• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DreadOut |OT| Experience the World of Indonesian Horror

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jacobi

Banned
I'm glad the worldwide PC development movement is spreading. This should bring some more creativity into our hobby.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

I remember trying the demo for this a year ago. I'm definitely looking forward to it, because I also am a huge fan of the Fatal Frame games.

Atomski

Cool to see a game out of South East Asia, I keep hoping to see more stuff out of those countries as I love some of the classic stories and mythology they have.

They're going to put indo indie on the map with this one, I enjoyed this immensely, the visuals and the native lore fit so well, I look forward to seeing this on consoles when its completed!

Dusk Golem

I backed this on the assumption that by the time it was released I would've worked up the guts to play it. Might've been a bit optimistic on that point.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Fady K

I understand. I played the demo back when it first came out, but I like to go in mostly blind to horror games as well.

Hello there Dusk. LOVE all of your horror threads. Wish you were active on twitter so I can keep up with all your horror game journeys.

Any idea if the developers are thinking of console ports by the way?

Oh woah, completely forgot about this. Definitely picking it up.

This isn't me doubting the game as I actually think it's a very smart decision for a small-budget indie game, which gets something out for the people interested to play it, gets word of mouth earlier if they enjoy it, and gets feedback for the next 'act', but it also helps explain why this is coming a lot sooner than expected. As such, I'm very curious how long and what sort of content to expect, but I guess as I have it backed I'll be playing it a few days early and can leave ideas of that and impressions here on the 13th. -3-

Also gives them the opportunity to make a little money back and fund development for longer. I just hope the first act isn't rushed, and is of a reasonable length.

Oh yeah, thanks for the very detailed OP Dusk Golem! You make the best threads for horror stuff.

Is that a bonus costume lol?

I remember seeing some previews for this a while ago and thinking it looked pretty cool, but the Act 1/Act 2 thing is disappointing, even if circumstances may have forced the developer's hand. I'd just rather wait until both parts are available before I decide to jump in.

That's one real transparent dress.

Yeah, no kidding, lol.

Anung

Un Rama
Looks great from what I've seen, which was ages ago. Really looking forward to see what these guys can cook up.

Great OT.

Dusk Golem

Hello there Dusk. LOVE all of your horror threads. Wish you were active on twitter so I can keep up with all your horror game journeys.

Any idea if the developers are thinking of console ports by the way?

Yai, love to spread the horror enthusiasm. Twitter is honestly the social feed I am probably most quiet on. OTL

Console ports they haven't talked about. As the game is a Unity game it'd certainly be possible. From what the developers have said though, it sounds like before they think about porting stuff they first want to make sure everything is in order. I have my suspicions if there was a console version it'd be after all the DLC stuff is completed.

Oh woah, completely forgot about this. Definitely picking it up.

Also gives them the opportunity to make a little money back and fund development for longer. I just hope the first act isn't rushed, and is of a reasonable length.

It was announced as releasing much sooner than I think most expected.

This is my concern, and I'll voice what I think here when I play it on the 13th. My guess was this was related to the lack of funds as well. When they pitched the game to nearby publishers, they apparently were asked by all to turn the game into a non-horror game or make it a mobile game or something of that sort, so they decided to go for crowd-funding, which they succeeded, but only netted them $26k, which is very little to make a game like this. Certain they've been doing the best they could, but when they expanded from a 4-man team to a 20-man team, I was concerned about their budget, and assume this is the method they used to help fund the rest of the game and get the game out sooner (they said over a year ago it might take a while for them to finish the game). Hoping the first act is of decent length and satisfying as well~

Oh yeah, thanks for the very detailed OP Dusk Golem! You make the best threads for horror stuff.

Is that a bonus costume lol?

Always happy to spread horror love. I think it's a bonus costume, they make mention there's alt costumes in the game.

I remember seeing some previews for this a while ago and thinking it looked pretty cool, but the Act 1/Act 2 thing is disappointing, even if circumstances may have forced the developer's hand. I'd just rather wait until both parts are available before I decide to jump in.

Yeah, no kidding, lol.

