one he got when he used to deface websites. “In life, you’re always going to have rebels,” he said. “It’s like coming up to someone and asking, 'Why do you rape or kill?' But in this case it’s cheating.”
what.gif

I....I don't know what to say to this.

Had the same response to that as well lol

animus82

Banned
Fucking cheaters.. If you suck then too bad. Deal with it.
I suck at RTS games, so I stay the fuck out if them. I don't go looking for cheats.

I'm with you. If I suck at something, I either work hard and get better at it or I stop playing that stuff.

RTS? too stressful and I'm not fast enough, so I suck. SO I don't play em anymore but I don't cheat because that would diminish the accomplishment and skills of others.

GoaThief

CoD4 came out in 2007 and was filled with hackers. Thata was what a year or two after the consoles came out? Barely something to brag about.
I'm not bragging, why are you so defensive? That new consoles are secure from multiplayer hacks is a truth, one that seems to upset some for whatever reason...

CoD4 came out in November 2007, exactly two years after the 360 was released and it didn't have day one hacks either. Those took about a year to properly gain traction at a conservative guesstimate. That's just about three years. It's a long time, even if you spin at at the very least which would be disingenuous it's still two years. Quite a considerable amount of time.

DryvBy

PC Gamer is one of the few websites I still like reading the articles from. Great read, and really interesting how much "winning" matters to some.

Hearing about the business of cheating isn't nearly as interesting as the people who do it. I wish they had spent more time probing them.

Accoun

Yep if you have a modded / hacked / chipped console and altered games and played on copied disks...

Actually, you could cheat though exploited save files on an unmodded console. At least I've heard so about PS3 Call Of Duty. (also, supposedly there's a lot more COD cheaters on consoles, but I guess it's connected to COD not being that popular on PC in comparison)

I find it ironic that cheat software needs DRM.
If you already are a fucker for providing things that ruin fun for other pople, you can be a fucker to maximize profits, eh?

jrcbandit

I've never understood hacking online games that you play against other people. How is it fun to have the game played for you without using any skill. There isn't a storyline to compete, hard levels to skip, etc.

I subscribe to a cheat website with lifetime membership, no idea if it even has cheats for online games. I use it to get a little bit of extra money or very rarely to get past a hard section like some of the optional hidden content to Guacamelee. I never use the unlimited life except sometimes to heal, leaving it on all the time also defeats the point of playing the game. I mostly just like having extra cash without anything too ridiculous.

GoaThief

If you already are a fucker for providing things that ruin fun for other pople, you can be a fucker to maximize profits, eh?
On a similar note, I'm surprised so many people are trusting with credit cards and personal information.

What's the bet at least a few of these "DRM" hacks are doing more than just copy protection? Data mining is another thing that brings home the bacon, and that's in the grey area of the spectrum... wonder what else is transferred when these phone home?

Well, that sounds like something someone who often plays competitive multiplayer games would say, that's for sure. Probably has used "rape" plenty of times in bad mouthing other players who managed to beat his little cheating ass.

First time I read that last part, I read it as, "Rape, killing, mp video game cheating: their pretty similar and I think it should be okay." HA. What a giant douche.

That’s how I found Zero. After we finished talking, he reminded me to send him the $25 I promised him. I did not at any point say anything that could possibly even suggest that I would pay him for any reason. I asked him if he meant that was something I promised him or something that I should just do. “Both,” he said. “I also advise you not to use this information against me. That wouldn't be wise.”

Ahahahaha!

ArjanN

"It's amazing how naive people are that they don't think this stuff exists"

It's because most of the people that are doing it aren't trolling, they're just getting good scores and winning matches.

I think many people confuse cheating with griefing. Griefers are the ones that have the 50:1 kdr and dominate a match to the point where everyone is calling him out. Cheaters do it without you ever really knowing.

Also, this is why fuck Valve. stop putting CS on sale. but they dont care, they just want more money

People toggle. Essentially they'll have their cheats for X number of rounds and then go back to normal.

It's a lot easier to hide your hacking when you're 30-20 as opposed to 65-5.

Uh yeah, I was already taking that into account. You can often still tell though.

wildfire

Banned
If I payed for the game, I should be able to play as I wish. If I only want to shoot at Taker34 in any multiplayer match s/he and I am in together that's something I should be able to do without being punished.

If I setup a multiplayer match between friends to "boost" my character, that should be allowed to since I payed for the game.

Hell I think I actually just did "boost" myself in 2 games on Wii U, sat up multiplayer match with invite only and soloed until wanted result was achieved.

There is nothing wrong with modding a game you own.

You are totally wrong if you try to impose your mods on other people who expect and paid for a vanilla experience.

Top Bottom