• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever get another Uncharted on Vita?

Cloudy

Banned
I really enjoyed Golden Abyss besides the forced touchscreen use. What is Bend Studios up to these days? Seems like this would be an easy money-maker and/or system-seller

Spaulding

I hope they are working on a new Syphoon Filter. Although I'd appreciate another Uncharted on Vita as well.

JordanN

Banned
Kaz Hirai "What's a PS Vita? Is that a new smartphone?"

If Vita doesn't even get a mention at this e3, it wont matter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would be kind of surprised.

They seem to be winding down pretty much all their internal Western support, so I'd imagine if Bend is making a Vita game, it might be a downloadable thing that also works on PS4, where the portable Uncharted flavor wouldn't work as well.

Almost certainly not. I think Bend are now working on a PS4 game, and Naughty Dog probably wouldn't go near the Vita with a barge pole. Golden Abyss sold pretty well, but incomparable to the mainline versions.

GYNGA

Nope. Bend (and basically all other Sony's western studios) are working on a PS4 game. Almost all the Vita first-party support comes from SCEJA nowadays

Wait, what?

They said this when?

OE6onBj.png

Orlov

They said this when?

Streaming is the new AAA!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/06/new-slimmer-lighter-ps-vita-model-out-today/#comments

The economics simply don’t work with the traditional process. We have to do something different to get AAA games on Vita. We accomplished it to a certain degree by making PS4 games work on Vita via remote play. PS Now will be another way, streaming PS3 games on Vita. I can’t wait until PS Now is out on Vita – I hope you’ll try out the experience and let me know what you think.

Cloudy

Banned
Seems like a chicken/egg situation to me. If you put great original games on the console, people will buy it. Pumping out port and after port along with stereotypical handheld games won't get it done...

That said, I think the vita library is pretty decent but too many of the best games are ports and psp/ps1 classics

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems like a chicken/egg situation to me. If you put great original games on the console, people will buy it. Pumping out port and after port along with stereotypical handheld games won't get it done...

At this point I think they view it as a dead console in a dead product line, so they're trying to just make the people who bought it as happy as they can without spending much.

In Japan it has some success and the PS4 has no success, so they're investing more there for at least the short term.

I imagine they would like to have the PS4 do well there so they didn't have the awkward split, but if no Japanese third parties are getting games out the door, there's not much they can do.

That's tragic. Hard to see why they released the Vita at all, there doesn't seem to have been any real desire to make games for it internally. It's just a PS4 peripheral now.

They're releasing several big Japanese developed games. Oreshika 2, Gravity Rush 2, Freedom Wars etc. But Japanese gamers still buy handheld games in large enough volumes for Sony to justify putting money into more expensive games. There's no reason for them to sink millions of dollars into another Vita Uncharted just to watch it sell like shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's tragic. Hard to see why they released the Vita at all, there doesn't seem to have been any real desire to make games for it internally. It's just a PS4 peripheral now.

This is basically the core issue with long lead times.

The Vita started development in 2008 when making another handheld still seemed reasonable.

By the time they hit launch, the types of games that would be required to support a device like there were ultimately too expensive for Sony's taste and third parties weren't very interested either.

That's why we got a ton of PSP-like titles at launch, since they were preparing for that, and then they kind of just tapered off after that once the system bombed. They couldn't rally support, and it became clear the system wasn't going to be widely successful, so they just finished what they had in development and moved on with their Western studios.

They repositioned it toward indie developers and enthusiasts as they realized indies would benefit from a small but active buying audience and the small but active buying audience would benefit from indies.

They're releasing several big Japanese developed games. Oreshika 2, Gravity Rush 2, Freedom Wars etc. But Japanese gamers still buy handheld games in large enough volumes for Sony to justify putting money into more expensive games. There's no reason for them to sink millions of dollars into another Vita Uncharted just to watch it sell like shit.

Right, thus the nature of the support split.

They knew they could get this off the ground in Japan so they went for it in a way they didn't in the West.

Hope not. Uncharted GA was ass imo.

Wish sony would just help fund localizations like they said they would.

Tales of Hearts R is a start i guess, if a mediocre one. but thats a different discussion.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is basically the core issue with long lead times.

The Vita started development in 2008 when making another handheld still seemed reasonable.

By the time they hit launch, the types of games that would be required to support a device like there were ultimately too expensive for Sony's taste and third parties weren't very interested either.

That's why we got a ton of PSP-like titles at launch, since they were preparing for that, and then they kind of just tapered off after that once the system bombed. They couldn't rally support, and it became clear the system wasn't going to be widely successful, so they just finished what they had in development and moved on with their Western studios.

They repositioned it toward indie developers and enthusiasts as they realized indies would benefit from a small but active buying audience and the small but active buying audience would benefit from indies. .

Also, don't forget the significance of losing Monster Hunter's support to 3DS.

Really, that was a REALLY awfully stupid move of Sony.

Cloudy

Banned
So how badly did U:GA sell?

PS Now will be great if it doesn't cost too much. As for ps4 remote play, I can't get it to work away from my home network

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

This really is sad... I do prefer more Japanese games to western games, but the fact that NO ONE wants to even try or bother with it, makes me depressed :/ Nintendo has their WiiU and at least THEY are putting games on it!

