• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimsonland PS4 Remaster announced

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Update:

http://www.crimsonland.com/ (Subscribe to the Beta here)

May 5th 2014 - Crimsonland is coming to Steam and PS4

This monday is a lot better than your average monday: Here's the first trailer, four screenshots, and some shards of information about Crimsonland for PS4 and Steam!

Crimsonland was greenlit for Steam in November 2013. After that we started revamping the game and slowly picking up the pace while we also had to finalize other projects at the same time. In February 2014 we had to admit that the initial 90 day estimate on Steam release was too bold. At that point it became clear that we could release the game on PS4 too so the stakes got higher and we decided to do a much bigger overhaul than initially planned.

Today we have both PS4 and Steam versions working and completely playable with almost 100% new art but a lot work is still needed. We're not disclosing the release dates yet (the rough target is summer 2014), but come back weekly for updates plus interesting articles about the game. You can also order our newsletter from above or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

New trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_EBXpUYX0

Screenshots:
CxcAVWB.jpg
EkPNgwW.jpg

8FA39mL.jpg
2WbZWAk.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original OP:

You may have been wondering what is going on.

As those of you who've been paying attention know, Crimsonland got through that blimey Steam Greenlight process quite some time ago. Yet no word on the Official Site. What on Earth could be going on?

Well I'm glad you asked. To clarify things, here's what's going on. This should clear up everything once and for all:
mystery-box-01.jpg
mystery-box-02.jpg
mystery-box-03.jpg

mystery-box-04.jpg
mystery-box-05.jpg
mystery-box-06.jpg

The whole existence as you know it is about to change. It will all make sense next Monday.
doomsday.jpg

It changes everything.
Remember. Next Monday. 5 days to go.

Source: http://www.crimsonland.com/

The dev has 2 games already out on Vita, so adding to their Vita catalog with the upcoming HD re-release of Crimsonland HD (already confirmed and greenlit for the PC release) only makes sense.

Going by THOSE hints on the official crimsonland website (Ps4 controller, vita stick, Steam logo, game screenshot), I cant imagine this being anything else really, but if it isnt, I am going to be an incredibly sad poster. Anyway, I couldnt figure out what the "water" image is referring to. Anyone?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Btw, the original released 11 years ago, so I cant blame people for not knowing the game, but its still my all time favourite top down shooter, with varied levels, an awesome upgrade system and 10tons of content. Screenshots of the original:

Official blurb for Greenlight:
Haven't played Crimsonland yet? Check out the free trial at http://www.crimsonland.com.

Thousands of aliens, giant spiders, mutant lizards, and more are on the attack - can you survive the onslaught? You will consistently unlock new and better perks that improve your ability to use a devastating arsenal. Crimsonland features 3 modes of play, online high scores, and endless hours of pressure packed fun.

New features planned for the Steam version:

Widescreen support (720p)
Windows, Mac and Linux (at least Ubuntu) support
Sixth episode with 10 new levels.
New Perks.
We make the blow torch actually useful.
Support for Steam achievements and leaderboards.

Current game features:

5 episodes with total of 50 levels giving you hours of intense and fun gameplay
Three thrilling game modes: Quests, Survival, and Rush
Show your skills in Hardcore Quests (available after you complete all regular levels)
Use over 40 game altering Perks to enhance your trooper!
The varied weapon arsenal consisting of over 20 unique weapons that allow you to deal death with plasma, lead, fire and electricity
Fight through thousands of monsters and 5 epic boss fights

Thank you for all the votes and stay tuned for Crimsonland release in Q2 2014!

Toma

Crimsonland is amazing so I'll be very happy if (when) this happens.

I am so happy right now, they cant mean anything else by this. Impossible. And they DO know the platforms already with their releases. Oh god, oh god, oh god, Crimsonland on my Oled Vita with more levels, more perks and achievements, yesssssssssss.

*dances around the room*

..though it IS kinda sad, that a lot of people wont even know anymore what Crimsonland is. 11 years, sheesh.

In any case, good chances we'll have more concrete information on the release, features and maybe some footage next monday.

Toma

Anyone got a clue what the water picture might hint at?

Toma

well Toma is definitely excited... let's party!

He definitely is. Already was excited about the PC HD remaster/rerelease, but on consoles? Lovely, absolutely lovely.

Toma

Nice..
Does it play like the NES Ikari Warriors and Commando?