I'm thinking of it like an episodic deal, but it does feel like the decision was made probably somewhat out of necessity. They had said a year ago development time would likely take a while and the game would be more expensive than $15 (which is what the funding price for the digital game was). I guess their method to help fund it more was to split the game into two parts, and release the first Act as is. To be seen how it fully plays out.

On transparent dresses, I think it might be the lighting as it doesn't look transparent in the Launch Trailer. But I will admit when it as pointed out it does look like that in a few screen. XD;

Looks great from what I've seen, which was ages ago. Really looking forward to see what these guys can cook up.

Great OT.

Cite me for the curious too, I have my expectations kind of mild out but very intrigued. Originally when I heard of the game in 2012, I kind of expected a medium-quality but enjoyable in its own right game, but then the demo was much better quality and put together than I expected. So I am curious if the game will live up to my medium-quality expectation based on early screens and info, or if it'll surprise me like the demo did.

Tizoc

001.jpg

dat-ass-meme.jpg

Not a fan of horror games but glad to see a game like this getting released worldwide.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Getting this day one! I'm really looking forward to playing through this and am sad that I missed the crowdfunding for it.

Nice, I'm looking forward to this. It looks cool as a new horror game but I'm also really interested in it being from a region where I haven't played a lot of games from, as well as having horror influences from their own regional stories.

Dusk Golem

APPARENTLY the game was accidentally available for purchase for a few minutes a bit early, so a few people now have the game and could play it for a few moments, but it was quickly fixed,

However, because of this someone played the beginning of the game. I'm not watching, but can see the beginning of the game here:

I did confirm one thing though, and important: The Demo is actually NOT in the game, so playing it won't ruin a part of the regular game for you. Anyways, Facecam and all, here's someone who uploaded a video of the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Pqr5eePkA

Raitaro

As a Dutch person coming from a partly Indonesian family, I'm quite happy to see this game get released after I first learned about its existence a few years back. My step-grandma (is that a word?) used to tell the most fascinating ghost stories from back home (involving a black and a white ghost tiger, and rolling heads that crossed the roads) so I wonder if any of those things might be seen in this game.

I do remember coming across the developers at last year's Eurogamer Expo, where they had a small booth that only very few people seemed to be interested in to check out (possibly because of how different the game and booth looked). Very good that they pressed on though. The world needs more games coming from different cultures that try to incorporate a bit from their own stories and legends into them.

It's probably too scary for my tastes though!

Ashtar

What!? IndoGAF. Rise up!
When this dropping? I don't usually buy PC games but if it has controller support how can I not support my indobros?
Note: I'm not Indonesian but I have Indonesian family (step mom, sibling )

Nemesis_

You actually have to play the demo don't you? I didn't realise the proper game will be continuing from the demo.

Dusk Golem

You actually have to play the demo don't you? I didn't realise the proper game will be continuing from the demo.

I don't think you -need- too as not much story happens in the demo, but I glanced and it seems the game starts right after where the demo ended.
The demo is a nightmare sequence our main character has before the events of the game.

Fady K

Yai, love to spread the horror enthusiasm. Twitter is honestly the social feed I am probably most quiet on. OTL

Console ports they haven't talked about. As the game is a Unity game it'd certainly be possible. From what the developers have said though, it sounds like before they think about porting stuff they first want to make sure everything is in order. I have my suspicions if there was a console version it'd be after all the DLC stuff is completed.

Like you, I'm a horror game fanatic and would love to play them *all*. (Ironically I'm not into horror movies at ALL). Nice to see that a console version may be possible, and even nicer to see such a game coming from Indonesia :D

Dusk Golem

On DreadOut length, my friend has been playing the game for a little over 5 hours now and hasn't reached the end yet, so looks like it shouldn't be a huge concern for Act 1.

In a similar way, the two people with Steam reviews for DreadOut on the Store page have 5 & 7 hours on the game respectably both and neither of them have the achievement for finishing the game, so either everyone playing it is slow or Act 1 is fairly decently lengthed.

Dusk Golem

Apparently everyone who got DreadOut from Indiegogo will be getting their Steam keys tomorrow.

Will stream the game and give impressions here tomorrow.

Top Bottom