I love my Vita to bits, and it's also sad how the 64GB cards are in the top 100 best sellers on Amazon AS AN IMPORT... I just... I'm a loss at words to describe this situation. Not all Vita owners want it as a streaming/port/Indi-palooza handheld... The third parties have at least been awesome with releasing stuff for it. For the first time ever, the niche titles have WON, it feels like.

0 chance. It's the opposite situation/problem I have with Nintendo right now. All kinds of original/big games hit the 3DS on a regular basis (from both Nintendo and third parties). But on the Wii U it has been the same old story of "wait for the next safe sequel!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also, don't forget the significance of losing Monster Hunter's support to 3DS.

Really, that was a REALLY awfully stupid move of Sony.

I imagine they tried, but Capcom was rather infatuated with the 3DS at the time.

Their CEO referred to it as the ultimate gaming platform and they greenlit a ton of games for it across a wide variety of genres.

I imagine this was inspired by it being capable of a lot of genres, but also relatively cheap to develop for.

Some of those worked out, but quite a few didn't, so they have a much more reserved line-up now and are focusing on mobile and asian PC f2p as their big focus instead, which theoretically hits the notes they felt the 3DS did, but with more examples of outlandishly huge profits.

Strike

All signs point to Bend's next project being on the PS4. So unless Naughty Dog decides to make their next Uncharted title multiplatform or Sony gets another studio to do it, chances aren't very good.
Damn shame. Maybe SCEJ can get some smaller, lower risk projects out of reviving some of their old IPs (Ape Escape, Legend of the Dragoon, PaRappa, LocoRoco, etc.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So how badly did U:GA sell?

PS Now will be great if it doesn't cost too much. As for ps4 remote play, I can't get it to work away from my home network

It didn't do horribly but it was also bundled and a launch title, so the odds of it retaining its sales aren't great.

For example God of War had a huge decline iteration over iteration on PSP, so I imagine that's what they would be worried about here.

Takao

Banned
It sounds like even SCEJA are leaving the platform:

That was certainly the case with Journey, which was widely recognised around the world as being the stand-out game of 2012. But what next for the studio, after its trio of Vita games is released? Becker reveals that despite its focus on handheld right now most of the studio is busy working on PlayStation 4, although he wouldn’t be drawn on anything more specific than “we have an exciting line up of new, long awaited and innovative titles currently in development for PS4.”
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/14/what-next-for-sonys-japan-studios

I view that as a poor decision given the platform doesn't have the third party support to keep itself running.

It didn't do horribly but it was also bundled and a launch title, so the odds of it retaining its sales aren't great.

For example God of War had a huge decline iteration over iteration on PSP, so I imagine that's what they would be worried about here.

Golden Abyss was never bundled with Vita. It's been a fixture of PS+ since months after launch, though.

t26

You barely see anything from Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom aside from some ports. Namco and Koei Tecmo seem to care a bit more. At this point all you can hope for are some PS3 ports also getting release.

how did that happened?

I would guess Capcom saw more potential with the 3DS, and Sony didn't pony up the cash to make up the difference in expected profit. The choice was business as usual I'd say, and in the end payed off pretty well given the game has outsold the Vita's LTD.

Edit - The thing that surprises me is the generation over generation decline from PSP -> Vita. From 80 million to... what's the Vita at now? 4? Can someone correct me here :)

Another thing I'm curious about - Does the Vita have a million seller?

kartu

Banned
Well, why does it need exclusive superexpensive games?
I think it would do just fine with ports of games like Prince of Persia, Raymen etc.

Cloudy

Banned
Edit - The thing that surprises me is the generation over generation decline from PSP -> Vita. From 80 million to... what's the Vita at now? 4? Can someone correct me here :)

Smartphones. Nokia was way ahead of the times with the idea for N-gage

Smartphones. Nokia was way ahead of the times with the idea for N-gage

That doesn't explain all of it. Nintendo suffered about a 50% decline. In the end, the Vita will suffer a decline of over 90%. The Vita was an ill conceived console that Sony surely regrets. Poor first party support. Poor 3rd party support. It does have indies though, I'll give it that. It's a good indie machine.

JayEH

Uncharted on Vita was ok but I thought it was pretty boring. Made me just want to play Uncharted 3.

For me at least, big franchises watered down for portables never work.

Hatchtag

Banned
They never brought AAA games to the Vita imo. Non numbered titles made by a different team don't count as AAA in my book.

Cloudy

Banned
That doesn't explain all of it. Nintendo suffered about a 50% decline. In the end, the Vita will suffer a decline of over 90%. The Vita was an ill conceived console that Sony surely regrets. Poor first party support. Poor 3rd party support. It does have indies though, I'll give it that. It's a good indie machine.

Two things. A big chunk of Nintendo's audience is kids who will have handhelds bought for them.

Nintendo also supports their handhelds pretty strongly. If you look at the libraries for Nintendo consoles, the handhelds tend to have the better exclusive games the last few years...

Maddrical

For me at least, big franchises watered down for portables never work.

I feel the same way. I'm forcing myself to finish Uncharted & Killzone on the Vita, but I'm not really enjoying them. Gravity Rush, Olliolli, Miami Hotline and Stardust easily are the most fun I have on my Vita. I don't see why people complain about the lack of 'AAA' games on the Vita.

GYNGA

Another thing I'm curious about - Does the Vita have a million seller?
There's not enough sales data to know whether there's a million seller or not. Uncharted was at 500k (excluding digital I think) a few months after launch so it is very possible that it reached 1 million sales

Top Bottom