You dont progress in a single huge level. Its an arena shooter, that offers quite a bit of variety in each level with different enemies, enemy layouts and available weapons. On top of that there are unlockable weapons, items/bonusses and perks, all of which can be are added to the random selection/drop choice in the levels and need to be re-evaluated upon every level up. Once you killed monsters for a certain amount of XP, you can choose a perk, like:

Shooting out flames periodically
50% longer boosts
bigger weapon magazine
Kicking back against melee attacks
poison bullets
...and tons more.

And the levels definitely got challenging on my first time through. This is a video of the survival mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPUFZhnrrN4

Random crazy fact, a friend of mine played through all hardcore levels with this instead of a mouse:
mZPS1tQ.jpg

That was... hardcore hardcore mode.

Toma

Surprised there are only this few people remembering the game.

Donos

Holy shit i remember this game.
Seeing some vids on youtube, i don't remember telekinese and that stuff. I guess it got some good updates after i stopped playing. Wasn't that a freeware game?

Lucifon

Yes! Crimsonland is fantastic. Not fussed about having it on PS4 but on Vita it would be absolutely perfect.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Btw, the original released 11 years ago, so I cant blame people for not knowing the game, but its still my all time favourite top down shooter, with varied levels, an awesome upgrade system and 10tons of content. Screenshots of the original:

Honestly i was a pc gamer 11 years ago and i'm sure i have never heard or seen it before.
From the description(arena, perks etc) it sounds similar to Dracula Undead Awakening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5c6o8amcg
dracula-undead-awakening-4.png

vampires can only be killed by arrows ;)

It only has survival-like modes, there's no story, there are only 3 arenas and it costs 4€, but it's fun and addictive imo, it never leaves my memory card.
It's a minis, so PSP/PS3/Vitabros could buy it while waiting for this. ;)

Toma

Honestly i was a pc gamer 11 years ago and i'm sure i have never heard or seen it before.
From the description(arena, perks etc) it sounds similar to Dracula Undead Awakening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5c6o8amcg
dracula-undead-awakening-4.png

vampires can only be killed by arrows ;)

It only has survival-like modes, there's no story, there are only 3 arenas and it costs 4€, but it's fun and addictive imo, it never leaves my memory card.
It's a minis, so PSP/PS3/Vitabros could buy it while waiting for this. ;)

Kinda weird, because the game was incredibly popular in Germany and Eastern Europe at least. They had among the highest pirate rates back then, which sucked, but in turn also got them a shit ton of exposure.

The game you just mentioned looks cute though, will check out a trailer/video.

Donos

Kinda weird, because the game was incredibly popular in Germany and Eastern Europe at least. They had among the highest pirate rates back then, which sucked, but in turn also got them a shit ton of exposure.

The game you just mentioned looks cute though, will check out a trailer/video.

There was a time when i had no money right before starting to go to university (germany) and could not buy new games or a new decent PC so i searched the Freegame sites and abandoned ware. Crimsonland was leading a lot of top 10 lists from the Free Game sites.

Toma

There was a time when i had no money right before starting to go to university (germany) and could not buy new games or a new decent PC so i searched the Freegame sites and abandoned ware. Crimsonland was leading a lot of top 10 lists from the Free Game sites.

Free? I cant remember it ever being free. It had a demo though, was that the one being advertised there?

Donos

Free? I cant remember it ever being free. It had a demo though, was that the one being advertised there?

Crimsonland was first made free (last freeware version was 1.40), and later became fully paid game (1.9+).
http://phoenix.ee/old-crimsonland-1-02-1-3-0-1-4-0/

And that freeware version had not that much features. That's why i wasn't sure at first if this was the same game i played back then, when i watched some youtube vids today.

Guess it got popular pretty fast, so that the dev wanted to make money of it.

Toma

http://phoenix.ee/old-crimsonland-1-02-1-3-0-1-4-0/

And that freeware version had not that much features. That's why i wasn't sure at first if this was the same game i played back then when i watched some youtube vids today.

Guess it got poluar pretty fast, so that the dev wanted to make money of it.

Oh wow, didnt even know that. But yeah, the game was definitely good enough to be sold. I hope the console releases are successful enough to finally warrant the development of Crimsonland 2.

Toma

For the ones not reading the OP fully: Apparently more info next monday.

Toma

Update:

http://www.crimsonland.com/ (Subscribe to the Beta here)

May 5th 2014 - Crimsonland is coming to Steam and PS4

This monday is a lot better than your average monday: Here's the first trailer, four screenshots, and some shards of information about Crimsonland for PS4 and Steam!

Crimsonland was greenlit for Steam in November 2013. After that we started revamping the game and slowly picking up the pace while we also had to finalize other projects at the same time. In February 2014 we had to admit that the initial 90 day estimate on Steam release was too bold. At that point it became clear that we could release the game on PS4 too so the stakes got higher and we decided to do a much bigger overhaul than initially planned.

Today we have both PS4 and Steam versions working and completely playable with almost 100% new art but a lot work is still needed. We're not disclosing the release dates yet (the rough target is summer 2014), but come back weekly for updates plus interesting articles about the game. You can also order our newsletter from above or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

New trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_EBXpUYX0

Screenshots:

---------------------------

Really nice to see them doing a proper remaster instead of only a steam/console rerelease with the same assets.
So good.

sn00zer

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I was thinking "boy this looks like a game i played years ago"

Toma

After reading through their announcement again, I noticed they never mentioned Vita directly. Weird. Did they only include the Vita picture because of the wireless PS4 play on Vita then? Kinda odd teaser.

Anyway, PS4 Crimsonland still :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I used to play this so much on the PC. Glad to know the devs are still alive and kicking!

Toma

Man I used to play this so much on the PC. Glad to know the devs are still alive and kicking!

Yeah, they were always alive, but decided to develop casual games, which apparently was the right decision business wise at the time, since it kept their head over water. They developed these mindboggingly innovative classics (#sarcasm) after Crimsonland:

bryehn

Yeah, they were always alive, but decided to develop casual games, which apparently was the right decision business wise at the time, since it kept their head over water. They developed these mindboggingly innovative classics (#sarcasm) after Crimsonland:

They have made some pretty good mobile stuff, most notably Azkend and Joining Hands. Boom Brigade was alright too and King Oddball was a decent cross between Cut the Rope and Angry Birds.

Timeaisis

Oh my god the memories. This game had a pretty awesome co-op mode IIRC. I feel like it was also freeware...? It's been a while, though.

I discovered this game from looking for some 3D version of Smash TV in the early 2000s. Brings me back. Definitely will buy this.

EDIT: Was thinking of the very robust free demo.

Toma

What happened to Vita version? And that Vita device pic with Steam and PS4? Remote play?

Thats my guess, but its really kinda weird to tease it like that.

Maybe someone could reach out to them via social platforms, but currently only PS4 and PC are announced as platforms.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I loved King Oddball :)
Thats my guess, but its really kinda weird to tease it like that.

Maybe someone could reach out to them via social platforms, but currently only PS4 and PC are announced as platforms.

#NoVitaNoBuy
I have no PS4 lol

Lucifon

What happened to Vita version? And that Vita device pic with Steam and PS4? Remote play?

Wat :( Was so hyped for a vita version of this. No real interest of sitting and playing it on a home console when the PC version will be so much cheaper and easier to hop in and out of whilst doing other stuff. It fitted the vita so well!

Toma

Wat :( Was so hyped for a vita version of this. No real interest of sitting and playing it on a home console when the PC version will be so much cheaper and easier to hop in and out of whilst doing other stuff. It fitted the vita so well!

Not quite sure either, would be such a weird decision to completely omit Vita for such a game. Maybe surprise Vita announcement somewhere in the future. Does anyone here have Twitter and could ask the devs why the Vita was included in the teaser pictures?
https://twitter.com/10tonsLtd

If they confirm it was only for Remote Play, then I might as well give up on the surprise announcement hope as well.

Donos

Oh my god the memories. This game had a pretty awesome co-op mode IIRC. I feel like it was also freeware...? It's been a while, though.

I discovered this game from looking for some 3D version of Smash TV in the early 2000s. Brings me back. Definitely will buy this.

EDIT: Was thinking of the very robust free demo.
It was initially free, up to version 1.40

Toma

Updates:

May 12th 2014

Last week we announced the shiny new remastered version of Crimsonland coming to PS4 and PC (Steam). However, as some of you have pointed out, we didn't yet state the exact date for the release -- simply the unambiguous "Summer 2014". Officially this seems to mean either June, July, or August. Which is fine, as we are 100 percent sure we will launch the game in this window.

seven-seals.jpg

The last one will be a tasty one, trust us.

But we haven't yet locked down all the features nor crushed all the bugs inherited from the good old Crimsonland codebase. There are lots of unknowns still. For the next few weeks, there will be a new update regarding the progress. New stuff will be revealed. This is something we like to call The Seven Revelations of the New Crimsonland.

The third one will be a tasty one, trust me.

There's more to it though. As we do know some of you are anxiously waiting for this, we decided to do something more.. unorthodox. Hidden on this site, there will always be a link to the next week's Revelation for those who've always wanted to travel in time. And yes, this applies to the this/next week as well. Can you find it?

Anyways. It will be awesome to finally have a new Crimsonland release after all this time. The summer is coming, eh.

Top Bottom